Print Thread
Western States #7427154 02/07/19 05:02 PM
L
Leonardo Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Is there a website or resource that can point a newby in the right direction to get started? Where to apply, application dates, unit preferences, how to earn/buy preference points, ect…

Lots of scattered information out there but really hard to grasp. Honestly its intimidating.

Re: Western States [Re: Leonardo] #7427159 02/07/19 05:07 PM
C
CGB Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Gohunt.com is pretty good for what your looking for.

Re: Western States [Re: Leonardo] #7427288 02/07/19 07:49 PM
L
Leonardo Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Thanks. Looking through the website on Huntinfool.com too.

Re: Western States [Re: Leonardo] #7427324 02/07/19 08:36 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I've used Gohunt and Huntinfool, as well as Eastman's. Now, Gohunt is the only one who gets my money. Well worth it in my opinion.

Re: Western States [Re: Leonardo] #7427326 02/07/19 08:38 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Do you have a specific goal in mind? Where you can hunt OTC every year? Best units in 3-5 years? Dream units for a once in a lifetime hunt?

Re: Western States [Re: SherpaPhil] #7427333 02/07/19 08:46 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by SherpaPhil
I've used Gohunt and Huntinfool, as well as Eastman's. Now, Gohunt is the only one who gets my money. Well worth it in my opinion.

Yelp. Go hunt is pretty all inclusive.

The ability to call Epic is nice for clarifications or for a tie breaker

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Western States [Re: SherpaPhil] #7427337 02/07/19 08:52 PM
L
Leonardo Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Do you have a specific goal in mind? Where you can hunt OTC every year? Best units in 3-5 years? Dream units for a once in a lifetime hunt?

Basically all the above. I would love to take my first trip and get to learning. However my concern is spending $3500 on a DIY when I could pay an outfitter $5500, learn with a much higher success rate. In ten years I should be able to afford some dream hunts and would like to get an idea on units to earn points in ect…

There is just a lot of information to sort through and never having experienced it makes it difficult to evaluate. Primary interest would be Elk and Mule Deer.

Re: Western States [Re: Leonardo] #7427358 02/07/19 09:14 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Leonardo

Basically all the above. I would love to take my first trip and get to learning. However my concern is spending $3500 on a DIY when I could pay an outfitter $5500, learn with a much higher success rate. In ten years I should be able to afford some dream hunts and would like to get an idea on units to earn points in ect…

There is just a lot of information to sort through and never having experienced it makes it difficult to evaluate. Primary interest would be Elk and Mule Deer.

My view is kind of a combo, on the elite, high point accumulation tags use an outfitter. Hunting on your own will make you a better hunter, and will also make your guided hunts more productive.

Your Gear list guided vs unguided is pretty similar, actually.

You can find outfitted hunts much cheaper you can also go the lease route

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Western States [Re: Leonardo] #7427359 02/07/19 09:16 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Wyoming has some mule deer hunting and elk hunting for low PP . Some of our regions can be drawn with 1 PP for deer and general elk for 2-3 PP.
You need to start accumulating PP in states you might want to hunt.

Some great areas can take 10-15, up to 20 PP in Colorado and Wyoming, but you can also be hunting while you build PP for great areas in Wyoming. You can draw second choice tags that don't take PP or a great tag in the random part of the draw . We also have a leftover draw.
Colorado has OTC tags for elk.

You can find great mule deer bucks and bull elk on public land so no need to spend thousands on a guided hunt. The learning curve can be rough for elk but you would have the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

Cow tags are reduced price in Wyoming and a random draw . Lots of folks apply for cow tags in areas they might want to try a bull hunt, just to get to know the area.
Doe antelope tags are cheap and a blast to hunt. Combo some fishing or bird hunting and just have a vacation type hunt with little pressure to fill your tags.
Lots of ways to come up for a fun hunt without breaking the bank while you build PP for a trophy type hunt.

The app services mentioned are great, I do not use them but many do. Just remember lots of folks see that same info on areas that you will. Units, or areas, off the radar can be drawn easier and be great hunting too. I would lean away from Eastman's for info and go with one of the other services mentioned above. I know a some great areas Eastman's misrepresents.

Re: Western States [Re: Leonardo] #7427400 02/07/19 10:24 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
All great advice.

I would use WY as my “hunt every year/every other year place” because of the quality that can be found in their general areas/regions that you can draw tags in with some frequency. It takes some research but good general units are there. A few are excellent if you are willing to hunt bear country and/or get back in where others won’t go. MT also has some good OTC elk areas but, again, one has to be willing to get back in. They also have good deer units.

I am not a fan of CO OTC hunting. Many are (which is evident).

Study and apply for more premium draw units in other states. Maybe pick one or two super premium units in a state or two and apply for those (the issue there is that state is out for that species for a loooonnggg time unless you get lucky).

With a lot of research and a well-thought out application strategy you can be hunting good tags just about every year, very good/great tags many years, and a couple of OIL hunts way down the road.

Good luck and have fun!!

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Western States [Re: Leonardo] #7427403 02/07/19 10:27 PM
F
Fitzwho Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
I could just about write a novel about applications and am just entering my 4th year of applying. I wish I had started with a few states in college or at least after college and I'd be sitting on 10+ points for some animals in most states.

So far this year, you have only missed out on applying for a Wyoming Elk tag. You will be able to buy a point (~$52) from around June to October 31st, along with deer ($41) and antelope ($31) points if you don't apply for those tags at the end of May.

You have until February 12th to apply or buy points for AZ Elk and Pronghorn. AZ deer, sheep, etc applications are due June 11th.

Utah big game apps are due March 7 and you can buy points only until March 21st.

Montana applications are due March 15th, buy points from July through the end of September.

There is a lot to the whole application game.

I use Gohunt and Epic, most likely will not renew Epic though. They have good information and a beautifully put together magazine. I like their podcast as well, but its free to everybody.

Permian_Skullworks on Instagram
Re: Western States [Re: Leonardo] #7427802 02/08/19 12:23 PM
H
HankZudd Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Hunt Talk radio w/Randy Newberg (podcast) promotes GoHunt & Onyx maps to lead you in getting started right &
shorten out the learning curve for self guided hunts out west.

i've been listening to him for a few months now & will probably go for it in a year or two (elk & mule deer)

the best advice he gave recently is if you plan to apply for draw hunt areas every year (and are young enough
to see the fruits) get a lifetime hunting lic. (in the state your applying for) & build up preference points to increase
your chances; you can also "buy" PP

the other thing that's vital for a successful hunt is to be in good physical condition; lots of uphill hiking to get
to the best areas.

some draws take +10 years just to get close (sheep)

Last edited by HankZudd; 02/08/19 12:25 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide