Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Sight Question #7428785 02/09/19 04:16 AM
Texan Medic Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I currentky shoot a IQ 5 pin bowsight, which I love because I can tell when I’m torquing the bow and what not, but have been entertaining the thought of switching to a single pin sight. Are there any advantages to a single pin sight over a multi pin sight? Any and all input is appreciated

Re: Sight Question [Re: Texan Medic] #7452928 03/07/19 07:12 PM
M
Mr Lebowski Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Depends on what type of hunting you are doing. Tree Stand-Blind Hunting or 3D shooting go for it.... If you spot and stalk, I would stay with your current sight.

Slayer of winged birds, sniper of four legged animals, Warrior of God!

Thank you Lord for providing us in the spiritual and physical aspects of our lives. You have given plenty of game for us to feed our families and pass on the heritage. God Bless Texas
Re: Sight Question [Re: Texan Medic] #7490072 04/17/19 08:25 PM
G
GregO722 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
G
The obvious advantage is less clutter in your sight picture, and less to focus on. If you are using a single "fixed" pin, and your shots are within the range of that single pin, then great idea. Unfortunately, most single pin users will have a slider, so they can adjust to different ranges. And that's where the problems start. It happens (and has happened) to everyone that I know that went to a single pin slider...your last practice session will not be at the same range as your next hunting shot....and you miss. When hunting, it's too easy to forget to adjust the range on you pin. So, the argument of less to think about, and a more simple sighting solution are out the window. I have used a scope for competitive shooting, so it' not that I am unfamiliar with the process, it's just that your thought process is different in a hunting situation. I'm currently using six pins in a fixed round sight. My hunting shots are typically less than 25 yards, and seldom over thirty, the added pins (to 70 yards) are for practice only. I've been using this setup for years, and it has never occurred to me that my sight picture might be cluttered. There are some that use a single pin slider successfully, and that's great for them. You just have to ask yourself, "when that once in a lifetime shot presents itself, am I the guy that will always remember to adjust the pin"? I can tell you that it's not for me, I got lucky and just missed a pig a 17 yards.

Re: Sight Question [Re: Texan Medic] #7490318 04/18/19 12:34 AM
D
Drahthaar Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Each to their own , but I have been using a single pin slider for years ( HHA) . I have a really hard time focus when their are multiple pins. I set up for 20 yard and under shots, and dot take shots over 25 yards. Forrest

Re: Sight Question [Re: Texan Medic] #7494265 04/22/19 10:33 PM
C
Co-walkabout Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
I have had this same debate for years and found I was much more accurate for really long range with a single pin adjustable sight but for the bulk of hunting situations I wanted a fixed pin sight. I came across Option Archery in my research and they make a sight that is fixed pin and flips to a single pin adjustable if desired. I use the Option 8 sight and it is absolutely the best sight I have ever used and it has been very durable all over the mountains for my hunts and very precise for 3D and target shooting. I think Jim Burnworth with the TV show Western Extreme shoots the sight also. It's worth every penny in my opinion.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide