Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: CWD in people? [Re: stxranchman] #7436490 02/17/19 05:55 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
no Issues here with eating untested Venison, beef, Mutton/lamb, fish, birds etc.

Speaking of, either venison chops or lamb chops for dinner sure sounds good

I just had some Trans Pecos mule deer backstrap for dinner today and supper last night. Ate mule deer ham steaks for 3 days in the last week also. I have killed and eaten 9 mule deer in the last 25 yrs from the Trans Pecos region and several more WT from that area and the Panhandle. I had a WT buck processed I killed in mid Jan in the lower part of the Panhandle that I will eat this year. Never had any of them tested. I would be more worried about eating a deer from an area that has Anthrax than CWD.

No telling how much I have eaten after hunting CO for 30 years and my ranch being surrounded by positive tests for years.

Statistically I’m going to die from a car wreck with as many miles I put on a truck

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: CWD in people? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7436492 02/17/19 05:57 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
no Issues here with eating untested Venison, beef, Mutton/lamb, fish, birds etc.

Speaking of, either venison chops or lamb chops for dinner sure sounds good

...... I love mine medium rare. cheers

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: CWD in people? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7436494 02/17/19 05:57 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
What’s interesting is so many who LOL at the mere possibility of human contamination but then admit they would never knowingly eat CWD infected meat. You can’t poo-poo the possibility as fantasy yet then say prudence would dictate not eating it. If you’re cautious, you are admitting to the possibility. Period.

.....so do you order your meat diseased at the meat market so you can feel manly?

Total deflection-and a nonsensical one at that given that I have not said I dismissed the possibility, and I never said I would knowingly eat CWD infected meat.

Who are you insinuating did say it? Let’s see the quotes.

I’m not here to get in a pi**ing match. Just making logical observations. Everyone can read the thread.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: JKW] #7436497 02/17/19 06:00 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by JKW
I guess all those deer breeders in Tennessee will now get the blame for CWD they brought into the state...confused2...Oh, wait...deer ownership/breeding would be illegal in Tennessee. So I guess they could place the blame on the agencies who allowed elk nidea to be moved into and restocked into the state. peep

There are a couple of high-fenced operations near "ground zero," one of which is said to have possibly introduced genetics from up north. Just hearsay, however, and I highly doubt they're to blame even if it were true. I would imagine a captive herd would have had many positives if they were involved.

Nice backdoor jab at HF and captive herds with "hearsay". Nothing like starting rumors or stretching the facts to make a point...like "almost 200". I would think the state agency that allowed the elk to be brought into Tennessee should be in that talk about "introduced genetics". Elk seem to be the common theme when CWD is found in new areas. It was found in free ranging herd of Mule Deer in West Texas(close to NM) first where they have elk and the man who had the breeding facility in the Hill Country who it was found first in captive herds had elk also. Panhandle of Texas has CWD in free ranging herds and they have had free ranging elk there for a while now also. Where I hunted in western Kansas they have had CWD and they have elk move in from Colorado. Western Oklahoma and Nebraska would have similar CWD.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: CWD in people? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7436500 02/17/19 06:02 PM
P
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Everyone eats untested meat. That’s not the issue or question.

Where the rubber hits the road re:hypocrisy is whether those who claim there is zero possibility of human infection would knowingly eat CWD-infected meat.

Ok I guess I missed it, who said it was impossible and that they would knowingly eat diseased meat? It’s obvious from your post you were insinuating someone had.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: CWD in people? [Re: stxranchman] #7436508 02/17/19 06:13 PM
J
JKW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J

[/quote]
Nice backdoor jab at HF and captive herds with "hearsay". Nothing like starting rumors or stretching the facts to make a point...like "almost 200". I would think the state agency that allowed the elk to be brought into Tennessee should be in that talk about "introduced genetics". Elk seem to be the common theme when CWD is found in new areas. It was found in free ranging herd of Mule Deer in West Texas(close to NM) first where they have elk and the man who had the breeding facility in the Hill Country who it was found first in captive herds had elk also. Panhandle of Texas has CWD in free ranging herds and they have had free ranging elk there for a while now also. Where I hunted in western Kansas they have had CWD and they have elk move in from Colorado. Western Oklahoma and Nebraska would have similar CWD.[/quote]

Seriously? No back door jab intended, please accept my apology for offending you or anyone who interpreted it that way. You brought deer farms into this. It's definitely not my thing, but to each his own. Like I said, I was very clear that I doubt this played a role in it.

If you really feel elk are a likely possibility the only elk in that part of the state are in captive herd farms. Do you think elk may be a factor? I think the most likely scenario is unintentional carcass transmission from a whitetail in an infected area, but that's only my opinion.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: stxranchman] #7436521 02/17/19 06:28 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by JKW
I guess all those deer breeders in Tennessee will now get the blame for CWD they brought into the state...confused2...Oh, wait...deer ownership/breeding would be illegal in Tennessee. So I guess they could place the blame on the agencies who allowed elk nidea to be moved into and restocked into the state. peep

There are a couple of high-fenced operations near "ground zero," one of which is said to have possibly introduced genetics from up north. Just hearsay, however, and I highly doubt they're to blame even if it were true. I would imagine a captive herd would have had many positives if they were involved.

Nice backdoor jab at HF and captive herds with "hearsay". Nothing like starting rumors or stretching the facts to make a point...like "almost 200". I would think the state agency that allowed the elk to be brought into Tennessee should be in that talk about "introduced genetics". Elk seem to be the common theme when CWD is found in new areas. It was found in free ranging herd of Mule Deer in West Texas(close to NM) first where they have elk and the man who had the breeding facility in the Hill Country who it was found first in captive herds had elk also. Panhandle of Texas has CWD in free ranging herds and they have had free ranging elk there for a while now also. Where I hunted in western Kansas they have had CWD and they have elk move in from Colorado. Western Oklahoma and Nebraska would have similar CWD.

Originally Posted by JKW

Seriously? No back door jab intended, please accept my apology for offending you or anyone who interpreted it that way. You brought deer farms into this. It's definitely not my thing, but to each his own. Like I said, I was very clear that I doubt this played a role in it.

If you really feel elk are a likely possibility the only elk in that part of the state are in captive herd farms. Do you think elk may be a factor? I think the most likely scenario is unintentional carcass transmission from a whitetail in an infected area, but that's only my opinion.

Seriously. I made the first statement about the blame and deer breeding not being allowed in Tennessee. You had to bring up hearsay about a couple of HF and "possibly introduced genetics from up north". Seriously you stated that, then wanted to play it off is not important after you causally mentioned it was "hearsay". You still made that statement.
Like you I am not a deer breeder nor a HF ranch owner. I am hunter. I have no problem with those that want them and have them either. What I do have a problem with is when someone is stretching the facts or using hearsay to make up a case is becoming far more common with CWD and other diseases it seems nowadays. The disease(s) alone are serious and do not need embellishments of facts.
I really think that elk will be the carrier of it and spreading it into new areas. As far as I know elk are not being tested as heavily like MD or WT. Why not? State agencies moved them and restocked them into states where the elk used to be. Those stockings were done before all the CWD testing was started. I think the Texas borders were open to moving in live elk for a while after CWD had been found in West Texas and in other area of the state later. I am not sure when (or if) they closed to the borders to live elk being moved into the state by ranches and breeders. Same would be for Red Deer or Sika in Texas. They all roam much great areas than whitetail deer do. They have been moved all over the US by ranchers and breeders for years.
Are Tennessee, Kentucky, Pennsylvania or Virginia testing elk for CWD?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: CWD in people? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7436529 02/17/19 06:34 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Where the rubber hits the road re:hypocrisy is whether those who claim there is zero possibility of human infection would knowingly eat CWD-infected meat.

Ok I guess I missed it, who said it was impossible and that they would knowingly eat diseased meat? It’s obvious from your post you were insinuating someone had.

For the last time, everyone can read the thread. I have not called anyone out by name and will not do so now. The OP and most of the whole first page was nothing but laughter and/or incredulity at the very suggestion. I’m sure some would like me to quote them so that they can say “That’s not what I meant”, but it ain’t gonna happen.

Of course no one has said they would knowingly eat diseased meat. That’s kinda the point.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: stxranchman] #7436530 02/17/19 06:36 PM
J
JKW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by JKW

Originally Posted by JKW

Seriously. I made the first statement about deer breeding not being allowed in Tennessee. You had to bring up hearsay about a couple of HF and "possibly introduced genetics from up north". Seriously you stated that, then wanted to play it off is not important after you causally mentioned it was "hearsay". You still made that statement.
I am not a deer breeder nor a HF ranch owner. I have no problem with those that want them and have them either. What I do have a problem with is when someone is stretching the facts or using hearsay to make up a case is becoming far more common with CWD and other diseases it seems nowadays. The disease(s) alone are serious and do not need embellishments of facts.

All the more reason I'm very confused on why you would bring these issues into the conversation. Oh well, right over my head. No worries, we can move on. I retract my statement about the captive herds in the area not being to blame if that helps.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7436585 02/17/19 07:53 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T

For the last time, everyone can read the thread. I have not called anyone out by name and will not do so now. The OP and most of the whole first page was nothing but laughter and/or incredulity at the very suggestion. I’m sure some would like me to quote them so that they can say “That’s not what I meant”, but it ain’t gonna happen.

Of course no one has said they would knowingly eat diseased meat. That’s kinda the point.

My intent of the post was to bring to light what is being said in other states and how this may impact our sport. I don’t think this is ever going to be an issue as far as I know there has never been a case of prion disease passing from an animal to a human in cooked meat. Mad cow disease was a huge issue until it wasn’t. CWD is an issue but I don’t believe it’s an issue of concern for most in transmission of prion to humans, more so just to protect the deer herd. This was the first time I had heard or seen written about concern of CWD causing disease in humans, so I thought it was laughable and interesting all the same. The sensationalistic news made this a story, a story that hasn’t been a story for the last many decades deer hunters/breeders/biologists have known about CWD.

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 02/17/19 07:54 PM.
Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7436593 02/17/19 08:08 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Approximately every 20 minutes, an alcohol-impaired driver kills or injures someone in a Texas DUI crash, everyone of us gets in a car every day.... statistically and all,

yet we hypothesis over if we would or wouldn’t eat something because of something that has never happened.

Ironic

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7436632 02/17/19 09:24 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Exactly my point. These researchers were essentially calling it “World war Z” over something that has not ever happened in decades. Seemed a little farcical to say the least.

Would I eat meat from a know. CWD infected deer? No. But I would not eat
Meat from a deer infected with any disease, so it’s kind of a silly question to ask who would eat it...

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7436703 02/17/19 10:58 PM
J
JKW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
It seems after this discussion that the vast majority of hunters here are actually on the same page. 1. not alarmed enough to quit or change their hunting 2. concerned enough that they wouldn't eat meat from animals with CWD. YMMV smile

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7437035 02/18/19 05:09 AM
W
Wheelin' Outdoorsman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
I don't think that anyone has any of the answers for what may be possible in the future. Disease, bacteria, and viruses are Mother Nature's ultimate example of the existence of evolution and the great population equalizer. The sad truth is we can't trust what we hear and we can't have open and well informed discussions about any topic any more. Too many people are too lazy to formulate their own opinions based on the available facts and the "facts" they use come from sensationalized snip-its from unreliable sources.

Wheelin' Outdoorsman
TurningPOINT & Team Challenge
www.turningpointnation.org
"To develop self-esteem and confidence in the physically challenged through participation in adapted outdoor adventures"
Re: CWD in people? [Re: JKW] #7437267 02/18/19 03:21 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by JKW
It seems after this discussion that the vast majority of hunters here are actually on the same page. 1. not alarmed enough to quit or change their hunting 2. concerned enough that they wouldn't eat meat from animals with CWD. YMMV smile

Are you concerned enough to test any meat(ungulate, poultry, or fish) you eat? If you are worried about CWD, then it should also go full spectrum. I am not one that cares.

But then again statistically I should of died along time ago if I was going to die when compared to CWD transmission (mountain climbing, skydiving,backcountry sking including heli, pilot licenses and glider time, drive more then 30k miles a year, over my BMI, collegiate sports, hunt mountains and wilderness, off shore fishing.)

But then again you have a high probability of dieing from not getting enough sleep or setting at a desk then CWD transmission

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7437374 02/18/19 04:54 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I liken it to Mad Cow. There were actually a few people in Great Britain back in the 90s who contracted a rare variant of Mad Cow from eating diseased beef. It was only a few, was very localized, and has not happened before or since. There’s been a lot of beef consumed all over the world for over 20 years with no other issues.

I suspect CWD will never be an issue for humans either by analogy to Mad Cow.

But, like all diseases, even the very remote possibilities are still concerning because of effects that could be wrought in the event a mutation of the disease allowed it to become transferable. So while no panic is in order, it does bear watching and further study. To deflect and/or go in “ostrich mode” just because it involves deer and deer hunting is kinda 1990s at this stage of the game.

But right now CWD is still just a deer issue.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7437585 02/18/19 07:46 PM
Txhunter65 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Maybe "nearly 200" deer have tested positive in your area because you have an deer density problem...."3 doe/day limit".

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7437616 02/18/19 08:19 PM
P
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I liken it to Mad Cow. There were actually a few people in Great Britain back in the 90s who contracted a rare variant of Mad Cow from eating diseased beef. It was only a few, was very localized, and has not happened before or since. There’s been a lot of beef consumed all over the world for over 20 years with no other issues.

I suspect CWD will never be an issue for humans either by analogy to Mad Cow.

But, like all diseases, even the very remote possibilities are still concerning because of effects that could be wrought in the event a mutation of the disease allowed it to become transferable. So while no panic is in order, it does bear watching and further study. To deflect and/or go in “ostrich mode” just because it involves deer and deer hunting is kinda 1990s at this stage of the game.

But right now CWD is still just a deer issue.

I concur. I haven't noticed hunters sticking their head in the sand about it. I have noticed a push back to those that "don't let a good crisis go to waste". The push back comes when this is blown up to be a crisis that really isn't speaking for myself.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7437631 02/18/19 08:31 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
As a “deflecting ostrich” Im only intested in scientific truths and at least a minute statical probablity, not fear based off the statical anomaly of a mutation. If you want to talk about risky behavior, let’s talk about something that can actually harm you....statistically and such, like drunk drivers/texters, prolonged sitting in desk chairs, ladders, firearm accidents etc

The most interesting thing about mad cow was the research and results that kicked into high gear due to it, specifically in regards to CWD and Scrapies. The outcome of that research and continued research still stands, CWD and Scrapies are non-transferable to humans through consumption of meat, regardless of genotypes of the human.

If you want to lesson your chances of contracting CWD, by testing then by all means do so, just remember also test all cattle meat you eat since there has actually been mad cow transfer to an American, there for you have a higher probability of catching mad cow.

Hindsight I guess I’m not a deflecting ostrich since i’m aware of the actual lack of risk

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7437699 02/18/19 09:31 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Personally I am going to be on the look out for the rabid text-driver who is more likely to cause an accident than the rare native infected CWD positive deer that I might consume drink7

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Txhunter65] #7437794 02/18/19 10:40 PM
J
JKW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by Txhunter65
Maybe "nearly 200" deer have tested positive in your area because you have an deer density problem...."3 doe/day limit".

Deer density probably ranges from 20-30 deer/square mile in the area (maybe some outliers around 40)-less over the last several years. TWRA has made it a goal over the last 10-15 years to keep the population density under carrying capacity and it's worked in a lot of areas. Just like in Texas, however, it's hard to get most hunters to kill does and buck harvest remains higher than doe in probably 75% of the Unit L counties.

Although the disease has just now been detected, it's obviously been in the area a while and simply escaped the random testing throughout the state until December. Most hunters have been reporting a SIGNIFICANT population drop over the last several years, but it's hard to quantify based on hunter observation. I'm of the mind that a herd under carrying capacity is generally healthier and could play a factor in how quickly the disease spreads. There is an intensely managed 18,000 acre hunting club that has been hit very hard with SEVERAL positive tests. Over the last 15 years they have lowered the density significantly but seem to be in the middle of the outbreak, so maybe density isn't as big of a factor as I think.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7437800 02/18/19 10:46 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Personally I am going to be on the look out for the rabid text-driver who is more likely to cause an accident than the rare native infected CWD positive deer that I might consume drink7

Sadly it’s become so common most us of know someone or know of someone killed by texting.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7437812 02/18/19 11:02 PM
J
JKW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by JKW

Are you concerned enough to test any meat(ungulate, poultry, or fish) you eat? If you are worried about CWD, then it should also go full spectrum. I am not one that cares.

But then again statistically I should of died along time ago if I was going to die when compared to CWD transmission (mountain climbing, skydiving,backcountry sking including heli, pilot licenses and glider time, drive more then 30k miles a year, over my BMI, collegiate sports, hunt mountains and wilderness, off shore fishing.)

But then again you have a high probability of dieing from not getting enough sleep or setting at a desk then CWD transmission

BOBO, I'll summarize what I've already said for you: If I kill a deer in an established, regulated CWD hotzone (in this case a seven-county area) I will have it tested (certain days it's mandatory, anyway). The deer I kill in bordering counties I won't, but will watch closely. The deer I kill in middle TN, Ohio, or Texas will not be tested.

If you feel it's silly to have a deer tested for CWD that is in an established hot zone, that's about the only point we differ. I agree, I'm much more likely to be killed driving 1250 miles to hunting ground (or in this case 700 to hot zone) than I am getting sick from a deer, but it suddenly becomes more real when you're actually hunting where the disease is known to be. It's kind of like switching from sitting in my driveway in my truck to driving 75 MPH-neither is likely to hurt you but one will have give you more concern.

I've been a firefighter for 26 years (23 as a career), so I'm no stranger to calculating risk. I regularly drive up to 1250 miles to hunt (I agree, more dangerous than hunting) but I wear my seatbelt and try to keep tread on my tires. I normally hunt between 30-40' in trees, but I wear a harness. I kill most of my deer with smokeless muzzleloaders, but I use a witness mark to make sure I don't blow a hand off. None of these are crazy, I just happen to consider eating CWD infected meat an unnecessary risk.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: JKW] #7437926 02/19/19 12:36 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by JKW
Originally Posted by JKW

BOBO, I'll summarize what I've already said for you: If I kill a deer in an established, regulated CWD hotzone (in this case a seven-county area) I will have it tested (certain days it's mandatory, anyway). The deer I kill in bordering counties I won't, but will watch closely. The deer I kill in middle TN, Ohio, or Texas will not be tested.

If you feel it's silly to have a deer tested for CWD that is in an established hot zone, that's about the only point we differ. I agree, I'm much more likely to be killed driving 1250 miles to hunting ground (or in this case 700 to hot zone) than I am getting sick from a deer, but it suddenly becomes more real when you're actually hunting where the disease is known to be. It's kind of like switching from sitting in my driveway in my truck to driving 75 MPH-neither is likely to hurt you but one will have give you more concern.

I've been a firefighter for 26 years (23 as a career), so I'm no stranger to calculating risk. I regularly drive up to 1250 miles to hunt (I agree, more dangerous than hunting) but I wear my seatbelt and try to keep tread on my tires. I normally hunt between 30-40' in trees, but I wear a harness. I kill most of my deer with smokeless muzzleloaders, but I use a witness mark to make sure I don't blow a hand off. None of these are crazy, I just happen to consider eating CWD infected meat an unnecessary risk.

I have no issue with risk management or reduction, I have no problem with people testing deer. It is extremely weird to me when people will fear and preach doomsday about a risk that’s never actually happened, and been proven to not of happened, yet ignore and not reduce one that’s more or most likely to happen.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7438300 02/19/19 01:30 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
You guys need to look up Big Buck Registry "A Cure In the Crosshairs - CWD Conference - Prions Not the Cause, Just a Byproduct"

It's a video out of Pennsylvania discussing the true cause of CWD, a bacteria called spiroplasma, and cures and treatments for same. Apparently a Dr. Bastian at LSU has identified the true cause of CWD and it's treatable/curable. I would post a link to the video but don't know how. It's on Facebook.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide