Page 1 of 2 1 2
overgassed #7430744 02/11/19 01:59 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
G
My 6.8 has always ejected at 1-1:30 and I never cared because it cycled & killed pigs. I can only imagine the addition of a suppressor and handloads (probably hotter than factory) has added more gas. I found the broken lower & rear takedown pin and now I care. I have heard adjustable blocks can be a pain. Should I try the heavy buffer and/or spring instead? If you've been down this road, please share your wisdom.

Re: overgassed [Re: garyrapp55] #7430799 02/11/19 02:40 PM
A
aggiehunter03 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
A
Both of your takedown pins were broken into?

Re: overgassed [Re: garyrapp55] #7430805 02/11/19 02:45 PM
B
BigDad Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I went with a heavy buffer and spring in my AR308, it helped but I have since added an adjustable gas block and it really tamed it.

Joe
Re: overgassed [Re: garyrapp55] #7430806 02/11/19 02:46 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I would definitely add an adjustable gas block
Adding a heavier buffer is just slowing the bolt down but a gas block is reducing the pressure going into the system.
I run a VLTOR A5 buffer system on my 6.8 along with an adjustable GB. On my son's I run a normal carbine setup along with an adjustable GB.
Cans are always on.

I shoot for 3:30-4 for brass ejection.

Re: overgassed [Re: garyrapp55] #7430808 02/11/19 02:47 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Adjustable gas blocks are not a pain, and an absolute necessity when running an AR, especially with a suppressor, in my opinion. LR-308 has a great hand load made for it, not loaded to published max, and it was ejecting at 1 to 2 o'clock. Adjustable gas block, one click open, and it ejects at 3 to 4 o'clock like it should. Jist make sure and buy one that has the adjustment screw facing forward.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: overgassed [Re: garyrapp55] #7430816 02/11/19 02:53 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C

Re: overgassed [Re: garyrapp55] #7430832 02/11/19 03:01 PM
K
Korean Redneck Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Already been said but I'll second. They are great and much easier to set up than one initially thinks.

I've built a few at this point but only one adjustable setup and I concluded that everything but a "standard 5.56" setup should have an adjustable block. They're more affordable now than ever. I have an Odin Works version, the really simple style. I has a screw for a simple adjustment and a set screw behind it to hold in place. That said, i don't have a centerfire can and would love one of those switchable ones for some setup.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: overgassed [Re: garyrapp55] #7430898 02/11/19 04:06 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I have some JP enterprise adjustable gas blocks and they are great. Setting them up takes only a few shots and I have not had to mess with it since. Guns have less recoil after also.

Re: overgassed [Re: garyrapp55] #7430907 02/11/19 04:16 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
The 6.8 history with load data has been a rocky one. Most load data is with the 6.8 SPC I (one) pressure. Most 6.8 rifles are SPC II (two) chambers. The SPC 2 chamber will allow about 2-3 grains extra powder to equal the same pressure. I know some shooters who run a VERY stout load, even for an SPC 2 chamber. Adding a suppressor generally adds about 3K-5K psi to the round. So adding a can to an already stout load can cause over pressures. Having an adjustable gas block is a great addition. It will allow less gas back, but won't help if the load is already a warm load.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: overgassed [Re: aggiehunter03] #7430958 02/11/19 04:52 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted by aggiehunter03
Both of your takedown pins were broken into?

nope, just the rear

looks like I'm in the market for an adjustable, something I should have done long ago no doubt bang

Re: overgassed [Re: garyrapp55] #7430971 02/11/19 05:05 PM
H
hdfireman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
I use SLR Rifleworks adjustable gas blocks and have never had an issue. Plus the adjustment screw is forward facing and detents so it's easy to go from suppressed to unsuppressed.

[Linked Image]
07 FFL
eric@blackstonearms.com
214-945-5520
The 6.8 is the #1 choice for hunting deer and hogs in an AR15
Re: overgassed [Re: garyrapp55] #7431720 02/12/19 09:41 AM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
You do not have to go with an adjustable gas block. You can definitely fix the issue with a combination of: heavier buffer, heavier spring, heavier carrier. Lots of people fix it that way. Many AR guys will say do not go with an adjustable gas block because you don't need it.

Now, if you want to go with an adjustable gas block, then you can go that route. I prefer to go with a heavier buffer and then fine tune with an adjustable gas block if needed. I have one on a 6.5 Grendel and a 458 socom, both run suppressed. Adjustable gas blocks can get expensive. They are easy to install and set up. Like mentioned, better to get one adjustable from the front, but not required if you always shoot suppressed. Just leave the hand guard off while you adjust it.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: overgassed [Re: garyrapp55] #7431987 02/12/19 04:13 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
I have no idea whether these specific one is are good or have any thing made by Radical Firearms for that matter but at least it's cheap.

https://www.primaryarms.com/radical-firearms-low-profile-adjustable-gas-block-750-set-screw-style
The way I figure that if Radical Firearms can make a regular gas block that can seal, then this is very basic one simply has a screw to partially cover the hole and a set screw to security.

Re: overgassed [Re: J.G.] #7432140 02/12/19 06:40 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by ccoker
I would definitely add an adjustable gas block
Adding a heavier buffer is just slowing the bolt down but a gas block is reducing the pressure going into the system.
I run a VLTOR A5 buffer system on my 6.8 along with an adjustable GB. On my son's I run a normal carbine setup along with an adjustable GB.
Cans are always on.

I shoot for 3:30-4 for brass ejection.

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Adjustable gas blocks are not a pain, and an absolute necessity when running an AR, especially with a suppressor, in my opinion. LR-308 has a great hand load made for it, not loaded to published max, and it was ejecting at 1 to 2 o'clock. Adjustable gas block, one click open, and it ejects at 3 to 4 o'clock like it should. Jist make sure and buy one that has the adjustment screw facing forward.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: overgassed [Re: Toxarch] #7432145 02/12/19 06:44 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Toxarch
You do not have to go with an adjustable gas block. You can definitely fix the issue with a combination of: heavier buffer, heavier spring, heavier carrier. Lots of people fix it that way. Many AR guys will say do not go with an adjustable gas block because you don't need it.

Now, if you want to go with an adjustable gas block, then you can go that route. I prefer to go with a heavier buffer and then fine tune with an adjustable gas block if needed. I have one on a 6.5 Grendel and a 458 socom, both run suppressed. Adjustable gas blocks can get expensive. They are easy to install and set up. Like mentioned, better to get one adjustable from the front, but not required if you always shoot suppressed. Just leave the hand guard off while you adjust it.

I own several and would never advise not to go with the adjustable gas block. Why bring multiple components into the mix when you can solve the problem with one? And when you start replacing carrier groups etc... your not saving money.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: overgassed [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7432254 02/12/19 08:23 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

I own several and would never advise not to go with the adjustable gas block. Why bring multiple components into the mix when you can solve the problem with one? And when you start replacing carrier groups etc... your not saving money.

And then change a load/ammo, and ejection changes. Add or take away a suppressor and ejection changes. Much easier to make a click or two, than to mess with all those parts.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: overgassed [Re: garyrapp55] #7432685 02/13/19 02:34 AM
S
snarkscarbine Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Heavier buffer or AGB will each help on their own, but they’ll work a lot better together. I’m a big fan of the Tubb springs. I’ve got two different Odin blocks, a PSA, and a Seekins. All work equally well with some nuanced differences in operation, but they all work better with a quality spring and heavier buffer.

Re: overgassed [Re: J.G.] #7432835 02/13/19 09:48 AM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T

And then change a load/ammo, and ejection changes. Add or take away a suppressor and ejection changes. Much easier to make a click or two, than to mess with all those parts.

Ejection location is a range, not a specific point. You can change ammo or add a suppressor and still be in the range.

I can shoot subs, supers, 110g, 150g, 200g, 220g, with and without a suppressor in my 300 blackout, no AG, and don't have an over gassed or under gassed problem. Empty brass will be in a nice pile after I'm done shooting.

You can buy a set of buffer weights to adjust your buffer yourself. Much cheaper than a gas block and that is usually all that is needed. There's the one component change you asked for.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: overgassed [Re: garyrapp55] #7432887 02/13/19 12:53 PM
H
HicksHunter Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
I've got two Wojtek Weaponry adjustable gas blocks on my suppressed ARs and they are fantastic. They're like $40 and the owner is a real stand up guy.

That said, I think the post above (if it's to be believed) is an outlier. Unless he's running a 20" barrel with quick-burning powders in .300blk there will always be a large variation in ejection patterns, greater volumes of gas, and increased bolt velocity when running suppressed. A buffer can help but an adjustable gas block is the best because it will actually cut down on the amount of gas that reaches the action instead of just delaying the unlocking by a few thousandths of a second.

I run my 6.8 and 5.56 SBRs suppressed only and I had to do something about the gas because I nearly choke on it as a lefty. I made some lighter handloads (about 5% slower than my normal loads), set the gas block to its lowest setting, and then turned it up with each shot until my bolt just barely locked back. Now with my normal handloads I have light recoil, much less gas in the face, and my case mouths aren't getting destroyed on the brass deflector. I run an H2 buffer not because it helps with reliability, but because I like the recoil impulse of more mass vs less mass.

Last edited by HicksHunter; 02/13/19 12:54 PM.
Re: overgassed [Re: Toxarch] #7432934 02/13/19 01:56 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Ejection location is a range, not a specific point. You can change ammo or add a suppressor and still be in the range.

I can shoot subs, supers, 110g, 150g, 200g, 220g, with and without a suppressor in my 300 blackout, no AG, and don't have an over gassed or under gassed problem. Empty brass will be in a nice pile after I'm done shooting.

You can buy a set of buffer weights to adjust your buffer yourself. Much cheaper than a gas block and that is usually all that is needed. There's the one component change you asked for.

Have you tried the same "correction" on 5.56mm 16", .223 Wylde AR pistol, LR-308?

Your solution is not a one size fits all, but an adjustable gas block is. And it reduces trauma to the bolt, and upper.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: overgassed [Re: garyrapp55] #7432948 02/13/19 02:15 PM
H
hdfireman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Different weight buffer or spring is not a fix, it’s a bandaid. The same amount of gas is coming back to the carrier and the buffer and spring have very little affect on the carrier for the first part of it unlocking and cycling. A heavier buffer and spring change the ejection pattern but not the overpassed problem.

[Linked Image]
07 FFL
eric@blackstonearms.com
214-945-5520
The 6.8 is the #1 choice for hunting deer and hogs in an AR15
Re: overgassed [Re: hdfireman] #7432970 02/13/19 02:32 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by hdfireman
Different weight buffer or spring is not a fix, it’s a bandaid. The same amount of gas is coming back to the carrier and the buffer and spring have very little affect on the carrier for the first part of it unlocking and cycling. A heavier buffer and spring change the ejection pattern but not the overpassed problem.

This sounds like some made up conspiracy by free mansons, firemen and the evil adjustable block industry. Don't believe it for one second.

Re: overgassed [Re: garyrapp55] #7433172 02/13/19 05:39 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I have one of these for sale in the classifieds for 150 bucks
they work great! all mine have an adjustable GB

just move over your bolt
https://www.silencershop.com/gemtech-5-56-suppressed-bolt-carrier.html

Re: overgassed [Re: Korean Redneck] #7433244 02/13/19 07:15 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Korean Redneck

This sounds like some made up conspiracy by free mansons, firemen and the evil adjustable block industry. Don't believe it for one second.

You're smart enough to figure it out. Eric is right. Same amount of gas is comin in, it is just up against more resistance.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: overgassed [Re: J.G.] #7433310 02/13/19 09:12 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted by Korean Redneck

You're smart enough to figure it out. Eric is right. Same amount of gas is comin in, it is just up against more resistance.

Yes enough over gassed and you can have a bolt trying to open while the chamber is sill under pressure and with a heavy enough buffer spring still get ejection right around the 3 o'clock position.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide