Print Thread
Does “Looking for a lease” work? #7408376 01/18/19 08:27 PM
C
CGB Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
I see a lot of these ads looking for leases every year. Anybody ever get on a lease by posting one? Or get hunters from one?

Re: Does “Looking for a lease” work? [Re: CGB] #7408385 01/18/19 08:35 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I am lease boss for a place and we have picked up multiple members/leads over the past 7-8 years from posting on leasehunter.com and here

You can't fix stupid
Re: Does “Looking for a lease” work? [Re: CGB] #7408406 01/18/19 08:59 PM
C
CGB Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
Have you picked up hunters by responding to a “Looking for a lease ad”? Or just by posting your lease on sites and waiting for hunters to contact you?

Re: Does “Looking for a lease” work? [Re: CGB] #7408420 01/18/19 09:15 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Looking for a lease seems much like looking for a job. That is, you have better luck finding a new lease when you already have one. It's the relationships you have within your current landowner circle that can make you aware of other lease opportunities.

Case in point. I went with a landowner earlier this week to get hay from someone whom he and I had never met. That meeting and resulting conversation could have opened up access to an entirely new circle of landowners.

As with finding a job, networking is the key to success.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Does “Looking for a lease” work? [Re: CGB] #7408430 01/18/19 09:34 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
My info is decades old and I have not used it in over 30 years. But mostly we found our leases by hitting the feed stores in rural area where we wanting a lease. Sometimes a lease was found by simply talking to other hunters in area cafes or having coffee at a local Dairy Queen.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Does “Looking for a lease” work? [Re: CGB] #7408447 01/18/19 10:05 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by CGB
Have you picked up hunters by responding to a “Looking for a lease ad”? Or just by posting your lease on sites and waiting for hunters to contact you?

Posting on sites and wait for contact -

You can't fix stupid
Re: Does “Looking for a lease” work? [Re: CGB] #7408679 01/19/19 04:25 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
For good to great leases? No, or not often.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Does “Looking for a lease” work? [Re: CGB] #7408717 01/19/19 12:43 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
If your attitude is “we are kinda lookin for a lease, not really sure how many guys we have in our group, lemme know whatcha got (because I’m too lazy to post ANY INFO on what we might want), then I’ll call my [censored] buddies & we will pick apart your management plan, lament the fact that it may not have every single feature some of us want, & I’ll call you back in a few weeks (or maybe not) & letcha know, then we will gradually gather the money necessary over the course of a few weeks/months”, then no, you prolly won’t find a lease.

If you have your groups needs in mind (general location, acreage, price, etc), can speak for the entire group, & will come look at a lease that day, with cash in hand, yes you might get a lease.

Last edited by maximus_flavius; 01/19/19 12:43 PM.
Re: Does “Looking for a lease” work? [Re: CGB] #7408730 01/19/19 01:38 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Not if you wait too long. Gotta agree about Dairy Queen. Coffee shops and posting at feed stores would be my suggestion.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Does “Looking for a lease” work? [Re: CGB] #7408786 01/19/19 02:47 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
If the"" looking for a lease" post is the first ever for that person, I usually ignore it and move on. I've added lease members after looking at their previous posts. You can get a feeling about a person by their postings.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Does “Looking for a lease” work? [Re: CGB] #7408816 01/19/19 03:48 PM
W
White Falcon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
Yes!! That is how I got to hunt where I do. Owner dosn't hunt and supply's feeders and 1/2 the corn. The cost, Nothing ! I do help with some minor labor from time to time. Nothing much.

Re: Does “Looking for a lease” work? [Re: White Falcon] #7408918 01/19/19 06:09 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by White Falcon
Yes!! That is how I got to hunt where I do. Owner dosn't hunt and supply's feeders and 1/2 the corn. The cost, Nothing ! I do help with some minor labor from time to time. Nothing much.

So-called "Absent" landowners who don't routinely check on their property can be eager to offer you a lease so they have someone doing it for them. Just don't be surprised if you find someone already hunting the place and who tries to bluff you away by claiming they own it.

Now, with these comments in mind, another tactic is to simply ride the roads and look for prospective tracts where hunters don't appear to be present. Next, go to the County Tax Office and lookup the name and telephone number of whoever pays the taxes on it. The county where I hunt most often has a computer where you can do this yourself. I've done it just to see who owns specific properties in the area for various reasons. Of course it helps if you're someone who reads maps and follows diagrams well. Even if the person you speak with isn't leasing, he/she might be able to refer you to another landowner who might be.

Again, it's all about your ability to network with as many people as your time permits.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 01/19/19 06:20 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Does “Looking for a lease” work? [Re: CGB] #7408941 01/19/19 06:38 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I have a good lease I've been on for five seasons but I'm always looking for a lease. I've posted the "looking for a lease" before and got some responses. Even looked at several that way. However most of them were places where there was an established group who got all the considerations, like access to power for their campers or use of the camp house and you had to bring a generator, etc, or they were places that couldn't keep people because of drama or lack of game.
A good lease is not always easy to find and sometimes you have to do a little work to make it stay a good lease and improve it. That said that work can be rewarding in itself.
BTW I'm looking for one every season. If I find one that suits me better than my current one I'd take it. Even if that means I pay for two for a year so I can keep the new one.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Does “Looking for a lease” work? [Re: passthru] #7409085 01/19/19 11:00 PM
C
CGB Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted by passthru
I have a good lease I've been on for five seasons but I'm always looking for a lease. I've posted the "looking for a lease" before and got some responses. Even looked at several that way. However most of them were places where there was an established group who got all the considerations, like access to power for their campers or use of the camp house and you had to bring a generator, etc, or they were places that couldn't keep people because of drama or lack of game.
A good lease is not always easy to find and sometimes you have to do a little work to make it stay a good lease and improve it. That said that work can be rewarding in itself.
BTW I'm looking for one every season. If I find one that suits me better than my current one I'd take it. Even if that means I pay for two for a year so I can keep the new one.

We have a lot in common. I’m on a good lease going on year five. I also own a small place in Throckmorton County. I’m happy with what I have but I’m somewhat addicted to looking for leases. I look at Craigslist, Facebook, THF and TBH every day. Not just for leases but hunting stuff in general.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide