Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,695
Posts9,727,872
Members87,033
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Dead on his feet? Poor shot Placement? Pigs are Tough? Is 223 enough umph for pig hunting? ALL THE ABOVE! #7408299 01/18/19 07:00 PM
P
Pig_Popper Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
P
NOT MY VIDEO

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Dead on his feet? Poor shot Placement? Pigs are Tough? Is 223 enough umph for pig hunting? ALL THE ABOVE! [Re: Pig_Popper] #7408338 01/18/19 07:43 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
thar be only one didnt recover using cheep Tul-Ammo 55gr fmj & hps... 223 tis small cal. small entry & exit most blood stay in body cavity... My shots been close range...NO issues....
ninja it will killll...
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Dead on his feet? Poor shot Placement? Pigs are Tough? Is 223 enough umph for pig hunting? ALL THE ABOVE! [Re: 1860.colt] #7408342 01/18/19 07:45 PM
P
Pig_Popper Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by colt.45
thar be only one didnt recover using cheep Tul-Ammo 55gr fmj & hps... 223 tis small cal. small entry & exit most blood stay in body cavity... My shots been close range...NO issues....
ninja it will killll...
flag

Usum'ed thatdup purfectlee

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Dead on his feet? Poor shot Placement? Pigs are Tough? Is 223 enough umph for pig hunting? ALL THE ABOVE! [Re: Pig_Popper] #7408344 01/18/19 07:47 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I have dropped many hogs with 64 grain power points out to 200 yards with a AR-15. No different than any other bullet hit something important they tend to stop, ,hit something not important, they keep living.

Re: Dead on his feet? Poor shot Placement? Pigs are Tough? Is 223 enough umph for pig hunting? ALL THE ABOVE! [Re: Pig_Popper] #7408361 01/18/19 08:06 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted by Pig_Popper
Originally Posted by colt.45
ninja it will killll...
flag

Usum'ed thatdup purfectlee

scratch as pappy say's : " When ya handed the M-16 in battle, the enemy dont give a damn if ya mispell kull... flag "
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Dead on his feet? Poor shot Placement? Pigs are Tough? Is 223 enough umph for pig hunting? ALL THE ABOVE! [Re: 1860.colt] #7408377 01/18/19 08:27 PM
D
Dennis in Ft Worth Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
The boy's a little slow
with follow-up shots, that is
223 or 458, don't matter

You're alone and he's on all fours
shoot some more, until he ain't
and not worry about changin' yer drawers

[Linked Image]
Me and ol' RUGER, 74 years and still shooting.
Re: Dead on his feet? Poor shot Placement? Pigs are Tough? Is 223 enough umph for pig hunting? ALL THE ABOVE! [Re: Pig_Popper] #7408392 01/18/19 08:46 PM
H
hogcaller10 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
I saw a whole bunch of poorly placed shots! bang

Re: Dead on his feet? Poor shot Placement? Pigs are Tough? Is 223 enough umph for pig hunting? ALL THE ABOVE! [Re: Pig_Popper] #7408397 01/18/19 08:54 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Here is the sort of analysis I do for my own vids in terms of shot placement. There is some critique on other aspects as well. Excellent learning experience, but I don't know that Mailman29680 has learned from his experience.

Claims 2 head shots in under an hours as if "head" shots are necessarily lethal. If you don't do significant damage to the CNS, expect the hog to run. His hogs ran.

Shot #1 on 1st hog is the first "head shot" was to the head, I will grant you that, looks like it scraped by the left lower jaw well under the left eye. The lower jaw is part of the head, but doesn't have anything to do with the brain. The hog ran off. Maybe busted out teeth and maybe made it into the neck, maybe not. Shot was not lethal or at least not immediately lethal.

THIS IS BAD SHOT PLACEMENT FOR A HEAD SHOT

Later he finds a hog he claims in the same hog. I don't believe it. Left side views of the hog show no damage or indication of damage. 2nd hog appears to have a longer and much more bushy tail (seen later in video).

Shot #1 on 2nd hog is UNDER, well under the right eye, well below the brain, well lateral of the brain stem. Non-lethal or non-immediately lethal shot. Upper or lower jaw/teeth damage likely. Bullet probably didn't make it into neck or not into vital portion of neck.

THIS IS BAD SHOT PLACEMENT FOR A HEAD SHOT

Hog falls, it gets up, and he lets it run around for a while. Why? In my estimation, he spend too much time admiring his shot and not trying to kill the hog.

Shot #2 on 2nd hog is severely quartering away shot into left side of a hog down for the 3rd(?) time. Again, he lets the hog get up and run around and he wastes time gawking and talking instead of shooting.

Shot #3 on 2nd hog is very low on left side, possible under the hog. Should have been through and through that close and that low but now blood shown on right side.

Shot #4 on 2nd hog is along the right side and appears to completely miss right hip.

Shot #5 on 2nd hog is along the right side and appears to completely miss right hip.

Shot #6 on 2nd hog is along the right side and image is too blurry but appears to be far back again.

SUMMARY
Hog #1 shot in jaw, non-lethal or at least not immediately lethal shot. Hog will probably have trouble eating.

Hog #2 show well below eye, non-lethal or at least not immediately lethal shot. How will have trouble eating. 2nd shot on 2nd shot was severely quartering away, may not have made it into vitals. Other shots were rubbish.

There is nothing magical, mystical, or particularly amazing about the fact that he lost both of these hogs. It all comes down to poor shot placement coupled with (but not the cause) of a less powerful caliber. Had he taken the time to properly place either of the first two shots, these hogs would be DRT. I think had he been shooting something more substantial, such as .308 or .45-70, the result would have been different. Using lesser calibers is fine, but more precision is sometimes necessary to make them work as well as larger calibers.

-----

People sometimes wonder why I will continue shooting a hog that has been wounded but not downed. Often the hog is mortally wounded, but without CNS damage, the hog is able to run and does run, all the while adrenaline has entered the system. It may take additional shots to break down the hog mechanically or to hit the CNS to finally stop the hog. Failure to stop the hog quickly may result in a hog that runs long distance (at least long enough to make it into brush and be lost). The guy in the video lost two hogs.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 01/18/19 08:55 PM.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Dead on his feet? Poor shot Placement? Pigs are Tough? Is 223 enough umph for pig hunting? ALL THE ABOVE! [Re: hogcaller10] #7408424 01/18/19 09:20 PM
C
chalet Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted by hogcaller10
I saw a whole bunch of poorly placed shots! bang

Yea, "multiple head shots" is a stretch. He must not know the fundamental, "if its movin, keep shootin," rule of pig hunting. I like how shot #3 when the hog was on in his side pizzed him off enough to get back up and start running around again.

Nice entertaining video though.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Dead on his feet? Poor shot Placement? Pigs are Tough? Is 223 enough umph for pig hunting? ALL THE ABOVE! [Re: Pig_Popper] #7408433 01/18/19 09:44 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Back when I used a bolt-action rifle I twice shot hogs directly through the heart. In both cases they pumped blood and left a trail that looked like a 4-year-old had been given a can of red spray paint. That permitted me to find them, but one ran a zig-zag pattern through brush and traveled at least 150 yards. The other ran through more open areas and made it 325 yards before it dropped.

Both were mortal wounds, but neither hit the CNS and the hogs ran quite a distance.

I liked my bolt-action rifle. It was light weight, accurate, and it spit out deadly .30 caliber bullets. But even those bullets wouldn't always put a hog down immediately, and it didn't offer fast follow-up shots, so I eventually went over to the dark side and now use AR pattern firearms.

I agree that the shooter in the video above missed several opportunities to finish off the second hog for sure.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Dead on his feet? Poor shot Placement? Pigs are Tough? Is 223 enough umph for pig hunting? ALL THE ABOVE! [Re: Pig_Popper] #7408825 01/19/19 03:53 PM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
ATN prostaffers are terrible shooters

Re: Dead on his feet? Poor shot Placement? Pigs are Tough? Is 223 enough umph for pig hunting? ALL THE ABOVE! [Re: Pig_Popper] #7408863 01/19/19 04:57 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
1. It looked to me like he clearly missed a few times

2. I wouldn’t exactly call that a “head shot”

3. I don’t think there’s any way in hail to say that was the same hog for sure

Re: Dead on his feet? Poor shot Placement? Pigs are Tough? Is 223 enough umph for pig hunting? ALL THE ABOVE! [Re: Pig_Popper] #7408970 01/19/19 07:42 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Two things right off the bat.

Extremely poor shot placement and where was the 'Charge'. I only saw a wounded, disoriented hog running every direction it could.

When you watch videos of people who know hogs..and know what they are doing, look for the following:

1. Immediately after the first shot you will see the scope reticle follow the hog (whether it drops or runs). This is in preparation for a quick follow up shot (if needed). It is a quick assessment of whether the hog is anchored or not.

2. When shooting at groups...you will want to move on to other targets as quickly as possible, that is understood. But no additional animals should be targeted until the first one is adequately disabled. The time to do that is immediately after the first shot.

3. When its time to shoot...SHOOT. Don't waste time gawking or waiting for the hog to give you more 'clues'.

4. Claims of hogs 'Charging'. Oh please.....!

When hogs 'charge' they know exactly where you are and come straight for you, there is no mistaking it.

When you see a hog spinning around, running zig-zags or a big button hook and it happens to come your way, that is NOT a charge. It simply doesn't know where the heck it is going.

Instead of unloading your last ten panicked shots at the animal in the last 15 yds. just step out of the way...you'll be fine and won't look an idiot for claiming the hog charged you.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Dead on his feet? Poor shot Placement? Pigs are Tough? Is 223 enough umph for pig hunting? ALL THE ABOVE! [Re: Pig_Popper] #7409528 01/20/19 06:05 PM
B
Bacon8tor Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Yeah it looked like a bunch of poorly placed shots which is understandable given the scope he was using.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide