Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bore Cleaning? #7408179 01/18/19 04:28 PM
T
titan2232 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
What's everyone's opinion on bore cleaning?

1.) How often
2.) Just oil followed by a dry patch
3.) A certain amount of rounds before cleaning
4.) Use a solvent and if so what brand/type

I have been running two patches with 3-1 oil through the bores of my guns followed by 4-5 dry patches, but wondering if I'm doing enough. Thoughts?

Re: Bore Cleaning? [Re: titan2232] #7408204 01/18/19 04:49 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
You're not. I use Butch's Bore Shine for powder solvent however, if the bore has a good deal of copper fowling, you may want to use a copper solvent first. You'll know if it does when you keep getting patches with blue on them after using powder solvent.

After using a copper solvent, I alternate between a wire brush with Butch's solvent, then white cotton patches until I'm seeing no more blue on the patches. Then back through with Butch's and wire brush, repeat with clean patches until they come out white. If not, repeat the wire brush and solvent and the white patches. If I'm doing this during the season, which I often do, I use no oil in the bore. After the season and a complete cleaning, I will run one patch with some oil on it down the bore. Then more clean patches until they come out dry.

It takes time to get the bore of your rifle really, really clean. But it pays off in barrel life and accuracy.

I'm sure others use different techniques and products, but this has always worked for me.

p.s. - Don't use the screw together metal rods. They can damage your bore. I only use one-piece, plastic coated metal rods I buy from Sinclair International.

p.s. 2 - The fabric bore snakes made by Outers and others are great for a quick field cleaning after several shots.

Re: Bore Cleaning? [Re: titan2232] #7408219 01/18/19 05:00 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
I let the gun tell me when it is time, accuracy will drop off. Some rifles that may be 30 shots while others are good for hundreds of shots. If I am storing a rifle for a long time then clean it and apply coat of Crrosion-X then dry patches until they are dry. For powder fouling I use Butches and for copper Outters Foam.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Bore Cleaning? [Re: titan2232] #7408240 01/18/19 05:41 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I shoot till accuracy is degraded then clean. To clean I foam the barrel with a foaming bore cleaner per the instructions, brush with a nylon brush and patch out till clean. Sometimes I repeat the foaming a couple times. When done I run an oiled patch and am done.

If storing will wipe the metal parts down with an oiled patch.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Bore Cleaning? [Re: titan2232] #7408314 01/18/19 07:17 PM
T
titan2232 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Thanks for the info. I have a few older rifles that won't group so I'm thinking of starting with one of those.

Re: Bore Cleaning? [Re: titan2232] #7408339 01/18/19 07:44 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
I bought my Tikka CTR, put about 40 rounds through it, took it to Jason's for about 60 more. This was the result after 100 rounds:

[Linked Image]

Jason said to clean it with Gunslick:

[img]https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/b4...ht=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF[/img]

This was the result:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Bore Cleaning? [Re: titan2232] #7408360 01/18/19 08:06 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quitshootin is dead on. At some point and some number of rounds, they need a good cleaning. Some dirty bores will just cause the groups to open up a bit, and some (like my Devil 223) will start printing shotgun patterns (that might be a slight exaggeration, but the groups open way up). The more a fellow shoots a certain rifle, the more he’ll recognize when it’s time to clean.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Bore Cleaning? [Re: titan2232] #7408364 01/18/19 08:11 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I prefer a nylon brush because they're easier on the bore, and because I clean my barrels after every use so they don't have years of powder build up. I also avoid brass brushes and cleaning jags to avoid false positives when using copper cleaners. Some have even said that if you use the right cleaners and give them time to work, a brush is never necessary to clean a barrel.

Keep in mind it's not the powder residue that is most likely to damage a barrel but the moisture it collects and adheres to metal surfaces. I'm looking for barrels that produce an accurate and consistent shot through a clean, cold barrel throughout the life of the rifle without any need for fouling. I want no part of a rifle barrel that needs several shots in order to "settle down" before being able to shoot a tight group. I want a rifle that I can take from the safe in clean condition and know it's capable of punching a hole in a quarter at 100 yards with the first shot on Opening Day Morning.

My approach to removing copper might be less aggressive than others because I want to avoid damaging the barrel. I always use a general use solvent that's touted as being able to remove copper, but will make occasional use of one that's made specifically for removing it.

I never let a multi-piece rod near any barrel because the uneven edges at where the joints meet can be very destructive.

My last step is to run a patch coated with Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner and Lube through the bore. It's a dry lube that doesn't leave behind an oily residue that can impact accuracy and yet is outstanding at providing long-term rust protection.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 01/18/19 08:33 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Bore Cleaning? [Re: titan2232] #7408380 01/18/19 08:28 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
NO OIL!!!!!!! Here is my exact cleaning method for almost every rifle I own. I made this post years ago and it still holds true. Oil will slick up the inside of the barrel and not allow the bullet to have any kind of consistency.

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7317502/1

Last edited by ChadTRG42; 01/18/19 08:29 PM.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Bore Cleaning? [Re: titan2232] #7408395 01/18/19 08:51 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I use Hoppes # 9. When groups start to open up I give it a good cleaning. One piece firberglass rod, nylon brush. Brass jag. I don't have any that copper up bad but if I'm seeing blue on the patches I use hoppes copper solvent. When I'm done I put a drop of oil on a patch and run it down the bore followed by however many it takes to get dry patches. I also give it a good cleaning if I've had it out in the rain. Two foulers will usually get me back to shooting to their potential. If for whatever reason I clean the bore during season, I re-foul and verify it is shooting like I expect it to before hunting with it again.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 01/18/19 08:55 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Bore Cleaning? [Re: titan2232] #7408492 01/18/19 11:10 PM
T
titan2232 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
This was the first 4 shot group with final adjustment back in November for my new Browning Hell's Canyon (Hornady 147 ELD-M). Plan on getting some loads from Chad in the 143 ELD-X soon and hoping it's a good hunting round.

[Linked Image]

I don't need to worry about cleaning this gun just yet, but what about a 50 year old Win Model 70 .243 that likely hasn't been bore cleaned in 20 years? Guess I'll go to cleaning and see how bad it is

Re: Bore Cleaning? [Re: titan2232] #7408534 01/19/19 12:14 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted by titan2232
This was the first 4 shot group with final adjustment back in November for my new Browning Hell's Canyon (Hornady 147 ELD-M). Plan on getting some loads from Chad in the 143 ELD-X soon and hoping it's a good hunting round

I don't need to worry about cleaning this gun just yet, but what about a 50 year old Win Model 70 .243 that likely hasn't been bore cleaned in 20 years? Guess I'll go to cleaning and see how bad it is

the 264 Win mag I have was the worst copper fouled barrel I have ever seen. Tried the copper solvent for days then borrowed one of the Foulout electrolysis copper cleaners, took 3 times with it to get it cleaned out. The first two the rod was coated with copper and had little copper balls poured out of the barrel. Who I got it from in a trade I would bet it had never been cleaned.

Re: Bore Cleaning? [Re: titan2232] #7408725 01/19/19 01:16 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
ALWAYS use a good bore guide!!!!

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Bore Cleaning? [Re: titan2232] #7408734 01/19/19 01:47 PM
T
titan2232 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Anyone recommend a good complete cleaning kit?

Re: Bore Cleaning? [Re: snake oil] #7408749 01/19/19 02:04 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by snake oil
ALWAYS use a good bore guide!!!!

True! I have nylon bore guides for all my rifles/calibers. Sinclair makes the ones I use,

Re: Bore Cleaning? [Re: titan2232] #7408901 01/19/19 05:45 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Every cleaning kit that I've ever seen came with a three-piece cleaning rod that I would never use unless the bore needed to be cleared in a must situation. The edges of the pieces where they screw together can scour and damage the rifling in a barrel.

I would suggest building your own cleaning kit, starting with a one-piece cleaning rod that doesn't require a screw-on adapter for attaching jag tips and brushes. I have a one-piece aluminum rod but might suggest one made from an even better material. Academy and most gun stores that sell cleaning products should have them.

Next, concentrate on getting individual cleaning products formulated for removing powder residue or copper. You're going to get far more product for your money that what comes in those cleaning kits. I follow the belief of those who say it's best to use one solvent to remove powder residue and another specifically formulated for removing copper. You won't need to remove copper as often as powder and copper cleaners could be a little harder on the barrel. Next, you'll want to add a few nylon brushes in the calibers you shoot and that will match the threads on your cleaning rod. I can't remember if it's Hoppe's or Outer's products but one of them use threads that only match their jags and brushes, while everyone else follows the same standard. Perhaps someone can confirm which one of them use their own thread standard. Next, go to the Fishing Section at Walmart or Academy and pick one or more of those small plastic boxes made for hooks and lures and use them to store your jags and brushes, putting those for specific calibers in separate compartments. Then as a final step, check Walmart for a plastic box and lid to hold it all, the exception being the one-piece rod. You should be able to find one about the same size and share as a shoe box that should hold most of the stuff, the exception being spray cans of oils and cleaners you might collect as well.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention patches. I have found that not all patches are the same, with some being more easily frayed at the ends. While Hoppe's patches are notorious for this, Outer's patches are not. I look for a patch that appears to be made from true cotton, which is what you'll use if you prefer to save money and make your own patches.

I'm sure there are other items that I failed to mention, like long Q-tips and hand brushes for getting old powder build-up out of tight spots. This is where I like to use a good spray cleaner to address such hard to reach places.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Texas Dan; 01/19/19 06:33 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Bore Cleaning? [Re: titan2232] #7409103 01/19/19 11:19 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I agree with most of Texas Dan's post. I'd add a couple of things to it.
1) if you have more than one or two (or even more than 5 or 6) different calibers, go for a larger tackle box. More room in the bottom for patches (I like Pro-Shot patches myself) and cleaner(s) and plenty of little trays to put each caliber's jag and brush in.
2) Don't just go with one cleaner for powder and one for copper. Some of my rifles come clean using the same stuff over and over. Others it seems I need to go all the way to the 27% ammonia and rubbing alcohol (to negate the ammonia)
3) Get two, or even three one-piece rods based upon caliber.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: Bore Cleaning? [Re: titan2232] #7409234 01/20/19 02:12 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I use this stuff https://www.brownells.com/gun-clean...nts/ed-s-red-bore-cleaner-prod19936.aspx
But I make it at home using these instructions. https://www.vkhgc.ca/documents/Ed%20gun%20cleaner.pdf

I question the jointed cleaning rods damaging a rifle bore, the cleaning rods I have seen are made from aluminum, if they can damage the rifling, then your metal in your rifle literally sucks. The aluminum that is used is too soft to mess up a rifle bore, that is why they are made of aluminum, same goes for the copper/bronze bore brushes.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Bore Cleaning? [Re: dogcatcher] #7409254 01/20/19 03:05 AM
llbts1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Good points dogcatcher. I have wondered about that as well.

Re: Bore Cleaning? [Re: titan2232] #7409304 01/20/19 06:40 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Here is the formula for Ed's Red Bore Cleaner. https://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php?topic=61.0

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Bore Cleaning? [Re: titan2232] #7409514 01/20/19 05:50 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
yawn

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Bore Cleaning? [Re: titan2232] #7410284 01/21/19 02:28 PM
T
titan2232 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Anyone have experience with FrogLube Solvent bore cleaner? How powerful for removing copper?

Re: Bore Cleaning? [Re: Texas Dan] #7464341 03/21/19 04:52 PM
B
BGHB Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

Every cleaning kit that I've ever seen came with a three-piece cleaning rod that I would never use unless the bore needed to be cleared in a must situation. The edges of the pieces where they screw together can scour and damage the rifling in a barrel.

I would suggest building your own cleaning kit, starting with a one-piece cleaning rod that doesn't require a screw-on adapter for attaching jag tips and brushes. I have a one-piece aluminum rod but might suggest one made from an even better material. Academy and most gun stores that sell cleaning products should have them.

Next, concentrate on getting individual cleaning products formulated for removing powder residue or copper. You're going to get far more product for your money that what comes in those cleaning kits. I follow the belief of those who say it's best to use one solvent to remove powder residue and another specifically formulated for removing copper. You won't need to remove copper as often as powder and copper cleaners could be a little harder on the barrel. Next, you'll want to add a few nylon brushes in the calibers you shoot and that will match the threads on your cleaning rod. I can't remember if it's Hoppe's or Outer's products but one of them use threads that only match their jags and brushes, while everyone else follows the same standard. Perhaps someone can confirm which one of them use their own thread standard. Next, go to the Fishing Section at Walmart or Academy and pick one or more of those small plastic boxes made for hooks and lures and use them to store your jags and brushes, putting those for specific calibers in separate compartments. Then as a final step, check Walmart for a plastic box and lid to hold it all, the exception being the one-piece rod. You should be able to find one about the same size and share as a shoe box that should hold most of the stuff, the exception being spray cans of oils and cleaners you might collect as well.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention patches. I have found that not all patches are the same, with some being more easily frayed at the ends. While Hoppe's patches are notorious for this, Outer's patches are not. I look for a patch that appears to be made from true cotton, which is what you'll use if you prefer to save money and make your own patches.

I'm sure there are other items that I failed to mention, like long Q-tips and hand brushes for getting old powder build-up out of tight spots. This is where I like to use a good spray cleaner to address such hard to reach places.

[Linked Image]

That's a very good list, especially with regards to using the one piece cleaning rod and the boxes to hold all the individual pieces. The fishing tackle box is a nice touch. The only thing I might add to your list is a gun cleaning mat. This is obviously less important if you're doing your cleaning at the range or in a workshop. However, a mat is more important if you're cleaning your firearm at home and don't want to damage the surface underneath it or afield in more primitive conditions. I personally do a lot of cleaning while I'm afield and the mat below serves my needs very well.
https://sageandbraker.com/blogs/news/gun-cleaning-mat

Re: Bore Cleaning? [Re: titan2232] #7469108 03/26/19 03:20 AM
B
BigLou Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Titan,
One of the best purchases I have made in a long time was a very cheap bore camera/scope. Found it on amazon for less than $30. It’s connects by WiFi to your phone.

Was truly eye-opening to be able to visualize the copper fouling in the bore. I did a test of three different popular solvents on a couple of old, very dirty rifles. Was surprised to find very little difference in the performance of each solvent. What really made a difference was elbow grease with a nylon brush. Interestingly, the portions of the bore nearest the breech and muzzle got clean pretty quickly. The mid section of the bore took the most scrubbing. Not sure why..

Re: Bore Cleaning? [Re: BigLou] #7469223 03/26/19 12:09 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted by BigLou
Titan,
One of the best purchases I have made in a long time was a very cheap bore camera/scope. Found it on amazon for less than $30. It’s connects by WiFi to your phone.

Was truly eye-opening to be able to visualize the copper fouling in the bore. I did a test of three different popular solvents on a couple of old, very dirty rifles. Was surprised to find very little difference in the performance of each solvent. What really made a difference was elbow grease with a nylon brush. Interestingly, the portions of the bore nearest the breech and muzzle got clean pretty quickly. The mid section of the bore took the most scrubbing. Not sure why..

I am not sure why but suspect near the bore are subjected to higher pressure, heat with less speed than further down the barrel. Near the muzzle the pressure is less, and heat is less and as the bullet has picked up most of its speed there is less time under the heat and pressure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide