New to Disabled Hunting #7435893 02/16/19 08:19 PM
T
TechTony Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Howdy All -

A fellow Vet drug me along on a duck hunting trip this past season and now I'm completely addicted to all things hunting - so now I'm trying to figure out the challenges ahead and I hope you guys might be able to give me some pointers and/or correct some of the things I may have concluded incorrectly.

I fubared my back a decade ago in the Army which now precludes me from participating in long hikes in or out of a piece of land - let alone trying to pack out a kill - and I really want to get into deer/axis/pig hunting! So I started looking into ATV/OHV regs. If I'm reading this correctly, since I have DV plates, it looks like I can utilize an ATV/OHV on any public land property (public leases included) to move from the parking area directly to my hunting area and back (read: no "trail riding"). That's awesome! Granted, now I have to acquire an OHV but whatever -- details. The biggest hurdles in my way at this point are (a) confirming that my interpretation of the regs is correct, and (b) coming up with an inventive way to get over fences with an OHV, since almost all of the areas around here have barbed wire or cattle pipe fences around them and no entrance big enough for an OHV --- not to mention mid-property fence lines. Obviously, the ideal solution would be to buy a piece of land of my own, but I'm just not there yet, so I'm looking for ideas and inspiration.

My best idea as of right now is to get a four wheeler and build an aluminum ramp system that is big enough to do the job but small enough to strap to the side of the vehicle. I'm thinking a 3 piece design like a "little giant" ladder frame. The other option (which I like much less) is to use a dirt bike that I'd end up customizing for quietness (may convert to electric) but that I might be able to get into tighter areas and may have an easier time getting through or over fences with.

I do some fabrication as a hobby so I have a tig welder and can build some ramps I think - just not sure if someone has already tried this and can tell me how I'm going to mess it up and how bad, preferably before I start?

I do most of my hunting at Granger Lake areas which is mostly mud.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Re: New to Disabled Hunting [Re: TechTony] #7436272 02/17/19 01:49 PM
U
upsslim Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
U
The WMA I hunt gives the disabled the combination to the lock on the gates at 3 different areas. Have to renew every year. There is some public land that does not allow ATV's at all. I've never seen cross fences on public land. There may be some but I haven't seen any. Talk to the managers of the land. They will give you all the details. Good Luck

East Texas
Patriot Guard Rider
Flag Captain
Re: New to Disabled Hunting [Re: upsslim] #7436475 02/17/19 05:42 PM
T
TechTony Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Any idea how to find the land managers?

"There is some public land that does not allow ATV's at all." --- If I'm reading the regs correctly though, this stipulation does not apply to those with disabled plates or disabled placard. Disabled are also exempt from having to have OHV decals ---- if I'm reading it right.

Re: New to Disabled Hunting [Re: TechTony] #7437189 02/18/19 02:22 PM
U
upsslim Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
U
Most public land are WMA's. If you have a APH permit you can look them up in the book or online. The national forest and grasslands have people managing them too. When you say the Granger Lake areas I really don't know what you're talking about. You need to look at a specific area.

East Texas
Patriot Guard Rider
Flag Captain
Re: New to Disabled Hunting [Re: TechTony] #7437664 02/18/19 08:59 PM
U
upsslim Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
U
I found Granger PHL in the book. It's a post card deer hunt bow only. Hogs are bow & crossbow only. Shotguns for squirrel and rabbits. Steel shot and no bigger than 4's. You can call 512-859-2668 for info. That's the Corps of Engineers number. It says mountain bikes can be used. Hope this helps.

East Texas
Patriot Guard Rider
Flag Captain
Re: New to Disabled Hunting [Re: upsslim] #7438406 02/19/19 02:59 PM
T
TechTony Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Hey Slim - Yep - all that's true... but flip over to the OHV regs and tell me if you interpret that the same way I did above.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/texas-off-highway-program/faqs-about-the-texas-ohv-program

"Can ATVs be ridden while hunting or fishing on State Wildlife Management lands or on leased Type II Permit lands?
ATVs can not be ridden on State Wildlife Management lands or on leased Type II Permit lands unless the ATV operator has a current handicapped license plate or handicapped hang placard. If the ATV operator has a current handicapped license plate of hang placard, the operator may ride the ATV directly to and from their place to hunt or fish. ATVs may not be used for recreational trail riding on State Wildlife Management lands or on leased Type II Permit lands.

The other obvious quandary here, at least to me it is, is how do I handle off season scouting if you're not allowed to trail ride ---- which is what they'd call it if they caught me riding around without a weapon and out of season.... but ya gotta get some preseason scouting in or ya won't know where the good spots are!

Re: New to Disabled Hunting [Re: TechTony] #7438784 02/19/19 08:29 PM
U
upsslim Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
U
Like I said" Call the area you're interested in and they will answer all your questions". The WMA here requires you to be registered at their office and you can only go on 3 of 12 areas. You must register each year. You can ride all year long for scouting and hunting. Here you can't cross a fence. They don't have cross fences. You use the gates that you have the lock combination. I think you are making this into a lot more than what it is. Just get on the phone and talk to the people in charge.

East Texas
Patriot Guard Rider
Flag Captain
Re: New to Disabled Hunting [Re: TechTony] #7440717 02/21/19 09:21 PM
T
TechTony Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
So for any that were following this post to see how it pans out... here's what I've learned thus far.

1. The Army Corp of Engineers does not interpret law. They won't even try to clarify it - and rightfully so.
2. Called the Williamson County Game Warden - he confirmed that ALL electric bikes are legal for ANYONE.
2a. He wasn't sure about motorized ATVs as he wasn't sure about which regs (site specific or state OHV regs) took precedence in the matter so was going to have to research it himself and get back to me.
3. If you're going to attempt this in your own county, he recommended that you call the local GW before you head out and let them know that you plan to ride an electric OHV as they will inevitably be inundated with calls. They have to come shake ya down if they don't already know about it.

When and if he gets back to me with the gas powered ATV regs for the disabled I'll post another followup. Based on the amount of views on this post, I'm guessing I'm not the only one that wants to know the answer to these questions.

Re: New to Disabled Hunting [Re: TechTony] #7775099 03/17/20 05:25 PM
Team Hillbilly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by TechTony
Any idea how to find the land managers?

"There is some public land that does not allow ATV's at all." --- If I'm reading the regs correctly though, this stipulation does not apply to those with disabled plates or disabled placard. Disabled are also exempt from having to have OHV decals ---- if I'm reading it right.

You need to reread those Regs, USFS now only allows ATVs on trail approved for atvs which there is one in the State of Texas in the Sam Houston Nat Forest. So do a little more research,lots of things sound good until you get stopped I'm in a wheelchair myself

Team Hillbilly
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Paralyzed Veterans of America
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide