Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: CWD in people? [Re: fouzman] #7438308 02/19/19 01:38 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by fouzman
You guys need to look up Big Buck Registry "A Cure In the Crosshairs - CWD Conference - Prions Not the Cause, Just a Byproduct"

It's a video out of Pennsylvania discussing the true cause of CWD, a bacteria called spiroplasma, and cures and treatments for same. Apparently a Dr. Bastian at LSU has identified the true cause of CWD and it's treatable/curable. I would post a link to the video but don't know how. It's on Facebook.

It hasn’t been replicated yet , but I hope it does!!! Will fix more then CWD

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7438464 02/19/19 03:58 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
My spouse does some work in the Vet Lab where Wyoming does the CWD testing.I have questions to the researchers and scientist there about this new cause they found. We'll see what they say.

All of you saying no one would eat a positive animal is wrong, folks up here are and will eat their positive animals unless they look infected.
I have NO doubt I have eaten a positive animals and have no concerns about getting CWD.
The folks at the lab don't even get their animals tested unless a study is ongoing in their harvest area.

We had our first animals tested this past fall for CWD, been hunting Wyoming for 31 years, all were negative in an area that is very prevalent. It's been here for ever, recognized in the 60's. How many decades does it take for a human case, well so far in 50 years we don't have one yet. Not even one case of Variant CJD in Wyoming and we are ground zero for CWD.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7438523 02/19/19 04:40 PM
J
JKW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Wytex, what is the prevalence rate in the areas of Wyoming that have been hit hard? Did it seem to balance out or decrease over time? It seems that the prevalence rate in the outbreak area of Tennessee is in the neighborhood of 10% right now but I've heard that areas have seen rates as high as 30%.

Thanks for sharing your experience with this. It's new to most of us.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7438568 02/19/19 05:13 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
The areas we hunt are about 20%+. We took 4 deer off the property this year and not one was positive.
Data shows older age class bucks are more prevalent but they are mainly testing buck deer, doe harvest is very minimal in these areas.
Deer herds are stable, elk are still way over population objectives.
Our bucks harvested this past fall were 4.5, 5.5, 5.5 and 6.5 yrs old. Some of the younger bucks taken as of late.
Last few years our harvests have probably averaged 6.6 yrs or older.

The more they test your deer the more they will find. It has been around a long time.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7438573 02/19/19 05:17 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
the future, check stations you will have to get your deer tested

TPW will hire more officers, or all processors will be required to test all deer brought in.

mad deer disease

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Wytex] #7438629 02/19/19 06:13 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Wytex
The areas we hunt are about 20%+. We took 4 deer off the property this year and not one was positive.
Data shows older age class bucks are more prevalent but they are mainly testing buck deer, doe harvest is very minimal in these areas.
Our bucks harvested this past fall were 4.5, 5.5, 5.5 and 6.5 yrs old. Some of the younger bucks taken as of late.

The more they test your deer the more they will find. It has been around a long time.

Just like a lot of human diseases that we are just being able to name or diagnose more accurately. I liken CWD and the concerns to the autism and vaccines thing. Autism has been a round a long time and probably hasn't seen a real increase in as much as an increase in folks testing/seeking treatment and our ability to quantify the spectrum, yet the thing gets blown way out of proportion due to a faulty research paper and some celebrities that think they know more than they do.

I said earlier I would not eat meat from a diseased deer, but how many deer are carriers for disease we never physically see? I am not testing any of my kills for any disease, and if the deer is sickly looking I just won't eat it. Easy. I suppose even if I was in an endemic area, I would not test every deer just because I wanted to be ultra-safe, but if I suspected a deer to have CWD I just wouldn't eat it.

As I type this though, I wonder if this will play a little into "wanton waste of game animals"....could it get to a point where animals are harvested (for antlers) and then left to lay due to "that deer had CWD or looked like it did" and the hunting community gets OK with that concept? We are certainly a long way away from that, but slippery slope is possible.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Wytex] #7438630 02/19/19 06:19 PM
J
JKW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J

Thanks, wytex. I'm hoping the situation stabilizes here soon as it seems to have there.

I'm hoping to draw in elk tag in either 56 or 59 this year. I've heard no mention of concern so my plan is proceed as normal unless I hear otherwise. I'm accustomed to the headaches that efforts to limit spread by carcass transportation bring, but I understand not wanting to spread it to new areas if possible. The shank is my favorite cut on a deer and it's disappointing to leave them behind, although I do eat as many as I can in camp. I can't give them away, I've tried.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Buzzsaw] #7438637 02/19/19 06:26 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
the future, check stations you will have to get your deer tested

TPW will hire more officers, or all processors will be required to test all deer brought in.

mad deer disease

Not enough funding(testing and personal), Oklahoma did away with them except for Antelope and Bear.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7438639 02/19/19 06:27 PM
J
JKW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye

Just like a lot of human diseases that we are just being able to name or diagnose more accurately. I liken CWD and the concerns to the autism and vaccines thing. Autism has been a round a long time and probably hasn't seen a real increase in as much as an increase in folks testing/seeking treatment and our ability to quantify the spectrum, yet the thing gets blown way out of proportion due to a faulty research paper and some celebrities that think they know more than they do.

I said earlier I would not eat meat from a diseased deer, but how many deer are carriers for disease we never physically see? I am not testing any of my kills for any disease, and if the deer is sickly looking I just won't eat it. Easy. I suppose even if I was in an endemic area, I would not test every deer just because I wanted to be ultra-safe, but if I suspected a deer to have CWD I just wouldn't eat it.

As I type this though, I wonder if this will play a little into "wanton waste of game animals"....could it get to a point where animals are harvested (for antlers) and then left to lay due to "that deer had CWD or looked like it did" and the hunting community gets OK with that concept? We are certainly a long way away from that, but slippery slope is possible.

I suspect you're right and the majority aren't seen. Of the positive tests in TN this year I'm not aware of any killed that were symptomatic.

The implications go well beyond wanton waste issues, or will if Texas is ever hit really hard. If the management plan is anything like other states boning deer out in camp will need to become the norm to keep from transporting spinal parts. Common processors will suddenly lose a lot of business. Supplemental feeding and baiting are usually the first to go-these will have an especially noticeable impact on Texas. The herd demographic normally most affected is mature bucks, this is a very important part of Texas' hunting culture and even economy. Will people pay several thousand for a lease they can't feed/bait and where bucks rarely make it to maturity? I doubt for very long.

Re: CWD in people? #7438946 02/19/19 11:13 PM
B
BubRay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Had this sent to me today. Thought I would pass it along and open up a thread for response.

https://ljsp.lwcdn.com/api/video/em...l7TnJwJKXq2ZePKCz2nOPbMYcydVHtlCrcrtm84I

Last edited by BubRay; 02/19/19 11:26 PM.

Take Care,
Bub
Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7438960 02/19/19 11:31 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
POF and too much sex. Yes its real!! Run man run. Them Beees just want your money and to toy with you anyways. Good luck. Aint none worthit

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: CWD in people? [Re: BubRay] #7438971 02/19/19 11:44 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by BubRay
Had this sent to me today. Thought I would pass it along and open up a thread for response.

https://ljsp.lwcdn.com/api/video/em...l7TnJwJKXq2ZePKCz2nOPbMYcydVHtlCrcrtm84I

I hope this is true. I don't believe the doom and gloom they want to paint with their brush......if this wouldn't of happened, if it did happen.......

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7439071 02/20/19 01:23 AM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Gentlemen, my apologies. I was so encouraged by the beginning of the video, I copy/pasted w/o further review.

After watching the entire presentation, pretty sure it is a bunch of hogwash!

https://www.facebook.com/497624440269298/posts/2260399187325139?sfns=mo

Last edited by fouzman; 02/20/19 01:29 AM.
Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7439460 02/20/19 03:40 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
That guy had the same results to announce years back and yet no cure.

I sent an email to Mary Woods, Dr Mary Woods, who spoke in Texas about CWD and what Wyoming has been doing.
She is very skeptical of his results but welcomes more research.

As to affecting older bucks, we still take 8 1/2 yr old bucks from the endemic area in Wyoming, they will not all die. Have we seen sick deer yes, but not very many at all, maybe 1 every few years. We also do not find carcasses lying around, it is open country.
Your biggest threat is over reaction.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7439486 02/20/19 04:02 PM
jim1961 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
It is ridiculous and obviously PETA backed

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7439525 02/20/19 04:44 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
CWD is a gift to the Peta people, and you can bet that they will jump on the push of the fear mongering, especially to the younger hunters.
The hunters average age of those who have purchased hunting licences is around 62 years old, and I'm one of them, and they couldn't care less about what effect CWD will have on them, but it's the thought that once the seed of doubt is planted, that there could be even an undocumented chance that eating a sick animal could transfer to humans, you get the reaction that people especially a younger man with a young family, will no longer want to take that chance, or feed the meat to their family knowingly, or not knowingly.
That would be a death blow to our sport, and reading many of the responses to these CWD threads, (thanks to our cut and paste buddy flounder) you see even members of this forum who say they would never feed an animal that tested positive to themselves and especially their family which is understandable.
You would then have to ask yourself, why am I even hunting, and taking deer just for it's antlers?
It leaves a very big question mark as to where this is all going?

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: CWD in people? [Re: jim1961] #7439555 02/20/19 05:28 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by jim1961
It is ridiculous and obviously PETA backed

LOL it was talked about on WBAP this morning. Getting a lot of play.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7440054 02/21/19 01:46 AM
N
Novice Hunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
N
Several thoughts/observations, not trying to make an argument:

1. Up to a point, back in the day when "Mad Cow Disease" was discussed, I heard many statements along the lines of "there is not any evidence that it can be transmitted to humans". We know where that went.

2. There seem to be many people eating venison from deer shot in areas where CWD is endemic, and there does not seem to be an uptick in people diagnosed with anything resembling vCJD (Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease).

3. Prion detection could be done with a technique similar to that done with DNA by the Genetic Genealogy companies. I bet that in 10-15 years, you will be able to buy a device for $200 that you could smear some deer brain tissue in, and know in 5 minutes if the deer has the condition.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7441661 02/22/19 08:14 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7441816 02/22/19 11:11 PM
J
JKW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Up to 183 positive tests now in Tennessee since December 14. So that some people will not feel as if I'm stretching the truth, I'll officially go on record stating that "nearly 184" deer have tested positive so far since December and NOT nearly 200. smile

Regardless of whether this transfers to humans or not It's a big deal, at least when it's approaching some of your hunting areas.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7442841 02/24/19 01:23 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I guess the day is coming in the not too distant future, and people will point to a deer and tell their kids,....."Yes they are pretty, and if you eat their meat they will kill you, and you wouldn't believe that people used to actually kill and eat those things!"

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide