Print Thread
Odd topic- Leasing a personal range #7416609 01/28/19 02:22 AM
H
HuntersAnonymous41 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
Hope everyone’s new year has been off too a strong start so far. Cut me some slack on this post but due to curiosity, the lack of good ranges and/or BLM land here in the state of Texas or located close by, I’ve recently wondered about this and wanted to see if anyone had any knowledge on the subject. I’ve been lucky to grow up in the south and other states where I had access to some good friendly ranges and/or BLM land to go out to and target shoot whenever we needed. Recently moved to the Austin area (that’s a whole another battle in itself) and have been to some decent ranges, but found nothing where I could target practice as needed or just felt plain safe. So, has anyone ever heard about leasing land soely to use for target shooting? I know there are probably a number of risk factors for a land owner and you never know how stupid people can be when making safe decisions, but has anyone ever come across something like this before? I’ve sighted in firearms on leases, even participated in an NRA member shooting event on one, but have never heard of anything soely for just target practice..... I did some research on my own and found a few quick things in other states but nothing in Texas. Not something I am looking to do necessarily , but just curious about. Thanks for any replies

*BLLM* Black Labs Lives Matter. Point&Shoot. Conserve&Protect. Hunt&Gather
Re: Odd topic- Leasing a personal range [Re: HuntersAnonymous41] #7416830 01/28/19 02:22 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I would think you would run into an issue with neighbors before anything else. People who live in rural areas tend to enjoy the seclusion it offers them. Not sure they would welcome the sound of a lot of shooting nearby, not to mention the concerns that ranchers often have with it.

I don't target shoot at my lease out of respect for all landowners and ranchers in the area.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Odd topic- Leasing a personal range [Re: HuntersAnonymous41] #7416931 01/28/19 03:54 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I personally would not lease my land for that purpose mainly because of liability reasons.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Odd topic- Leasing a personal range [Re: snake oil] #7416967 01/28/19 04:36 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by snake oil
I personally would not lease my land for that purpose mainly because of liability reasons.

Is there more liability involved with leasing to an individual for the purpose of target shooting than for hunting?

Seems to me target shooting would potentially be more contained and safer.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Odd topic- Leasing a personal range [Re: redchevy] #7416980 01/28/19 04:50 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by redchevy

Is there more liability involved with leasing to an individual for the purpose of target shooting than for hunting?

I wouldnt think a leased gun range is protected under the Agritourism Act but it maybe because it is vague

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Odd topic- Leasing a personal range [Re: redchevy] #7416987 01/28/19 04:54 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by redchevy

I wouldn't think that is the case. Possibly hundreds of rounds fired per trip, versus a few for hunting? I know when I go to our range, unless I'm specifically shooting one gun that needs to be chrono'd, grouped, sighted in, I take two 9mm, a .22 pistol, .22 rifle, and sometimes an AR. I can burn through a 1000 rounds in a couple of hours shooting all those.

Our family took 15 deer this year, total shots fired (including coyotes, a couple of misses, etc) was less than 20.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Odd topic- Leasing a personal range [Re: HuntersAnonymous41] #7416988 01/28/19 04:56 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Interesting thought.

Would target practice on a hunting lease be protected? Never thought about it much. Im still working on getting my inlaws to let me put up a 0-400 yard range on their home place.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Odd topic- Leasing a personal range [Re: HuntersAnonymous41] #7417041 01/28/19 05:34 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
The 2nd place I got on to hunt this year is for night hog hunting, but also has a 300 yard range with yardages marked and a number of reactionary and steel targets already in place. I'm just as excited about year round access to the range as I am the hunting. As for the neighbor, our range is along a property line. The neighbor has a range parallel to ours on the other side of the fence. My hunting partner that invited me on it and the only other person hunting there is a shooting instructor, so unlike your typical hunting lease that would restrict target shooting when hunting, that is not the case here. The range is as much of the purpose of this place as hunting if not more so.

Re: Odd topic- Leasing a personal range [Re: Sniper John] #7417064 01/28/19 05:49 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Sniper John
As for the neighbor, our range is along a property line. The neighbor has a range parallel to ours on the other side of the fence.
That's a great idea if the logistics works out for both sides.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Odd topic- Leasing a personal range [Re: Sniper John] #7417076 01/28/19 05:55 PM
H
HuntersAnonymous41 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
The 2nd place I got on to hunt this year is for night hog hunting, but also has a 300 yard range with yardages marked and a number of reactionary and steel targets already in place. I'm just as excited about year round access to the range as I am the hunting. As for the neighbor, our range is along a property line. The neighbor has a range parallel to ours on the other side of the fence.

I used to be on something similar until I had to move for work. Land Owner had around 5k acres and we had the okay from the neighbors to practice anytime we pleased. Sounds like an awesome opportunity.

Thanks for the info y'all. Keep it coming if you have any other advice, opinion, or knowledge.

*BLLM* Black Labs Lives Matter. Point&Shoot. Conserve&Protect. Hunt&Gather
Re: Odd topic- Leasing a personal range [Re: Sniper John] #7417079 01/28/19 05:56 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
The 2nd place I got on to hunt this year is for night hog hunting, but also has a 300 yard range with yardages marked and a number of reactionary and steel targets already in place. I'm just as excited about year round access to the range as I am the hunting. As for the neighbor, our range is along a property line. The neighbor has a range parallel to ours on the other side of the fence. My hunting partner that invited me on it and the only other person hunting there is a shooting instructor, so unlike your typical hunting lease that would restrict target shooting when hunting, that is not the case here. The range is as much of the purpose of this place as hunting if not more so.

Our ranch is much the same. When purchased it was so the family could enjoy being outside. We have multiple ranges set up on the interior of our place and have many great family memories around guns and shooting. Our neighbors don't hunt and the nearest house is at least five miles away. It doesn't bother the deer or the hogs much either.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide