Forums46
Topics537,019
Posts9,719,444
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? #7408878 01/19/19 05:15 PM
10 Gauge Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Not looking for a trophy buck of a lifetime. More or less, I just want access to a spot where I can tag out every year without hurting anyone's feelings. It's not even about the deer, and deer are not my primary target. I want a place to hunt squirrel, rabbit, dove, etc. AND deer. Some predators, pigs. Would love to get started on waterfowl too, but I understand there is plenty of waterfowl hunting on public land in vicinity of the metroplex. I just generally want to enjoy time outdoors with the family, and I want the kids to have a nice stress free environment without a bunch of pressure from other public hunters. I also want year round access for camping as well, and not break anybody's heart if I want to do some target shooting as well.

I might get flamed for saying this, but I feel like the emphasis on trophy bucks is bad for the land and bad for the sport. It takes all the fun out of it for me, I can only imagine how it would effect the kids. I just want to get some wild vittles and teach the kids about hunting and conservation. Trophy buck management is not equivalent to conservation in my opinion, although I do see how they run parallel to each other.

So what can I expect to pay for this kind of lease? Or should I just hunt doves on public land until I can buy my own spot?

Last edited by regularguy11B; 01/19/19 05:16 PM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7408915 01/19/19 06:03 PM
B
Brother Phil Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
It would help if you mention what part of the state you would like to hunt. The price does vary depending on the area. If you are thinking of saving up enough money to buy your own ranch, what is your budget for that? It is much less expensive to find a lease.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7408928 01/19/19 06:26 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I completely disagree with your opinion. But your welcome to it, of course.

Honestly, if you want that much activity out of a deer lease, you’d be better off buying your own place. I’ve never heard a landowner say that they want to have a deer lease where people come out year round & shoot a buncha squirrels, rabbits, etc.

Try thinking of it from a landowners perspective.

Good luck in your search.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7408952 01/19/19 06:59 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Year around all game hunting leases range between $6 ~ $20++ per acre depending on a long list of variables.

'Tagging out' will require a high enough deer density and enough acreage to support the amount being killed.
In a high deer population area of the hill country that could be 15 acres, in Nw Tx up into the panhandle that might be 640 acres per hunter.

A lot of people buy 100 acres in an area that supports 24 deer per section then proceed to tag out like 3 of their neighbors, in a few years wonder why they don't see many deer any more.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7408988 01/19/19 08:12 PM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I should probably add that tagging out is not the goal. But if I did tag out, so what?

I would definitely be that guy that buys the 20-40 acre chunk of land in a good area and upsets the locals that are managing for trophy bucks only. I just don't want to play that game. I do reserve the right to change my opinion down the road of course wink

I am also the guy that spends the day picking up litter wherever I have been granted permission to hunt.

Deer hunting in Texas is becoming a rich man's game. "If it would please the crown" comes to mind. Not exactly "good for the sport". Shame there is not more opportunities. In North Carolina there is public land everywhere, even Fort Bragg isn't too restrictive and you sign in and out on the internet with your phone. Fort Hood could learn something from Fort Bragg in that regard.

But it's not home. Texas is home.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7409046 01/19/19 09:46 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Buy your own place is all I can say. Our lease you could do that but what if you have all 6 guys and families doing that. Wouldn't be any game left or they would run for the hills. If we tagged out on deer, we would shoot 60% of our herd yearly. Shooting a yearling spike is pointless imo. We have ARs so you have to grow the bucks to shoot them.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7409047 01/19/19 09:49 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
If you find a property to lease like you want consider yourself very lucky and do everything in the world to keep it.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7409290 01/20/19 04:49 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by regularguy11B
I should probably add that tagging out is not the goal. But if I did tag out, so what?

I would definitely be that guy that buys the 20-40 acre chunk of land in a good area and upsets the locals that are managing for trophy bucks only. I just don't want to play that game. I do reserve the right to change my opinion down the road of course wink

I am also the guy that spends the day picking up litter wherever I have been granted permission to hunt.

Deer hunting in Texas is becoming a rich man's game. "If it would please the crown" comes to mind. Not exactly "good for the sport". Shame there is not more opportunities. In North Carolina there is public land everywhere, even Fort Bragg isn't too restrictive and you sign in and out on the internet with your phone. Fort Hood could learn something from Fort Bragg in that regard.

That makes me sick, & IMO, is a lot of what is wrong about hunting nowadays.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: maximus_flavius] #7409415 01/20/19 03:26 PM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius

That makes me sick, & IMO, is a lot of what is wrong about hunting nowadays.

Which part makes you sick? The part where I don't want to play the trophy bucks management game? Or the part where I am a steward of the land, picks up after others, etc.? The part where common folks have plenty of hunting opportunities in NC?

I would bet it's the part where I don't care to manage for trophy bucks. Because managing your land for trophy bucks is the number one most important thing right?

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7409434 01/20/19 03:51 PM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Seems you have not been on a lease before or perhaps just not much experience being part of a lease. There are hunters who are happy to kill a very nice buck and that is all they shoot in that season. You have to take care of your source of animals. Agree deer hunting is expensive and you will find the better leases's cost even more. That is just the way it is.

One's hunting habits affect the other hunters time at the lease and their availability to game.

Hope you can buy a place you will be happy with....maybe you have not expressed yourself properly.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7409438 01/20/19 03:55 PM
C
CGB Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
All I can say is I hope you don’t end up as my neighbor.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7409470 01/20/19 04:39 PM
F
Fltmedic Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Chances are very slim you will find what you are looking for. I rarely shoot all the deer the landowners allow me to shoot when I am on a lease. If they insist on filling the quota I ablige, but generally 1 or 2 deer is my average per season. Between deer and other animals (turkey, hogs, exotics) they lease hunting rights for I’m a happy hunter. I wish you luck, there are ranches that will let you tag out but I have a feeling that would be short lived.

Don't take life so seriously, you'll never make it out alive!
Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7409480 01/20/19 05:05 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R

Which part makes you sick? The part where I don't want to play the trophy bucks management game? Or the part where I am a steward of the land, picks up after others, etc.? The part where common folks have plenty of hunting opportunities in NC?

I would bet it's the part where I don't care to manage for trophy bucks. Because managing your land for trophy bucks is the number one most important thing right?

The part about tagging out on 20 - 40 acres goes against any stretch of the definition conservation or being a steward of the land.
You simply can't kill 5 deer per year on 40 acres of land that supports maybe 30 deer per section ( 640 square acres) without being detrimental to the herd.
640 / 30 = about 21 acres per deer.
Even if by chance you find a place near DFW that has a population of about 35 deer per section ( which is rare) 640 / 35 = 18 acres per deer.
So on your typical 40 acres near the DFW area 1 or 2 per year is about all you can expect without negatively impacting the deer herd in the area.

Taking more deer than the area can support is the exact opposite of being a steward of the land or conservation, throw in a couple of people doing the same as you in the area = a good way to find yourself basically deerless in a few years.

To find a place that can support 'tagging out' on 40 acres you will be outside of the area you've said you'd like to be in other threads.
There are high to over populated areas of the state that will support that.
Bottom line if you want to kill 3 - 5 deer per year off of 40 acres you'll have to look for a place in an area that can support that.

There is no such thing as 'the trophy bucks management game', sound deer management starts with healthy doe then fawns, the byproduct of that ends up with healthy bucks.
Nutrition, genetics & age allow them to produce antlers to their potential. Most spend considerable amounts improving the land to provide the best environment possible for the deer. That is land stewardship.
Those folks managing 'trophy' deer on properties around you will greatly improve what you see & kill.

There are plenty of hunting leases that don't go overboard on the trophy aspect of deer hunting, many that have no other restrictions other than the county game laws.
There are laws & restrictions in many counties that control what bucks can be killed, these restrictions are not trophy management.

If you're having to pick up after other people, you're on a really bad lease or trespassing is out of control on land you own.
Fixing either is real simple.

If you think other states have more opportunity for common folks to hunt thats where you should hunt.

I don't mean to be rude, you sound very inexperienced, most folks would love to find a couple hundred acres to buy or lease that borders a well managed ranch.

If you can't afford $1500 - $2500 per year for a lease, it's going to be hard to afford the $1000 - $3000 per month to buy, there is some public hunting lands in Tx.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: Wilhunt] #7409482 01/20/19 05:07 PM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Wilhunt
Seems you have not been on a lease before or perhaps just not much experience being part of a lease. There are hunters who are happy to kill a very nice buck and that is all they shoot in that season. You have to take care of your source of animals. Agree deer hunting is expensive and you will find the better leases's cost even more. That is just the way it is.

One's hunting habits affect the other hunters time at the lease and their availability to game.

Hope you can buy a place you will be happy with....maybe you have not expressed yourself properly.

I have never used a lease. I've only hunted public land my whole life and I never hunted deer until my adult life, have only ever taken one deer. I did wait and stalk a big bodied 8 point buck with a small rack, and it was a lot of fun but the one animal filed my small freezer and lasted over 6 months.

Not for the lack of deer, there are plenty of deer here. I just prefer squirrel hunting, and it is a great time with the kids. The boy, my stepson, soecifically asks to go squirrel hunting, and prefers it to deer hunting. A whole lot more fun to snoop around the woods looking for squirrels, lots of action. Like fishing for sunfish smile

It's possible I might have miscommunicated. But for the ruffled feathers, sorry not sorry, hehe.
I've never tagged out or limited on anything other than largemouth bass. I love me some bass fillets. I bet that comment will ruffle some feathers too! Never even shot a limit of squirrels. Honestly never tried and I don't even have the time.

Would I pass on a animal so it's genes could be passed on? Yeah. Same with fishing, I let all the big ones go. I rarely keep bass much bigger than three pounds, have never kept catfish at 20 pounds or larger. I am that guy that would be just happy as could be shooting nothing but "cull" bucks and does. Ya got deer ya don't want?? You don't say!

But again, if I tagged out one year, so what? Unsure what the limits are like in Texas these days but in NC you get 6 deer tags. Back in Tenessee it was like 20. Deer roam in huge herds like cattle at night in Tennessee.

I would rather be restricted to small game and birds only but otherwise unrestricted use, than to take any deer at all. I am looking for a fun place to take the kids without a bunch of silly rules.

I would also prefer unrestricted hunting of pigs to any deer hunting privileges at all. For all the invasive pig "problems" i have been hearing about my whole life, I've never gotten a pig and only seen ine or teo in my life. Compared to whitetail deer, which I usually run across while squirrel hunting almost every time I go.

But still- if I make you so sick, then change my mind. If you think I sound foolish, come to me with logic that you think might change my mind. Shame on me I make you sick, just strengthens my position. If I were a poacher or if I wanted to tear up the land with my truck all day, yeah, that should make you sick..

These kids are not going to grow into lifetime hunters and sportsmen if their only experience hunting is freezing in a deer blind in front of a feeder waiting for dad to pick one they can shoot. They want to get out, walk around, and have fun. Something to consider if you have little ones and you really care about the future of the sport.

These kids would rather walk around looking for squirrels, or sit on a pickle bucket waiting for doves in the warm sunshine. They don't care about trophies... they like to eat and they like to have fun.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7409508 01/20/19 05:48 PM
B
Brother Phil Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
How long have you lived in TX? I suggest talking to some other hunters that are on a lease, to get some ideas of what is involved. I moved here from MN over 30 years ago. TX is a different environment, than a state with unlimited quality public hunting opportunities. For several years, I tried the public route. I hunted ducks on some core of engineers lakes, and bought a type 2 public hunting permit. I did find some quality duck and small game hunting. However, deer hunting was another story. I learned that any hunter who can harvest deer on public land is a very skilled hunter putting in tremendous effort to do so. I decided to go the lease route. I have had leases that are poor, fair, good, and excellent. Usually, you get what you pay for. You might find a East TX lease, or hunting club, may work for you. They are the most inexpensive leases, and offer good squirrel hunting. There are also leases in Arkansas, that start around the $400.00 range. You would need to factor in the cost of a non-resident license.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: Brother Phil] #7409524 01/20/19 06:02 PM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Brother Phil
How long have you lived in TX? I suggest talking to some other hunters that are on a lease, to get some ideas of what is involved. I moved here from MN over 30 years ago. TX is a different environment, than a state with unlimited quality public hunting opportunities. For several years, I tried the public route. I hunted ducks on some core of engineers lakes, and bought a type 2 public hunting permit. I did find some quality duck and small game hunting. However, deer hunting was another story. I learned that any hunter who can harvest deer on public land is a very skilled hunter putting in tremendous effort to do so. I decided to go the lease route. I have had leases that are poor, fair, good, and excellent. Usually, you get what you pay for. You might find a East TX lease, or hunting club, may work for you. They are the most inexpensive leases, and offer good squirrel hunting. There are also leases in Arkansas, that start around the $400.00 range. You would need to factor in the cost of a non-resident license.

I was born and raised in Texas. I live there most of the first 27 years of my life. During that time I mostly only fished. Some small game hunting, for rabbit mostly.

I'm 38 now. Moving back next month. Texas is my home of record and I am still a legal resident.

So far, from what I have seen and read, I just need my own property. Watch me, I will probably get caugt up in trophy buck management too, haha. I hope not though, at least not until the kids are ready for all that. Probably hunt small game or maybe even some waterfowl IVO Lake Lavon with the family, and might just try to do a nilgai hunt with an outfitter once a year to fill my freezer with wild vittles.

Would be great if I could find an outfitter where I could spend a whole week with the family for a reasonable price. I would settle for a hog trip of I could bring the whole crew (wife and 4 kids) for the price of a one person nilgai trip. But the wife and daughters don't like to rough it, gotta be a comfortable place as well!

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7410900 01/21/19 09:36 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
You'll never find a lease if the land owner knows you think this way.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7411026 01/21/19 11:25 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Sometimes, you don't want to express EVERYTHING you are feeling... smile

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: titan2232] #7411130 01/22/19 12:46 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by titan2232
You'll never find a lease if the land owner knows you think this way.

And buying 40 acres and shooting every deer you see will get you high fenced out real quick.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7411245 01/22/19 02:34 AM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C

Would be great if I could find an outfitter where I could spend a whole week with the family for a reasonable price. I would settle for a hog trip of I could bring the whole crew (wife and 4 kids) for the price of a one person nilgai trip. But the wife and daughters don't like to rough it, gotta be a comfortable place as well!

I may be able to set you up with hogs

Check back with me in April

I have land and have access to other places

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7411377 01/22/19 09:33 AM
S
SpoonPlatoon Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
There is a ton of good public land within an hour of the metroplex for small game.

[Linked Image]
Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: Rustler] #7411881 01/22/19 07:47 PM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Rustler

The part about tagging out on 20 - 40 acres goes against any stretch of the definition conservation or being a steward of the land.
You simply can't kill 5 deer per year on 40 acres of land that supports maybe 30 deer per section ( 640 square acres) without being detrimental to the herd.
640 / 30 = about 21 acres per deer.
Even if by chance you find a place near DFW that has a population of about 35 deer per section ( which is rare) 640 / 35 = 18 acres per deer.
So on your typical 40 acres near the DFW area 1 or 2 per year is about all you can expect without negatively impacting the deer herd in the area.

Taking more deer than the area can support is the exact opposite of being a steward of the land or conservation, throw in a couple of people doing the same as you in the area = a good way to find yourself basically deerless in a few years.

To find a place that can support 'tagging out' on 40 acres you will be outside of the area you've said you'd like to be in other threads.
There are high to over populated areas of the state that will support that.
Bottom line if you want to kill 3 - 5 deer per year off of 40 acres you'll have to look for a place in an area that can support that.

There is no such thing as 'the trophy bucks management game', sound deer management starts with healthy doe then fawns, the byproduct of that ends up with healthy bucks.
Nutrition, genetics & age allow them to produce antlers to their potential. Most spend considerable amounts improving the land to provide the best environment possible for the deer. That is land stewardship.
Those folks managing 'trophy' deer on properties around you will greatly improve what you see & kill.

There are plenty of hunting leases that don't go overboard on the trophy aspect of deer hunting, many that have no other restrictions other than the county game laws.
There are laws & restrictions in many counties that control what bucks can be killed, these restrictions are not trophy management.

If you're having to pick up after other people, you're on a really bad lease or trespassing is out of control on land you own.
Fixing either is real simple.

If you think other states have more opportunity for common folks to hunt thats where you should hunt.

I don't mean to be rude, you sound very inexperienced, most folks would love to find a couple hundred acres to buy or lease that borders a well managed ranch.

If you can't afford $1500 - $2500 per year for a lease, it's going to be hard to afford the $1000 - $3000 per month to buy, there is some public hunting lands in Tx.

I am inexperienced, absolutely. Indigent? No.

$1500 to hunt all year? What can you expect from a $1,500 a year lease? IT WOULD BE GREAT IF YOU PROVIDE ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS LIKE THAT WHILE YOU ARE FLAMING ME! Even $2,500 sounds great if I have year round access and we can camp. I don't even care about the deer to be honest. But if I can't offset the cost to hunt with some wild vittles, I'll hunt elsewhere. Nilgai are looking good to me right now. Pigs too. Never killed a pig.

Don't mean to be rude? I think you do. I think a lot of ya'll do, good and ready to get the new guy that wants to tag out flagged and kicked off the forum. I don't think you care a whole lot about new hunters or the future of the sport. But- at least you present a good argumen and provide some insight as to why it's bad to even try to tag out.

Call me out on my threads? Am I contradicting myself? Please quote me. I'm ready to explain why and I as always, reserve the right to change my mind! I beet that you have contradicted yourself a few times in the last 4,000 posts, too!

Texas is where I will hunt.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: Rustler] #7411891 01/22/19 08:00 PM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Rustler
Year around all game hunting leases range between $6 ~ $20++ per acre depending on a long list of variables.

'Tagging out' will require a high enough deer density and enough acreage to support the amount being killed.
In a high deer population area of the hill country that could be 15 acres, in Nw Tx up into the panhandle that might be 640 acres per hunter.

A lot of people buy 100 acres in an area that supports 24 deer per section then proceed to tag out like 3 of their neighbors, in a few years wonder why they don't see many deer any more.

Thanks for the pointers. Tagging out is obviously a no go, and apparently a taboo subject in the forum. Thanks for not making it personal.

Last edited by regularguy11B; 01/22/19 08:01 PM.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: CharlieCTx] #7411892 01/22/19 08:02 PM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
Sometimes, you don't want to express EVERYTHING you are feeling... smile

Hahaha! Hindsight!

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7411945 01/22/19 09:06 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Tagging out is not at all a taboo subject.
Tagging out on 40 acres anywhere near DFW is basically a ludicrous expectation, it shows either a lack of experience or an I don't care about sustainability of the deer herd in the area / if its brown its down attitude.
The later will make it difficult to find any lease.
As a responsible hunter you have to understand or at least have a good idea of a given areas deer density, some areas will support 5 deer killed on 40 acres, some 3 - 5 deer 300+ acres, others might be 1 - 3 deer on 640+ ac.

Finding a lease when you have no leads or contacts isn’t easy, never said it was, you have to put in the work.
You have to get out and look in areas you’d like lease, stop in feed stores, pick up local papers, check the chamber of commerce web sites, put up a lease wanted add on bulletin boards in feed & farm & ranch stores maybe in a local newspaper, meet people, ask friends & associates if they have any leads.
You have to have cash in hand & be willing to go look at what’s offered immediately.
Leases are in high demand, waiting until next weekend or 2 weeks from now is the best way to miss out on an opportunity.
This forum ' Lands & Leases ' is a good place to keep an eye on. You have to read back through several pages to see if there is anything interesting, visit everyday to see if anything new has been posted.

Mostly you have to have realistic expectations.
Put yourself in their shoes.
Do you think LO’s are actively searching for or want strangers with little experience to run around on their property with firearms whenever they feel like it?
Why would you lease land you own and to who? For what price?
You can't expect LO's to fall all over you with offers just because you want a cheap place to use as a recreational / hunting lease with your children.

I understand you're really not mainly focused on deer rather a place to take kids a have a good time.
Many family friendly leases exist, during deer season I doubt any will want folks walking around so you're limiting yourself to finding a place where you lease all the acreage offered for yourself.

I provided a link in one of your other threads to a site to search for buying a place of your own, land for sale is listed on many other sites including this one.

No matter what, it's going to take quite a bit of time & effort on your part to find lease or find a suitable place to buy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide