Print Thread
Wood Burning Stove #7357886 11/26/18 03:54 AM
B
Bear Charge Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Have you ever installed one in a small cabin? Is this something you would learn by doing or hire out? If you hired out, who would you look for?

"Democracy is a sheep and two lions voting. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote."
Ben Franklin
Re: Wood Burning Stove [Re: Bear Charge] #7357892 11/26/18 04:19 AM
M
MRR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
the two trouble areas you are going to run into is through the ceiling and roof. They make a box for through the ceiling that keeps the pipe away from combustibles and then you need a roof jack and rain collar. The main trouble is going to be ceiling joists and rafters,it is unlikely you can dodge both so one or both will need to be cut and reframed to allow for proper clearance. Then you have to deal with the roof jack.

The more I think about it, I think you should hire it done.

Re: Wood Burning Stove [Re: Bear Charge] #7357893 11/26/18 04:27 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
It isn't hard, but you have to follow the code, even if you are out in the boonies, they are a fire hazard. Either a fireproof floor or use one of teh commercially made pads to set it on. The stove determines the clearances for walls, the stove company has that info. The single wall pipe going up needs to changed out before the ceiling and through the attic with the double wall stuff. They used to sell kits for all of that stuff. A fireplace store that sells the chimney kits usually will offer assistance and info.

This is what a friend did to make sure our pipe was straight 90 degrees through the ceiling and attic. He set the stove in place, added one small piece of pipe, Lined up a 22 rifle in the center of the pipe and shot a hole through the ceiling and the roof.. He used a Sawzall to cut the ceiling and roof holes, then added the pipe and the box and double wall pipe at the ceiling through the roof. He had done this before, I was only looking on.

For a small cabin, you only need a small stove, the good ones can put out some monster heat.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Wood Burning Stove [Re: Bear Charge] #7357905 11/26/18 05:24 AM
D
Dalee7892 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
U tube is your friend. Watch some videos, at least a few. Then determine if you have the skills. Most ceiling joist and rafters should be on 16 or 24 centers. Roof hopefully is asphalt shingles, might need several for replacement. Single wall pipe to ceiling, fire box to transition to double or triple wall pipe the rest of the way. Make sure to have pipe tall enough out of roof for good draft. Could use cement board on walls for fire protection, keep stove off wall per mfg. instruction. Could pour some concrete on the floor if it is wood, only couple inches thick.
Hope some of this helps.

Re: Wood Burning Stove [Re: Bear Charge] #7358011 11/26/18 02:00 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I just installed one into my home that I just built. Ended up with a hearthstone Shelburne.

I've used it 4 or so times already this year including last night. It's advertised to heats up to 1800 I can guarantee you it heats my 1600 just fine.

I built all my chimney etc myself. There is actually not a lot of technical YouTube videos on the manufactures chimney pipe I installed. Once you penetrate a wall or ceiling you've got to use double walled insulated pipe. Let me tell you cha ching. That stuff is pricey I went through the wall behind the fireplace then ran up the exterior wall. There is also a T that youve got to install for cleaning purposes if you take that route. Think the t alone was 350.

If you're buying new just make sure the place you're buying from knows what they are selling and are knowledgeable. I got stumped a few times and had to call those guys for some free technical assistance. I don't know where you are located but I highly recommend north Texas chimney in Krum. I highly recommend you stay away from the place in Allen tx.

Also those things are heavy. Like really really heavy, with no place to grab them. I got my brother and my nephew to help and used straps and 2 x 4s and it was all we could do.

Ps also there is a formula you can find online that shows your minimum chimney height. Has to do with the pitch of your roof so know that. Or if you buy from someone they should be able to tell you the height but again know your roof pitch.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by ducknbass; 11/26/18 02:07 PM.
Re: Wood Burning Stove [Re: Bear Charge] #7358342 11/26/18 05:12 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Please tell me you were sitting there crocheting that blanket rofl BTW - impressive work.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Wood Burning Stove [Re: Judd] #7358498 11/26/18 07:01 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
rofl

I was going to suggest going through the wall rather than cutting a hole in the roof..... up

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Wood Burning Stove [Re: Judd] #7358510 11/26/18 07:10 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Judd
Please tell me you were sitting there crocheting that blanket rofl BTW - impressive work.

Nope a little snot nosed adorable blonde that loves her daddy was watching the TV.

Re: Wood Burning Stove [Re: Bear Charge] #7368880 12/06/18 07:30 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
What is this "small cabin" like? does it have a ceiling? or exposed rafters and decking? It might be a lot easier than we are thinking of.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Wood Burning Stove [Re: Bear Charge] #7369676 12/07/18 04:22 PM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
When I was a kid mom and dad had a weekend cabin. They bought an old pot belly coal burning stove that we cut short wood to feed it. Man when that thing got going it rocked the heat. We just had single wall pipe with "then state of the art" wall penetration kit. When we got ready to leave on Sunday Grandad would set a kerosene log** in the bottom and build firewood above it. That way when we arrived late on a cold winter Friday night all we had to do was drop a match in and we would have heat in short order. Years later when the wife and I built our cabin we too used single wall pipe and didn't kill ourselves. I guess if we were to build today I would use the better double wall materials but I chuckle at those who think you will kill yourself if you don't go by all things "code" in an primitive off grid cabin.

**Grandad had a newspaper roller that he would roll to a diameter of about 4". Then he would cut the log into lengths of ~ 4" and put them in large coffee cans filled with kerosene.

Make America Great Again

Re: Wood Burning Stove [Re: Bear Charge] #7369788 12/07/18 06:08 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Yes the term I used "have to use" is relative. Should have said per code. Thousands of stoves burning all over the country have much simpler systems I'm sure. I just don't know if you can buy the old style penetration kits any longer.

Re: Wood Burning Stove [Re: Bear Charge] #7378490 12/16/18 09:14 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Yeah, if it's just a shack/cabin- not a small house, just run it out the roof. Tar around. Hunting outfitters/Guides run stovepipes out canvas wall tents without burning down the tent. Many years ago I ran a stovepipe out at a 45 degree angle through a Plexiglas window pane- you' d think the Plexiglas would melt but it never did. Generally the stovepipe helps heat the cabin so ideally have the piper near the ridge (maximum amount of pipe in the cabin). If it is a leaking cabin you'll get enough fresh air but carbon monoxide is an issue if all is sealed up tight.

Re: Wood Burning Stove [Re: Bear Charge] #7383837 12/21/18 10:58 PM
B
Bear Charge Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
12'x20' cabin with two lofts and a metal roof. After looking at the cost of chimney pipe, even though I've got the skill and tools, it'd be cheaper to just by an infared electric heater without worrying about CO and fire hazzards.

"Democracy is a sheep and two lions voting. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote."
Ben Franklin
Re: Wood Burning Stove [Re: Bear Charge] #7383855 12/21/18 11:16 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Bear Charge
12'x20' cabin with two lofts and a metal roof. After looking at the cost of chimney pipe, even though I've got the skill and tools, it'd be cheaper to just by an infared electric heater without worrying about CO and fire hazzards.

There you go. A happy, warm family is more important than the "ambiance" of a wood stove. Take your money and buy a generator, in case the power goes out, if you don't already own one.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Wood Burning Stove [Re: Bear Charge] #7384683 12/23/18 12:13 AM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Back in the day we graduated from the wood stove to a Deerborn heater running on propane. Did a great job and had a CO2 detection/shutdown.

Make America Great Again

Re: Wood Burning Stove [Re: Bear Charge] #7384912 12/23/18 05:17 AM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Bear Charge

Get a Honda inverter. Eu2000. Purrs like a kitten.

Re: Wood Burning Stove [Re: Bear Charge] #7433746 02/14/19 04:52 AM
W
Wytex Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
Funny, our True Value Hardware carries all the pipes an t's you need for way less than prices you all are throwing around.
Many folks up here run the pipe through the side wall and attach it with metal straps.
Not hard to do at all.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide