Print Thread
Swfa ss spin off question #7433730 02/14/19 04:18 AM
H
HandyMan91 Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Been looking for a scope on a few other threads, have been recommended with my proposed budget to get a swfa ss (non hd) 10x or 12x . Several people touting their durability and reliability at the given price point. However, more than once I have heard or read, in other places as well not just here at thf, a version of the following "glass isnt that great" specifically referring to the swfa ss line. What does that mean? Not great compared to what? 1k+ $ scopes? Leupold , zeiss, nikon?

My most expensive scope at this juncture is a vortex diamondback 4-12. Not by any means a "nice" scope as I've come to learn. Most if not all of my scopes before that came in blister packs or from the low end used market/yard sales (Simmons, bushnell, tasco etc). Will the glass be "not that great" compared to what I've owned before?

If you cant already tell I dont like letting go of my cash easily and I over analyze what I consider "large purchases" . I have almost ordered an swfa twice in the last couple days, then I think back to "glass isnt that great" and I back off. How bad is it really?

Originally Posted by Biscuit
The only thing flat earthers have to fear is sphere itself

Re: Swfa ss spin off question [Re: HandyMan91] #7433751 02/14/19 05:09 AM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by HandyMan91
Been looking for a scope on a few other threads, have been recommended with my proposed budget to get a swfa ss (non hd) 10x or 12x . Several people touting their durability and reliability at the given price point. However, more than once I have heard or read, in other places as well not just here at thf, a version of the following "glass isnt that great" specifically referring to the swfa ss line. What does that mean? Not great compared to what? 1k+ $ scopes? Leupold , zeiss, nikon?

My most expensive scope at this juncture is a vortex diamondback 4-12. Not by any means a "nice" scope as I've come to learn. Most if not all of my scopes before that came in blister packs or from the low end used market/yard sales (Simmons, bushnell, tasco etc). Will the glass be "not that great" compared to what I've owned before?

If you cant already tell I dont like letting go of my cash easily and I over analyze what I consider "large purchases" . I have almost ordered an swfa twice in the last couple days, then I think back to "glass isnt that great" and I back off. How bad is it really?

The SWFA scopes are solid, and great values. If you can’t go over there and look at them, another idea might be to buy one of the used ones off samplelist.com (or a new one) and in the event you didn’t like it, sell it on the forum here. You might incur a small loss but my bet is that you would like the scope.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Swfa ss spin off question [Re: HandyMan91] #7433775 02/14/19 06:30 AM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
It all depends, one of the clearest scopes I ever looked through even at dusk was a 39.99 Simmons but that was in the 90s and that scope is long gone but it was clearer post legal shooting time than any of my friends or my Leupolds, Nikon or Pentax of the day. That is the only Simmons scope I ever looked through though that I would consider having very good glass. So it is possible to have great glass in a cheap scope I just would not count on it.

These days I mostly hunt with Swaro, Kahles or Zeiss but do sometimes use Nikon scopes.

About every product out there you will find some negative reviews on and I have posted some on brands many say are reliable and I know it is just my luck with one brand in particular. Bad experiences get talked about more than average ones or good ones.

T Here is a difference in the SS HD and the standard HD versions just like there is with the other brand and look through the same model scope from any manufacture and the HD glass will be noticably better especially in low light or even seeing into shadows in brighter light areas.

I rea today from some that the SS HD scopes were not available at SWFA and looking in their site you can back order but cannot place an order on any of their HD Models.

My current elk gun if I were hunting them has a Swaro on it but have mostly hunted elk with 3-9X40 Nikon or Leupold and one trip had to use the backup rifle with a 2-7 Nikon, still got an elk, mule deer and pronghorn on that trip.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Swfa ss spin off question [Re: HandyMan91] #7433811 02/14/19 12:16 PM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
The regular 10X Fixed is very clear. I don't think anyone is complaining about that one. The model that does get a little criticism of the glass is the 3-15. It uses the same glass as the 10X but you have more magnification and more lenses because its a variable.

Re: Swfa ss spin off question [Re: HandyMan91] #7433817 02/14/19 12:26 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
I personally can’t compare the scope directly to the diamondback for clarity but I would say the glass is similar to the original Nikon Prostaff. Which in my opinion is an acceptable hunting scope. You’re correct, at least about my statements, I’m comparing it to scopes in the $800-1500 range when I say the glass is not that clear. They definitely beat blister packs.

SWFA has an in store used section that ranges from displays to trade ins. It’s an excellent way to buy their scope since they have a no questions warranty.

https://www.samplelist.com/swfa-ss-12x42-riflescope-demo-c.html

They also offer that scope in side focus instead of rear focus on the 10x

https://www.samplelist.com/swfa-ss-10x42-riflescope-demo-c-3.html

It can also me had in moa or mil. I think there’s an example of all of them on the samplelist.

Here is the entire samplelist. The scopes in question start at the bottom of page 7 and continue on.

https://www.samplelist.com/entire-sample-list.html?

Re: Swfa ss spin off question [Re: HandyMan91] #7433840 02/14/19 12:59 PM
H
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Wp75169 , you weren't the only one that mentioned glass isnt that great, not trying to single you out by any means. I'm just trying get a grasp on what I should expect from the 10x compared to the scopes I have owned. Sounds like I wont be let down, I just kept running accross "glass isnt that great" in several discussions over the swfa ss line

Re: Swfa ss spin off question [Re: HandyMan91] #7433841 02/14/19 01:00 PM
H
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
As a side note I made an offer on a used 10x ss this morning , waiting to hear back on it. If I get it I'll be at half of the cost of a new 10x

Re: Swfa ss spin off question [Re: HandyMan91] #7433852 02/14/19 01:32 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
I admit I have unintentionally turned into a scope snob. Many scopes that I wouldn’t buy today have served me well for years in the past. I try to stop and put things in context. I have two coworkers who bought Tikkas but didn’t see the purpose of expensive scopes. One has a Nikon Prostaff and the other a Burris FFII. Both scopes were under $150, and both owners are very pleased with their purchase.

Re: Swfa ss spin off question [Re: HandyMan91] #7433863 02/14/19 01:55 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
The 10x and 12x are on par with hunting scopes in the same price range in terms of glass quality, but they have good, reliable turrets as well. They're not clear compared to the $1k+ or $3k+ scopes that lots of folks have started using on long range rigs. But they're really perfect for what they are - an entry-level long range scope with good glass, good turrets, good reticle, and good build quality.

Re: Swfa ss spin off question [Re: wp75169] #7433865 02/14/19 01:59 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by wp75169
I admit I have unintentionally turned into a scope snob. Many scopes that I wouldn’t buy today have served me well for years in the past. I try to stop and put things in context. I have two coworkers who bought Tikkas but didn’t see the purpose of expensive scopes. One has a Nikon Prostaff and the other a Burris FFII. Both scopes were under $150, and both owners are very pleased with their purchase.

I'm the same. Never thought I'd own an SWFA HD 5-20...but now I'm thinking of upgrading past it. It kind of turns into an endless search for more. I need to just be happy with what I have. I can say with relative certainty that a more expensive scope wouldn't have given me any more hits. Now if I was pushing the limits of distance or caliber, then that would probably be a little different. I can imagine that it'd be easier to see splashes at a mile with a Tangent Theta than it would be with my SWFA HD. But my 6.5 won't even go that far.

Re: Swfa ss spin off question [Re: HandyMan91] #7433878 02/14/19 02:15 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
My favorite analogy for scope glass clarity are tv, especially for those of us who went from crt to now.

When you're in the store and you have 2 tv's side by side at a very similar price, then telling subtle differences is easy. Do them in separate rooms is much harder.
Obviously price is not the be all end all but my basic point is that it is about the same once you get in certain price ranges. To me, reputation for ruggedness and features are what make my choice. I have the swfa 3-15 and would say it's close enough in clarity to my leupold vx3 4.5-14. Now the woman's ziess hd5 3-5 is noticeably better than either of other 2 but also much more expensive.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Swfa ss spin off question [Re: HandyMan91] #7433993 02/14/19 04:15 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by HandyMan91
Wp75169 , you weren't the only one that mentioned glass isnt that great, not trying to single you out by any means. I'm just trying get a grasp on what I should expect from the 10x compared to the scopes I have owned. Sounds like I wont be let down, I just kept running accross "glass isnt that great" in several discussions over the swfa ss line

Spend the money for "HD", get "HD" clarity. Don't spend the money, it won't be as clear.

Mechanically SS scopes are tough, and reliable. They have two levels of glass clarity, HD, and not. Add their mechanics to HD, and you have an excellent scope, especially for the money. I have used an SS 5-20 HD for going on 7 years. Externally. It looks like my boots do after a year, beat up. Internally, it has never failed. I'll never sell it, even though I have two high end Bushnell scopes, and a Nightforce ATACR.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Swfa ss spin off question [Re: Korean Redneck] #7434431 02/15/19 01:50 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Korean Redneck
My favorite analogy for scope glass clarity are tv, especially for those of us who went from crt to now.

When you're in the store and you have 2 tv's side by side at a very similar price, then telling subtle differences is easy. Do them in separate rooms is much harder.
Obviously price is not the be all end all but my basic point is that it is about the same once you get in certain price ranges. To me, reputation for ruggedness and features are what make my choice. I have the swfa 3-15 and would say it's close enough in clarity to my leupold vx3 4.5-14. Now the woman's ziess hd5 3-5 is noticeably better than either of other 2 but also much more expensive.

I will say, when you are trying to spot misses at the limit of a caliber's range and there is no energy left (like a 6.5 hitting the dirt at 1,200 yards), there is a world of difference between alpha-level glass (ATACR, Kahles, S&B, Minox, Tangent Theta, etc.) and just 'good' glass or even worse, something low-end. Just saying - there is a reason these folks spend crazy money.

I buy cheap TVs, but I don't scrimp on scope quality anymore.

Re: Swfa ss spin off question [Re: HandyMan91] #7434492 02/15/19 02:58 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Kahles, I want a Kahles, did somebody say Kahles?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide