THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I am so confused by this thread confused2

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: DH3] #7458034 03/14/19 03:28 AM
10 Gauge Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I am confused how you'd put your season on a new gun and bundled scope that only been fired four times, ever.

Who does that?

Even with the best gun, optics, and ammo that money can buy, I would not use it to hunt anything without getting a good zero and confirming zero.

Compared to the price of gas to get there, what is a box of ammo to zero and confirm zero? And your time and money invested in other things, a lease, etc. not to mention the ethics of hunting with a weapon you haven't tried to prove out in the smallest kind of way.

Unless of course, you did fire a group to confirm, and it was a little off, and you don't want to share that too?

Does that sound self-righteous of me? I am just saying what everyone else participating in this thread is probably thinking.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: 10 Gauge] #7458137 03/14/19 12:35 PM
D
DH3 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted by regularguy11B
I am confused how you'd put your season on a new gun and bundled scope that only been fired four times, ever.

Who does that?

Even with the best gun, optics, and ammo that money can buy, I would not use it to hunt anything without getting a good zero and confirming zero.

Compared to the price of gas to get there, what is a box of ammo to zero and confirm zero? And your time and money invested in other things, a lease, etc. not to mention the ethics of hunting with a weapon you haven't tried to prove out in the smallest kind of way.

Unless of course, you did fire a group to confirm, and it was a little off, and you don't want to share that too?

Does that sound self-righteous of me? I am just saying what everyone else participating in this thread is probably thinking.

Sounds self righteous to me....

Old age and treachery beats youth and stupid every time!
Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: DH3] #7458194 03/14/19 01:57 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
I’m going to ignore your negativity. Other than that statement.

I also decided years ago that I do not like a heavy recoiling rifle. Over the years I’ve hunted with and spent range time behind rifles up to my 375 H&H. I once put 30 down range in one setting from the H&H. What I decided was that I was stupid. I will no longer shoot a heavy recoiling rifle without a muzzle brake. For the most part I have started using milder rounds for hunting. 7/08, 6.5x55, etc. if the recoil is uncomfortable in any way I put a brake on it.

What I will not do is own a rifle I can’t take to the range and shoot 30-100 rounds in a session.

As to the crossfire the one I played with was ok until it came to low light. Then it was poor at best. Keep shooting and enjoy the sport. That’s why we’re all here.

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: DH3] #7458195 03/14/19 01:58 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I threw a Vortex Crossfire 3-9 x 40 on my truck gun. I have more expensive glass on hunting rifles, but this gun is for varmints, hogs, etc. only. And also did one-shot zero (actually 4 shots) just as DH described. No problems yet - I have shot many more rounds threw the gun and it has stayed on so far - about a year.

Not trying to enter fray on methods or the benefit of high quality equipment, just adding my experience to original question.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: Dalroo] #7458237 03/14/19 02:36 PM
D
DH3 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Dalroo
I threw a Vortex Crossfire 3-9 x 40 on my truck gun. I have more expensive glass on hunting rifles, but this gun is for varmints, hogs, etc. only. And also did one-shot zero (actually 4 shots) just as DH described. No problems yet - I have shot many more rounds threw the gun and it has stayed on so far - about a year.

Not trying to enter fray on methods or the benefit of high quality equipment, just adding my experience to original question.

Dalroo, you have confirmed what is possible if you are confident of your abilities as a rifleman. There are dozens of theory's on why and how to zero a rifle, just as there are many theory's on how many fired rounds are necessary to be ABSOLUTELY sure that a rifle is truly zeroed.
You only have to read thru this thread to see how different individuals think on the subject..
Since the subject of this blog is OPTICS, my post/s were directed at the performance of a specific scope. My results are there for all to see.
There are plenty of Vortex haters on this website, read thru this thread and you can see some of the names.
It is my personal belief that there are an increasing number of 'Optics Elitists" who firmly believe that good optics can only be attained by spending a bundle of cash. Nothing could be further from the truth!

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: wp75169] #7458253 03/14/19 02:51 PM
D
DH3 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted by wp75169
I’m going to ignore your negativity. Other than that statement.

I also decided years ago that I do not like a heavy recoiling rifle. Over the years I’ve hunted with and spent range time behind rifles up to my 375 H&H. I once put 30 down range in one setting from the H&H. What I decided was that I was stupid. I will no longer shoot a heavy recoiling rifle without a muzzle brake. For the most part I have started using milder rounds for hunting. 7/08, 6.5x55, etc. if the recoil is uncomfortable in any way I put a brake on it.

What I will not do is own a rifle I can’t take to the range and shoot 30-100 rounds in a session.

As to the crossfire the one I played with was ok until it came to low light. Then it was poor at best. Keep shooting and enjoy the sport. That’s why we’re all here.

rifle

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: DH3] #7458254 03/14/19 02:51 PM
H
HandyMan91 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
popcorn

Originally Posted by Biscuit
The only thing flat earthers have to fear is sphere itself

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: DH3] #7458256 03/14/19 02:53 PM
H
HandyMan91 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Vortex has worked well for me when I had a budget, cross fire II and a Diamondback . Still have the diamondback. Only thing I dont like on it is the eye relief is sensitive

Originally Posted by Biscuit
The only thing flat earthers have to fear is sphere itself

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: DH3] #7458263 03/14/19 03:03 PM
10 Gauge Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
The vortex on my Savage is probably the nicest scope I currently own. So there is that.

I'm sure your gun is zeroed.

I've played with enough bundled scope combos to know better than to bet it will stay that way. You haven't fired even a single three shot group.

Is it confidence, or cockiness? I'd call it ignorance.

Last edited by regularguy11B; 03/14/19 03:12 PM.

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: DH3] #7458265 03/14/19 03:05 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by DH3

Dalroo, you have confirmed what is possible if you are confident of your abilities as a rifleman. There are dozens of theory's on why and how to zero a rifle, just as there are many theory's on how many fired rounds are necessary to be ABSOLUTELY sure that a rifle is truly zeroed.
You only have to read thru this thread to see how different individuals think on the subject..
Since the subject of this blog is OPTICS, my post/s were directed at the performance of a specific scope. My results are there for all to see.
There are plenty of Vortex haters on this website, read thru this thread and you can see some of the names.
It is my personal belief that there are an increasing number of 'Optics Elitists" who firmly believe that good optics can only be attained by spending a bundle of cash. Nothing could be further from the truth!

Optics elitist is the dang truth. I am one myself. When a friend insist that he will not spend the money I yield and tell them to buy a Burris FF or a Nikon Prostaff. Never a Vortex. All the same money but the Prostaff and the Fullfield will get the job done for 98% of hunters. Yes I believe that number to be true. 98%. Call the rest of us glass snobs or what you want. The truth is the cheaper optics have no place at all in the 2% world. They can not touch what half of the 2% do. The problem is neither side is willing to understand the other. If we separated forums the 2% would still need to tell the 98% how they’re doing it wrong. Don’t forget I have became a 2% guy. But I get it.

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: wp75169] #7458276 03/14/19 03:14 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by DH3

Optics elitist is the dang truth. I am one myself. When a friend insist that he will not spend the money I yield and tell them to buy a Burris FF or a Nikon Prostaff. Never a Vortex. All the same money but the Prostaff and the Fullfield will get the job done for 98% of hunters. Yes I believe that number to be true. 98%. Call the rest of us glass snobs or what you want. The truth is the cheaper optics have no place at all in the 2% world. They can not touch what half of the 2% do. The problem is neither side is willing to understand the other. If we separated forums the 2% would still need to tell the 98% how they’re doing it wrong. Don’t forget I have became a 2% guy. But I get it.

I'm a 2% owner.

However, when someone comes to me with a scope purchase question the first thing I ask is "what is your budget", and I do my damndest to stay in that budget. When the budget is quite low, and the person is wanting to shoot some distance I tell them an SS fixed 10X or 12X. Find a used one for $300 and it's some of the best money someone can spend.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: J.G.] #7458289 03/14/19 03:22 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Originally Posted by DH3
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense to me.

Still trying to keep your post count up, I see..

Will my post count go down, if I stop posting?

If you don't use it you loose it? grin

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: DH3] #7458291 03/14/19 03:22 PM
10 Gauge Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I guess i shouldnt make it personal. I know it's hard to consider anything from a guy that has only shot one deer. I would bet I've put as many rounds downrange as the most avid shooters on this forum. In my experience even the most durable gear will sometimes fail, right out of the box. That is why I can't see using a brand new gun on four shots.

Would you stake your life on that weapon, after just four shots and not one single group fired? I bet not.

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: 10 Gauge] #7458302 03/14/19 03:32 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
I guess i shouldnt make it personal. I know it's hard to consider anything from a guy that has only shot one deer. I would bet I've put as many rounds downrange as the most avid shooters on this forum. In my experience even the most durable gear will sometimes fail, right out of the box. That is why I can't see using a brand new gun on four shots.

Would you stake your life on that weapon, after just four shots and not one single group fired? I bet not.

That last sentence is a really good one. Absolutely puts things in perspective. It’s shows the amount of respect one has for an animal. I always want, but not alway achieve, a clean kill. That’s from my ridiculous “buck fever” no matter what the game not my lack of practice.

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: wp75169] #7458305 03/14/19 03:34 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by DH3

Are there better scopes than the vortex? Absolutely. Are there worse? Absolutely. My only experience is with the viper gen 1. I have been hunting with it for the past 5 or 6 years and haven't had to turn down a shot or have a fault I can blame on the scope yet. Will I buy another one? Maybe a gen 2, but not another of what I have or lesser of their line. I find it hard to take facts from online scope suggestions because it always seems one mans trash is anothers treasure and "to my eyes" etc. I don't believe in the my eyes, one is better or worse there is no such thing as seeing better when looking through an inferior piece of glass. I think much like anything else (guns, trucks, etc.) it is viewed with personal preference/bias and name recognition/loyalty. Sure would be nice if there was a tool that would take all the human opinion out of it and shine through all the scopes and it would rank from best to worst on clarity and brightness. Tracking and holding zero can be easily enough tested. Yet you can take 2 scopes and set them side by side on the same day same range same target and shooter 1 says scope A is better and Shooter 2 says scope b is better.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: redchevy] #7458327 03/14/19 04:03 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by redchevy
Originally Posted by DH3

Are there better scopes than the vortex? Absolutely. Are there worse? Absolutely. My only experience is with the viper gen 1. I have been hunting with it for the past 5 or 6 years and haven't had to turn down a shot or have a fault I can blame on the scope yet. Will I buy another one? Maybe a gen 2, but not another of what I have or lesser of their line. I find it hard to take facts from online scope suggestions because it always seems one mans trash is anothers treasure and "to my eyes" etc. I don't believe in the my eyes, one is better or worse there is no such thing as seeing better when looking through an inferior piece of glass. I think much like anything else (guns, trucks, etc.) it is viewed with personal preference/bias and name recognition/loyalty. Sure would be nice if there was a tool that would take all the human opinion out of it and shine through all the scopes and it would rank from best to worst on clarity and brightness. Tracking and holding zero can be easily enough tested. Yet you can take 2 scopes and set them side by side on the same day same range same target and shooter 1 says scope A is better and Shooter 2 says scope b is better.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1951_USAF_resolution_test_chart

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: DH3] #7458338 03/14/19 04:17 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
JG, is it still human error involved in that test?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: DH3] #7458386 03/14/19 05:17 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I would think so. I don't know what the U.S.A.F. procedure is, or was. Someone with 20/20 vision, corrected, or not tells what they could see, and where the barrier was? That is my educated guess.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: DH3] #7458407 03/14/19 05:50 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Never seen the chart before, im sure it would help make judging optics more objective.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: DH3] #7458432 03/14/19 06:19 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
It is always interesting to me that when a "which scope" or "what do you think" scope question comes up, the first and foremost thing referred to in the replies is glass, optics, side by side this one's better, etc. Fact is, optics in a riflescope aren't anywhere near the most important criteria, IMO. Any decent $250 scope nowadays will get you past legal shooting light, so optics are really a given.....it will "work".

The most important rifle scope criteria to me is:

Zero retention
Tracking
Reticle must be usable in poor light
Build quality
Warranty and customer service

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: 10 Gauge] #7458514 03/14/19 08:06 PM
D
DH3 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D

All this from an "Expert" who has managed to kill one deer in his lifetime!
popcorn

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: DH3] #7458525 03/14/19 08:15 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Tagging out every year on a 100 acre tract doesn't make you an expert either. Donkey

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: DH3] #7458603 03/14/19 10:01 PM
10 Gauge Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Laugh all you want. Every Leupold MKIV I have handled failed. Have had ACOGs and Aimpoint 68's that did not track or hold zero right out of the box. Rare but it happens. And almost every ACOG I have ever dealt with at some point or another stops tracking, and requires to be slapped to make adjustments.

M68 is the most durable sight I have ever seen other than steel battle sights. They still fail eventually, and occasionally right out of the box.

I have seen ACOG reticles rattled apart.

You really gonna gamble on a brand new bundled scope after just 4 shots? Ok. You do you booboo. It's gonna fail eventually anyway, probably smarter to use it as little as possibke until it fails. I assume that is your strategy.

I made my point and I am done here.

Re: Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 [Re: titan2232] #7458736 03/15/19 12:49 AM
D
DH3 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted by titan2232
Tagging out every year on a 100 acre tract doesn't make you an expert either. Donkey

Another Goober (Multi Poster) with nothing to offer except B.S.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide