Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Weird Question #7425352 02/05/19 06:15 PM
BrianCook_RanchSales Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Odd question- I have a brittany spaniel. Incredible hunting dog. My dad would like me to breed her to a friend of ours lab, also a great hunting dog. He wants one of the puppies. is there any market out there for this? Would anyone else be interested? And thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited by bow5; 02/05/19 06:15 PM.

Brian Cook
Farm & Ranch Real Estate Agent
Foster Farm & Ranch
Brian@FosterRanches.com
(210)860-9693
Gig 'Em
Re: Weird Question [Re: BrianCook_RanchSales] #7425367 02/05/19 06:27 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Weird. I'd pass if I were you.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Weird Question [Re: BrianCook_RanchSales] #7425446 02/05/19 07:41 PM
C
ChrisG Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
The best dog I have ever had was an accidental breeding of a female GSP when a lab broke into her kennel. That dog was free because a mutts a mutt.

Re: Weird Question [Re: BrianCook_RanchSales] #7425447 02/05/19 07:43 PM
T
tigger Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I love cross breeds but I would stay true to profession
Ie pointing dog to pointing dog or retrieving dog to retrieving dog
PASS

Tigger
If it isn't white it is not a birddog.

KC
Lying is lying. Don't bitch about one doing it and condone another. That's called hypocrisy.
Re: Weird Question [Re: bill oxner] #7425448 02/05/19 07:46 PM
B
Bass&More Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Weird. I'd pass if I were you.

^^^^^^^this peep
[Linked Image]

Re: Weird Question [Re: BrianCook_RanchSales] #7425491 02/05/19 09:13 PM
M
Mud Shark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
No chance I would jeopardize my female and get into a pregnancy because someone wanted a puppy.
I would only do it to produce good puppies that better the breed.
You're going to be hard pressed to make any money off of that breeding, and it's going to be a ton of work.
I'm sure the puppies would turn into great dogs, but I wouldn't consider doing it at all.

Mud Shark

Re: Weird Question [Re: BrianCook_RanchSales] #7425553 02/05/19 10:55 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
When you do a cross like that your litter will be very unpredictable. Some might turn out to be good or the entire litter could be duds.

I would not do it.

I can't see many wanting to pay much for them.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Weird Question [Re: BrianCook_RanchSales] #7425751 02/06/19 03:10 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
The world doesn’t need any more mutts. An intentional breeding like that makes no sense. It happens often enough on accident. If your going to breed dogs try to better the breed not just throw a pointing dog and retriever togtether to see what happens.

Re: Weird Question [Re: scalebuster] #7425781 02/06/19 03:27 AM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by scalebuster
The world doesn’t need any more mutts. An intentional breeding like that makes no sense. It happens often enough on accident. If your going to breed dogs try to better the breed not just throw a pointing dog and retriever togtether to see what happens.

This isn't really true. Adding genetics usually makes a dog better. It is the reason inbreeding is not a good idea. Same thing. I had a bunch of Daniff's. Cross between Great dane and English mastiff. All the puppies did great. There are plenty good reasons to cross breed. It is how EVERY breed today was made. All dogs are mutts, whether you believe that or not, it is true.

Re: Weird Question [Re: BrianCook_RanchSales] #7426240 02/06/19 05:29 PM
T
triggerbowtx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted by bow5
Odd question- I have a brittany spaniel. Incredible hunting dog. My dad would like me to breed her to a friend of ours lab, also a great hunting dog. He wants one of the puppies. is there any market out there for this? Would anyone else be interested? And thoughts are appreciated.

You're most likely not (definitely not?) going to get the perfect mix that your dad may think would happen by mixing these two dogs. Your Brittany is an incredible hunting dog because it is probably a well bred brittany. The lab is probably a well bred, or at least full bred, lab. If the perfect mix of two breeds was possible to create the perfect all-round hunting dog breeding a pointing breed to a retriever then people would have been doing this for years.

Re: Weird Question [Re: helomech] #7426291 02/06/19 06:14 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by helomech

This isn't really true. Adding genetics usually makes a dog better. It is the reason inbreeding is not a good idea. Same thing. I had a bunch of Daniff's. Cross between Great dane and English mastiff. All the puppies did great. There are plenty good reasons to cross breed. It is how EVERY breed today was made. All dogs are mutts, whether you believe that or not, it is true.

What did crossing a Great Dane and English mastiff make them better at? Also, what were these puppies so great at?

Re: Weird Question [Re: scalebuster] #7426334 02/06/19 06:50 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H

What did crossing a Great Dane and English mastiff make them better at? Also, what were these puppies so great at?

They where not as energetic as a great dane, but not as lazy as a mastiff. They overall health should also improve, Adding new genetics to something is almost always a good thing. It is the reason pure breeds always have some health issues where mutts are usually more healthy. Not an absolute, but in general it is true. You can name any "pure breed" and I can list you a bunch of genetic issues with those dogs. That isn't the case with crossbred dogs in general.

Just saying all dogs are mutts," pure breeds" have more issues. They have been interbred for centuries in some cases.

Last edited by helomech; 02/06/19 06:52 PM.
Re: Weird Question [Re: scalebuster] #7426337 02/06/19 06:54 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H

Here is one I gave my MIL..

[Linked Image]

Re: Weird Question [Re: BrianCook_RanchSales] #7426361 02/06/19 07:16 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Gun dog forum?

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Weird Question [Re: helomech] #7426363 02/06/19 07:19 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L

They where not as energetic as a great dane, but not as lazy as a mastiff. They overall health should also improve, Adding new genetics to something is almost always a good thing. It is the reason pure breeds always have some health issues where mutts are usually more healthy. Not an absolute, but in general it is true. You can name any "pure breed" and I can list you a bunch of genetic issues with those dogs. That isn't the case with crossbred dogs in general.

Just saying all dogs are mutts," pure breeds" have more issues. They have been interbred for centuries in some cases.

There can also be unintended consequences as well. Most pure bred dogs where the breeder took the initiative to better the breed do not have the problems you list. Or they can be avoided. Responsible breeding is more than putting two labs together or two great danes ect… I have several thousand dollars wrapped up in genetically testing my labs prior to breeding. This includes getting OFA approval on the hips, elbows, and eyes.

What you speak of happens when someone is more interested in making a few bucks, my buddy has a great dog and so does my sister, lets see what happens.

I have my third litter on the ground right now and the responsibility of taking care of each puppy plus the dam weighs heavy on me at all times. There is a great sense of responsibility in breeding, especially when I am the one who put them in the same pen together. Do you have the money to treat a litter that gets sick, are you willing to put forth the extra effort to make sure a sick puppy gets well or placed in a home that has the means to take care of the dog for its entire life?

A long story short there isn't a lot of room for profit if you are breeding for the right reason.

Re: Weird Question [Re: Leonardo] #7426370 02/06/19 07:27 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Leonardo
There can also be unintended consequences as well. Most pure bred dogs where the breeder took the initiative to better the breed do not have the problems you list. Or they can be avoided. Responsible breeding is more than putting two labs together or two great danes ect… I have several thousand dollars wrapped up in genetically testing my labs prior to breeding. This includes getting OFA approval on the hips, elbows, and eyes.

What you speak of happens when someone is more interested in making a few bucks, my buddy has a great dog and so does my sister, lets see what happens.

I have my third litter on the ground right now and the responsibility of taking care of each puppy plus the dam weighs heavy on me at all times. There is a great sense of responsibility in breeding, especially when I am the one who put them in the same pen together. Do you have the money to treat a litter that gets sick, are you willing to put forth the extra effort to make sure a sick puppy gets well or placed in a home that has the means to take care of the dog for its entire life?

A long story short there isn't a lot of room for profit if you are breeding for the right reason.

Labs have genetic issues also, all pure breeds do. I am sure you know this. The more pure the line the more likely the puppies will suffer from genetic issues. this is undisputable facts. Genetic diversity is almost always a good thing. There are no absolutes in breeding animals. Any improvements to a breed are done by experiments. You never know what you will get. Your "pure bred labs" where bred from other breeds. They where at one time mutts.

I have never profited off any litter we have had. I usually only breed my animals when I want a new critter.

Last edited by helomech; 02/06/19 07:27 PM.
Re: Weird Question [Re: BrianCook_RanchSales] #7426383 02/06/19 07:41 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
We are talking about working dogs that are bred for a specific purpose. Not what breed of mutt is best suited to sit on your mother in law’s porch.

Re: Weird Question [Re: scalebuster] #7426387 02/06/19 07:46 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
We are talking about working dogs that are bred for a specific purpose. Not what breed of mutt is best suited to sit on your mother in law’s porch.

Well articulated.

[Linked Image]

Re: Weird Question [Re: BrianCook_RanchSales] #7426446 02/06/19 08:58 PM
Y
YanceyTX_Hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Y
this thread is starting to remind me of the bull dog and shih tzu joke from Dumb and Dumber... grin

- YanceyTX_Hunter(s)
Re: Weird Question [Re: helomech] #7426524 02/06/19 10:17 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L

Labs have genetic issues also, all pure breeds do. I am sure you know this. The more pure the line the more likely the puppies will suffer from genetic issues. this is undisputable facts. Genetic diversity is almost always a good thing. There are no absolutes in breeding animals. Any improvements to a breed are done by experiments. You never know what you will get. Your "pure bred labs" where bred from other breeds. They where at one time mutts.

I have never profited off any litter we have had. I usually only breed my animals when I want a new critter.

You are missing the point. Yes there are genetic issues, no creature is immune from them. Point being you can breed tight and they are 100% avoidable if you spend the resources to check for them. 30 years ago the information wasn't readily available. Today it is. Those genetic issues you speak of can be eliminated in a short period of time with responsible breeding.

Re: Weird Question [Re: scalebuster] #7426584 02/06/19 11:18 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H

Hate to break this to you, but all dogs are mutts, including yours. Unless you have a wolf.

LMAO, I have seen some awesome mixed hunting dogs. I have seen some great genetic ones that where worthless. I used my dane/mastiff cross as livestock guardians if you must know, and for home protection. They where more laid back than great danes. but way more athletic than mastiffs.

Last edited by helomech; 02/06/19 11:23 PM.
Re: Weird Question [Re: Leonardo] #7426586 02/06/19 11:21 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H

You are missing the point. Yes there are genetic issues, no creature is immune from them. Point being you can breed tight and they are 100% avoidable if you spend the resources to check for them. 30 years ago the information wasn't readily available. Today it is. Those genetic issues you speak of can be eliminated in a short period of time with responsible breeding.

No I am not missing the point. Someone above asked why, I responded with a why. There are many different reasons. And I call bs about 100% avoidable. Not even close to 100%. Anytime you breed back to the same breed you are introducing the likelihood of that trait coming out. You can't breed it away.

Re: Weird Question [Re: helomech] #7426633 02/06/19 11:59 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

Hate to break this to you, but all dogs are mutts, including yours. Unless you have a wolf.

LMAO, I have seen some awesome mixed hunting dogs. I have seen some great genetic ones that where worthless. I used my dane/mastiff cross as livestock guardians if you must know, and for home protection. They where more laid back than great danes. but way more athletic than mastiffs.

There is a huge difference between a one off cross mutt and the purebred dogs we have today.

Breeds were developed by crossing but they bred, culled and had a purpose. They took decades to developed a breed to get consistent results.

Re: Weird Question [Re: BradyBuck] #7426636 02/07/19 12:06 AM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by BradyBuck

There is a huge difference between a one off cross mutt and the purebred dogs we have today.

Breeds were developed by crossing but they bred, culled and had a purpose. They took decades to developed a breed to get consistent results.

Relax man, I am not trying to bust on yall. For me, I don't need any crazy genetics. My favorite breed for my proposes is the Anatolian shepherd. I have had plenty with great genetics and one that was what you would call a mutt. Guess which one was the best dog I ever owned. The one you would call a mutt. Had to put her down last year. I never said the original poster should breed his dog, I was just giving examples of why people do it. I am not calling yall stupid or anything, just voicing my opinion. I am entitled to it right? I have been around so many different types of animals. We have in the past bred different dogs, and cats. We even bred African servals. So I know what I am talking about. If I wanted a good hunting dog I would buy a good breed. But for protection which is what I care about the dog can be almost anything. My FIL had a mix deer hound that was the most terrifying guard dog I ever met. My BIL had a full blooded mastiff that would not bite someone if they where beating on it. It has more to do with the individual dog and the person training it, than anything else.

Re: Weird Question [Re: helomech] #7426645 02/07/19 12:10 AM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by BradyBuck

Relax man, I am not trying to bust on yall. For me, I don't need any crazy genetics. My favorite breed for my proposes is the Anatolian shepherd. I have had plenty with great genetics and one that was what you would call a mutt. Guess which one was the best dog I ever owned. The one you would call a mutt. Had to put her down last year. I never said the original poster should breed his dog, I was just giving examples of why people do it. I am not calling yall stupid or anything, just voicing my opinion. I am entitled to it right? I have been around so many different types of animals. We have in the past bred different dogs, and cats. We even bred African servals. So I know what I am talking about. If I wanted a good hunting dog I would buy a good breed. But for protection which is what I care about the dog can be almost anything. My FIL had a mix deer hound that was the most terrifying guard dog I ever met. My BIL had a full blooded mastiff that would not bite someone if they where beating on it. It has more to do with the individual dog and the person training it, than anything else.

Well this is a gun dog forum and anyone wanting a good gun dog has a better chance at getting what they want by buying a purebred dog that was bred for that purpose.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 02/07/19 12:11 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide