Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Game Warden Stories #7414536 01/25/19 01:32 PM
I
Isom's_Duck_Dawgs Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
I
Anyone have any good stories while out hunting and getting checked by the Game Warden? I heard a story when I was up in Arkansas this past week.

The guide we were hunting with had a group of about 8 guys. They were hunting specks, the guide said they had 5 mins till sundown, and had a big group coming in. Time they decoyed in there was about 1 min of shooting left and everyone unloaded their guns. After it was all over every man had their limit. The guide said boys that was enough to get the game wardens attention, sure enough he was at the trucks waiting. He checked a few guys, there were two guys from GA that took their birds and guns to the warden. He took one gun slid 3 shells in told the guy to stand to the side got the other guys gun slid 3 shells into it. He put both guns in his truck along with the birds told those 2 guys they needed to follow him. He told the rest of the group don't wait on for these two for dinner they're gonna be a little late. The rest of the group goes to the lodge, and eats. about 4 hrs later the 2 guys show up no guns no birds. Said they followed the warden to the office and while en route the warden called the Federal Game Warden and he met them there at the office as well. They said the 2 guys really weren't up to talking when they got back to the lodge.

Taylor Isom
817-933-2153 Cell

Re: Game Warden Stories [Re: Isom's_Duck_Dawgs] #7414555 01/25/19 01:59 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I had a game warden in Mississippi try to get me to shoot from a public road. Happened back in the early 80's on Christmas Eve the same year that I had left and moved to Texas after getting married and graduating from college. I was alone and in street clothes at the time shooting a .22 in the same area where my dad and I had gone to shoot many times when I was a kid. I'm not exaggerating when I say this guy looked like he walked straight out of the movie "Deliverance". Being alone, I really got concerned when I knew he had seen my Texas plates and kept trying to get me to show him how well I could shoot when we were both standing in the (dirt) road near where my truck was parked. I thought if I showed him the license that I had purchased earlier that year when I was a resident of Mississippi that he would back off. He ended up telling me to follow him to the JP's office who just happened to be there on Christmas Eve. I received a citation for being a resident of Texas and having a Mississippi hunting license. Cost me a little over $100. I considered that getting off easy. I mean, we're talking about a place where LEO's have been know for shooting guys and burying them in a dam. Those events actually happened about 50 miles away from where this event happened. It was only sometime later that I realized how trumped up the charge really was. When you move away from a state, there's nothing illegal in carrying an old hunting license that you purchased when you were a resident. The only charge that would have legally stuck would have been hunting without a license, which I obviously wasn't doing given that I was in street clothes, was not in the woods, and had taken no wild game.

Even today, there are still places in the Deep South where you really have to be careful and do you best not to be out alone, no matter your race.

I have some other stories I could share about being stopped on I-20 that I could share but don't want to take the time. Let's just say that even today when you travel through Mississippi with Texas plates, the local LEO's enjoy staying focused on who might have drug cash hidden somewhere.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 01/25/19 02:06 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Game Warden Stories [Re: Isom's_Duck_Dawgs] #7414559 01/25/19 02:04 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by wild_deer_hunter
Anyone have any good stories while out hunting and getting checked by the Game Warden? I heard a story when I was up in Arkansas this past week.

The guide we were hunting with had a group of about 8 guys. They were hunting specks, the guide said they had 5 mins till sundown, and had a big group coming in. Time they decoyed in there was about 1 min of shooting left and everyone unloaded their guns. After it was all over every man had their limit. The guide said boys that was enough to get the game wardens attention, sure enough he was at the trucks waiting. He checked a few guys, there were two guys from GA that took their birds and guns to the warden. He took one gun slid 3 shells in told the guy to stand to the side got the other guys gun slid 3 shells into it. He put both guns in his truck along with the birds told those 2 guys they needed to follow him. He told the rest of the group don't wait on for these two for dinner they're gonna be a little late. The rest of the group goes to the lodge, and eats. about 4 hrs later the 2 guys show up no guns no birds. Said they followed the warden to the office and while en route the warden called the Federal Game Warden and he met them there at the office as well. They said the 2 guys really weren't up to talking when they got back to the lodge.

Ignorance. The guide should have warned them about plugging their guns. You send them to school, buy them books and they chew the covers off.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Game Warden Stories [Re: Isom's_Duck_Dawgs] #7414573 01/25/19 02:14 PM
D
Dry Fire Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
That's why I only shoot O/U's.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Game Warden Stories [Re: Isom's_Duck_Dawgs] #7414635 01/25/19 03:04 PM
JDP Ranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I had a Game Warden pull me over about 10 years ago at around 9pm on St. Paddys Day. I was with several buddies on a country road in the middle of no where. He claimed he saw us spot lighting (even though we didn't have a spot light on us...).

It was a very weird experience. He was very adamant about seeing us spot lighting. I told him he was welcome to search the vehicle - I had no spotlights and nothing to hide. Fortunately, we had left EVERYTHING back at camp so he didn't have much to look through.

After searching, he seemed a big aggravated when nothing came up. He then started getting on our case about smelling alcohol. To his credit, the waitress had spilled a beer on my buddy. Fortunately, I had exactly 16oz of beer almost 2 hours earlier and my buddies had 24oz. I would've had 24oz but that last beer was spilled all over my buddy. The bar we went to was serving green beer in 8oz cups. It was packed and nearly impossible to get a beer. Probably a blessing in disguise.

He then asked to see our firearms. He had already searched the truck so I felt at this point he was looking for anything to write a ticket for. He got a little angry when I reminded him he had already searched the truck and he should know there weren't any firearms. I'm not the type to disrespect LE, but it was getting ridiculous at that point. He didn't "appreciate my tone."

He then went back to his truck and came back after what seemed like eternity. Gave us a lecture about drinking/driving, said he would catch us if we were spotlighting, and then said we were done.

I've only had pleasant encounters with Game Wardens except for this guy. Not sure what his problem was that night.

Re: Game Warden Stories [Re: Texas Dan] #7414643 01/25/19 03:13 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
I had a game warden in Mississippi try to get me to shoot from a public road. Happened back in the early 80's on Christmas Eve the same year that I had left and moved to Texas after getting married and graduating from college. I was alone and in street clothes at the time shooting a .22 in the same area where my dad and I had gone to shoot many times when I was a kid. I'm not exaggerating when I say this guy looked like he walked straight out of the movie "Deliverance". Being alone, I really got concerned when I knew he had seen my Texas plates and kept trying to get me to show him how well I could shoot when we were both standing in the (dirt) road near where my truck was parked. I thought if I showed him the license that I had purchased earlier that year when I was a resident of Mississippi that he would back off. He ended up telling me to follow him to the JP's office who just happened to be there on Christmas Eve. I received a citation for being a resident of Texas and having a Mississippi hunting license. Cost me a little over $100. I considered that getting off easy. I mean, we're talking about a place where LEO's have been know for shooting guys and burying them in a dam. Those events actually happened about 50 miles away from where this event happened. It was only sometime later that I realized how trumped up the charge really was. When you move away from a state, there's nothing illegal in carrying an old hunting license that you purchased when you were a resident. The only charge that would have legally stuck would have been hunting without a license, which I obviously wasn't doing given that I was in street clothes, was not in the woods, and had taken no wild game.

Even today, there are still places in the Deep South where you really have to be careful and do you best not to be out alone, no matter your race.

I have some other stories I could share about being stopped on I-20 that I could share but don't want to take the time. Let's just say that even today when you travel through Mississippi with Texas plates, the local LEO's enjoy staying focused on who might have drug cash hidden somewhere.

Scary ghost stories, Dan. I've managed to survive multiple trips through LA, MS, AL and GA without even getting pulled over much less murdered by renegade police and buried in a dam. roflmao

Re: Game Warden Stories [Re: Isom's_Duck_Dawgs] #7414694 01/25/19 03:56 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
My Dad told a story that him and my Grandfather (my moms stepdad) were driving around by Bracketville shooting rabbits on the side of the road (they had several in back of truck). GW pulled them over, made them both get out , searched them and told them to wait at back of truck, he searched the truck cab and came back and said, wheres the gun? Dad said it's in the front seat, gw looks again and comes back and said you tossed it didn't you? Dad said no, it's in the front seat. So he lets him show him. It was in a small tool box sitting on the front seat (single shot .22 pistol I still have). Dad handed it to him, GW looked at it, shakes his head & tossed it back onto the seat, said y'all don't let me catch you back out here shooting from the road and took off.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Game Warden Stories [Re: Isom's_Duck_Dawgs] #7414740 01/25/19 04:29 PM
K
KingHunter17 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
I was fishing below a dam for sandbass one time a few years ago. I had my limit and was fishing to cull smaller fish. No one around me was doing any good and was getting annoyed at me for catching all the fish. All the sudden a game warden came flying down the road jumped out of the truck and was yelling at me to come up there and bring my stuff. I go up there and he is going threw my stuff measuring my fish and just being rude. He got done then asked what the problem is and i said i had no idea what he is talking about and was completely legal. He then said he had 5 calls from different people that i was keeping over my limit and they were all to small to keep. He let me go and i went back and fished but had to move people from my spot bc they took it. He called and got in touch with the people that called and wrote them all a ticket for wasting his time or something. I thought it was funny but they did not and one guy wanted to fight after the warden had left. I ended up just leaving after all that. I fish the same spot often still and anytime that warden sees me, he does not even ask me for my license or check my fish. Just ask how I am doing and moves to the next person.

Last edited by KingHunter17; 01/25/19 04:54 PM.

If the trigger is gold, the birds will fold.
Re: Game Warden Stories [Re: Isom's_Duck_Dawgs] #7414757 01/25/19 04:42 PM
S
SenkoSamurai Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
please keep this thread alive these stories are awesome

Re: Game Warden Stories [Re: Choctaw] #7414772 01/25/19 04:57 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Choctaw
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

Scary ghost stories, Dan. I've managed to survive multiple trips through LA, MS, AL and GA without even getting pulled over much less murdered by renegade police and buried in a dam. roflmao

The only incident that I've had with a TPWD officer that might be seen as negative is the time I had one ask to see my hunting license while I and a landowner were working on a tractor. The landowner was actually more ticked off about it than me. Perhaps that was because it was his property and not mine. All my other interactions with Texas LEO's, which there have been several, were nothing but positive encounters.

Re: Game Warden Stories [Re: Isom's_Duck_Dawgs] #7414779 01/25/19 05:03 PM
B
bronco71 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
I respect most GW, but not this one.

NE Tx GW

Re: Game Warden Stories [Re: Isom's_Duck_Dawgs] #7414797 01/25/19 05:16 PM
J
jrfan Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
J
Way back in the day, early 70's, my dad and his buddy (Philip) were dove hunting in Spur, TX. They had probably shot more birds than they were supposed to. My dad's buddy was from Henrietta, TX and they decided to go hunt there for a while. My dad drove a Chevrolet van. While they were in Henrietta hunting, the game warden came down the county road and met my dad first. He stopped and checked him, all was good. He continued down the fence line where he met Philip, his father and whoever else that were hunting with them. After the game warden left my dad, he started walking to where the others had all met up. About the time my dad got within ear shot, he heard the game warden ask "Philip, y'all wouldn't have any birds in that van would you?" Philip immediately answered him by name, "Bob (whatever his name was), if you check that van, I am just going to have to shoot you." My dad said that was the only time he ever felt like he was going to have a heart attack. He just knew they were going to get thrown under the jail. The game warden laughed it off and said, "y'all have a good hunt", and turned around and left.

Turns out my Philip and the game warden went to school together. My dad did not know that until after it was all over.

My dad was 5' 8" on a good day and 150# soaking wet back then. Philip is probably 6'4" and 250+ then. He played ball at UNT alongside Joe Green. My dad said that there was a good chance Philip would have gotten his [censored] whooped that day if it would have turned out differently.

[Linked Image]
Re: Game Warden Stories [Re: Isom's_Duck_Dawgs] #7414803 01/25/19 05:20 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
Another one. We had been on a lease in south TX for a few years (we were the only ones from Dallas) and always had our work weekend on September 1st when dove season opened (this was before north and south zones), well, sept 1st rolls around and me, dad and his buddy that was on the lease with us, headed south like every other Sept 1st. we get there the night before expecting to see at least a couple of other members there but we were alone. Get up next morning, hunt, eat lunch, go back out and hunt the evening to finish all 3 of our limits, still wondering why no one else came. As Dad's buddy and I are cleaning our evening birds, Dad is in trailer cooking, all of a sudden headlights come blasting from behind us, it was GW (2 of them), asked how we did, how many we had and did we kill any white wings, we answered his questions and he says well, we have a problem, dove season isn't open yet, this year Texas has split the state into Zones and this Zone doesn't open for 2 more weeks (or whatever it was). The GW were extremely nice and said we can tell that you really didn't know you were doing wrong (not that it makes it right) so we will only give tickets to the two adults and will talk to the judge and tell him the situation. Sure enough the next week Dad called the judge and he said the GW told him we were good people and really had no clue to the change and to take it easy on us, so he charged them each only $75. I don't think I ever saw my Pops more embarrassed about a mistake.

Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Game Warden Stories [Re: Isom's_Duck_Dawgs] #7414847 01/25/19 06:14 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Only ticket we have ever gotten from a game warden.
Fishing one day with my brother and dad. A game warden on a jet ski pulled up. Dang near ran into us, acted like a complete azz whole and wrote us a ticked for an expired registration sticker. We were in the wrong, never got our renewal in the mail.

Story from my uncle.
There was a cemetery down the road from our lease, a little back road seldom traveled. Uncle had been hunting hard all season and hadn't gotten a deer yet. After pulling out of the lease gate on the way home he spotted a deer bedded down in the cemetery in front of a grave stone, he could tell it was a buck so he pulled over to look a little more. Got out his binoculars and watched it said it was the biggest buck he had ever seen a typical 10 just bedded there. He thought about shooting it, said it would be easy and nobody was coming... but decided that wasn't the right thing to do so pulled back on the road and headed on his way. As he topped the hill in front of him there was a game warden truck parked on the side of the road. Always wondered if that was a real deer? or the first iteration of Buckey?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Game Warden Stories [Re: Isom's_Duck_Dawgs] #7414907 01/25/19 07:01 PM
R
rfamilyhunting Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
My family and I were camped in a state park by a river with 3 other friends and families. We were all sitting outside together finishing up our breakfast. A game warden races up and two park rangers in their own vehicles also stop near our campsites. They all jump out of their vehicles and the game warden starts yelling my name. I hesitantly raised my hand and said I’m over here, I was in my friends campsite with all our families and kids as they made us breakfast that morning. He comes over and looks me in the eye and says, “You know you have a big catfish on your trotline”. Not knowing if that was an issue I said “yes sir, I noticed it right before breakfast and I was just about to go down there and get it off the line”. It was all kinda funny after that, he just wanted to make sure I knew. They came rolling in like something bad had happened and when he yelled my name I was thinking Oh $hi-. My friends still poke fun at me. It was 25lb. yellow cat, I guess he was checking my line or one of the park rangers called it in.

Re: Game Warden Stories [Re: Isom's_Duck_Dawgs] #7414918 01/25/19 07:06 PM
J
J.R. Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Lots of uneventful encounters, but one that stands out. I shot a mature, legal 8-point on the family property several years ago in Sterling County. Tagged it with a zip tie through the little hole to the base of one horn, filled out the kill log on my license, field-dressed, and headed for the processor in Sterling. As I arrive at the processor in Sterling City, GW is waiting in the parking lot. He finds no tag on the deer, and I'm freaking out. It's blown off somewhere between the plateau on 158 between and Sterling City.

He DOES find the zip tie and the tiny tab of a license trapped under it with ragged edges where the rest of the tag has blown loose, and finds my kill log filled out entirely. He was polite enough, but VERY firm when he said that the ragged tab of my tag trapped under the zip tie and my properly filled out kill log saved my bacon. He recommended thorough black tape on tags in the future, even if it means the GW has to unwrap 10 layers of black tape to check it. I've never tagged an animal without laying the black tape on heavy since.

I was filling up my truck on the other side of the gas pump from him at the Town & Country in Sterling a year later. Without saying anything, I reached into my backpack and pulled out the two rolls of black tape. I held them up, one in each hand, and smiled at him. He had a good laugh and we talked for a minute. He said he legit would have charged me had it not been for that tiny tab under the zip tie and kill log, as there's simply too many dishonest people doing their level best to work the system.

"First come smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."
Re: Game Warden Stories [Re: Isom's_Duck_Dawgs] #7414930 01/25/19 07:15 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I was camping the night before opening day of duck season several years ago. I had a little camp fire going. I dug out a hole, made a fire ring out of rocks and had my shovel sitting next to me. This place is not unusual to have a lot of traffic, anybody from campers, to people fishing, to hunters, to drug users and just general weirdos that park their car in the woods and sit there. I can’t count the number of times kids (and sometimes adults) go hauling butt down the dirt (gravel in very few places) without a care in the world. I’m just waiting for one of them to break an axle or something.

Well, this night, a truck with headlights on, lightbars, fog lights and ground lights comes hauling butt down a road parallel to the one I’m camping off of. It passes me, makes a u-turn a couple hundred yards and comes hauling butt towards me, skidding to a stop in front of me with all these lights in my face. It was a little unnerving, because I couldn’t see who it was at all. I don’t know if it’s someone drunk or stoned, cartel members or what.

Guy gets out, and it’s a federal game warden. He said he saw the fire and wanted to make sure it wasn’t a forest fire. Really nice guy, checked my license, gave me his card and chatted a bit. Said to call him anytime I was out and saw of heard something askew. He was relieved to see the fire was contained and being tended to, and I was relieved I wasn’t decapitated and buried in a levy.

The funny part is, I had been camping in that general area the spring before with friends, and forest service employees came up to us and informed us they would be doing a controlled burn right where we were camping. They set the woods on fire right where we were camping that day to prevent wild fires. Said he couldn’t make us leave but suggested we move the tents a little closer to the water.

Only other warden story I have still burns me up. It was not a pleasant encounter and it’s too long to type out. Plus, it will just get me pissed off thinking about it anymore.

I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Game Warden Stories [Re: Isom's_Duck_Dawgs] #7414985 01/25/19 08:00 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
My best laugh with a TPWD officer happened just this past season. I mentioned to him how I had seen him several times on the television series Lone Star Law. I asked him how many times he has gotten asked for autographs. He joked back, "No, I ask people for their autograph", referring to him asking people to sign their citations.

I'm sure it was a comeback often used by the officers who have appeared on the show.

Re: Game Warden Stories [Re: Isom's_Duck_Dawgs] #7415115 01/25/19 10:08 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
All of my encounters except one have been overwhelmingly positive. It's been over 30 years ago, but we had got a new warden, fresh out of the academy. I suppose he was excited about his new occupation and trying to make a name. I had launched my boat at a small marina inside a no wake zone breakwater. It was lined with covered boat houses that lit the marina up like Minute Maid park. I came back into the marina about 15 minutes before sunset. Put my trolling motor down and flipped boat houses for about 20 minutes before I got to the ramp. When I walked up to the parking lot, the game warden wrote me a ticket for no running lights. Cost me a little over $160. At the time I was fresh out of college, money was tight, and I was a little sore about it. Karma is a funny thing. I don't know if there is any truth to it, but the rumor was, a couple weeks later, a wild a$$ Billy goat that you could not get within 200 yards of, with an old school 6 volt rayovac head light, duct taped to his horns and turned on, was set loose in a gawd awful briar thicket at 11 pm, and a spotlighter was reported in that location from a pay phone. This pre dated cell phones. The rumor was that at 3 AM his truck was still there.... I can't say if there was any truth to the rumor or not but I laughed when I heard the story. A couple days after the alleged incident, I ran into the warden at the same marina. Poor guy looked like he had tried to stick a sparkler up a bobcats a$$.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Game Warden Stories [Re: jrfan] #7415119 01/25/19 10:12 PM
S
Stevarino Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted by jrfan
Way back in the day, early 70's, my dad and his buddy (Philip) were dove hunting in Spur, TX. They had probably shot more birds than they were supposed to. My dad's buddy was from Henrietta, TX and they decided to go hunt there for a while. My dad drove a Chevrolet van. While they were in Henrietta hunting, the game warden came down the county road and met my dad first. He stopped and checked him, all was good. He continued down the fence line where he met Philip, his father and whoever else that were hunting with them. After the game warden left my dad, he started walking to where the others had all met up. About the time my dad got within ear shot, he heard the game warden ask "Philip, y'all wouldn't have any birds in that van would you?" Philip immediately answered him by name, "Bob (whatever his name was), if you check that van, I am just going to have to shoot you." My dad said that was the only time he ever felt like he was going to have a heart attack. He just knew they were going to get thrown under the jail. The game warden laughed it off and said, "y'all have a good hunt", and turned around and left.

Turns out my Philip and the game warden went to school together. My dad did not know that until after it was all over.

My dad was 5' 8" on a good day and 150# soaking wet back then. Philip is probably 6'4" and 250+ then. He played ball at UNT alongside Joe Green. My dad said that there was a good chance Philip would have gotten his [censored] whooped that day if it would have turned out differently.

That’s a good one. Wished I could’ve been there..

Last edited by Stevarino; 01/25/19 10:13 PM.
Re: Game Warden Stories [Re: Isom's_Duck_Dawgs] #7415257 01/26/19 01:20 AM
P
pdugas Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
A buddy of mine and his brother were fishing one day . The GW pulls up in his boat and starts checking licenses , boat registration and all the other stuff . They were short a life jacket so GW pulls out his ticket book then starts patting his pockets and looking around for his pen . He looks up and noticed that my buddy’s brother had a pen in his shirt pocket . GW asked him if he could borrow his pen . His brother pulls his pen out of his pocket and throws it over his own shoulder into the water and says “ oops “ . GW just shook his head and laughed . My buddy’s brother says “ no way I’m gonna let you write me a ticket with my own pen.” GW starts going through his boat till he finds his spare pen and writes him a ticket then tells him I don’t blame you I would have liked it either.... True story .

Re: Game Warden Stories [Re: Isom's_Duck_Dawgs] #7415280 01/26/19 01:48 AM
S
Sparky45 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I had a good time messing with a GW at lake Ft Phantom once
I got invited to fish with my pastor about 15 years ago
We were just gonna try for some whites from the bank
I didnt have a license because mine had expired so I ran and got mine the day before

There we were fishing from the bank when I heard a truck pull up and park way up the hill.

I started looking to see who it was, not wanting to let anyone sneak up behind me.

I saw it was a GW trying to work his way around the shoreline and come up behind us where we wouldn't see him coming.

I tipped off the preacher and we just kept fishing
When I heard him about 20 yards away, I turned his way and looked right at him and immediately set my rod down and started to walk off.

He yelled . HOLD UP THERE SIR!
So I just stood there and he came up and started making small talk
Heck of a nice guy. Ask if we had any bites, just shot the breeze for well over 10 minutes then he got real serious and said "well bud, I gotta ask to see your license "
At which point I produced my brand new license and he looked real surprised

I said "I had you didnt I?"

He just smiled and said.. "yeah sort of,...yall be safe and have a good day "

The only easy day was yesterday

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Re: Game Warden Stories [Re: Isom's_Duck_Dawgs] #7415453 01/26/19 05:40 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
My favorite story didn’t happen to me, but a guy I hunted with. This hunter had shot an 8 point buck I had watched all bow season. It was dark when he found the buck and found it and tagged it. When I got back into camp the GW was parked at our gate to camp. He check me out and asked if anyone else shot anything. I said I “think” this guy shot a buck. When he arrived in camp the GW checked the buck. He said we had a big problem. The GW said you tagged this buck with a Red Drum tag. I had already cracked open a beer and laughed out loud when I heard this. The hunter’s mouth hit the floor and turned to fear. The GW asked to see his license which he had checked the buck box with today’s date and was all filled out correctly. That saved his butt. The buck tag on the license was located bottom right and the Red Drum tag was located top left. In the dark, he had inverted the license and tore off the wrong tag. The GW told him to tag the deer with the correct buck tag and he would be fine. But he would lose his red drum tag. We still get a laugh about him tagging a buck with a red drum tag!!

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Game Warden Stories [Re: Isom's_Duck_Dawgs] #7415454 01/26/19 05:41 AM
D
duble bogey Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
Back in the mid 80's my brother in law and myself had located a fair amount of doves going to a family friends pasture one afternoon. we called him that night and he gave us permission to hunt. The next afternoon we get there a little late and the birds are flying good, and we just parked and were shooting off the asphalt county road. After a bit I saw the game wardens car coming. so I yelled at my BIL that we were fixing to get ticketed. Well the game warden drove up, and asked if he minded if he hunted with us.. Of course we got to hunt doves with the game warden that afternoon. We all 3 got limits. And dove filled limits in Van Zandt county were pretty slim then and since. Had lots of good hunts there in the 60's and into the mid 70's though.

Last edited by duble bogey; 01/26/19 05:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Re: Game Warden Stories [Re: Isom's_Duck_Dawgs] #7415733 01/26/19 07:25 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Back in the sixties you could just drive up to a couple of farm houses and ask if they would mind if you dove hunted at their tank.
Always had luck doing that. Was in the very very small town of Ivan which is about 10 miles from Breckenridge. Asked at the post office
if they knew any place the 4 of us could dove hunt. Said yes, down the road 1/4 mile is the community field where the owner does
not have a problem with anyone hunting dove. It's a sun flower field. We thank him and drove to the field. Got out and positioned our
selves on the four different sides of the field. Before I could even load my gun a GW pulled up. Yep, you guessed it. We all got tickets
for trespassing. I even said, lets go back to the post office, that guy gave up permission to hunt here. He said I could tell it to the Judge.
The part I liked was we could mail in a fine of $125 each or we could appear in Judge Johnson's court for trespassing
I offended wondered, how much of the $125 did the GW get.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide