Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: DH3] #7459232 03/15/19 04:44 PM
KRoyal Offline
Texoma Legend
Texoma Legend
Can't tell whether this dude is a young immature kid or a old immature adult. At first glance when reading his replies, it strikes me as a young kid with the play ground insults "I know you are but what am I". But then reading other threads by him, he implies that he is a grandfather. So I guess a little of both and old immature hate filled little man with the insults and comebacks of a 3rd grader on the play ground.

Think your problem is you have no coping skills, it is something you should have learned as a kid, but obviously you didn't. Anytime someone disagrees with you, you get all triggered and go off the deep end. This is a public forum and you asked for an opinion everyone has different opinions and not everyone will agree with you. If someone doesn't move along and don't start with the personal attacks and chest pounding. You're not going to win that fight. A lot of us have been around for a long time and will call you out without hesitation.

[Linked Image]

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: TEXASLEFTY] #7459243 03/15/19 04:58 PM
D
DH3 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY
I love this thread!!! It usually take the bunker to get this good.

Lower end Vortex stuff sucks.... unless, you like removing the scope and mailing it back to them from time to time.

DH3. I’m a mechanic and don’t think I’m smart or wealthy.

Please keep throwing the insults.... you make me LOL when you do!!!

[Linked Image]

Old age and treachery beats youth and stupid every time!
Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: KRoyal] #7459251 03/15/19 05:05 PM
D
DH3 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted by KRoyal
Can't tell whether this dude is a young immature kid or a old immature adult. At first glance when reading his replies, it strikes me as a young kid with the play ground insults "I know you are but what am I". But then reading other threads by him, he implies that he is a grandfather. So I guess a little of both and old immature hate filled little man with the insults and comebacks of a 3rd grader on the play ground.

Think your problem is you have no coping skills, it is something you should have learned as a kid, but obviously you didn't. Anytime someone disagrees with you, you get all triggered and go off the deep end. This is a public forum and you asked for an opinion everyone has different opinions and not everyone will agree with you. If someone doesn't move along and don't start with the personal attacks and chest pounding. You're not going to win that fight. A lot of us have been around for a long time and will call you out without hesitation.

For the record, I am an old guy. Before you try to give me some advice, I ask you to do one simple thing. Take a look thru this thread and others I have posted in. CAREFULLY look at the responses, especially from "Celebrities". See exactly who pushed the buttons and ask yourself if what you have posted here is fair.
If you think so, then we have a difference of opinion, it's that simple.
You have a good day sir.

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: DH3] #7459271 03/15/19 05:29 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
troll

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: DH3] #7459274 03/15/19 05:33 PM
G
GaryRI Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
As to the original question i have 2 Vortex scopes but they are Strike Eagles. A 1x6 and a 3x18. Have used the 3x18 (on a 22-250) more but like them both. In my experience published data for an "Average" big game rifle will be OK to about 300 yards but you need to work things out for your setup anyway. There is also what average means. To me it is sorta kinda '06, 270, 300 win mag and 243. When you look at factory ballistic tables the drops, shooting at deer sized animals, the drops for these calibres out to 300 yards are just inches apart.

I've never taken a shot at anything past 200 yards except coyotes and hogs.

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: GaryRI] #7459292 03/15/19 05:59 PM
D
DH3 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D

Gary
Originally Posted by GaryRI
As to the original question i have 2 Vortex scopes but they are Strike Eagles. A 1x6 and a 3x18. Have used the 3x18 (on a 22-250) more but like them both. In my experience published data for an "Average" big game rifle will be OK to about 300 yards but you need to work things out for your setup anyway. There is also what average means. To me it is sorta kinda '06, 270, 300 win mag and 243. When you look at factory ballistic tables the drops, shooting at deer sized animals, the drops for these calibres out to 300 yards are just inches apart.

Gary, as stated elsewhere in this thread I have no need to shoot at anything over 150 yards. That's why I zeroed my rifle only 1" high at 100 yards. If I was considering the purchase of a Vortex Crossfire scope, I am not sure that reading thru this thread would help me make a decision. There are PLENTY of detractors and a few posters with some experience to offer. I am well satisfied with mine but today is the Ides of March so the scope could self destruct resting in my safe!

Thanks for your helpful comments.

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: DH3] #7459421 03/15/19 10:11 PM
G
GaryRI Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
I typically buy $150-250 Nikon & Burris scopes. I stepped up a notch to Vortex and am satisfied the value is there.

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: DH3] #7459444 03/15/19 11:09 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by DH3

Gary

Gary, as stated elsewhere in this thread I have no need to shoot at anything over 150 yards. That's why I zeroed my rifle only 1" high at 100 yards. If I was considering the purchase of a Vortex Crossfire scope, I am not sure that reading thru this thread would help me make a decision. There are PLENTY of detractors and a few posters with some experience to offer. I am well satisfied with mine but today is the Ides of March so the scope could self destruct resting in my safe!

You’re satisfied with yours after 4 shots. I guess that qualifies as “some experience.”

I’ve had three Vortex products over several years of actually being used, but not abused. One was sent in for repairs. One needs to be. The other has been fine. That’s not a stellar track record.

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: Sneaky] #7459512 03/16/19 12:19 AM
D
DH3 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D

Sneak:
Originally Posted by Sneaky
Originally Posted by DH3

Gary

You’re satisfied with yours after 4 shots. I guess that qualifies as “some experience.”

I’ve had three Vortex products over several years of actually being used, but not abused. One was sent in for repairs. One needs to be. The other has been fine. That’s not a stellar track record.

Sneak, Your vote has been recorded in the Detractor column.
Thanks for your input.

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: DH3] #7459528 03/16/19 12:35 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
So you only consider the (almost) positive comments, and shoot down every single detractor?

If you are looking for Vortex fanboys to make you feel good about the Crossfire, maybe you should post your query in an AR forum somewhere.

If you want feedback from hunters that use their stuff, then you need to have an open mind about it.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: DH3] #7459566 03/16/19 01:18 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Anytime, DH3.

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: DH3] #7459573 03/16/19 01:24 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
In optics. banana You just never know where the fun is gonna pop up around here.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: 10 Gauge] #7459614 03/16/19 02:49 AM
R
Ryan F. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted by regularguy11B

If you are looking for Vortex fanboys to make you feel good about the Crossfire, maybe you should post your query in an AR forum somewhere.

If you want feedback from hunters that use their stuff, then you need to have an open mind about it.

I love to hunt. That’s the reason I started owning firearms.

Having said that, I am now an avid shooter and frequent the AR15 forum as well. I have learned a wealth of info there. I have gotten much more positive advice on that forum than this one. Depending on which area of the forum you are in the moderators are no nonsense and this kind of thread would never be tolerated.

As a shooter, I use and abuse my stuff 100 times more than I do as a hunter. So, I really don’t believe that comment you made is accurate at all. Most guys who shoot competitions and are paper shooters get way more experience out of their scopes and rifles than hunters do.

I have had more Leupold scopes that wouldn’t track than Vortex. And if you really want to know what the true optics snobs think at snipershide, there are several high end Vortex scopes that have a great reputation among competition shooters.

The fact that everyone hates on Vortex here because there are tons of the cheap scope /gun combos in use that occasionally fail doesn’t make Vortex bad. Tons of cheap scopes that come on combos like that fail. Gun/scope combos have always been pretty awful.

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: DH3] #7459621 03/16/19 02:57 AM
J
jlsbassman Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
I guess this post has been everywhere. Might as well try to get it locked, maybe we can all agree to build the f'ing wall.

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: Ryan F.] #7459637 03/16/19 03:18 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Ryan F.

Having said that, I am now an avid shooter and frequent the AR15 forum as well. I have learned a wealth of info there. I have gotten much more positive advice on that forum than this one. Depending on which area of the forum you are in the moderators are no nonsense and this kind of thread would never be tolerated.

As a shooter, I use and abuse my stuff 100 times more than I do as a hunter. So, I really don’t believe that comment you made is accurate at all. Most guys who shoot competitions and are paper shooters get way more experience out of their scopes and rifles than hunters do.

I have had more Leupold scopes that wouldn’t track than Vortex. And if you really want to know what the true optics snobs think at snipershide, there are several high end Vortex scopes that have a great reputation among competition shooters.

The fact that everyone hates on Vortex here because there are tons of the cheap scope /gun combos in use that occasionally fail doesn’t make Vortex bad. Tons of cheap scopes that come on combos like that fail. Gun/scope combos have always been pretty awful.

Full disclaimer- just graduated my CDL school and I have had a few drinks. About to start making more money than I've ever made in my life. Currently under the influence, probably gonna be more typos than usual and more redundancy than usual. I am a lightweight, I regularly don't drink. I apologize in advance.

I guess that post was pretty unfair to the AR community on the internet. Still, if you want to see a group of people hate an optic, ask about UTG on an AR forum. If you want to see a group of people love it, ask about UTG on an airgun forum. UTG has won at the world level in HFT on a customised Chinese air rifle, in competition with the best stuff in the world. Schmidt/Bender and nothing but German precision air rifles, etc. a good marksman with a Chinese air rifle and UTG scope beat everyone in his class.

At the end of the day it's the nut behind the trigger above all else. I believe it 100%. UTG might have subpar glass/image, milky even at moderate to long range. Might be the cheapest piece of Chinese garbage you ever used, but they hold zero and track most of the time. And they old up on spring powered rifles longer than most at 10-20x the price.

In regards to the Vortex brand, if you want my true feelings about it, read the whole thread. I just bought a Diamondback Tactical and I haven't even used it yet. But it lines up pretty darn close right out of the box when boresighting and I have a good feeling sbout it.

Now the part of your post I highlighted in red, that is what I want to speak on because I agree with it. I have never ever in 32 years of plinking and recreational shooting, ever had good luck with a bundled optic. Bushnell makes some good stuff and so does Savage. Their bundled optics with the 110 is garbage and destined to fail. It's just the truth.

The last ten years or my life I have spent in the Infantry. In my opinion, not even the Leupold MK IV is up to the task to be on a DMR. 4 issued to my platoon, 4 did not make it through a deployment without shifting and didn't even track bu the end of it all. So much for a DMR scope. If you can't do IMT and still shoot to the same POI, it won't work for us. So there is that.

I would bet 99.99999999% of the best scopes can't even handle being tossed into the backseat of a pickup on the regular. No matter the price.

But a bundled optic? I guarantee you the Crossfires bundled on rifles probably ain't even the same Crossfires sold in the store. They are a sticker on a scope, name recognition at best. Destined to fail. It cost more to put decent iron sights on the rifle for a reason.

That is why I take umbrage, personally, with the OP being so defensive of his scope after just 4 rounds.

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: 10 Gauge] #7459642 03/16/19 03:27 AM
I
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I

Full disclaimer- just graduated my CDL school and I have had a few drinks. About to start making more money than I've ever made in my life. Currently under the influence, probably gonna be more typos than usual and more redundancy than usual. I am a lightweight, I regularly don't drink. I apologize in advance.

I guess that post was pretty unfair to the AR community on the internet. Still, if you want to see a group of people hate an optic, ask about UTG on an AR forum. If you want to see a group of people love it, ask about UTG on an airgun forum. UTG has won at the world level in HFT on a customised Chinese air rifle, in competition with the best stuff in the world. Schmidt/Bender and nothing but German precision air rifles, etc. a good marksman with a Chinese air rifle and UTG scope beat everyone in his class.

At the end of the day it's the nut behind the trigger above all else. I believe it 100%. UTG might have subpar glass/image, milky even at moderate to long range. Might be the cheapest piece of Chinese garbage you ever used, but they hold zero and track most of the time. And they old up on spring powered rifles longer than most at 10-20x the price.

In regards to the Vortex brand, if you want my true feelings about it, read the whole thread. I just bought a Diamondback Tactical and I haven't even used it yet. But it lines up pretty darn close right out of the box when boresighting and I have a good feeling sbout it.

Now the part of your post I highlighted in red, that is what I want to speak on because I agree with it. I have never ever in 32 years of plinking and recreational shooting, ever had good luck with a bundled optic. Bushnell makes some good stuff and so does Savage. Their bundled optics with the 110 is garbage and destined to fail. It's just the truth.

The last ten years or my life I have spent in the Infantry. In my opinion, not even the Leupold MK IV is up to the task to be on a DMR. 4 issued to my platoon, 4 did not make it through a deployment without shifting and didn't even track bu the end of it all. So much for a DMR scope. If you can't do IMT and still shoot to the same POI, it won't work for us. So there is that.

I would bet 99.99999999% of the best scopes can't even handle being tossed into the backseat of a pickup on the regular. No matter the price.

But a bundled optic? I guarantee you the Crossfires bundled on rifles probably ain't even the same Crossfires sold in the store. They are a sticker on a scope, name recognition at best. Destined to fail. It cost more to put decent iron sights on the rifle for a reason.

That is why I take umbrage, personally, with the OP being so defensive of his scope after just 4 rounds.

What a rookie. You're not supposed to get drunk and post sh!+ that makes sense. You're supposed to get drunk and buy guns and scopes that you'll regret tomorrow morning. Get yourself squared away, soldier. You acting 8TF^.

Also, GO ARMY. flag grin

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Haha yea I polished that thing for hours.
Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: DH3] #7459647 03/16/19 03:34 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Hey, I am a civilian now! I got orders to Camp Couch last month.

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: 10 Gauge] #7459648 03/16/19 03:34 AM
R
Ryan F. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R

I do agree 100% that often it is the guy behind the rifle that makes the biggest difference. Don't get me wrong. I don't like the crossfire scopes. I have had two and didn't like either of them. Neither of them failed but I was not a fan. I would rather have a Nikon Prostaff at the same price.

As far as the OP. Not sure why he is so defensive. Seems like a lot of guys have taken issue with him. I can see why though. Having said that, I have often seen people say they could care less if a hog is gut shot and then has to run off to suffer and die and yet people crucified him for posting a video of a fox getting gut shot. I think both is awful. Blows my mind that people have so little regard for suffering, whether it be a deer, fox or pig. I am not a fan of letting an animal suffer and that is a big reason why hunters get a bad rap sometimes.

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: Ryan F.] #7459651 03/16/19 03:36 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker

I do agree 100% that often it is the guy behind the rifle that makes the biggest difference. Don't get me wrong. I don't like the crossfire scopes. I have had two and didn't like either of them. Neither of them failed but I was not a fan. I would rather have a Nikon Prostaff at the same price.

As far as the OP. Not sure why he is so defensive. Seems like a lot of guys have taken issue with him. I can see why though. Having said that, I have often seen people say they could care less if a hog is gut shot and then has to run off to suffer and die and yet people crucified him for posting a video of a fox getting gut shot. I think both is awful. Blows my mind that people have so little regard for suffering, whether it be a deer, fox or pig. I am not a fan of letting an animal suffer and that is a big reason why hunters get a bad rap sometimes.

That is why I'm tripping. 4 rounds, ready for the woods? He is destined to cripple something.

Last edited by regularguy11B; 03/16/19 03:36 AM.

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: 10 Gauge] #7459655 03/16/19 03:44 AM
R
Ryan F. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
That is why I'm tripping. 4 rounds, ready for the woods? He is destined to cripple something.

Oh yeah I agree 100%.

I reload as well and I shoot a lot. Heck I shot 50 rounds today while doing load development in a rifle that I am dialing in. I have got it shooting .5" groups now. The last 4 groups of load development were all under .75" but I would still shoot it again before I go hunt with it this November. There is no way I would put that rifle up and then leave it for 7 months and take it into the woods. You never know. Doesn't take much effort to shoot it a little more and know for certain it is going to shoot where you want it to.

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7459671 03/16/19 04:17 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn

What a rookie. You're not supposed to get drunk and post sh!+ that makes sense. You're supposed to get drunk and buy guns and scopes that you'll regret tomorrow morning. Get yourself squared away, soldier. You acting 8TF^.

Also, GO ARMY. flag grin

Yeah that’s me, I got drunk a couple of weeks ago and bought a Sako with the bolt on the wrong side.

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: DH3] #7459681 03/16/19 04:29 AM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
You mean bolt handle on the correct side

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: DH3] #7459682 03/16/19 04:30 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by wp75169
[quote=ImTheReasonDovesMourn][quote=regularguy11B][quote=Ryan F.][quote=regularguy11B]

Yeah that’s me, I got drunk a couple of weeks ago and bought a Sako with the bolt on the wrong side.

Did you get a good deal at least? Maybe you can recoup the investment. Or, just cut it down and make a pistol! Right handed bolt pistol always better with a lefty bolt...

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: 10 Gauge] #7459683 03/16/19 04:33 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by wp75169
[quote=ImTheReasonDovesMourn][quote=regularguy11B][quote=Ryan F.][quote=regularguy11B]

Did you get a good deal at least? Maybe you can recoup the investment. Or, just cut it down and make a pistol! Right handed bolt pistol always better with a lefty bolt...

Great deal, I’m not mad about it. Still wouldn’t have gone there sober. I stood behind my stupidity after I sobered up though.

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: TEXASLEFTY] #7459684 03/16/19 04:34 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY
You mean bolt handle on the correct side

No it was right handed. I have to give it the reach around. I shoot lefty.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide