Print Thread
2019 Colorado Big Game Issue #7440445 02/21/19 04:01 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
FYI for those planning on hunting Colorado this fall, it's already time to start planning. I received my 2019 Colorado Big Game issue in the mail a couple days ago. The deadline to apply for big game licenses is April 2. There are no real increases for out of state residents except for the application cost will increase from $3 to $9 per species (CO residents will see a number of price increases).

I'm planning on 3rd season bull elk in GMU 67. Can't wait.

Re: 2019 Colorado Big Game Issue [Re: Gringo Bling] #7440947 02/22/19 12:26 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
You now have to buy a non refundable license regardless if you hunted last year

Per CP&W
“Before applying for the big game draw, all adult & youth applicants MUST 1st purchase one of the 2019 qualifying licenses (available starting March 1)
Spring turkey license
Annual small game license
Annual small game/fishing combination license (resident only)
Veteran lifetime small game/fishing combination license​ (resident only, 60% disabled or Purple Heart)”

Also they raised the application cost significantly for moose, goat and sheep. Think for NR it’s a $100 but don’t qoute me

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: 2019 Colorado Big Game Issue [Re: Gringo Bling] #7441032 02/22/19 01:41 AM
G
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Wow, I didn’t see that. That’s bullsh, basically a $56 fee tacked on to the license before you can even apply. At a minimum, they could make it a mandatory fishing license instead of small game or turkey (which the overwhelming majority of non-residents will never use).

Re: 2019 Colorado Big Game Issue [Re: Gringo Bling] #7441047 02/22/19 01:51 AM
G
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Actually it’s going up to $80 for 2019 for ​a non-resident Annual Small Game Hunting License. And fishing licenses are going up from $55 to $95. I wonder if that will impact the number of non-residents that apply. That’s a pretty good chunk of change to many people.

Re: 2019 Colorado Big Game Issue [Re: Gringo Bling] #7441052 02/22/19 01:56 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
Actually it’s going up to $80 for 2019 for ​a non-resident Annual Small Game Hunting License. And fishing licenses are going up from $55 to $95. I wonder if that will impact the number of non-residents that apply. That’s a pretty good chunk of change to many people.

Concour, I have no problem paying a little extra for conservation but starting to get a little steep. I’m 10 plus bonus points on all three once in a lifetime so I cant bail now.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: 2019 Colorado Big Game Issue [Re: Gringo Bling] #7442511 02/23/19 08:49 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
I was just reading this in the 2019 Big Game book I got in the mail. To apply requires Nonresident annual small game $81.75, Habitat Stamp is tacked on with the small game license $10, and Nonresident application processing fee per species per draw $9. So a minimum of $100.75 now to get in the game. No other preference point fees for Deer, elk, antelope and bear other than the $9 application fee for each. You no longer put up the full big game license fee up front for each that you had to wait till after the draw to be refunded. If this is not right as I read it, let me know.

I think this will actually increase the number of non residents to apply as they no longer have to put up the funds in advance for each big game license. Also because it only costs another $9 to add a PP for each now, people that used to focus on PPs for only one or two species will include all four now. The other big game now requiring the $50 or $100 fee I think will also see an increase in applications. Even though there is the fee, applicants don't have to put up the significantly high license fees up front just to get the PPs anymore. The $100 license for Bear going down to $100 is going to sell a lot of Bear licenses and have more people including Bear in the PP draw. I also think the fact that resident license fees going up while the same nonresident license fees not going up is foreshadowing a significant across the board nonresident big game license fee increase in the future. This will create a Points Creep situation.

It is absolutely absurd that TPWD continues to allow nonresidents to apply in our drawn hunts under the same requirements and costs as a resident.

Re: 2019 Colorado Big Game Issue [Re: Gringo Bling] #7443762 02/25/19 05:16 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
I am probably an exception but having to buy a "qualifying" license will actually save me $$$ every year. I was a CO resident for more than 50 years before work brought me to TX and I apply for elk, deer, pronghorn and bear every year in hard to draw areas. Since I almost always get a preference point that means I was forking over about $160 a year in recent years. This way I get a small game license (I hunt pheasants there every year on a one week license) and I also spend a week there trout fishing in the summer. So I need the small game license anyways.

I have too many preference points to quit now. This year I have 23 for elk, 17 for deer, 14 for bear, 3+10 weighted for sheep and moose. I drew the pronghorn tag a few years back and am building points and since I took a goat in 2002 I don't put in for that any longer. On Mar 01 I will put in for the main 4. Not putting in for sheep and moose this year but will next year.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: 2019 Colorado Big Game Issue [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #7443841 02/25/19 06:33 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by QMC(SW/EXW)
I am probably an exception but having to buy a "qualifying" license will actually save me $$$ every year. I was a CO resident for more than 50 years before work brought me to TX and I apply for elk, deer, pronghorn and bear every year in hard to draw areas. Since I almost always get a preference point that means I was forking over about $160 a year in recent years. This way I get a small game license (I hunt pheasants there every year on a one week license) and I also spend a week there trout fishing in the summer. So I need the small game license anyways.

I have too many preference points to quit now. This year I have 23 for elk, 17 for deer, 14 for bear, 3+10 weighted for sheep and moose. I drew the pronghorn tag a few years back and am building points and since I took a goat in 2002 I don't put in for that any longer. On Mar 01 I will put in for the main 4. Not putting in for sheep and moose this year but will next year.

You need a Unit 2 Archery tag....

Re: 2019 Colorado Big Game Issue [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7443869 02/25/19 07:10 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
Nope. I have been holding out for a unit 2 rifle tag for the early season. I have hunted cows for over 20 years in unit 2 and I know where the huge bulls hang out. But it takes 26 points. If I was still a CO resident I could draw but not as a non-res. But I could pretty much get any other elk tag I want but for me it is unit 2 for the last bull I will ever take. I have shot 25 elk and only want one more and it has to be a big one and unit 2 is where I know I can hang my tag on a monster.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: 2019 Colorado Big Game Issue [Re: Sniper John] #7444585 02/26/19 03:03 PM
G
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Sniper John

I think this will actually increase the number of non residents to apply as they no longer have to put up the funds in advance for each big game license. Also because it only costs another $9 to add a PP for each now, people that used to focus on PPs for only one or two species will include all four now. The other big game now requiring the $50 or $100 fee I think will also see an increase in applications. Even though there is the fee, applicants don't have to put up the significantly high license fees up front just to get the PPs anymore.

For 2018, CPW changed it's process and didn't require you to prepay for the license before you actually drew. However, you only had to get the habitat stamp and not a small game or turkey license. I personally can get use out of the small game license because I also spend a couple weeks each summer out in CO. But, the overwhelming majority of non-residents have no use at all for those ancillary licenses.

As for preference points, I would always just apply for a license in a unit where I knew there was no way I'd be able to draw that year. My unsuccessful applications netted me a preference point and only cost me $3. So that's actually another price hike now for me.

I'd rather pay the money up front and get refunded 2 months later if I didn't draw than face these price hikes that apply whether I'm successful or not.

Re: 2019 Colorado Big Game Issue [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #7444597 02/26/19 03:15 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by QMC(SW/EXW)
Nope. I have been holding out for a unit 2 rifle tag for the early season. I have hunted cows for over 20 years in unit 2 and I know where the huge bulls hang out. But it takes 26 points. If I was still a CO resident I could draw but not as a non-res. But I could pretty much get any other elk tag I want but for me it is unit 2 for the last bull I will ever take. I have shot 25 elk and only want one more and it has to be a big one and unit 2 is where I know I can hang my tag on a monster.

So you are saying you don’t want to point pool grin Well I know who to call if I ever draw the Archery tag!!

Re: 2019 Colorado Big Game Issue [Re: Gringo Bling] #7445637 02/27/19 03:22 PM
H
Henly Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Colorado has reduced the "up front" costs of applying for a license or preference point since they do not now require the applicant to submit payment for the license which is refunded if not successful. However, they have substantially [/i]increased[i] the net costs by requiring about $100 in other non-refundable fees and licenses. It was a way to raise more revenue without raising the actual price of the big game license. Most applicants have no use for the small game license which you are now required to buy (which has nearly doubled in price). There being no nexus between having a small game license and hunting big game, a court would might very well find such a regulation illegal, however, no one with standing is likely to challenge the regulation, so its lack of legal consistency is irrelevant.

Re: 2019 Colorado Big Game Issue [Re: Henly] #7445999 02/27/19 10:10 PM
G
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Henly
Colorado has reduced the "up front" costs of applying for a license or preference point since they do not now require the applicant to submit payment for the license which is refunded if not successful. However, they have substantially [/i]increased[i] the net costs by requiring about $100 in other non-refundable fees and licenses.

The "net" to CPW is significantly more than $100 because the $100 applies to every single non-res applicant, regardless of whether they are successful in drawing or not.

Also, I wouldn't really deem it as "reducing up front costs" because it's not a expense if you get it refunded. It used to be a pre-pay with a refund if necessary.

At any rate, if this reduces the number of applicants AND CPW issues fewer licenses in draw units, then I'd be happy. I'm going to hunt every year regardless and I'd like fewer hunters around me while hunting.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide