Print Thread
Transformer Humming - Simple Fix #7446621 02/28/19 04:46 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Unfortunately, I'm cursed with a good sense of hearing those things that might need attention. Those of you living with the same curse know what I'm talking about, the ability to hear noises emulating from wheel bearings, crankshafts, or just about anything that's rotating or moving in some way. With all the kids now gone and on their own, the house is much quieter, which means I can hear a roach fart if I try hard enough. Several weeks back I was upstairs late one night when I heard a distinctive hum that caught my attention. Because of my earlier curse, I had to chase it down the next day. Turned out to be the low voltage transformer in one of my central air units. I decided to go ahead and order a replacement, even though I suspected it wasn't a problem knowing that all transformers can and do often hum from the slight movement between the plates. Anyway, I finally decided to climb into the attic to replace it. If only I had looked at the new transformer a little closer before starting. No, it was the correct transformer. After removing the old transformer (thankfully I left it connected) I noticed the new transformer had a foam cushion where it rests in the central air unit. Now I must admit the thought had crossed my mind earlier to remove the old transformer and put rubber grommets under each of the four screws to cushion it from the frame. However, when I saw the new transformer already had foam padding for that purpose, it became a no-brainer to follow my earlier plan. Besides, I didn't want to mess with the connections on the control board (which can be a hassle to remove) if there was not good reason. Well, now I have a spare low-voltage transformer that fits both central air units if I need it.

The wife said she never heard a thing, but of course, doesn't suffer from the same curse. In fact, as a school teacher she has the ability to tune out any sounds she desires, including those emulating from me.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Transformer Humming - Simple Fix [Re: Texas Dan] #7446677 02/28/19 05:27 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I was a radioman. That 60 cycle hum makes me crazy.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Transformer Humming - Simple Fix [Re: Texas Dan] #7446879 02/28/19 08:22 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Some times it's a blessing to be almost deaf!!!!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide