Print Thread
Throckmorton? #7414415 01/25/19 04:19 AM
H
Hartca Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
H
Headed to look at a place in Throckmorton in the morning. I’ve hunted in graham and it was hit or miss. Anyone hunt in this county? Specifically North. Thanks

Re: Throckmorton? [Re: Hartca] #7414460 01/25/19 05:53 AM
B
Brother Phil Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
What is the name of the Ranch? There is one NE of town, that I would not do business with.

Re: Throckmorton? [Re: Hartca] #7414470 01/25/19 07:20 AM
C
CGB Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
I hunted about 8-10 miles north of Throckmorton around 8 years ago. It was good. There are some big ranches up that way. The one I hunted was over 13k acres.

Re: Throckmorton? [Re: Hartca] #7414480 01/25/19 11:51 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Deer density drops rapidly the further west you go. More acreage per hunter is needed in the Throckmorton area, it sadly I always see several leases that have too many hunters it there. There’s a lot of hunter turn over out thataway.

Re: Throckmorton? [Re: Hartca] #7414599 01/25/19 02:26 PM
JDP Ranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Around 2008 I had a lease in Throckmorton right on Millers Creek Reservoir. Pretty good hunting - healthy amount of deer and some decent sized bucks. Tons of hogs/coyotes/ducks. Decent dove. Had quail too but part of the lease agreement stated I couldn't hunt them.

Re: Throckmorton? [Re: Hartca] #7414763 01/25/19 04:50 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Great genetics if bucks make it to maturity. Terrain can vary from post oak forest to bull mesquite with live oak as well. Of course this has the most effect on how the hunting will be. We took some nice bucks on a 1000 acre place we leased for 4 years near Woodson.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Throckmorton? [Re: Hartca] #7414821 01/25/19 05:32 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Hard to give more than a general answer, like almost all counties there are areas with good deer habitat that have a good population of good deer, there are also areas where you'll be lucky to see a handful of deer per year.

In the eastern part of the county what you'll run into often is leases offered with too few acres per hunter, or in good areas a good bit of pressure from surrounding properties.
That isn't to say finding a good place is rare or the county is so so hunting, NW part of the county near Millers Creek and NE where the Brazos goes through the county can be very good. Depending on acreage per hunter.

Re: Throckmorton? [Re: Hartca] #7414839 01/25/19 06:03 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I hunted on a place off 183 on the East side of the road about 4-5 miles North of Throckmorton. It was the absolute worst deer lease I had ever been on. I saw ONLY one doe and fawn all season, and they were bolting through my area. It was over hunted and way too many hunters on the place. Our neighboring properties had stands near our fence line and also were over hunted. I had always heard great things about the Throckmorton area, and I couldn't get away from that area fast enough. I'm sure it's good hunting in other areas, but this lease and surrounding leases were horrible. That wide open area type of hunting where you can see your buddies deer stand 600-800 yards away is not for me.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Throckmorton? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7414853 01/25/19 06:23 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
I hunted on a place off 183 on the East side of the road about 4-5 miles North of Throckmorton. It was the absolute worst deer lease I had ever been on. I saw ONLY one doe and fawn all season, and they were bolting through my area. It was over hunted and way too many hunters on the place. Our neighboring properties had stands near our fence line and also were over hunted. I had always heard great things about the Throckmorton area, and I couldn't get away from that area fast enough. I'm sure it's good hunting in other areas, but this lease and surrounding leases were horrible. That wide open area type of hunting where you can see your buddies deer stand 600-800 yards away is not for me.

Growing up in Throckmorton it was definitely very good hunting. Then every wannabe outfitter discovered it and now it is what it is.

Not all of Throckmorton is wide open. I've never made a shot over 150 yards and I killed my first deer there in 1975.

Re: Throckmorton? [Re: Choctaw] #7415062 01/25/19 09:09 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Curious as to what you guys think the acres per hunter should be in that part of the state. I hunt 20 miles due west of Throckmorton and we have 350 acres per hunter on the lease. In reality on any given weekend, given the max number of guys out there, it comes out to about 600 acres per hunter.

Re: Throckmorton? [Re: Hartca] #7415146 01/25/19 10:54 PM
H
Hartca Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
H
Looks great. Not many open spots and some very thick spots. I could put 6 guns on 2000 acres for 5k a gun. Lots of quail/dove/duck tons of pigs and saw quite a few deer. Has water and electric tons of water on the place and surrounded by big ranches. A lot of money though.

Re: Throckmorton? [Re: Hartca] #7415192 01/26/19 12:04 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Hartca
Looks great. Not many open spots and some very thick spots. I could put 6 guns on 2000 acres for 5k a gun. Lots of quail/dove/duck tons of pigs and saw quite a few deer. Has water and electric tons of water on the place and surrounded by big ranches. A lot of money though.

$15 an acre for 2000 acres within 3 hours of metromess is not too bad. Is 6 guns the max you are allowed or could you put a 7th and drive your per gun to more like $4250?

Re: Throckmorton? [Re: Hartca] #7415196 01/26/19 12:15 AM
H
Hartca Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
H
Could probably do 7. I’m headed to turkey tx to check out another place in the morning.

Re: Throckmorton? [Re: Hartca] #7415602 01/26/19 03:27 PM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
7 hunters would be too many in that area if everyone is shooting bucks which they will feel compelled to do for that much money.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Throckmorton? [Re: Gringo Bling] #7415641 01/26/19 04:16 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
Curious as to what you guys think the acres per hunter should be in that part of the state. I hunt 20 miles due west of Throckmorton and we have 350 acres per hunter on the lease. In reality on any given weekend, given the max number of guys out there, it comes out to about 600 acres per hunter.

Sounds like the place I'm on. What's the name of the ranch? You can PM if you want.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Throckmorton? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7415722 01/26/19 06:59 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
7 hunters would be too many in that area if everyone is shooting bucks which they will feel compelled to do for that much money.

2 mature bucks, no doubt. 1 mature, maybe not

Re: Throckmorton? [Re: DQ Kid] #7415909 01/27/19 12:24 AM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by DQ Kid

One buck county and 7 mature bucks killed on 2000 acres will not sustain that many every year in that area. Our lease was very similar to what he described and it would only provide 2 a year on 1000 acres consistently for 4 years.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Throckmorton? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7415991 01/27/19 02:41 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

One buck county and 7 mature bucks killed on 2000 acres will not sustain that many every year in that area. Our lease was very similar to what he described and it would only provide 2 a year on 1000 acres consistently for 4 years.

Pitch, Throckmorton is a two buck, non-AR county, just looked it up on TPWD by county but as I said, probably not sustainable for 7 to shoot more than 7 mature per season, possibly a spike or cull here or there too. Ultimately depends on deer density and proper game management but I certainly don't promulgate whether someone can take one mature buck a season or not off 2000 acres surrounded by multi large ranches without knowing the densities and surrounding hunting pressure as well.

Re: Throckmorton? [Re: Hartca] #7416044 01/27/19 04:22 AM
C
CGB Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Throckmorton is not a 5k per gun county. I’d pass on that one.

Re: Throckmorton? [Re: DQ Kid] #7416846 01/28/19 02:40 PM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P

Pitch, Throckmorton is a two buck, non-AR county, just looked it up on TPWD by county but as I said, probably not sustainable for 7 to shoot more than 7 mature per season, possibly a spike or cull here or there too. Ultimately depends on deer density and proper game management but I certainly don't promulgate whether someone can take one mature buck a season or not off 2000 acres surrounded by multi large ranches without knowing the densities and surrounding hunting pressure as well.

Lol, I will stand by my opinion. I see I am incorrect on the one buck county.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Throckmorton? [Re: Hartca] #7416944 01/28/19 04:04 PM
D
DeCurry Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I have family/friends that have hunted in Throckmorton for around 20 years; I started 7 or 8 years ago. I don't consider the deer hunting to be very good, but it is an affordable lease, we have year-round access, and there are a lot of coyotes and hogs to keep the hunting experience from being a total bust. Occasionally, we have some amazing years for dove hunting as well (though the last two years were really bad), and while there are quail on the property, the landowner doesn't like us hunting them.

We're in the eastern part of the county, kind of SE of Throckmorton. My understanding is that the hunting here used to be extremely good. In my time, the smaller pieces of property surrounding ours have been leased out continuously, I feel the area is over hunted. We don't see a lot of mature deer. We've befriended various hunters around us and most of them tell similar stories, so it's not just our property. We have a friend who got on a lease closer to Woodson, and he's had a lot more luck (his lease is technically only a few miles from ours as the crow flies). So, as already noted in the thread, it does depend on exactly where you are, there still seem to be some pockets of good hunting available.

Re: Throckmorton? [Re: DeCurry] #7423972 02/04/19 03:26 AM
R
Ringer1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by DeCurry
I have family/friends that have hunted in Throckmorton for around 20 years; I started 7 or 8 years ago. I don't consider the deer hunting to be very good, but it is an affordable lease, we have year-round access, and there are a lot of coyotes and hogs to keep the hunting experience from being a total bust. Occasionally, we have some amazing years for dove hunting as well (though the last two years were really bad), and while there are quail on the property, the landowner doesn't like us hunting them.

We're in the eastern part of the county, kind of SE of Throckmorton. My understanding is that the hunting here used to be extremely good. In my time, the smaller pieces of property surrounding ours have been leased out continuously, I feel the area is over hunted. We don't see a lot of mature deer. We've befriended various hunters around us and most of them tell similar stories, so it's not just our property. We have a friend who got on a lease closer to Woodson, and he's had a lot more luck (his lease is technically only a few miles from ours as the crow flies). So, as already noted in the thread, it does depend on exactly where you are, there still seem to be some pockets of good hunting available.

We’ve hunted in SE Throckmorton County Since 2001. The deer hunting was better the first 4 or 5 years. Since then we have more and more hunters around us.

We have 720 acres with five hunters and only harvested two bucks this year. One mature 10 point and the other was a kids first buck (cull). Three of the hunters get to hunt on vendors ranches that they do business with so that’s where they get their deer meat. Our rules are one mature buck and no does. We are allowed to shoot culls as well. We are covered up with hogs so we do get shoot quite often.

Re: Throckmorton? [Re: Ringer1] #7424079 02/04/19 07:43 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Ringer1

We’ve hunted in SE Throckmorton County Since 2001. The deer hunting was better the first 4 or 5 years. Since then we have more and more hunters around us.

We have 720 acres with five hunters and only harvested two bucks this year. One mature 10 point and the other was a kids first buck (cull). Three of the hunters get to hunt on vendors ranches that they do business with so that’s where they get their deer meat. Our rules are one mature buck and no does. We are allowed to shoot culls as well. We are covered up with hogs so we do get shoot quite often.

What happens to all the does? Curious....

Re: Throckmorton? [Re: Txduckman] #7430293 02/11/19 12:33 AM
R
Ringer1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Txduckman
Originally Posted by Ringer1

What happens to all the does? Curious....

I can only imagine they are shot by the neighbors. It's very rare we see does. Ninety nine percent of the deer we see are bucks that are 2.5 years old or less. We all agree that we can only control what happens on our side of the fence.

Re: Throckmorton? [Re: Hartca] #7430326 02/11/19 12:54 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
The drought back in ‘06-‘15 hit the area hard. I was told that 1 of those years we lost 60% of the fawn crop.

There is a lot of hunting pressure also.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide