Print Thread
Dang BEAVER #7424258 02/04/19 02:57 PM
H
huntindude Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
H
So a dang beaver has dammed up an over flow from a little pond. I've cleared it 3 times in the last month, but Im not out there all the time and his little knawing azz is. With all the rain we have had the pond has been over flowing for the last 3 months. Its usually stable this time of year. Cant get back to the back feeders, unless I want to cross a lake. What trap do you trappers use? And any helpful tips would be appreciated. And is it legal? Are they good dinner?
Thanks

Re: Dang BEAVER [Re: huntindude] #7424279 02/04/19 03:05 PM
W
Wytex Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
If you don'tr have a trap try messing with his dam, once the water level starts dropping he'll go looking for the leaking spot. shoot him. I would manipulate the dam sometime in afternoon then wait for him to appear to fix it just before dark.
Tannerite also works well for blowing up dams.
You can set leghold traps on his slide in area or underwater conibears.

Re: Dang BEAVER [Re: huntindude] #7424291 02/04/19 03:17 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Here is an example of what Wytex is talking about. Depending on the size of the pool created, you may want to go in earlier in the day if it is a really large pool, or break out a much larger hole. The quicker the water goes down, the quicker the beaver will take notice and want to repair it. In my case, the beaver are crepuscular/nocturnal, meaning they don't come up until evening, operate through the night, and in to the early morning. So I like to catch them in the evening. In this case, I am using thermal, and the beaver is shown being active after dark. It may have been active before that. They often are when you break open the dam. I didn't arrive back on this hunt until after dark.

As far as legalities go, you can kill beaver that are causing a problem on your property. You just need a hunting license. If you plan to sell the pelt, you need another license.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 02/04/19 03:20 PM.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Dang BEAVER [Re: huntindude] #7424300 02/04/19 03:27 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Legal to shoot, trap, etc. Go out with a spotlight and shoot it. They will swim around at night and are easy to spot until the figure out you are trying to kill them.

Re: Dang BEAVER [Re: krmitchell] #7424323 02/04/19 03:47 PM
O
Old Rabbit Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Originally Posted by krmitchell
Legal to shoot, trap, etc. Go out with a spotlight and shoot it. They will swim around at night and are easy to spot until the figure out you are trying to kill them.

Where I used to live we had beaver problems, I would wade to where I had a good view of the hut in the dark and stay still till I heard them swimming. Then on came the head lamp and #4's took care of the problem. I would also set up on a high spot and shoot them on the bank early and late in the day. I never had any luck with traps but that is just me. Good luck they are tireless workers.

Re: Dang BEAVER [Re: huntindude] #7424347 02/04/19 04:18 PM
T
Top Jimmy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Find someone that knows how to trap them. It will save you a ton of headache. Once they are educated on being shot at or trapped, they can be a huge pain to get rid of. And there might be more than just the one.

-TJ

Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.
Re: Dang BEAVER [Re: huntindude] #7424373 02/04/19 04:50 PM
S
Single Shot Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
S
Maybe someone on this list could help.

www.ttfha.com/nuisancecontrolcontacts.html

Re: Dang BEAVER [Re: huntindude] #7424414 02/04/19 05:57 PM
W
Wytex Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
Is the lodge on the pond? If so you have whole family living there a few to take care of.

Re: Dang BEAVER [Re: huntindude] #7424472 02/04/19 07:00 PM
H
huntindude Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
H
I can't tell if there is a lodge or not. Just a dam dam. I would love to have a lake on the property, but not the spot he/she is building. I am going to try the sit and wait approach. I am really great at that.

Re: Dang BEAVER [Re: huntindude] #7424474 02/04/19 07:03 PM
H
huntindude Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
H
Thanks for all the great info guys. Pretty much no different than hunting deer. My main feeder in being blocked by all this water. Plus we have 100% chance of rain thursday.
If I do wait, for the summer, the area will dry out with no more running water. That should help right?

Re: Dang BEAVER [Re: huntindude] #7424483 02/04/19 07:12 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
They can do alot of damage between now and the summer. Like cause the damn of the tank to break......take down alot of trees.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Dang BEAVER [Re: huntindude] #7424505 02/04/19 07:43 PM
W
Wytex Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
The dams can be very hard to break up , good luck on the sit. Get that water going down somehow and he will show up for the fix.
You may find a spot other than the dam to get water level to lower. They will know right where they need to fix.

Looking forward to pics. Our spring beavers have the best fur so he may be a nice one. Our long time trapper used to only target them in March and April up here for best fur, unless they were causing problems.
Take your fishing rod with a treble hook for retrieval of the dead animal.

Re: Dang BEAVER [Re: huntindude] #7424512 02/04/19 07:55 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Here is what has worked for me:
Wait for a clear full moon night. Break the dam mid day. Lay for him with a 12 guage and #4 buck shot in the moon light.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Dang BEAVER [Re: huntindude] #7424532 02/04/19 08:14 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
"Dang Beaver"....words I have uttered (or a variation of) over many years of my life bang

Good luck, I know they aren't the easiest critter to kill and they will flat tear up a tank/dam.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Dang BEAVER [Re: huntindude] #7424545 02/04/19 08:26 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
I killed a beaver with a pitch fork. Mag light in the left hand, pitch fork in the right, and threw it across a creek for a center mass hit = Dead beaver. I came home from college to my parents house. They have a creek running behind their house and they had a big beaver problem. The dang beaver had cut down about 4 or 5 trees in their back area that I mowed around for years. I was pissed. My dad wouldn't let me shoot the 22 in an urban setting, so I resorted to medieval methods on him. I heard him out there on the creek and grabbed the light and pitch fork. I tied a rope around the T handle of the pitch fork so I could pull it back. I got him on my second throw. My dad didn't believe me that I got him that night, but he called me the next morning to tell me the beaver was floating in the creek. Yippe Kai Yay...

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Dang BEAVER [Re: Top Jimmy] #7424554 02/04/19 08:36 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy
Find someone that knows how to trap them. It will save you a ton of headache. Once they are educated on being shot at or trapped, they can be a huge pain to get rid of. And there might be more than just the one.

-TJ

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ this ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

beavers and nutria will undercut the bank and generally eff things up.
get a handle on it quick

Re: Dang BEAVER [Re: ChadTRG42] #7424558 02/04/19 08:38 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
I killed a beaver with a pitch fork. Mag light in the left hand, pitch fork in the right, and threw it across a creek for a center mass hit = Dead beaver. I came home from college to my parents house. They have a creek running behind their house and they had a big beaver problem. The dang beaver had cut down about 4 or 5 trees in their back area that I mowed around for years. I was pissed. My dad wouldn't let me shoot the 22 in an urban setting, so I resorted to medieval methods on him. I heard him out there on the creek and grabbed the light and pitch fork. I tied a rope around the T handle of the pitch fork so I could pull it back. I got him on my second throw. My dad didn't believe me that I got him that night, but he called me the next morning to tell me the beaver was floating in the creek. Yippe Kai Yay...

roflmao Nothing like stabbing beaver....

Re: Dang BEAVER [Re: skinnerback] #7424585 02/04/19 09:14 PM
MikeC Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by skinnerback

How did I know that it was just a matter of time?

www.connerknives.net

In every old body lives a young person wondering what the hell happened!

[Linked Image]
Re: Dang BEAVER [Re: MikeC] #7424601 02/04/19 09:31 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by MikeC
Originally Posted by skinnerback

How did I know that it was just a matter of time?

Around here I'm surprised it took that long...... rofl

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Dang BEAVER [Re: huntindude] #7424970 02/05/19 04:06 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
AR-15 + spotlight =

[Linked Image]

It isn’t that hard until they realize what happens when the spotlight comes on. Then you have to be quick. Killed many a beaver this way.

Last edited by krmitchell; 02/05/19 04:07 AM.
Re: Dang BEAVER [Re: huntindude] #7425006 02/05/19 05:17 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
My buddy has a government trapper coming to his property near Ardmore OK on Wed. They have taken down several of his trees at his pond.

Re: Dang BEAVER [Re: Single Shot] #7426687 02/07/19 12:48 AM
T
TEXASTRAPPER Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted by Single Shot
Maybe someone on this list could help.

www.ttfha.com/nuisancecontrolcontacts.html

I’m on this list and don’t mind lending a hand. Shoot me a PM if you’re interested.

Re: Dang BEAVER [Re: huntindude] #7426718 02/07/19 01:33 AM
R
Rglover Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
[Linked Image]

I bought some of this today. I was going to light a couple and chunk it in their den (Mid Day) & see how it works. I am covered up with those destructive little suckers on all 3 ponds.
Just wondering if any of you guys had ever tried these before.

Re: Dang BEAVER [Re: Rglover] #7426850 02/07/19 04:38 AM
T
Top Jimmy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by Rglover
[Linked Image]

I bought some of this today. I was going to light a couple and chunk it in their den (Mid Day) & see how it works. I am covered up with those destructive little suckers on all 3 ponds.
Just wondering if any of you guys had ever tried these before.

Won't work. They will just exit the den through the water. Rodents in the ground don't have that option.

Find a trapper and ask them to help. If you know what you are doing and they haven't been messed with someone who doesn't, they are pretty easy to catch.

-TJ

Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide