Print Thread
Thermals #7440105 02/21/19 02:38 AM
T
TonyLama Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Ive been looking at the Pulsar rxq30v and flir pts 233. I like the outdoor alert setting on the 233 and dont no about the pulsars green setting but I like the price of the pulsar. Theres not many videos of the pulsar since it doesnt have recording but Im wanting to see what you guys think and hands on experiences.

Re: Thermals [Re: TonyLama] #7440157 02/21/19 03:41 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
I love my pts233. To be honest I did not consider the rxq30v. Considered the Apex but decided to go with the flir.

[Linked Image]
Re: Thermals [Re: TonyLama] #7440173 02/21/19 03:59 AM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
The RXQ30V is currently out of production (February 2019) but should be back to shipping, hopefully in 45-60 days. Pulsar is removing the green tinted AMOLED and replacing it with a standard black and white AMOLED that their other scopes have. I was told there is some re-tooling that must take place to allow for this new display and that was the reason for the approximate 3 month downtime. So when it comes back it should have a normal display screen.

I really like both optics and I've killed a lot of hogs with both and in my honest opinion it comes down to one thing......do you want to record video or not? If not, save $300 and get the RXQ. If you want to record video....buy the PTS233. The scopes are SO similar and the image quality is almost identical in my opinion, I just can't see any other real reason to go with the FLIR other than the video recording.

Also, I know there will be some who disagree with me on this but I've yet to find anyone who hunts very much who really uses any of the color palettes. The Outdoor Alert looks really cool for selling scopes but it performs no useful function in the field and is actually distracting. I tried to shoot a coon off of a feeder with Outdoor Alert one night and I couldn't do it. The red/orange glow was so distracting I couldn't find a good aiming point I literally had to stop, turn it back to white hot and then take the shot.lol Again, to each their own but I don't see it as a reason to choose one over the other.

Video recording, that's what it really boils down to in my opinion.

Feel free to ask any more questions, I'm glad to help in any way I can.

- Jason

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
The Late Night Vision Show - Co-Host
[Linked Image]
Night Vision, Thermal & Accessories
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Thermals [Re: Outdoor Legacy] #7440199 02/21/19 04:45 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy
The RXQ30V is currently out of production (February 2019) but should be back to shipping, hopefully in 45-60 days. Pulsar is removing the green tinted AMOLED and replacing it with a standard black and white AMOLED that their other scopes have. I was told there is some re-tooling that must take place to allow for this new display and that was the reason for the approximate 3 month downtime. So when it comes back it should have a normal display screen.

With that info I would really consider it then. I only run black or white hot depending on conditions so the other palettes and video meant nothing.

[Linked Image]
Re: Thermals [Re: TonyLama] #7440241 02/21/19 12:02 PM
Pootie Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
I've been using the rxq30v since they came out. I just wanted to be able to shoot, had no desire to record, which I suspect would wain after a bit. The rxq30v has been simple and dependable to use. I hunt less than 100 yds, ID is easy. Green display has not been a problem for me. Simply put, It works beautifully for me. As Jason stated above, whether you want to record or not should let you decide. Jack

If you find yourself feeling useless, remember it took 20 years, trillions of dollars, and four presidents to replace the Taliban with the Taliban.

Sometimes the Universe puts you in the same situation again to see if you’re still a dumbass.
Re: Thermals [Re: TonyLama] #7440260 02/21/19 12:48 PM
T
TonyLama Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Ok thanks for the info guys I really dont care too much about recording on the outdoor alert setting could it help with finding animals? I will also be using this to spot with, Ive never even looked through a thermal so honestly I dont no how well animals stick out with black and white hot. Also on reticles I have heard some people complain about the reticle on the rxq30v that it will blend in with animals.

Re: Thermals [Re: TonyLama] #7440301 02/21/19 01:30 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by TonyLama
Ok thanks for the info guys I really dont care too much about recording on the outdoor alert setting could it help with finding animals? I will also be using this to spot with, Ive never even looked through a thermal so honestly I dont no how well animals stick out with black and white hot. Also on reticles I have heard some people complain about the reticle on the rxq30v that it will blend in with animals.

What Jason said above is spot on. I bought a FLIR PTS536 from him several months ago and I've found that the other palettes are neat to see one time, but I always use white hot. And believe me, the animals stick out with white hot- I have seen animals (cows or deer?) at 800 yards. You can make out movement at that distance but not animal. At 150 yards you can tell the difference between a raccoon and a possum.

[Linked Image]
Re: Thermals [Re: TonyLama] #7440439 02/21/19 03:56 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I like the PTS233 a lot
I have it setup in a QD mount and remove it from rifle for a handheld spotter
You can definintely detect animals at 800 yards in a field but really need to be within a hundred to absolutely positively ID something..
A lot of times you can tell by movement, or like the other night, two pigs in one area and 100 yards away, 3 heat signatures, one larger and two smaller.. that usually means a doe and offpsring.

I personally like black hot with the black crosshairs, no problem making shots on pigs and I have killed a pig at 200 in the daylight.
I never use the outdoor alert stuff either.

Edit:
I personally enjoy getting up close to the pigs at night.. that's part of the fun of it to me.. walking with wind in my face and getting close enough to hear the corn crunching and then hearing that SWOOOSHHHH, THWAPPP!, SQUEAL is so satisfying.. so, the PTS233 works for me..

If I had to be somewhere were I really needed or wanted to shoot farther I would need a bigger, more expensive thermal.

Last edited by ccoker; 02/21/19 05:08 PM.
Re: Thermals [Re: TonyLama] #7440463 02/21/19 04:21 PM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by TonyLama
.......on the outdoor alert setting could it help with finding animals? ........Also on reticles I have heard some people complain about the reticle on the rxq30v that it will blend in with animals.

In my opinion, as I think I might have said above, I see no useful benefit of outdoor alert or any other palette, other than selling scopes. grin But seriously, no it will not help you find animals and honestly, if there is a deer or hog at, say 250 yards, it might not even glow red/orange at all because it's so small in your viewfinder.

A black and white display can only have black or white reticles and most thermals to date have black and white displays, so that's the standard. There are a few times this becomes a little annoying and I've experienced it on many different scopes but it's really a non-issue. It is worth noting that the FLIR has a full color display and includes the option for different color reticles. I love this feature and think it awesome. It's probably not a reason to spend $300 unless you have some sort of eye sight problem but it is a benefit it has over the RXQ.

- Jason

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
[Linked Image]
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Thermals [Re: Outdoor Legacy] #7444771 02/26/19 05:54 PM
R
RMac Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
Are they changing anything other than the color of the display? I actually looked through a couple scopes and liked the green display in the Pulsar over the black and white ATN. I know of a couple places that still have the Pulsar with the green display but wouldn't mind getting the newer Pulsar if something else was upgraded other than the display.

Re: Thermals [Re: TonyLama] #7447425 03/01/19 01:52 PM
T
TKandMike Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I have a pulsar so I am slightly biased towards them, but objectively reviewing both, I've had tremendous trouble getting a clear picture with FLIR's when there is any sort of moisture in the air. West Texas FLIR generally works fine, but anything in East Texas and they can leave you very frustrated.

Re: Thermals [Re: RMac] #7447638 03/01/19 05:41 PM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by RMac
Are they changing anything other than the color of the display? I actually looked through a couple scopes and liked the green display in the Pulsar over the black and white ATN. I know of a couple places that still have the Pulsar with the green display but wouldn't mind getting the newer Pulsar if something else was upgraded other than the display.

That's amazing that someone still has RXQ's on the shelf. The last shipment into the US was in December and I'm blown away that someone could have one unsold over 2 months later during some of the busiest time. People have been calling, emailing and searching all over the place trying to find them over the last couple months. That's pretty wild. Heck that guy could mark them up over retail price and still sell them! grin

But in all seriousness, the only change they've told us about is the black and white AMOLED switch out. Otherwise, as far as we know, everything else should stay the same.

Jason

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
[Linked Image]
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Thermals [Re: TonyLama] #7452951 03/07/19 07:51 PM
MDMORROW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Cabelas in allen had one sitting under their counter yesterday. The also had a RS35 flir that looked like it was about 5 years old.

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide