Print Thread
Cleanup in isle 5... #7394385 01/03/19 02:16 PM
V
Vern1 Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
V
I've had these since mid 70's and probably sent 400-500 rounds downrange with them over the years.
Spent a couple of days cleaning, polishing, reblueing the 45 Kentucky and it's ready to play again.
The 50 cal Hawken is next...
[Linked Image]

May your 2019 be full of puffy white smoke and your target still be there when the smoke clears!

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Cleanup in isle 5... [Re: Vern1] #7404836 01/15/19 03:17 AM
C
chesterc Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Beautiful rifles!

Re: Cleanup in isle 5... [Re: Vern1] #7404924 01/15/19 05:50 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
I have the exact same rifle as the one on the bottom. CVA actually called that longer 32 inch barrel with two wedge pins and 1/66 twist, a "Mountain rifle". Mine was beautifully built from a kit by a friend possibly as long ago as you have had yours. Shot several deer with mine including my best buck ever during an Oklahoma primitive season. Vern, that set trigger is awesome aint it? Thank you for posting the picture. Brought back lots of great hunt memories with mine. In fact I am going to share one with you.

True story from over 26 years ago. Hope this never happened to you with your rifle.
I had that hunt coming up in Oklahoma. I had gone out to the woods with a hunting budding to work up the best possible load for accuracy and distance with my mountain rifle. I had set up a card table with a rolled up jacket for a rifle rest and a bucket to sit on. Between every shot I would clean the bore, run down another patched round ball, set the rifle onto the makeshift rifle rest, hit the set trigger, move the rifle to my shoulder, and fire. I think y'all know what eventually happened. I hit the wrong trigger! With the rifle on the bench a foot or more from my shoulder I pulled the wrong trigger by accident. To make matters worsee that rifle as y'all can see in Vern's picture it has a pointy curved metal butt plate. And to make it even more worse I was right at the max test load at that shot. It hit me like a baseball bat fired from a cannon. It knocked me clean off that bucket and turned me over backwards. I rolled around on the ground holding my shoulder in great agony and squalling like a coon just knocked out for the dogs. My friend was no help as he fell to his knees laughing uncontrollably and could not stop laughing for a very long time.

Re: Cleanup in isle 5... [Re: Vern1] #7406335 01/16/19 05:45 PM
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
Little off topic but this forum is kind of dead, so..

In my early 20's I got too broke to afford a lease so invested $99 in a Buck Country Arms inline BP starter kit. Decent rifle from a no-name company that is now defunct, but it had a Green Mountain barrel. I put a cheap scope on it and was confident shooting to about 125yds and spent some time hunting LBJ Grasslands. Funny thing about that place, if I was squirrel hunting I always saw deer - If I was deer hunting I never saw chit except for squirrels. 2nd year I was out there Dad needed a place to hunt so I got him a $79 low end CVA sidelock from Basspro. I sighted it in and we both went out to Decatur for opening weekend. Neither one of us saw anything except other hunters running around in orange every time you turned around. It was wet and drizzly all weekend and Sunday afternoon we get done and he says "how do we unload these things". Easy, I grabbed mine, aimed a nearby stump and got a nice "chic-boom". Dad grabs his and it goes more "chic..pfffffffft". His round ball hit the stump, bounced and rolled right back between us. He looked at me, handed me the rifle and said "I think I'm done with blackpowder". Never used it again.

Used the buck country rifle even after I got back on a lease and tagged my largest buck ever with it. Forgot to clean it at the end of one season and turned it into a fire poker. Still have Dads CVA in the safe and I still have all my gear. Hasn't been shot in 20 years but I have been getting the itch to get it back out, always enjoyed shooting those guns.

Nice guns, I always liked the look of the Kentucky rifles.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Cleanup in isle 5... [Re: Vern1] #7406825 01/17/19 03:09 AM
H
hangfire Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Thanks for the write up, enjoyed.

Re: Cleanup in isle 5... [Re: Sniper John] #7407237 01/17/19 05:46 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Sniper John
I have the exact same rifle as the one on the bottom. CVA actually called that longer 32 inch barrel with two wedge pins and 1/66 twist, a "Mountain rifle". Mine was beautifully built from a kit by a friend possibly as long ago as you have had yours. Shot several deer with mine including my best buck ever during an Oklahoma primitive season. Vern, that set trigger is awesome aint it? Thank you for posting the picture. Brought back lots of great hunt memories with mine. In fact I am going to share one with you.

True story from over 26 years ago. Hope this never happened to you with your rifle.
I had that hunt coming up in Oklahoma. I had gone out to the woods with a hunting budding to work up the best possible load for accuracy and distance with my mountain rifle. I had set up a card table with a rolled up jacket for a rifle rest and a bucket to sit on. Between every shot I would clean the bore, run down another patched round ball, set the rifle onto the makeshift rifle rest, hit the set trigger, move the rifle to my shoulder, and fire. I think y'all know what eventually happened. I hit the wrong trigger! With the rifle on the bench a foot or more from my shoulder I pulled the wrong trigger by accident. To make matters worsee that rifle as y'all can see in Vern's picture it has a pointy curved metal butt plate. And to make it even more worse I was right at the max test load at that shot. It hit me like a baseball bat fired from a cannon. It knocked me clean off that bucket and turned me over backwards. I rolled around on the ground holding my shoulder in great agony and squalling like a coon just knocked out for the dogs. My friend was no help as he fell to his knees laughing uncontrollably and could not stop laughing for a very long time.

I did about the same thing with my Hawken 50 one day.

I had been trying to kill a spike for quite some time. I had flung a couple of arrows at him with my recurve early in the year and he ducked them. A few weeks later I decided to give it a try with my hawken. I set up in a cedar bush and wait for a deer. Out walks the spike. I ease the hammer back and pull the rear trigger. As I shoulder the rifle, I lightly brushed the back of the front trigger. BOOM!!! The round ball hit the ground 20 feet from me and the spike took off into the brush. I went back to the house and added some weight to the set trigger.

Ended up killing that deer later in the season with my .308.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Cleanup in isle 5... [Re: Vern1] #7410932 01/21/19 10:08 PM
B
BGHB Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Beautiful!

Re: Cleanup in isle 5... [Re: Vern1] #7413425 01/24/19 11:52 AM
R
redhaze Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
Thanks for the memories and stories.

Re: Cleanup in isle 5... [Re: Vern1] #7414547 01/25/19 01:46 PM
V
Vern1 Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
V
When we first started playing with these, we used them and shot them a lot.

After we had played with them and tuned loads slightly, we thought we were ready.
I mostly shot lubed/patched round balls and used polypatchs later.

As I got familiar with the smoke poles, I learned to make sure and fire 1 round at the house BEFORE you go to hunt.
If you shot this "primer shot" you had a pretty good probability it was gonna fire when you pulled the trigger while hunting.

The lesson was taught to me on my very first hunt with my 45.
Before I went out, I cleaned the excess "bore preservation" oil out of barrel and removed nipple and breech plug screw and cleaned that area with a Qtip.
I was ready!!
I reinstalled plug and nipple and poured in the powder, then bumped the right side of lock area to get some powder over into channel between nipple and back of chamber.
Put in the polypatch and round ball, packed it down and put an already fired primer on nipple and closed hammer to keep it sealed.
Went to stand, put on a good cap and got comfortable waiting for daylight.

About 30 minutes after sunup, a nice 6pt strolled out - not a trophy by any means but a nice one to take with a smoke pole.
Almost as if scripted, he "struck the pose" for a perfect broad side shot.
I put the brass blade in the right place, pulled the trigger and the gun went pop, fizz....nothing but a little smoke from lock area.
As I glanced down at the lock area, the buck looked right at me, I glanced at the buck and had the hard brass buttplate about 2" from my shoulder when it went off.
While I couldn't see the deer, I am sure he was snickering as he ran off while I was cussing and coughing from the smoke cloud.

Never did get a deer with them but got plenty of pigs and 1 luck shot coyote that was stupid enough to stand and watch me as I struggled getting on him!

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Cleanup in isle 5... [Re: Vern1] #7415161 01/25/19 11:18 PM
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
Nice story. Little oil will def mess up your ignition.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide