Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: MOA/MIL question [Re: Bullfrog] #7421989 02/01/19 09:52 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
FiremanJG "Said it, wrote it till I'm blue in the face; both are equally good at elevation correction. Mil shines for wind correction. So easy, I show a shooter his Mil holds all the way down the range one time, then call his wind speed, and ask what he's supposed to hold. We go from there. Three digits to manage with MOA, one digit to manage with Mil."

So, what we need is a scope with MOA elevation and MIL windage? wink

Sorry, couldn't resist

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: MOA/MIL question [Re: Bullfrog] #7422004 02/01/19 10:10 PM
R
Rock Rancher Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
What the heck is TAF?

Re: MOA/MIL question [Re: Rock Rancher] #7422016 02/01/19 10:24 PM
S
Struggle Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted by Rock Rancher
What the heck is TAF?

Very Tactical

Re: MOA/MIL question [Re: Struggle] #7422019 02/01/19 10:26 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Struggle
What the heck is TAF?

Very Tactical

LOL!! Very politically correct!

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: MOA/MIL question [Re: Struggle] #7422028 02/01/19 10:40 PM
R
Rock Rancher Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Originally Posted by Struggle

Very Tactical

Got it. Thanks!

Re: MOA/MIL question [Re: Rock Rancher] #7422035 02/01/19 10:52 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
What the heck is TAF?

40 years ago 'Tactical as all get-out!'

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: MOA/MIL question [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #7422045 02/01/19 11:04 PM
R
Rock Rancher Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

That's more in line with my old school redneck vernacular, but I get that AF is more in line with the parlance of our current time. I guess I need to try to be more hip and start using it. Not sure TAF is a compliment I want to strive to attain although I do have some level of respect for JG for attaining the moniker.

Re: MOA/MIL question [Re: Rock Rancher] #7422082 02/01/19 11:40 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

That's more in line with my old school redneck vernacular, but I get that AF is more in line with the parlance of our current time. I guess I need to try to be more hip and start using it. Not sure TAF is a compliment I want to strive to attain although I do have some level of respect for JG for attaining the moniker.

Judd said that to me to poke me in the ribs, because I don't go by that. We pick on Kyle that he is.

But, hey, if being very familiar and comfortable with a Mil reticle gets me that, whatever.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: MOA/MIL question [Re: Bullfrog] #7422124 02/02/19 12:28 AM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
FiremanJG "Said it

then its got to be the only way peep

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: MOA/MIL question [Re: Buzzsaw] #7422537 02/02/19 02:20 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
FiremanJG "Said it

What are we, two years now and you still haven't built a .223? Even after asking and getting the same good answers five times. At least I make a decision and run with it.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: MOA/MIL question [Re: J.G.] #7422616 02/02/19 03:56 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
FiremanJG "Said it

What are we, two years now and you still haven't built a .223? Even after asking and getting the same good answers five times. At least I make a decision and run with it.

I'm workin on it

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: MOA/MIL question [Re: Buzzsaw] #7426871 02/07/19 05:38 AM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Frrom FiremanG:

Clicks don't matter with a labeled turret, ever. If I'm going a thousand yards with my 7 Rem Mag today, I am not going to count audible clicks for 73 clicks. I am going to dial to 7.3 and be done with it.

Yep
And when you learn to “just thinking in inches” when going to mil..

It really so stupidly easy, repeatable and consistent.

Re: MOA/MIL question [Re: J.G.] #7426877 02/07/19 06:11 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Judd
What do you do if you have a MIL scope and you shoot at an extremely large deer and your buddy says....oh crap, you shot 18" left of him? smile I could give examples like this all day long.

That is why on a hunting gun it needs to be an MOA unless folks speak MIL in your circles. Example, if you hunted with JG and you shoot at a prairie dog he's gonna tell you that you were 1.3 MIL left and you're going to have to do the conversion back to MOA.

I have both and understand how to make the adjustment above but it's extra math you have to do in your head converting. I'm not going to profess one is better than the other because they both work...but you need to think about all scenarios when making your decision and determine which is best for your needs.

I'll agree that MIL is metric though....it's via tenths...just like centimeters, millimeters, etc. roflmao

18" left is his GUESS. How do we know it isn't 16" or 22"?

Inches has no bearing in calling the miss and correction EVER. I've had mostly Mil shooters I spot for. But, about 10% to 20% of the year, I'll have an MOA scope I have to spot for. I see the correction needed in Mil, convert it in my head to MOA, and tell the shooter in MOA, since that is what he sees in his reticle. The times I'm spotting for someone with a duplex reticle, I use target size to tell them the wind hold. '"Left edge, half a target with beyond the edge", ect.

Said it, wrote it till I'm blue in the face; both are equally good at elevation correction. Mil shines for wind correction. So easy, I show a shooter his Mil holds all the way down the range one time, then call his wind speed, and ask what he's supposed to hold. We go from there. Three digits to manage with MOA, one digit to manage with Mil.

Are tenths, hundredths, thousandths of an inch metric?

Yeah... I’ve never had a single impact called in MOA or Mil or anything other than inches or feet.

And this one I really don’t understand: if the shooter is shooting at a plate at 400 yards and misses left by 12”, how is it any less of a guess if the spotter calls 3 MOA or “aww bout a foot” or whatever a 12” gap at 400 yards is in mils?

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: MOA/MIL question [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7426934 02/07/19 01:02 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy
What do you do if you have a MIL scope and you shoot at an extremely large deer and your buddy says....oh crap, you shot 18" left of him? smile I could give examples like this all day long.

That is why on a hunting gun it needs to be an MOA unless folks speak MIL in your circles. Example, if you hunted with JG and you shoot at a prairie dog he's gonna tell you that you were 1.3 MIL left and you're going to have to do the conversion back to MOA.

I have both and understand how to make the adjustment above but it's extra math you have to do in your head converting. I'm not going to profess one is better than the other because they both work...but you need to think about all scenarios when making your decision and determine which is best for your needs.

I'll agree that MIL is metric though....it's via tenths...just like centimeters, millimeters, etc. roflmao

18" left is his GUESS. How do we know it isn't 16" or 22"?

Inches has no bearing in calling the miss and correction EVER. I've had mostly Mil shooters I spot for. But, about 10% to 20% of the year, I'll have an MOA scope I have to spot for. I see the correction needed in Mil, convert it in my head to MOA, and tell the shooter in MOA, since that is what he sees in his reticle. The times I'm spotting for someone with a duplex reticle, I use target size to tell them the wind hold. '"Left edge, half a target with beyond the edge", ect.

Said it, wrote it till I'm blue in the face; both are equally good at elevation correction. Mil shines for wind correction. So easy, I show a shooter his Mil holds all the way down the range one time, then call his wind speed, and ask what he's supposed to hold. We go from there. Three digits to manage with MOA, one digit to manage with Mil.

Are tenths, hundredths, thousandths of an inch metric?

Yeah... I’ve never had a single impact called in MOA or Mil or anything other than inches or feet.

And this one I really don’t understand: if the shooter is shooting at a plate at 400 yards and misses left by 12”, how is it any less of a guess if the spotter calls 3 MOA or “aww bout a foot” or whatever a 12” gap at 400 yards is in mils?

No one can call a miss in inches or feet, and be absolutely correct, they are merely guessing. Just like the guy that thinks he killed a deer at a guessed 500 yards, and it was really 250.

With a Mil or MOA reticle, there is no guess, the correction called is exactly correct, no guess whatsoever. Yesterday a 21 year old that had never ever used a Mil scope, ended the day hitting a 4" plate at 800 yards. When he would miss, I would say "next shot hold point 5 Mil, right". I saw where the bullet splashed, with the Mil reticle in my spotting scope, told him the correction, and he made the proper correction with the Mil reticle in his rifle scope. There is not a reticle in the world that can tell us how many inches he was off at 800 yards. Mil and MOA are angular, not linear.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: MOA/MIL question [Re: J.G.] #7426945 02/07/19 01:22 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

[/quote]

No one can call a miss in inches or feet, and be absolutely correct, they are merely guessing. Just like the guy that thinks he killed a deer at a guessed 500 yards, and it was really 250.

With a Mil or MOA reticle, there is no guess, the correction called is exactly correct, no guess whatsoever. Yesterday a 21 year old that had never ever used a Mil scope, ended the day hitting a 4" plate at 800 yards. When he would miss, I would say "next shot hold point 5 Mil, right". I saw where the bullet splashed, with the Mil reticle in my spotting scope, told him the correction, and he made the proper correction with the Mil reticle in his rifle scope. There is not a reticle in the world that can tell us how many inches he was off at 800 yards. Mil and MOA are angular, not linear.[/quote]

This makes much more sense. We have never had that since we’re dumb 3 gunners.

Re: MOA/MIL question [Re: Bullfrog] #7426995 02/07/19 02:15 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
TC, where do you shoot 3g?
I have been out of if for a few years, going to do some matches this year around Austin, Marble Falls, Burnett.

I have never shot past 500 on a 3 gun course with most of it being less than that. 3g is the only time I use a BDC type reticle with capped windage and elevation. I don't think people should be helping the shooter in competition with calls on misses.. you should be able to spot your own impacts in the scope and using the reticle call and make your own corrections.

Re: MOA/MIL question [Re: Bullfrog] #7426998 02/07/19 02:17 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Problem is, I've never seen a spotting scope in the field that has a MIL/MOA reticle. Unless the spotter has one, calling correction in MIL/MOA is a wild guess too.

Re: MOA/MIL question [Re: ccoker] #7427061 02/07/19 03:23 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by ccoker
TC, where do you shoot 3g?
I have been out of if for a few years, going to do some matches this year around Austin, Marble Falls, Burnett.

I have never shot past 500 on a 3 gun course with most of it being less than that. 3g is the only time I use a BDC type reticle with capped windage and elevation. I don't think people should be helping the shooter in competition with calls on misses.. you should be able to spot your own impacts in the scope and using the reticle call and make your own corrections.

Abilene, cresson.

Sometimes I would agree with the no spotting. But if coaching is allowed (it always was at Rocky Mountain and at NTMG) I’ll take it. Sometimes impacts are hard to see with a 6x scope, bouncing rifle, and heavy breathing.

Re: MOA/MIL question [Re: Jgraider] #7427100 02/07/19 04:02 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Jgraider
Problem is, I've never seen a spotting scope in the field that has a MIL/MOA reticle. Unless the spotter has one, calling correction in MIL/MOA is a wild guess too.

Vortex Razor spotting scope.
Swarovski
Bushnell
Leupold MK 4 spotter

^^All can be had with a reticle in the spotter.

I have the Gen1 Razor, fixed 30X with Mil reticle. Works like a champ.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: MOA/MIL question [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7427101 02/07/19 04:03 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy

With a Mil or MOA reticle, there is no guess, the correction called is exactly correct, no guess whatsoever. Yesterday a 21 year old that had never ever used a Mil scope, ended the day hitting a 4" plate at 800 yards. When he would miss, I would say "next shot hold point 5 Mil, right". I saw where the bullet splashed, with the Mil reticle in my spotting scope, told him the correction, and he made the proper correction with the Mil reticle in his rifle scope. There is not a reticle in the world that can tell us how many inches he was off at 800 yards. Mil and MOA are angular, not linear.[/quote]

This makes much more sense. We have never had that since we’re dumb 3 gunners. [/quote]

Three gun is not dumb, it's just a different discipline. I couldn't just show up and hang with yall, with the AR I have.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: MOA/MIL question [Re: Jgraider] #7427134 02/07/19 04:40 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Jgraider

Sorry, but that's not 100% correct. Most of the time I'm a range officer, I have a spotting scope with a MIL reticle in it. It is VERY common on the range. As an RO, or even more so as a shooter, when you miss, you simply place your reticle over the spot you missed, use reticle to measure the EXACT amount you missed off target by, make your correction and re-send the round. I do this in about 2 seconds time for a quick follow up shot before the wind makes a change. Also, if you know the exact target size you are shooting at, and can see the miss, you can calculate exactly how far off target you are. If it's 3 gun, you kind of do the same thing, only you hold the opposite direction of the miss until you get your hit.

Once you learn how to properly use a reticle (either moa or mil), you will not use inches as a call.

Below is the reticle I prefer to use, the Nightforce MLR. It's the easiest reticle (for me) to quickly make corrections and use the reticle as a ruler when shooting.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: MOA/MIL question [Re: Bullfrog] #7427142 02/07/19 04:48 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Nightforce Mil-C
Razor spotting scope Mil

Both have hashes every .2 Mil, so you can adjust, and call to the .1 Mil

Trying to hit, or spot for a 4" plate at 800 yards, you have to be precise to the .1 Mil, or it will be a miss. The entire target is only .17 Mil wide, and tall, or 1/2 MOA.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: MOA/MIL question [Re: J.G.] #7427178 02/07/19 05:29 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Nightforce Mil-C
Razor spotting scope Mil

Trying to hit, or spot for a 4" plate at 800 yards, you have to be precise to the .1 Mil, or it will be a miss. The entire target is only .17 Mil wide, and tall, or 1/2 MOA.

Or right at 4"....I got ya roflmao

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: MOA/MIL question [Re: Judd] #7427184 02/07/19 05:34 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Nightforce Mil-C
Razor spotting scope Mil

Please show me the scope and reticle that speaks in inches. Is it inches at 100 yards? At 447 yards? At 1029 yards? Where does it make inches? Donkey!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: MOA/MIL question [Re: J.G.] #7427193 02/07/19 05:44 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Nightforce Mil-C
Razor spotting scope Mil

Please show me the scope and reticle that speaks in inches. Is it inches at 100 yards? At 447 yards? At 1029 yards? Where does it make inches? Donkey!

All of mine say “1/4” at 100 yards” bolt

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide