Print Thread
4 wheeler and quail #7409362 01/20/19 02:04 PM
S
samsamthemex Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Am I legal to ride the 4 wheeler around and find quail? Then get off and flush them and shoot them? My lease partner says it is legal! Gunna call th warden after a while.

I have seen quite a bit of quail on my place while riding around. I know two areas that hold them.

Re: 4 wheeler and quail [Re: samsamthemex] #7409363 01/20/19 02:05 PM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
Been doing it for years, in South TX they ride around in trucks set up for quail hunting

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: 4 wheeler and quail [Re: samsamthemex] #7409376 01/20/19 02:19 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
No need to bother the game warden. It’s perfectly legal.

Re: 4 wheeler and quail [Re: samsamthemex] #7409410 01/20/19 03:24 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Ask for help with bird dogs. You'll get free bird dogs and free rides. Location.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: 4 wheeler and quail [Re: samsamthemex] #7409546 01/20/19 06:28 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
As long as your not shooting migratory game, not on public land, and not shooting from or over a public road, your good to go.

Re: 4 wheeler and quail [Re: bill oxner] #7410691 01/21/19 06:54 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Ask for help with bird dogs. You'll get free bird dogs and free rides. Location.

lol35

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: 4 wheeler and quail [Re: samsamthemex] #7411016 01/21/19 11:16 PM
B
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Unless you have a disability or young kids with you it’s all about boot leather

Re: 4 wheeler and quail [Re: blanked] #7411111 01/22/19 12:33 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by blanked
Unless you have a disability or young kids with you it’s all about boot leather

I beg to differ.

Martini time. Let's pick them up;

[Linked Image]

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: 4 wheeler and quail [Re: samsamthemex] #7411191 01/22/19 01:27 AM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I’d like to see somebody burning boot leather in South Texas. I’d pay to ride and watch.

Re: 4 wheeler and quail [Re: 68rustbucket] #7412103 01/23/19 12:10 AM
B
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
I’d like to see somebody burning boot leather in South Texas. I’d pay to ride and watch.

If your referring to snakes I wouldn’t rum my dogs if snakes were a concern

Re: 4 wheeler and quail [Re: Sniper John] #7430622 02/11/19 06:43 AM
W
Wheelin' Outdoorsman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Originally Posted by Sniper John
As long as your not shooting migratory game, not on public land, and not shooting from or over a public road, your good to go.

The only exception to shooting from the ATV, is if you are disabled qualified you just have to be stopped and some say motor turned off. All the other rules about not shooting from or across a road still apply.

Wheelin' Outdoorsman
TurningPOINT & Team Challenge
www.turningpointnation.org
"To develop self-esteem and confidence in the physically challenged through participation in adapted outdoor adventures"
Re: 4 wheeler and quail [Re: 68rustbucket] #7430673 02/11/19 12:39 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

Chase Blues out here in west Texas and you'll totally understand the term burning leather.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: 4 wheeler and quail [Re: samsamthemex] #7435783 02/16/19 05:19 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
the real deal is horseback

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: 4 wheeler and quail [Re: Wheelin' Outdoorsman] #7435891 02/16/19 08:14 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Wheelin' Outdoorsman

The only exception to shooting from the ATV, is if you are disabled qualified you just have to be stopped and some say motor turned off. All the other rules about not shooting from or across a road still apply.

"Lawful Means and Methods

It is LEGAL to:

hunt animals and non-migratory game birds from a motor vehicle, powerboat, sailboat, or from any other floating device within the boundaries of private property or upon private water."

Nothing about being disabled, being stopped or turning the motor off in the TP&W Code.

Re: 4 wheeler and quail [Re: samsamthemex] #7436047 02/17/19 12:38 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
ntxtrapper, He was adding to the "not on public land" reply of my question. cheers

TITLE 31 NATURAL RESOURCES AND CONSERVATION
PART 2 TEXAS PARKS AND WILDLIFE DEPARTMENT
CHAPTER 65 WILDLIFE
SUBCHAPTER H PUBLIC LANDS PROCLAMATION
RULE §65.201 Motor Vehicles
(a) It is an offense to not confine motor vehicle use to designated roads, except parking is permitted on the shoulder of or immediately adjacent to designated roads, and as provided for a disabled person or for a person directly assisting a disabled person.
(b) It is unlawful to hunt any wildlife resource from a motor vehicle, motor-driven land conveyance, or possess a loaded firearm in or on the vehicle, except as provided for a disabled person.
(c) A disabled person may possess a loaded firearm in or on a motor vehicle and may hunt from a motor vehicle except only paraplegics and single or double amputees of legs may hunt migratory birds from a motor vehicle, provided the motor vehicle is not in motion, the engine is not running, and the motor vehicle is not located on a designated road, designated vehicle parking area, or designated campground.

(d) Except as authorized for specific areas and time periods by order of the executive director, or by written permission of the hunt supervisor or area manager, it is an offense for an individual other than a disabled person or a person directly assisting a disabled person to operate an off-road vehicle on public hunting lands. A person who uses an off-road vehicle to directly assist a disabled person under the provisions of this subchapter may not use the off-road vehicle to travel beyond normal speaking distance of the disabled person:
(1) except to return to an authorized road or trail; or
(2) unless such use is authorized by the department on the unit of public hunting lands at that time.
(e) The provisions of Chapter 59, Subchapter J of this title (relating to Off-Highway Vehicle Trail and Recreational Area Program) do not apply to a disabled person or a person assisting a disabled person who is participating in department-sanctioned activities on public hunting lands.

The exception for migratory game part in TPWD code is there because of Title 50, code of Federal Regulations, Part 20 and would apply to both private and public land. .....except that paraplegics and single or double amputees of the legs may take from any stationary motor vehicle or stationary motor-driven land conveyance. "Paraplegic" means an individual afflicted with paralysis of the lower half of the body with involvement of both legs, usually due to disease of or injury to the spinal cord

Re: 4 wheeler and quail [Re: Sniper John] #7437047 02/18/19 06:03 AM
W
Wheelin' Outdoorsman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
ntxtrapper, He was adding to the "not on public land" reply of my question. cheers

TITLE 31 NATURAL RESOURCES AND CONSERVATION
PART 2 TEXAS PARKS AND WILDLIFE DEPARTMENT
CHAPTER 65 WILDLIFE
SUBCHAPTER H PUBLIC LANDS PROCLAMATION
RULE §65.201 Motor Vehicles
(a) It is an offense to not confine motor vehicle use to designated roads, except parking is permitted on the shoulder of or immediately adjacent to designated roads, and as provided for a disabled person or for a person directly assisting a disabled person.
(b) It is unlawful to hunt any wildlife resource from a motor vehicle, motor-driven land conveyance, or possess a loaded firearm in or on the vehicle, except as provided for a disabled person.
(c) A disabled person may possess a loaded firearm in or on a motor vehicle and may hunt from a motor vehicle except only paraplegics and single or double amputees of legs may hunt migratory birds from a motor vehicle, provided the motor vehicle is not in motion, the engine is not running, and the motor vehicle is not located on a designated road, designated vehicle parking area, or designated campground.

(d) Except as authorized for specific areas and time periods by order of the executive director, or by written permission of the hunt supervisor or area manager, it is an offense for an individual other than a disabled person or a person directly assisting a disabled person to operate an off-road vehicle on public hunting lands. A person who uses an off-road vehicle to directly assist a disabled person under the provisions of this subchapter may not use the off-road vehicle to travel beyond normal speaking distance of the disabled person:
(1) except to return to an authorized road or trail; or
(2) unless such use is authorized by the department on the unit of public hunting lands at that time.
(e) The provisions of Chapter 59, Subchapter J of this title (relating to Off-Highway Vehicle Trail and Recreational Area Program) do not apply to a disabled person or a person assisting a disabled person who is participating in department-sanctioned activities on public hunting lands.

The exception for migratory game part in TPWD code is there because of Title 50, code of Federal Regulations, Part 20 and would apply to both private and public land. .....except that paraplegics and single or double amputees of the legs may take from any stationary motor vehicle or stationary motor-driven land conveyance. "Paraplegic" means an individual afflicted with paralysis of the lower half of the body with involvement of both legs, usually due to disease of or injury to the spinal cord

Thank you Sniper John. That was my point.

Wheelin' Outdoorsman
TurningPOINT & Team Challenge
www.turningpointnation.org
"To develop self-esteem and confidence in the physically challenged through participation in adapted outdoor adventures"
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide