Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7436121 02/17/19 02:18 AM
J
JKW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Serious question: If there's nothing to worry about, will you eat deer that test positive for CWD?

If so, I can set you up with a steady stream of free deer meat. It's easy to talk tough and blow it off if it isn't in your area, but when your family eats multiple deer each year within a few miles of an outbreak it changes the narrative a little. The area I hunt most frequently has had nearly 200 deer test positive since December. I'm not panicking, but I'm also not eating any deer FROM THAT AREA without having it tested first. There's still much to be learned about prions, disease, transmission, mutation etc. Testing is free (for now). Why risk it?

Re: CWD in people? [Re: JKW] #7436247 02/17/19 12:52 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by JKW
Serious question: If there's nothing to worry about, will you eat deer that test positive for CWD?

If so, I can set you up with a steady stream of free deer meat. It's easy to talk tough and blow it off if it isn't in your area, but when your family eats multiple deer each year within a few miles of an outbreak it changes the narrative a little. The area I hunt most frequently has had nearly 200 deer test positive since December. I'm not panicking, but I'm also not eating any deer FROM THAT AREA without having it tested first. There's still much to be learned about prions, disease, transmission, mutation etc. Testing is free (for now). Why risk it?

Where in this thread did you read anything about intentionally eating meat that had a positive disease test of any kind?

Common sense isn’t common any more. This is a really stupid question that someone who has it wouldn’t ask.

So you equate not acting like chicken little to talking tough? hammer

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 02/17/19 12:55 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7436304 02/17/19 02:28 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
What is amusing is someone says they won't eat meat that has been tested positive, then what if your deer wasn't tested?
Does that mean you would give the deer to someone else if you didn't know for sure, or didn't get the meat tested, or better yet, throw it away?
My answer to "why risk it" would be that you need to take up another sport like golf.
Better wash your hands after a round, and leave your shoes outside.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: CWD in people? [Re: JKW] #7436306 02/17/19 02:31 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by JKW

Where do you hunt that has had 200 deer test positive since Dec? Must not be Texas.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: don k] #7436314 02/17/19 02:41 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by don k
Originally Posted by JKW

Where do you hunt that has had 200 deer test positive since Dec? Must not be Texas.

My question is why are you still hunting frequently for deer in an area with 200 deer testing positive, and what are you doing with the meat, if you are not eating it?
I would also like to know where that area is, and has it effected the lease prices yet?
One way to get rid of people you don't like I guess?

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: CWD in people? [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #7436325 02/17/19 02:54 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
That is funny!

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Jimbo] #7436368 02/17/19 03:43 PM
J
JKW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Originally Posted by don k
Originally Posted by JKW

My question is why are you still hunting frequently for deer in an area with 200 deer testing positive, and what are you doing with the meat, if you are not eating it?
I would also like to know where that area is, and has it effected the lease prices yet?
One way to get rid of people you don't like I guess?

This is in west TN. No one knows how it will affect lease prices yet as there have ZERO positive tests prior to this past season. I don't lease land since public hunting opportunities abound and I have permission to hunt some small farms-but I do watch closely. Any deer I kill INSIDE the five county CWD hotzone will be tested. If I happen to have any test positive I'll toss the meat or offer it up to someone who is more manly and less chicken than I am. With the three doe/day limit I won't starve even if one or two tests positive. Depending on how this develops between now and next year (the last 75 days have been a whirlwind, who knows what will happen before then) it will likely be business as normal in bordering counties.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7436374 02/17/19 03:52 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
What’s interesting is so many who LOL at the mere possibility of human contamination but then admit they would never knowingly eat CWD infected meat. You can’t poo-poo the possibility as fantasy yet then say prudence would dictate not eating it. If you’re cautious, you are admitting to the possibility. Period.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7436376 02/17/19 03:54 PM
J
JKW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Originally Posted by JKW

Where in this thread did you read anything about intentionally eating meat that had a positive disease test of any kind?

Common sense isn’t common any more. This is a really stupid question that someone who has it wouldn’t ask.

Pitchfork, apparently this questions wasn't directed at you since you consider it common sense not to eat deer that have CWD. It wasn't a stupid question, it was an honest one. I bet you and I actually aren't far apart in our thinking concerning CWD except I suspect you may not hunt a deer herd where CWD is common. If that's the case, I hope you consider yourself fortunate as it seems to be becoming more and more common.

I hope it never firmly establishes in Texas. If nothing else, the attempts to slow the spreading will completely rock the Texas hunting culture. Imagine not being able to transport deer in between counties. Imagine not being able to supplent feed (gasp). Imagine not being able to bait (double gasp). Imagine the cross-contaminated meat where most hunters use common processors. Another honest question: have you personally had to deal with this disease or it's ramifications?

Insult my commons sense all you like, but I didn't give it as much thought myself before this disease began to affect my hunting personally.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7436378 02/17/19 03:56 PM
J
JKW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
What’s interesting is so many who LOL at the mere possibility of human contamination but then admit they would never knowingly eat CWD infected meat. You can’t poo-poo the possibility as fantasy yet then say prudence would dictate not eating it. If you’re cautious, you are admitting to the possibility. Period.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: JKW] #7436411 02/17/19 04:32 PM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by JKW
Originally Posted by JKW

Pitchfork, apparently this questions wasn't directed at you since you consider it common sense not to eat deer that have CWD. It wasn't a stupid question, it was an honest one. I bet you and I actually aren't far apart in our thinking concerning CWD except I suspect you may not hunt a deer herd where CWD is common. If that's the case, I hope you consider yourself fortunate as it seems to be becoming more and more common.

I hope it never firmly establishes in Texas. If nothing else, the attempts to slow the spreading will completely rock the Texas hunting culture. Imagine not being able to transport deer in between counties. Imagine not being able to supplent feed (gasp). Imagine not being able to bait (double gasp). Imagine the cross-contaminated meat where most hunters use common processors. Another honest question: have you personally had to deal with this disease or it's ramifications?

Insult my commons sense all you like, but I didn't give it as much thought myself before this disease began to affect my hunting personally.

Again I will ask you where in this thread did someone post they would knowingly eat diseased meat?

To answer your question, yes there have been 2 live positive test not far from where I hunt, a mule deer and white tail.

But I still recognize the fact I have a much greater chance of dying from driving back and forth to hunt then being the first human to die of or be infected by CWD. I truly have not worried at all about it. As a matter of fact I am going to try to get Wytex to help me hunt the area of Wyoming they hunt in which is ground zero for CWD. Did you see the great bucks they took this year?

Please posts the facts pertaining to all the positive tests in your hunting area of Tennessee........

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: CWD in people? [Re: Jimbo] #7436415 02/17/19 04:35 PM
J
JKW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by Jimbo
What is amusing is someone says they won't eat meat that has been tested positive, then what if your deer wasn't tested?
Does that mean you would give the deer to someone else if you didn't know for sure, or didn't get the meat tested, or better yet, throw it away?
My answer to "why risk it" would be that you need to take up another sport like golf.
Better wash your hands after a round, and leave your shoes outside.

Thank you for your input. I'll assume that you would be one of those who wouldn't concern themselves with eating animals with CWD. Although I have decided not to eat meat that tests positive (I will have deer killed inside a hot zone tested), I respect your opinion. I will deer hunt as long as there are deer in the woods and I can physically climb a tree, golf has no appeal to me.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: JKW] #7436417 02/17/19 04:35 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by JKW

Do you have a link to show "nearly 200 deer" you are reporting? The only link I can find is a PDF showing around 140 or less as of 2/11/2019 out of several thousand tests. Are they still testing after the season since many of the test dates are after the season has ended?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: CWD in people? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7436419 02/17/19 04:37 PM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P

.....so do you order your meat diseased at the meat market so you can feel manly?

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: CWD in people? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7436437 02/17/19 05:00 PM
J
JKW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by JKW
Originally Posted by JKW

Again I will ask you where in this thread did someone post they would knowingly eat diseased meat?

To answer your question, yes there have been 2 live positive test not far from where I hunt, a mule deer and white tail.

But I still recognize the fact I have a much greater chance of dying from driving back and forth to hunt then being the first human to die of or be infected by CWD. I truly have not worried at all about it. As a matter of fact I am going to try to get Wytex to help me hunt the area of Wyoming they hunt in which is ground zero for CWD. Did you see the great bucks they took this year?

Please posts the facts pertaining to all the positive tests in your hunting area of Tennessee........

PItchfork, I was asking an honest questions. If people were already stating that they would eat diseased meat (or wouldn't), obviously I wouldn't have had to ask.

I'm glad you're not worried about it. In the areas I hunt that aren't affected (Texas, Ohio, middle TN) I don't worry about it. I won't worry about testing if I'm out of an established hotzone. If the seven-county area doesn't expand any further, I'll only hunt one of those counties for sure and maybe a second. I'll test and hope nothing comes back positive. I'll hunt at least three bordering counties for sure, though and will continue to hunt and eat deer as normal until it changes.

Honest question: If you were hunting in an officially established and regulated hot zone, would you take advantage of free testing or consider it silly?

What facts are you looking for concerning the positive tests? It's developing rapidly and the last update I heard was early this month (168 since Dec 6) but still more tests results coming as the season was extended until Jan 31 for the original three counties. In my opinion TWRA has done a great job in managing this outbreak and attempting to slow it's progression.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: stxranchman] #7436444 02/17/19 05:07 PM
J
JKW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Originally Posted by JKW

Do you have a link to show "nearly 200 deer" you are reporting? The only link I can find is a PDF showing around 140 or less as of 2/11/2019 out of several thousand tests. Are they still testing after the season since many of the test dates are after the season has ended?

That's a good question, stranchman. The season was extended until Jan 31 for three counties specifically to gain a larger testing sample. The last update I heard was 168, but I understand there are more results to come in as testing takes some time. They will still test deer after season as they have the last few years (road kill, etc), but at in increased rate since the positive tests have occurred. I hope there are zero more, but 168 was what I meant by "nearly 200" and unfortunately likely not the last before the results come in.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7436456 02/17/19 05:22 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Re: CWD in people? [Re: stxranchman] #7436466 02/17/19 05:31 PM
J
JKW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J

Thanks stxranchman. I saw some negative tests from 1/27 on the list, so hopefully the last few days of the season's harvest won't provide many more positives. I think that preliminary positives are retested for confirmation, so that might explain the last positives being 1/20 harvest unfortunately.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7436469 02/17/19 05:32 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

.....so do you order your meat diseased at the meat market so you can feel manly?

Total deflection-and a nonsensical one at that given that I have not said I dismissed the possibility, and I never said I would knowingly eat CWD infected meat.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7436472 02/17/19 05:36 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I guess all those deer breeders in Tennessee will now get the blame for CWD they brought into the state...confused2...Oh, wait...deer ownership/breeding would be illegal in Tennessee. So I guess they could place the blame on the agencies who allowed elk nidea to be moved into and restocked into the state since elk are known carriers of CWD... peep

Re: CWD in people? [Re: stxranchman] #7436474 02/17/19 05:42 PM
J
JKW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by stxranchman
I guess all those deer breeders in Tennessee will now get the blame for CWD they brought into the state...confused2...Oh, wait...deer ownership/breeding would be illegal in Tennessee. So I guess they could place the blame on the agencies who allowed elk nidea to be moved into and restocked into the state. peep

There are a couple of high-fenced operations near "ground zero," one of which is said to have possibly introduced genetics from up north. Just hearsay, however, and I highly doubt they're to blame even if it were true. I would imagine a captive herd would have had many positives if they were involved.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7436480 02/17/19 05:43 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
no Issues here with eating untested Venison, beef, Mutton/lamb, fish, birds etc.

Speaking of, either venison chops or lamb chops for dinner sure sounds good

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: CWD in people? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7436485 02/17/19 05:51 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
no Issues here with eating untested Venison, beef, Mutton/lamb, fish, birds etc.

Speaking of, either venison chops or lamb chops for dinner sure sounds good

I just had some Trans Pecos mule deer backstrap for dinner today and supper last night. Ate mule deer ham steaks for 3 days in the last week also. I have killed and eaten 9 mule deer in the last 25 yrs from the Trans Pecos region and several more WT from that area and the Panhandle. I had a WT buck processed I killed in mid Jan in the lower part of the Panhandle that I will eat this year. Never had any of them tested. I would be more worried about eating a deer from an area that has Anthrax than CWD.

Re: CWD in people? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7436487 02/17/19 05:53 PM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P

Total deflection-and a nonsensical one at that given that I have not said I dismissed the possibility, and I never said I would knowingly eat CWD infected meat.

Who are you insinuating did say it? Let’s see the quotes.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: CWD in people? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7436489 02/17/19 05:55 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Everyone eats untested meat. That’s not the issue or question.

Where the rubber hits the road re:hypocrisy is whether those who claim there is zero possibility of human infection would knowingly eat CWD-infected meat.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide