Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Wonder who took that shot [Re: Freeman] #7419349 01/30/19 07:23 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I say muzzy looks like fixed blades, Still attached, regardless non fatal, will heal. No different then a tine.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Wonder who took that shot [Re: Freeman] #7419362 01/30/19 07:33 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
[Linked Image]

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Wonder who took that shot [Re: Freeman] #7419437 01/30/19 08:41 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
The Trocar tip on a Muzzy is exactly why I thought it looked like the tip. Hard to say, for sure, but it’s just hard to believe that the broadhead didn’t penetrate any further than that and also didn’t fall out.

Re: Wonder who took that shot [Re: Freeman] #7419446 01/30/19 08:48 PM
D
Dink Dodger Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
Looks like the tip of the broadhead to me. Looks like a scar between the shoulders where the entry healed

Re: Wonder who took that shot [Re: Sneaky] #7419451 01/30/19 08:54 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Sneaky
The Trocar tip on a Muzzy is exactly why I thought it looked like the tip. Hard to say, for sure, but it’s just hard to believe that the broadhead didn’t penetrate any further than that and also didn’t fall out.

I agree, looks like the tip of a broadhead sticking out to me too.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Wonder who took that shot [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7419551 01/30/19 10:22 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Old Stony
That is one reason I don't bow hunt. I have one broadhead sitting in my shop that came from the ribcage area of a doe. Your chance of a clean kill is substantially less with a bow, than with a reasonable caliber rifle.

That’s an arrow placed above the vitals. You know what happens when you accidentally shot a deer via a 30-06 right above the spine.... it gets up and runs off...

True story.

I think a deer hit where this one was with a 30-06 wouldn’t be getting up and running off anywhere. True story.

Re: Wonder who took that shot [Re: scalebuster] #7419566 01/30/19 10:32 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by scalebuster
That is one reason I don't bow hunt. I have one broadhead sitting in my shop that came from the ribcage area of a doe. Your chance of a clean kill is substantially less with a bow, than with a reasonable caliber rifle.

That’s an arrow placed above the vitals. You know what happens when you accidentally shot a deer via a 30-06 right above the spine.... it gets up and runs off...

True story.

I think a deer hit where this one was with a 30-06 wouldn’t be getting up and running off anywhere. True story.

If below the spine maybe not, but above the spine absolutely it will run off. If that broadhead didn’t touch the spine then a bullet isn’t going to severe it either. No vitals

I’ve seen 4 hit in the same spot. Leaves nasty scare, nothing else. True story

Re: Wonder who took that shot [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7419813 01/31/19 01:22 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

True story.

If below the spine maybe not, but above the spine absolutely it will run off. If that broadhead didn’t touch the spine then a bullet isn’t going to severe it either. No vitals

I’ve seen 4 hit in the same spot. Leaves nasty scare, nothing else. True story

Nothing about that shot looks like it is above the spine. At less than 50 yards the shock from an 06 would flip that deer over and you’ve never seen a deer hit that deep, that close, walk away from a 223 or anything else. The shock from center fire rifle will break that deer down.True story.

Re: Wonder who took that shot [Re: Choctaw] #7419877 01/31/19 02:17 AM
E
ETXRaider Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
E
Originally Posted by Choctaw
[Linked Image]

Lol

Re: Wonder who took that shot [Re: scalebuster] #7419879 01/31/19 02:18 AM
E
ETXRaider Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
E

True story.

I've seen one hit there with a 308 get up and run off. He got killed 5 years later

Re: Wonder who took that shot [Re: stxranchman] #7419977 01/31/19 04:45 AM
I
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
Originally Posted by stxranchman
2 blade 100 grain Swhacker.
[Linked Image]

That was my immediate thought. It looks just like the ones I shoot.

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Haha yea I polished that thing for hours.
Re: Wonder who took that shot [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7420065 01/31/19 11:18 AM
D
decook Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D

True story.

BOBO, I have personally witnessed this too. Incredible that the deer went down on the spot, and I told my daughter to reload. We watched it for nearly 5 minutes through the rifle scope and a spotting scope. It even did what looked like a death wobble.

We looked back at the feeder and the deer was gone. Then I saw what was a really nice deer calmly walking away and thought it looked familiar. And then I saw the white patch just above the spine as it walked into the trees and gone forever.

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: Wonder who took that shot [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7420493 01/31/19 06:08 PM
F
Freeman Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
F
That photo helps a lot! I thought it looked like the tip of a broadhead and that there might be an entry wound on the height of the shoulder, but couldn't clearly identify what was protruding.

Re: Wonder who took that shot [Re: ETXRaider] #7420661 01/31/19 08:29 PM
R
rob valle Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ETXRaider

True story.

I've seen one hit there with a 308 get up and run off. He got killed 5 years later

Was that a True Story?

Rob Valle
www.hillcotaxidermy.com
Originally Posted by Texsun
The three things you need in life are a good doctor, lawyer and taxidermist.

Re: Wonder who took that shot [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7420670 01/31/19 08:39 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
Originally Posted by stxranchman
2 blade 100 grain Swhacker.
[Linked Image]

That was my immediate thought. It looks just like the ones I shoot.

Considering the shot placement directly above the vitals....what do you think the chances are that it was a well placed shot that the buck ducked the string? I don't bow hunt but have seen videos posted on here showing deer ducking a shot.

That would be logical for the current arrow placement...

Jes curious....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Wonder who took that shot [Re: decook] #7421092 02/01/19 02:34 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by decook

True story.

BOBO, I have personally witnessed this too. Incredible that the deer went down on the spot, and I told my daughter to reload. We watched it for nearly 5 minutes through the rifle scope and a spotting scope. It even did what looked like a death wobble.

We looked back at the feeder and the deer was gone. Then I saw what was a really nice deer calmly walking away and thought it looked familiar. And then I saw the white patch just above the spine as it walked into the trees and gone forever.

It’s a heart breaker for sure, exact same thing happened to me with Springfield 30-06 when I was younger, that shoulder bone isn’t near as big as it appears either. Since seen it happen three other times, by other shooters.

It’s a bad deal for sure, but good news is usually not fatal.

Re: Wonder who took that shot [Re: scalebuster] #7421103 02/01/19 02:46 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
[

Nothing about that shot looks like it is above the spine. At less than 50 yards the shock from an 06 would flip that deer over and you’ve never seen a deer hit that deep, that close, walk away from a 223 or anything else. The shock from center fire rifle will break that deer down.True story.

We could debate this for days but the spine runs lower then you think and the shoulder blade bone is smaller then you think. For a high shoulder shot with a rifle you would be shooting 4” below that protruding broadhead IMO.

I can also tell you a 30-06 won’t flip a buck over at 50 years either 99 % of the time.
He may drop from hitting the spine and roll over but not flip sideways off his feet. Infact I’ve hit them with a 338 at 50 yards before. Same thing either run off from lung hit,drop from severed spine, or plow from severed shoulders and hole in vitals. I had a few rear up and fall over backwards with a 257 wby at 38 yards, and a creedmoor at 300

Regardless that arrow is neither in the vitals or spine, and most likely the buck just ducked the arrow at the shot. No ones fault, it happens.

It will live

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 02/01/19 03:09 AM.

Re: Wonder who took that shot [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7421127 02/01/19 03:05 AM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
[

We could debate this for days but the spine runs lower then you think and the shoulder blade bone is smaller then you think. For a high shoulder shot with a rifle you would be shooting 4” below that protruding broadhead IMO.

I can also tell you a 30-06 won’t flip a buck over at 50 years either 99.9 % of the time.
He may drop from hitting the spine and roll over but not flip sideways. Infact I’ve hit them with a 338 at 50 yards before. Same thing either run off from lung hit,drop from severed spine, or plow from severed shoulders and home in vitals. well I had a rear up and fall over backwards with a 257 wby at 38 yards, and a creedmoor at 300

Regardless that arrow is neither in the vitals or spine, and most likely the buck just ducked the arrow at the shot. No ones fault, it happens

It will live

I have a video of my son shooting a deer at hwyman's place with a .243 at 200 yards and that deer literally flew off it's feet. Never seen anything like it, but id does happen. There is some language in the video and my internet is slow, but I can upload it when I get to work next week if no ones believes me. I think I showed hwyman the video when he came to check on us.

Not saying this is the norm by any means, but I have seen it happen once.

Last edited by helomech; 02/01/19 03:06 AM.
Re: Wonder who took that shot [Re: helomech] #7421144 02/01/19 03:17 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by helomech
[

I can also tell you a 30-06 won’t flip a buck over at 50 years either 99.9 % of the time.
He may drop from hitting the spine and roll over but not flip sideways. Infact I’ve hit them with a 338 at 50 yards before. Same thing either run off from lung hit,drop from severed spine, or plow from severed shoulders and home in vitals. well I had a rear up and fall over backwards with a 257 wby at 38 yards, and a creedmoor at 300

Regardless that arrow is neither in the vitals or spine, and most likely the buck just ducked the arrow at the shot. No ones fault, it happens

It will live

I have a video of my son shooting a deer at hwyman's place with a .243 at 200 yards and that deer literally flew off it's feet. Never seen anything like it, but id does happen. There is some language in the video and my internet is slow, but I can upload it when I get to work next week if no ones believes me. I think I showed hwyman the video when he came to check on us.

Did he hit it in the spine? I drop the vast majority of my deer with a rifle, either high shoulder or quartering too shoulder crease which is spine. Had a few hit the ground and roll but never flip. Not saying it can’t happen but the amount of energy it takes and How it would be needed to be displaced in a much wider swath just doesn’t articulate well with a bullet less then a 1/2” that’s most likely going to blow through

Re: Wonder who took that shot [Re: scalebuster] #7421188 02/01/19 03:55 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior

True story.

True story, I got a call to bring out the dog for a big buck to find it for them. The Dog got out of the truck and stuck his nose in the air and ran past the stand and balled out and the race was onto the next property. When the dog got back I put him on the blood and a quarter mile + half circle trail with very little blood lead to a cedar tree about 100 yards behind the stand from where the deer was shot. There was a small amount of blood there and where the dog had run to the deer from winding him from about 250 yards straight line. The deer when leaving the property ahead of the dog cleared the fence with over a 20 feet jump. I told him he hit high with his 30-06 and the deer would be seen again, he said no that deer would die. 2 weeks later I got a call from same hunter and a text with a picture of the deer. The bullet exited about where this broadhead is sticking out.

Looks like a Muzzy broadhead with some arrow shaft still in the deer and complete head sticking out. Tough as deer this one will most likely make it and if that little white spot is the entry wound I would suspect a poor choice of a somewhat quartering toward the archer when the shot was taken.

I agree with Flintknapper about the effectiveness of archery on deer as a hunting tool but just like with a rifle the shot has to be placed in the right spot. A hit to this deer with a rifle would have resulted in it still walking around IMO.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Wonder who took that shot [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7421194 02/01/19 04:03 AM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by helomech
[

It will live

Did he hit it in the spine? I drop the vast majority of my deer with a rifle, either high shoulder or quartering too shoulder crease which is spine. Had a few hit the ground and roll but never flip. Not saying it can’t happen but the amount of energy it takes and How it would be needed to be displaced in a much wider swath just doesn’t articulate well with a bullet less then a 1/2” that’s most likely going to blow through

No, here is a pic. The pic took me about 10 minutes to upload, so the video would take me a week. I can try when I get to work next week, got good internet there. This is the exit hole. I have not seen it happen since, don't know why it happened. But both my boys, my wife and me saw it happen.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by helomech; 02/01/19 04:06 AM.
Re: Wonder who took that shot [Re: Freeman] #7421201 02/01/19 04:20 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
yelp no spine.

Ya the whole upload stuff is weird now, some days really quick others days not so quick

Re: Wonder who took that shot [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7421358 02/01/19 01:46 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
yelp no spine.

Ya the whole upload stuff is weird now, some days really quick others days not so quick

My internet just sucks bad. I use Imagebb for my pics. It takes forever to even watch a video here. My only other option is satellite internet, and I heard way to many complaints about that.

Re: Wonder who took that shot [Re: Freeman] #7421596 02/01/19 04:22 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Looks to me like the deer was probably quartering a little to the hunter, and he likely lined up the shot somewhere around #2. The deer ducked the string. What happens when the deer ducks? His shoulders go up, spine goes down, you get a non-lethal hit along line #1. Had you hit a deer in the same spot as #1 with a .30-06, you might have knocked him down/out, but it would not be a lethal hit. To have such poor penetration I'm assuming it was either a long shot or a light-weight bow. Could also be that the hunter yanked the shot high, too. In either case this deer should be just fine

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Wonder who took that shot [Re: Freeman] #7422108 02/02/19 12:12 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
It’s pointless to discuss what would or wouldn’t happen had it been a rifle instead of a bow because there’s no way to know without it the shot actually having been made with the rifle. You can’t speak in absolutes one way or another when it comes to predicting what is going to happen when a game animal is shot.

It’s also pointless to compare rifle vs. bow lethality because they are two entirely separate weapons that kill by two entirely separate means. Both are extremely effective when properly used, both will wound game when mistakes are made.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide