Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Wildest East Texas Experiences #7427066 02/07/19 03:27 PM
S
SenkoSamurai Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Moved here almost two years ago to the Dallas area, and started to hear about East Texas. I heard there are some places you definitely don't want to go hunt in. I also heard there's a different breed of people living out there in the boonies. I'm interesting to hear some of yall's wild stories out hunting in the East Texas country

Re: Wildest East Texas Experiences [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7427137 02/07/19 04:41 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Hunted in walker county for about 5 years.

Different type of people there for sure, compared to the rest of the state.

Hunting at the time was fair.

Nothing really wild ever happened. I did jump what I believe was a black bear walking back to the truck one evening.

Also saw my first otter there in a pond.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Wildest East Texas Experiences [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7427153 02/07/19 05:02 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Bigfoot. They run in packs out that way

Re: Wildest East Texas Experiences [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7427211 02/07/19 06:06 PM
J
jakebunch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
The wildest things I ever saw out there were sitting around a camp fire!

Re: Wildest East Texas Experiences [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7427220 02/07/19 06:14 PM
A
Aggieman775 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
There are some great people in east texas. Then there are also liars thieves and meth heads

Last edited by Aggieman775; 02/07/19 06:14 PM.

TSmith
Re: Wildest East Texas Experiences [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7427236 02/07/19 06:35 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Just got off a lease where land had sold this year north east of Clarksville. Had it for four years. Nothing weird other than a ton of rain and hogs. Other than loggers that stole a couple of gate cameras nothing else happened. Had 2 travel trailers, 2 atv's, tractor, 2 trailers and no issues.

Last edited by GLC; 02/07/19 08:15 PM.

Re: Wildest East Texas Experiences [Re: Aggieman775] #7427258 02/07/19 07:04 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Aggieman775
. . . . Then there are also liars thieves and meth heads

those are everywhere in every corner of every state.
they just get noticed more in east Texas

Re: Wildest East Texas Experiences [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7427297 02/07/19 07:56 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Might as well add "People in east Texas are different " to the list that includes HF vs. LF, .223 as a deer caliber, etc.

I've known some of the best people and some real scum "behind the Pine Curtain ". I'm talking about true Deep East Texas (San Augustine/Nacogdoches, etc.).

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Wildest East Texas Experiences [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7427362 02/07/19 09:18 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I had a few leases in East Texas in the 80's when it was all I could afford.

I actually walked up on poachers in my blind two different hunts in one season. I couldn't afford equipment they could steal, lol.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Wildest East Texas Experiences [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7427383 02/07/19 09:44 PM
S
SenkoSamurai Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
I had a few leases in East Texas in the 80's when it was all I could afford.

I actually walked up on poachers in my blind two different hunts in one season. I couldn't afford equipment they could steal, lol.

A blessing in disguise lol

Re: Wildest East Texas Experiences [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7427409 02/07/19 10:30 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
My wildest experience was to actually see a low fenced mature East Texas whitetail buck in the daylight, eating corn under a feeder. grin

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Wildest East Texas Experiences [Re: stxranchman] #7427430 02/07/19 10:51 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by stxranchman
My wildest experience was to actually see a low fenced mature East Texas whitetail buck in the daylight, eating corn under a feeder. grin

bs

Re: Wildest East Texas Experiences [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7427442 02/07/19 11:03 PM
OHanlon87 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I hunt near Caddo Lake and a few years back my son and I was coming out of the property and had an older couple pull up in a car and ask about Sasquatch. This was on a small muddy dirt road they really should’ve been on with a car. Said they were at a Sasquatch convention at Caddo State Park and we’re out driving back roads looking for signs. Wanted to know if I had seen or heard anything unusual . Couldn’t help but have some fun with them. My son was laughing and giggling in the passenger seat.

Re: Wildest East Texas Experiences [Re: titan2232] #7427468 02/07/19 11:38 PM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by titan2232

bs

X2

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: Wildest East Texas Experiences [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7427471 02/07/19 11:43 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
"hunted" East Texas a couple times in the 80's on the Girl Friends family place. Will just leave it at that. do not want to send myself to banned camp cheers

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Wildest East Texas Experiences [Re: stxranchman] #7427473 02/07/19 11:43 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H

Funny man.

Re: Wildest East Texas Experiences [Re: OHanlon87] #7427481 02/07/19 11:51 PM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Originally Posted by OHanlon87
I hunt near Caddo Lake and a few years back my son and I was coming out of the property and had an older couple pull up in a car and ask about Sasquatch. This was on a small muddy dirt road they really should’ve been on with a car. Said they were at a Sasquatch convention at Caddo State Park and we’re out driving back roads looking for signs. Wanted to know if I had seen or heard anything unusual . Couldn’t help but have some fun with them. My son was laughing and giggling in the passenger seat.

You are so right about the roads down there, that good old red clay gets slick after a rain. We used to hunt near Caddo Lake and there are a few good deer around there. I still hunt in Harrison county but over near Longview. So far all I have lost is feeder timers, batteries and solar panels. The place I owned just west of Marshall I constantly had to run people off of.

Re: Wildest East Texas Experiences [Re: Creekrunner] #7427483 02/07/19 11:54 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

I've known some of the best people and some real scum "behind the Pine Curtain ". I'm talking about true Deep East Texas (San Augustine/Nacogdoches, etc.).

Yes, that's where I am. Right in the thick of it.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Wildest East Texas Experiences [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7427493 02/08/19 12:01 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Our lease is pretty much on a straight line between Ft. Polk and Ft. Hood. For that reason, we often see Army helicopters flying between the two bases. Not sure why, but one Saturday a small group of Apaches flew right over our camp at treetop level. I think we felt the ground shake before we realized it was helicopters about to fly over us. Even when the Chinooks fly over at higher altitudes they create quite a racket in the otherwise quiet East Texas Piney Woods.

There was also a time when private land that borders the National Forest caught fire and threatened to spread into the Forest. It was something watching a helicopter on contract with the USFS picking up water from a nearby pond and dropping it on the fire. The fire never made it into the Forest. A USFS employee told me years later they have agreements with local landowners for access to water when needed to fight fires.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 02/08/19 12:10 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Wildest East Texas Experiences [Re: OHanlon87] #7427501 02/08/19 12:11 AM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted by OHanlon87

lol35 lol35

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Wildest East Texas Experiences [Re: Texas Dan] #7427506 02/08/19 12:15 AM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Our lease is pretty much on a straight line between Ft. Polk and Ft. Hood. For that reason, we often see Army helicopters flying between the two bases. Not sure why, but one Saturday a small group of Apaches flew right over our camp at treetop level. I think we felt the ground shake before we realized it was helicopters about to fly over us. Even when the Chinooks fly over at higher altitudes they create quite a racket in the otherwise quiet East Texas Piney Woods.

There was also a time when private land that borders the National Forest caught fire and threatened to spread into the Forest. It was something watching a helicopter on contract with the USFS picking up water from a nearby pond and dropping it on the fire. The fire never made it into the Forest. A USFS employee told me years later they have agreements with local landowners for access to water when needed to fight fires.

Texas owns all above ground water in Texas. Even my pond water is owned by the state. At least that is what I have read in many different places, and they do that so they can use the water to fight fires. They don't need permission from the landowner.

Re: Wildest East Texas Experiences [Re: helomech] #7427518 02/08/19 12:32 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by helomech

Texas owns all above ground water in Texas. Even my pond water is owned by the state. At least that is what I have read in many different places, and they do that so they can use the water to fight fires. They don't need permission from the landowner.

I was at a meeting during the middle of the Bearing Fire which at that very moment was devastating east TX and threatening our place and hundreds of others. There were heroes wearing themselves to the bone to get the fire under control. In the middle of progress/spread updates a (ahem) local gentleman stood up and asked the Task Force Commander if the state was going to pay him for the water they were taking out of his pond.

I honestly thought he was not going to make it out of that meeting alive....

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Wildest East Texas Experiences [Re: Creekrunner] #7427524 02/08/19 12:36 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Might as well add "People in east Texas are different " to the list that includes HF vs. LF, .223 as a deer caliber, etc.

Whoa...don’t be lumping us in with San Augustine Co...that’s The Louisiana buffer.

Re: Wildest East Texas Experiences [Re: helomech] #7427525 02/08/19 12:36 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Interesting. The next time I see the landowner I'll tell him what the USFS employee told me and see what he says.

Re: Wildest East Texas Experiences [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7427534 02/08/19 12:45 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie

I was at a meeting during the middle of the Bearing Fire which at that very moment was devastating east TX and threatening our place and hundreds of others. There were heroes wearing themselves to the bone to get the fire under control. In the middle of progress/spread updates a (ahem) local gentleman stood up and asked the Task Force Commander if the state was going to pay him for the water they were taking out of his pond.

I honestly thought he was not going to make it out of that meeting alive....

If that fire had jumped Hwy 287 and moved south, things would have gone to Hell in our neck of the woods.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide