Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Central Texas folks? #7413845 01/24/19 06:46 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Any/how many of you guys live around Austin/Bastrop or thereabouts?

Would love to see what you upland guys around this area do for hunting. No, not looking for a place, looking for a place to let me and my bird dog hang out and talk about the stuff we don't really hunt lol. I have a Llewellyn setter. She has never hunted, but she's a King Llew and just getting her in the truck and out of the house and around other hunting dogs may inspire me.. heh

Russ

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: Central Texas folks? [Re: JohnRussell] #7413886 01/24/19 07:19 PM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
Face book has a group for Llewellyn setter owners, there's people on there that have Llews and don't hunt. Lord knows I will never understand that but it is what it is. My ES goes nuts when I finally get him out

Last edited by RayB; 01/24/19 07:19 PM.

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: Central Texas folks? [Re: JohnRussell] #7414247 01/25/19 01:23 AM
B
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
This is quite an unusual request

Re: Central Texas folks? [Re: JohnRussell] #7414690 01/25/19 03:54 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Blanked - not sure what is "unusual" about it... just figured I would get to know any local folks that have bird dogs and maybe see where they train etc.

See, when I hunted birds, years ago, we pretty much hung out at the local skeet/trap place with the same folks we hunted with. That was just a coincidence really, but it was Odessa... and if you hunted birds.. skeet/trap, I guess, was a natural "off season" thing. Anyway, sold my main ranch down south so have more time on my hands.. and I have a Llew, so figured to see what bird hunting guys, specific to Texas, do around here.

As for the Facebook page.... that is my page. I started it a couple years ago when I got my dog. My father raised Llews and trained them for a lot of years. He passed away and the man he got them from passed away.. and I had a chance to get one, since we had just gotten 2 acres so plenty of room to run at the house....I made the mistake of calling them "King Llewellyn" and that set off a "storm" of people that hate the name King.

Anyway, rather than get mixed in that, started my own page.

There are a couple people there, from around here, but that page has well over 3k people on it and not many in this area.. so, figured to ask here.

I had not posted in here in some years because the last time I posted in here, someone got all bent out of shape because I was new... did not disagree, but, evidently, had a different thought than someone.. and well.. so, here I am.. was bored.. figured to say hi and see who all lived around here and what resources there were for bird dogs.

So...unusual? eh.. guess so...but, no problem.. just figured to ask.

Have a good day. Thanks for the info..

Russ

Re: Central Texas folks? [Re: RayB] #7414695 01/25/19 03:57 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by RayB
Face book has a group for Llewellyn setter owners, there's people on there that have Llews and don't hunt. Lord knows I will never understand that but it is what it is. My ES goes nuts when I finally get him out

Stonewall, one of our main Llews, was so excited, he chewed through a wood partition on the dog crate my dad had made once.. .because his door was closed and Jeb's was not.. (Jeb was the Red Setter).

Dad loved Setters, the guy we hunted with loved Brits.

Re: Central Texas folks? [Re: JohnRussell] #7417085 01/28/19 06:03 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
John, if I could still hunt I would be in, dogs & horse's are my favorite subjects

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Central Texas folks? [Re: colt45-90] #7417170 01/28/19 07:34 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by colt45
John, if I could still hunt I would be in, dogs & horse's are my favorite subjects

Lol.. Colt, I know ya would, bud.

I just was thinking of working with Tribby, my Llew, and the best way to learn is to see and talk to people that do it a lot more than I have... so, figured to see what resources were around.

The only place I ever found when we lived up in Round Rock was some sort of hunting place that charged like 2200 to join and like 200 a month... crazy. Since I have zero idea if Tribby will ever be a great hunter, due to lack of experience, I saw no point in paying that sort of deal....

I plan to hit public places this year, if I can get her better trained on staying and whistle commands etc... otherwise, she is not ready to be set loose.. heh

Anyway, does not look like a lot out here that are also on here or care to divulge of info, but, never hurts to ask.

R

Re: Central Texas folks? [Re: JohnRussell] #7417396 01/28/19 11:30 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
John, I'm not a setter guy but pointing dogs are pointing dogs. Don't over complicate it. Your starting point is to develop a solid recall and condition to gunfire cautiously. Then get the dog on birds. Lots of birds, and let it hunt. if you use pen raised birds, use strong flyers. Pigeons are better than quail. Never let it catch one. The point is instinctive and not taught. Once it begins to flash point, you can help it with steadiness, if it needs it. When the dog staunchly holds and lets you flush the bird, kill it for the dog and let it get it in its mouth. Obedience is done in the yard away from birds and hunting. That is the basics.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Central Texas folks? [Re: Smokey Bear] #7417417 01/28/19 11:49 PM
C
Chet Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
John, I'm not a setter guy but pointing dogs are pointing dogs. Don't over complicate it. Your starting point is to develop a solid recall and condition to gunfire cautiously. Then get the dog on birds. Lots of birds, and let it hunt. if you use pen raised birds, use strong flyers. Pigeons are better than quail. Never let it catch one. The point is instinctive and not taught. Once it begins to flash point, you can help it with steadiness, if it needs it. When the dog staunchly holds and lets you flush the bird, kill it for the dog and let it get it in its mouth. Obedience is done in the yard away from birds and hunting. That is the basics.

If you follow this don't think you'll go wrong!

Re: Central Texas folks? [Re: JohnRussell] #7417457 01/29/19 12:37 AM
B
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I say it’s an unusual request because the best place to talk about bird dogs and bird hunting is right here on this forum.

Re: Central Texas folks? [Re: Chet] #7417491 01/29/19 01:12 AM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by Chet
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear

If you follow this don't think you'll go wrong!

Ditto. Smokey Bear knows how it's to be done.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Central Texas folks? [Re: JohnRussell] #7418945 01/30/19 02:27 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Thanks guys. We used to use quail.. putting them to sleep under a bush and walking the dogs through them, but we also used pigeons. Just been a while. I am going to work with a local trainer to get the basics down and ensure I get a handle on some of the basics. I think that is a good start for me.

I have some quail wings I got from a friend and will be making some use out of those.

I think she will be a lot easier to work with once we get the basics down and get her listening and minding and such. She has the ability, I have watched her a while.. but she deserves to have some focus spent on her.

Anyway, will see how it goes.

Blanked: while I can agree with you... again.. my experience has been that nothing trumps being hands on or around other hunters. We can talk and advise, and that for sure is a good thing, but, like I mentioned before.. most the hunters we knew all shot skeet and thus, the off-season was spent at the skeet range. Look, was just asking because I was bored and ya gotta start somewhere. It may be "unusual" for you, but.. with all due respect, not sure how that adds value to what, clearly, is a discussion for others.

Hope that clarifies it.

To the rest, Tribby thanks you all too.. heh

Smokey - btw.. did not mean that training was different for Setters, just not a lot of folks used setters when I was growing up.. heck, people still think she is a long-haired dalmation.. lol.. but, you are totally correct, bird dog is a bird dog when it comes to training technique. Only difference we found was that.. and it may be different for others, some work in close while others worked better further out. I know our Red setters tended to reach a bit while the Llews tended to like closer in. Made for interesting work when mixing them, but my dad was always a lot better at this. experience.

By the way, not trying to be a smartalec. Just wanted to chat about dogs...ice-breaker type thing. I tried it some years back.. made the account on these forums for that express purpose, and one post talking about my experiences caused backlash from people that felt I was a new guy and asked a dumb question. I get it, bird dog people are a small group and thus, I was asking about local resources as forums tend to get "clique-ish" and I was hoping to get help and advice. That was the reason for asking, and clearly.. great advice from some. I thank you for all that. I have experience raising and working behind them, but not a lot training them... so.. we shall see what happens.

I am sure I will locate some local folks to help guide me once I get in contact with the trainers I left emails for.

R

Last edited by JohnRussell; 01/30/19 02:40 PM.

Re: Central Texas folks? [Re: JohnRussell] #7419150 01/30/19 05:02 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by JohnRussell

Smokey - btw.. did not mean that training was different for Setters, just not a lot of folks used setters when I was growing up.. heck, people still think she is a long-haired dalmation.. lol.. but, you are totally correct, bird dog is a bird dog when it comes to training technique. Only difference we found was that.. and it may be different for others, some work in close while others worked better further out. I know our Red setters tended to reach a bit while the Llews tended to like closer in. Made for interesting work when mixing them, but my dad was always a lot better at this. experience.

R

No sweat, I was hesitant to answer your post. I am neither a central texas guy, nor a setter guy. I wouldn't worry about folks's misidentification of your dog....

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Central Texas folks? [Re: JohnRussell] #7419330 01/30/19 07:10 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
lol! not worried about that. It's a great conversation starter and the breed is a super breed. Gives people a chance to learn about a wonderful breed.

Thanks Bear!

Re: Central Texas folks? [Re: blanked] #7430201 02/10/19 10:59 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted by blanked
I say it’s an unusual request because the best place to talk about bird dogs and bird hunting is right here on this forum.

I am like John, I enjoy the get together, whether its in the field or over a cup of coffee or shooting clay's

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide