Print Thread
Clover for southern oklahoma #7417302 01/28/19 09:54 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Have a few plots I want to do some clover in this spring. Thinking arrowleaf clover but also looking at whitetail institutes clover (don’t know what their variety is).

Anyone had good success with a variety of clover in NTX or southern OK they care to share info about.

Ground is loamy clay, can hold moisture and this year has been really wet due to the rain (since September). Will get sun but won’t get scorched in the summer either.

Re: Clover for southern oklahoma [Re: Texas buckeye] #7428916 02/09/19 02:48 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
When I did food plots professionally we used a lot of whitetail institute products, imperial whitetail clover is a great product as is Alfa rack and a few others.

Of course it is expensive and you can do well by selecting a few different varieties available locally, usually the local feed & seed stores or county ag agents know what grows & survives well in the area.

Clover plots done right can last for 3-5 years sometimes a little longer, (really any thought out food plot) not something I'd plant if you want to disc & replant winter/summer food plots every year.
Clovers are more of a plant & maintain for 3 - 5 years food plot system. As such I'd pick a couple cool season varieties with high reseeding potential to mix with warm season varieties.
I'd also plant other species around (edges) or through the plot in strip(s), (not mixed into the clover) optimally something that will grow tall on at least one side of plot.

Level of success is in direct relation to seed bed preparation, soil prep, planting depth, if you're going to spend the money for the whitetail institute seeds or any 3 - 5 year life food plot follow seed bed prep & planting instructions.
Outstanding results take real farming, if you want to disc throw & grow I'd use something else. Like a spring or fall deer mix from a reputable source.

If I were going to take all the necessary steps to have top quality plots I wouldn't hesitate to use the white institute products, most of our customers requested them.
You can select the seeds & make up your own blend and have top quality results also.
Turner seed has everything you need offers various pre blended seeds & are knowledgable friendly folks.

If livestock is on a the property plot will have to be fenced. Many times pigs are attracted to lush plots and will wreck them in a night or two.

Re: Clover for southern oklahoma [Re: Texas buckeye] #7435047 02/15/19 05:42 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I have several Clover and Alfalfa food plots in Southern Oklahoma. Arrow leaf is native and grows well. I like to plant mine in the fall with wheat, the wheat stalks help shade it in the summer. Don't expect lush clover the first year.

Also, we top dress with 0-0-60 when planting. I also spray my clover and alfalfa plots with Clethidem (kills grasses) and Buytrac 200 (kills broadleaf)...I like to mix liquid fertilizer in the spray to keep the plots from being stunted. Antlerking sells a great product for this, which is 0-0-28 liquid fertilizer. Don't spray fields until second year. By third year, they look fantastic!

I would look hard at Alfalfa too. Deer like it better than clover usually.

Re: Clover for southern oklahoma [Re: Texas buckeye] #7435060 02/15/19 05:51 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
My formula for spraying Alfalfa or Clover is:

Butyrac 200 - 32oz
Clethidem - 16oz
Crop oil - 32oz
Antler King Clover Fuel - 1 bottle
Water - 20 gallons (could use down to 10 gallons of water if sprayer not big enough)

I southern Oklahoma I wait until April 15 toMay 1st and mow, come back a week or 2 later and spray.
Depending on how hard the animals hit the plot, I sometimes mow a couple times, usually not.
Some years I spray chemicals 2 times a year and sometimes once.
Always top dress established clover/alfalfa around Sept 15 with 0-0-60 (I use to do soil test, but know the ground now. I use 50lbs/acre)

Last note: Nothing wrong with spreading 17-17-17 around Sept 15th and broadcasting wheat/oats over the clover/alfalfa instead. 100lbs/acre

Re: Clover for southern oklahoma [Re: Texas buckeye] #7439573 02/20/19 05:58 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Appreciate the info.

So in a field that already has some clover established and wanting to finish out the plot, would you just broadcast seed without stirring up the dirt or would you turn the dirt a little and then seed? I have two plots I want to make more of a dedicated clover plot and both have some clover but not super full of clover. The one is super thick clay and I will not get any dirt work on it unless the moisture levels are ok, which hasn't been at all since Oct. The other is not as heavy clay and can easily be worked. I don't know if I should turn the dirt with a tiller and then re-seed the whole thing or just seed over the existing and see what takes.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide