Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Creepy Things? [Re: captdavid] #7447069 02/28/19 11:48 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I had one of the black and yellow orb weaver garden spiders that I shared a blind with out at Twin Buttes at San Angelo. For the first few weeks of bow season it would build a web about two feet from my face. It was pretty awesome to watch as the sun came up.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Creepy Things? [Re: captdavid] #7447414 03/01/19 01:38 PM
T
TKandMike Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I remember a video from a few years back of a guy getting in his blind for the first time in a while and a bunch of rattlebugs had decided to den up there. That'd be a pretty terrible surprise to find in a blind.

Re: Creepy Things? [Re: jphunts6165] #7447426 03/01/19 01:54 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by jphunts6165
Was in pop up early October and could only open one little window, (had an old doe would try to stick her head in and see if you were in there) so was very dark. Thought I got bit by a horsefly on hand and swatted it away. Went to sleep as soon as evening hunt was over because get bad. Couldn’t make myself wake up next morning( out of it). Sat in blind again in morning and realized something was wrong when release wouldn’t fit on arm. Waited till daylight, turned on flashlight and was sitting in a black widow breeding ground.

Dang, did you have to go to the ER to get yourself taken care of?

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Creepy Things? [Re: captdavid] #7447432 03/01/19 02:05 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Well, when we have spiders this big I'm going to stop hunting.

Re: Creepy Things? [Re: captdavid] #7447523 03/01/19 03:46 PM
lonestar Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Nose to nose with a ringtail getting into an elevated blind once. Couldn't get him out. Finally gave up and moved to another blind. Another time went into a tower blind early dark morning and had an owl in the blind. Me and the owl both were trying to get out! The owl finally went out a window.

Re: Creepy Things? [Re: captdavid] #7447555 03/01/19 04:07 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
Had an Owl try to get into a blind I was in. When you are 15 feet up on a tower in a box, you don't expect something to come in the widow all of a sudden. He circled around and tried again too.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Creepy Things? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7447568 03/01/19 04:22 PM
B
BubRay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by CCBIRDDOGMAN
Had an Owl try to get into a blind I was in. When you are 15 feet up on a tower in a box, you don't expect something to come in the widow all of a sudden. He circled around and tried again too.

Had this happen more than once. Sure will wake you up!

Take Care,
Bub
Re: Creepy Things? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7448355 03/02/19 08:54 PM
J
jphunts6165 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
Was in pop up early October and could only open one little window, (had an old doe would try to stick her head in and see if you were in there) so was very dark. Thought I got bit by a horsefly on hand and swatted it away. Went to sleep as soon as evening hunt was over because get bad. Couldn’t make myself wake up next morning( out of it). Sat in blind again in morning and realized something was wrong when release wouldn’t fit on arm. Waited till daylight, turned on flashlight and was sitting in a black widow breeding ground.

We were about 50 miles from a decent hospital. I got ou a pen and marked the red marks on arm in a circle to see how far poison had gotten. Forced myself to drink until couldn’t handle any more. Then ate and after starting to pee and such I started feeling better. The red marks never got higher than about an inch above elbow. Hunting that evening and had amazing hunt. My dad has a 157 on the wall of his shop and had two bigger ones and him, at the feeder at the same time. Ha ha now days I will burn a blind down before I fight spiders!

Re: Creepy Things? [Re: jphunts6165] #7448359 03/02/19 08:56 PM
J
jphunts6165 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU

We were about 50 miles from a decent hospital. I got ou a pen and marked the red marks on arm in a circle to see how far poison had gotten. Forced myself to drink until couldn’t handle any more. Then ate and after starting to pee and such I started feeling better. The red marks never got higher than about an inch above elbow. Hunting that evening and had amazing hunt. My dad has a 157 on the wall of his shop and had two bigger ones and him, at the feeder at the same time. Ha ha now days I will burn a blind down before I fight spiders!

My arm was still swollen and couldn’t get my release to fit on my arm was the worst part. Watching those bucks and not being able to do anything about it.

Re: Creepy Things? [Re: Papalote] #7450795 03/05/19 04:58 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Papalote
TICS!! Sat a box blind in Sonora. My hind legs started itching. Pulled off boots and socks and was covered up with seed tics might near the knees. Had to been thousands!! I give'm a bath in alcohol and scraped them off with my sodbuster.

Many years ago a friend of mine had a family from France come to visit while they toured the US. To entertain their son, several of us took him pond fishing at a ranch east of OKC. While fishing from the bank, this French kid, who was wearing shorts, asks us in his accent what was on his legs. His legs were COVERED in seed ticks. Hundreds! And to make it much worse, so were the rest of us. Pretty funny site - a bunch of dudes dropping clothes on ground and riding back to house in our skivvies. I plucked dozens off me and I had the fewest of the group.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Creepy Things? [Re: BubRay] #7450810 03/05/19 05:06 PM
T
TKandMike Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BubRay
Originally Posted by CCBIRDDOGMAN

Had this happen more than once. Sure will wake you up!

X2 those things are terrifying in the dark

Re: Creepy Things? [Re: captdavid] #7451517 03/06/19 10:40 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
2 things come to mind. Got into a blind before daylight. When daylight came I found a rattle snake in it.
Climbed up into a box blind, about 8 ft tall, and a coon and I enjoyed each others company all the way to the ground.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Creepy Things? [Re: captdavid] #7456156 03/12/19 12:22 AM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
While sitting in a 15 ft tripod stand during archery and wearing a gilly suit with matching head gear had a hawk land on my head. Nearly shxxt myself.

Last year I climbed in my favorite tree stand and as I reached the platform a very unfriendly porcupine was staring in my face from about 2 feet away. I used my bow to push him out of the stand he made an abrupt decent to the ground. About 15 minutes later after I got settled in the stand this pain in the neck climbs back up and onto the platform. His second departure was a bit more convincing as he decided to seek refuge in a tree about 50ft away.

Last edited by Flashprism; 03/12/19 12:23 AM.
Re: Creepy Things? [Re: Flashprism] #7456160 03/12/19 12:26 AM
S
Struggle Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted by Flashprism
While sitting in a 15 ft tripod stand during archery and wearing a gilly suit with matching head gear had a hawk land on my head. Nearly shxxt myself.

Last year I climbed in my favorite tree stand and as I reached the platform a very unfriendly porcupine was staring in my face from about 2 feet away. I used my bow to push him out of the stand he made an abrupt decent to the ground. About 15 minutes later after I got settled in the stand this pain in the neck climbs back up and onto the platform. His second departure was a bit more convincing as he decided to seek refuge in a tree about 50ft away.

Why wear a gilly suit in a stand?

Re: Creepy Things? [Re: Struggle] #7456475 03/12/19 01:27 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
As I have minimal camo around the Tripod platform I use the gilley for improved cover The deer on my place particularly the Big bucks have an uncanny ability to sense my presence which is minimized by the gilley!!! Although I still have been made a few times.

Re: Creepy Things? [Re: captdavid] #7463094 03/20/19 12:06 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I've had run in's with Coons, Ringtails, Owls, Buzzards, and snakes, but the one I remember the most was when I climbed up into an oak tree before daylight during archery season several years ago.
I settled into my perch on that limb, and it was a warm October morning so I was wearing a T shirt, and just as it started to get light enough to see shadows I started feeling stinging where my T shirt met my belt line.
I swatted at the sting figuring it's those dang skeeters tormenting me, but the swatting seemed to make it worse.
I pulled out my flashlight and shined the light on the limb I was sitting and discovered I was covered in fire ants along with the entire limb I was on.
I scrambled out of the tree and dropped my drawers, pulled off my shirt and stood there naked trying to get the ants off of me.
That was the end of my hunt that morning.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Creepy Things? [Re: captdavid] #7463247 03/20/19 03:01 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
Thought of another. Climbed up into a tree stand that was on the back side of a large oak overlooking a small clearing. The oak forked at about 15' which was perfect, you could sit in the swivel boat seat facing the tree and you could shoot between the two forks and you were well hidden.

About 10' up one of the forks it had broken off and was hollow, one morning just as it got daylight, I heard a noise, looked up and a coon had just came out of the hollow spot and the only way for him to go, was over me. I raised my 30-06 and clicked the safety off fixin to blow his azz out of the tree when he turned around, I tought he was going to go back in his hole but much to my surprise, he bailed out of the tree from well over 20 feet up. It was wild, he spread all fours and I swear fell slowly, like a parachute, hit the ground and was gone.

Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Creepy Things? [Re: captdavid] #7463343 03/20/19 04:44 PM
G
Gacman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
two years ago I killed 75 yellow jackets in one blind on a cool morning. thankfully they were lethargic. Never in my life have I seen so many in one blind. I've been infested with Asian beetles too. They leave little red bite marks all over you.

Re: Creepy Things? [Re: captdavid] #7463419 03/20/19 06:14 PM
T
texasgal Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Many, many years ago: Dad dropped me off at blind in the morning, the blind was a yellow jacket nest and I am allergic to. Climbed down and was sitting on a cross beam when a rattlesnake came over. I ended up on top of the feeder for the morning hunt. Still laugh as I remember the look on my Dad's face when he drove up and I was sitting on top of the feeder.

Re: Creepy Things? [Re: Gacman] #7463877 03/21/19 04:55 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Gacman
two years ago I killed 75 yellow jackets in one blind on a cool morning. thankfully they were lethargic. Never in my life have I seen so many in one blind. I've been infested with Asian beetles too. They leave little red bite marks all over you.

I have abandoned a few blinds due to wasps. Kill them and hunt it next week works.

Re: Creepy Things? [Re: captdavid] #7473641 03/31/19 02:01 AM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
The fifty something dude next door that videos us and has lived next to his creepy dad his whole life. No chicks knockin on that dudes door. As for the woods? Nahh. Just east tx woods.

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Creepy Things? [Re: captdavid] #7476404 04/03/19 10:56 AM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
Never had a problem, was walking in from stand and almost stepped on a rattler, never saw it, but only time I can remember jumping like Michael Jorda.

Big Beckett!!
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide