Print Thread
Wyoming mule deer antelope hunt advice #7425857 02/06/19 05:39 AM
N
NMGW Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
N
I am looking to book a combo mule deer antelope hunt in Wyoming. Wondering if anyone on the forum has any suggestions. I could go fully guided or DIY trespass hunt. Thanks in advance....

New Mexico: Not Really New, Not Really Mexico
Re: Wyoming mule deer antelope hunt advice [Re: NMGW] #7425926 02/06/19 01:18 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
With all the moisture NM is getting are you sure you want to go east , wytex outfits a ranch in Wy. I’d pm her

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Wyoming mule deer antelope hunt advice [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7425944 02/06/19 01:35 PM
N
NMGW Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
With all the moisture NM is getting are you sure you want to go east , wytex outfits a ranch in Wy. I’d pm her

Good point BOBO but I can't draw a hunt in my own state. I have not drawn an antelope tag in 10 years, and only one deer tag in 7. I will pm wytex. Thanks

Re: Wyoming mule deer antelope hunt advice [Re: NMGW] #7426010 02/06/19 02:40 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by NMGW
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Good point BOBO but I can't draw a hunt in my own state. I have not drawn an antelope tag in 10 years, and only one deer tag in 7. I will pm wytex. Thanks

Ouch sounds like me trying to draw a certain NM elk tag. With the change up on the PH tags this year. I bet you can now pick up a LO tag pretty cheap. Plus side with the changes away from draw ranch specific there will be some great public land goats killed this year, if drawn

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Wyoming mule deer antelope hunt advice [Re: NMGW] #7426029 02/06/19 03:00 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
When I wanted to get a decent mule deer for the wall, I spend quite a bit of time looking around on where to go and decided on Eastern Montana out of Broadus. I hunted in November when the mule deer where in the rut, and they where everywhere. We saw at least three 4x4s every day with at least one shooter that I should have taken, or couldn't get close enough to for a shot. On the second day my hunting buddy shot a 5x5 plus nice eye guards that was kind of thin, and just under 30 inches. I shot my 28 inch 4x4 on the third day and saw bigger bucks afterwards. The hardest thing on that hunt was not pulling the trigger. But I also let one go that might have been bigger, but didn't realize it until I watched the video of him back at home. The outfitter got divorced and moved away a few years after the hunt.

One buddy went there the next year and had very similar results. I have no idea who to book with, what's available or if it's still thick with mule deer, but it would be my first place to look if I was wanting to go again. He shot a heavy 25 inch wide 4x4 plus eye guards.

There where also quite a few pronghorn all over the place, but we didn't have tags and never spent much time glassing them.

This is the one that I shot
[Linked Image]

Re: Wyoming mule deer antelope hunt advice [Re: NMGW] #7426083 02/06/19 03:38 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Replied to you NMGW.

Re: Wyoming mule deer antelope hunt advice [Re: EddieWalker] #7426341 02/06/19 06:59 PM
N
NMGW Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted by EddieWalker
When I wanted to get a decent mule deer for the wall, I spend quite a bit of time looking around on where to go and decided on Eastern Montana out of Broadus. I hunted in November when the mule deer where in the rut, and they where everywhere. We saw at least three 4x4s every day with at least one shooter that I should have taken, or couldn't get close enough to for a shot. On the second day my hunting buddy shot a 5x5 plus nice eye guards that was kind of thin, and just under 30 inches. I shot my 28 inch 4x4 on the third day and saw bigger bucks afterwards. The hardest thing on that hunt was not pulling the trigger. But I also let one go that might have been bigger, but didn't realize it until I watched the video of him back at home. The outfitter got divorced and moved away a few years after the hunt.

One buddy went there the next year and had very similar results. I have no idea who to book with, what's available or if it's still thick with mule deer, but it would be my first place to look if I was wanting to go again. He shot a heavy 25 inch wide 4x4 plus eye guards.

There where also quite a few pronghorn all over the place, but we didn't have tags and never spent much time glassing them.

This is the one that I shot
[Linked Image]

Nice buck Eddie, and thanks for the information. up

Re: Wyoming mule deer antelope hunt advice [Re: NMGW] #7426659 02/07/19 12:26 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Hunted antelope in Wyoming. you can DIY however a lot of the available public land is in blocks, unfenced, and you have to be able to distinguish between public and private. one side of the road may be public and one side may be private with no distinguishing markers

That said, it should not be a problem to kill a antelope at all.

We saw few mule deer but we were hunting on the prairie.

Last edited by txtrophy85; 02/07/19 12:31 AM.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Wyoming mule deer antelope hunt advice [Re: NMGW] #7427054 02/07/19 03:17 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
OnX for antelope hunting is a must. The USGS land status maps from the BLM are also very good maps for hunting.
Some areas are majority private with scattered blocks or sections of public land, some areas are vast stretches of public land with little private.

You need about 4-5 PP to get a really good area for access but even limited areas or difficult access areas can be ok.
Doe tags are very cheap and a great way to get up here and check out pronghorn hunting. You can get 2 in the first draw and 2 more in leftover draw. All are random so you can pick an area based on public land and antelope numbers.

Sept would be a great time to come up and harvest some doe then go fishing and/or bird hunting.
You can find a hunt close to a town for lodging or rough it out on the plains for free by camping.
Eastern side and NE are mainly private land , other parts of Wyoming have more public land than you can hunt in a lifetime.

Guided pronghorn hunts are getting expensive. No need for a guided hunt if you'll get some PP, more "book" antelope come off of public lands than private in Wyoming.

Some good region deer tags too in areas that are off the radar so to speak. Look for region that has deer seasons that go until Oct 31 for best chance at a big buck, some limited November hunting but not much for mule deer. Those Nov deer tags are hard to draw.
The region we manage a ranch in is not known for big bucks and is a CWD area, we took a 190+ NT this last fall. It can be drawn with 1 PP and is mostly private but can be hunted DIY for mule deer with good success on limited public lands the last week of Oct..
The bucks we harvested all tested negative for CWD in this region.

Re: Wyoming mule deer antelope hunt advice [Re: NMGW] #7427098 02/07/19 04:01 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
I just looked at the drawing odds for pronghorn, the special draw has some great areas that can be drawn with 2 PP. Great access and trophy potential. save your money on a guided or trespass fee and put it towards the special draw when you get a couple of PP.
Build up a couple of deer PP too and you'll be set for that combo hunt.

Re: Wyoming mule deer antelope hunt advice [Re: NMGW] #7427240 02/07/19 06:41 PM
D
Dakota79 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
If you're still looking for a place let me know. We have guided hunts on private land available with easy licenses to draw. Just a family ran operation in Wyoming.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide