Forums46
Topics537,942
Posts9,730,888
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Possible Solar Farm....what's your take? [Re: Txduckman] #7406168 01/16/19 02:48 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by Txduckman

They don't build these on $5,000 an acre land. Them tell them you will lease your new land out to them. I grin I don't understand why these guys don't buy their own land sometimes. Do they have no capital yet?

They're trying to push through one in Van Zandt county that is most certainly on 5K/acre land.

They don't buy their own land because at the end of the day - unless you've got a bullet proof contract (which don't exist) - the landowner will be left holding the bag when they go belly up. Always. The solar industry is a scam IMO. Hugely subsidized by tax payers, both local (county) and federal.

Re: Possible Solar Farm....what's your take? [Re: Txduckman] #7406212 01/16/19 03:49 PM
H
hogcaller10 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
How many acres of the 1,000 acres? All of it and only yours will be used and not the neighbors? Could be why they said not to let them know. Would be nice to only use part of your place and some of the neighbors and you all get on the same page and still have huntable land left. My in-laws leased their land, several thousand acres to a now defunct wind company between Amarillo and Canyon. Didn't receive anything but pipe dreams. They signed to take ownership % which resulted in nothing. I recommended taking the lease bonus... Not sure they would have saw that though. I suppose this solar deal is probably more realistic since it requires less land overall.

If they are serious with the deal, make sure you are getting the best deal. You can easily buy another place with that kind of money. They don't build these on $5,000 an acre land. Them tell them you will lease your new land out to them. I grin I don't understand why these guys don't buy their own land sometimes. Do they have no capital yet?

They say they want to lease it all, but I'm sure this is just the initial $10 per acre for surveying and such.

Re: Possible Solar Farm....what's your take? [Re: Cochise] #7406248 01/16/19 04:18 PM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Cochise
I would tell them to kick rocks.

The residents of Van Zandt County are in a big fight, about to be a legal one, to stop one a little bit bigger from going in our county.

How long is the lease? Contrary to popular belief there are a lot of cons associated with solar. Pretty big environmental impacts that aren't well studied.

I'd rather have 10,000 acres of windmills than 10 acres of solar.

Here is a little information

eek2 Where....Do you know the location???

Make America Great Again

Re: Possible Solar Farm....what's your take? [Re: hogcaller10] #7406298 01/16/19 04:58 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C

Re: Possible Solar Farm....what's your take? [Re: Cochise] #7406547 01/16/19 09:38 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Wow. That’s butt hurt.

One grow yard, preconditioning, or even Dairy is more polluting.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Possible Solar Farm....what's your take? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7406564 01/16/19 10:00 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Wow. That’s butt hurt.

Big difference in population density in E TX vs W TX. I don't blame people for being pissed off. Decent amount of homes in the area and a few pretty nice ones. I looked at a property for sale that would have bordered this late 2017; passed for other reasons. Would have been quite pissed if I bought a property and a year later I'm bordered on two sides by 400,000 solar panels.

Re: Possible Solar Farm....what's your take? [Re: hogcaller10] #7406598 01/16/19 10:51 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
The negativity has more to do with surrounding LO's drumming up support to control what other LO's do with or on their own property.
This is a slippery slope with broad consequences, if a group or even a few neighboring LO's can stop solar arrays being installed on someone else's land a precedent will be set.

Get ready for LO rights to go further into the toilet.

The OP explained this particular situation & location, this thread has nothing to do with Van Zandt county.

His father the LO wants to retire, he thought about the possibilities of he and his brother taking over the farm.
There is no way farming 1000 acres of dry land in that specific area will support him, his brother and supply any retirement income for his father.
You simply are not going to make $400 per acre every year for the next 20 - 30 or so years farming the land.
Not to mention just equipment replacement costs over the 20 - 30 years.

You’d have to be already be doing well farming not to take the preliminary $10 per acre for them to assess the suitability of the property.
After that the $400 per acre per year sets up Granddad & Dad for a very nice retirement.
Hope it is no time soon, the heirs can buy a lot of property even retire early splitting the solar income.

Seriously how many are well off enough to turn down up to $400,000 per year without lifting a finger.

Re: Possible Solar Farm....what's your take? [Re: Cochise] #7406636 01/16/19 11:38 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Wow. That’s butt hurt.

Big difference in population density in E TX vs W TX. I don't blame people for being pissed off. Decent amount of homes in the area and a few pretty nice ones. I looked at a property for sale that would have bordered this late 2017; passed for other reasons. Would have been quite pissed if I bought a property and a year later I'm bordered on two sides by 400,000 solar panels.

It’s east Texas, didn’t think you could see through the trees... private property is private property. What’s next telling a Landowner they can’t drill an oil well, paint barn pink, red, blue etc.

I visited a solar facility in NM. They aren’t near as intrusive as pre conditioning yard, oil rigs, etc.

Infact cleaner then mosts people “farm” front yards.

It’s a disturbing trend

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Possible Solar Farm....what's your take? [Re: Rustler] #7406645 01/16/19 11:45 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Rustler
The negativity has more to do with surrounding LO's drumming up support to control what other LO's do with or on their own property.
This is a slippery slope with broad consequences, if a group or even a few neighboring LO's can stop solar arrays being installed on someone else's land a precedent will be set.

The OP explained this particular situation & location, this thread has nothing to do with Van Zandt county.

His father the LO wants to retire, he thought about the possibilities of he and his brother taking over the farm.
There is no way farming 1000 acres of dry land in that specific area will support him, his brother and supply any retirement income for his father.
You simply are not going to make $400 per acre every year for the next 20 - 30 or so years farming the land.

You’d have to be already be doing well farming not to take the preliminary $10 per acre for them to assess the suitability of the property.
After that the $400 per acre per year sets up Granddad & Dad for a very nice retirement.
Hope it is no time soon, the heirs can buy a lot of property even retire early splitting the solar income.

Seriously how many are well off enough to turn down up to $400,000 per year without lifting a finger.

X2. You couldn’t average net 400 if it was irrigated 380 bushel and acre corn.

They might be talked into putting 30% away each year for another property. Worst case, you can get a hell of a Stx lease for 12k a year

Re: Possible Solar Farm....what's your take? [Re: hogcaller10] #7406655 01/16/19 11:58 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'd jump on it with five years in advance.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Possible Solar Farm....what's your take? [Re: hogcaller10] #7406681 01/17/19 12:28 AM
E
Espy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
[Linked Image]

They are building a small one on 90 acres 45.000 pivoting solar panels. They said the heat will be about 10 degrees hotter for the homes around it. I’m glad I don’t live by it.

Re: Possible Solar Farm....what's your take? [Re: Espy] #7406740 01/17/19 01:37 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Espy
[Linked Image]

They are building a small one on 90 acres 45.000 pivoting solar panels. They said the heat will be about 10 degrees hotter for the homes around it. I’m glad I don’t live by it.

They say the same thing about wind turbines also, but nothing about a Walmart parking lot

Re: Possible Solar Farm....what's your take? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7406757 01/17/19 01:56 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

They might be talked into putting 30% away each year for another property. Worst case, you can get a hell of a Stx lease for 12k a year

Yeah, seems like a no brainer if they come through based on the money. You can hunt anywhere with that money and retire. The waiting game would suck though. At least with oil/gas you get a nice bonus while you wait (and sometimes paid a few times until they do anything) and still get to hunt and everything else as long as you own it and have some say so in where they do things.

Re: Possible Solar Farm....what's your take? [Re: hogcaller10] #7406770 01/17/19 02:18 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The proposed one in the above link, on both sides of FM1651 along the blue line. that is Whitton on the left on FM1651

[Linked Image]

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Possible Solar Farm....what's your take? [Re: Txduckman] #7406778 01/17/19 02:25 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Yeah, seems like a no brainer if they come through based on the money. You can hunt anywhere with that money and retire. The waiting game would suck though. At least with oil/gas you get a nice bonus while you wait (and sometimes paid a few times until they do anything) and still get to hunt and everything else as long as you own it and have some say so in where they do things.

You can add a “drill” completion limitation clause just like a oil/gas well

End of the day there are two types of land owners, recreationalists and those trying to make a living. The conflicts will get worse as the recreationalists grow and the producers shrink. Both have valid points.

Re: Possible Solar Farm....what's your take? [Re: hogcaller10] #7406831 01/17/19 03:15 AM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
The way ours was written the leased land can still be used like usual until the are ready to build. I’m betting all other contracts are the same.

Re: Possible Solar Farm....what's your take? [Re: Ramball36] #7406895 01/17/19 04:34 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Ramball36
The way ours was written the leased land can still be used like usual until the are ready to build. I’m betting all other contracts are the same.

That would only include recreation and farming I assume. Pretty sure it would be time to move on once signed except some hunting.

Re: Possible Solar Farm....what's your take? [Re: hogcaller10] #7407004 01/17/19 12:33 PM
M
macec3(TX) Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
If the wind farm company is making money, they will keep their promises. If not they could just walk off leaving you with a mess to clean up. There are plenty of abandoned wind farms. It looks like those large windmills would be expensive to remove. If they don't have the money to clean up their mess, you are stuck with it. I think if I were you, I would do plenty of checking these companies past history. The salesman is going to paint a pretty picture for your dad to see. Check it out and go with your gut.

Re: Possible Solar Farm....what's your take? [Re: hogcaller10] #7407130 01/17/19 03:19 PM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I'd research the impact on wildlife, it's devastating and unrecoverable in your lifetime. That reason alone would prompt me to walk away.

Your only real option is sellout for 75% of the entire offer up front and walk away. I can give you first hand knowledge of the impact on wildlife of these green projects, it's not so green or eco-friendly.

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: Possible Solar Farm....what's your take? [Re: David Maas] #7407141 01/17/19 03:31 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by David Maas
I'd research the impact on wildlife, it's devastating and unrecoverable in your lifetime. That reason alone would prompt me to walk away.

Your only real option is sellout for 75% of the entire offer up front and walk away. I can give you first hand knowledge of the impact on wildlife of these green projects, it's not so green or eco-friendly.

What is the wildlife that cant recover in our lifetime?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Possible Solar Farm....what's your take? [Re: macec3(TX)] #7407155 01/17/19 03:49 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by macec3(TX)
If the wind farm company is making money, they will keep their promises. If not they could just walk off leaving you with a mess to clean up. There are plenty of abandoned wind farms. It looks like those large windmills would be expensive to remove. If they don't have the money to clean up their mess, you are stuck with it. I think if I were you, I would do plenty of checking these companies past history. The salesman is going to paint a pretty picture for your dad to see. Check it out and go with your gut.

There are abandoned wind turbines left standing with no money in escrow to clean them up?

My lease had north of six figure per pad(would have to pull contract for exact but it’s up there) in escrow for reclaimation, our solar contract was similar on $ per acreage. Most states govern wind and solar sites same as Oil and Gas,

Re: Possible Solar Farm....what's your take? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7407182 01/17/19 04:23 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C

There are abandoned wind turbines left standing with no money in escrow to clean them up?

My lease had north of six figure per pad(would have to pull contract for exact but it’s up there) in escrow for reclaimation, our solar contract was similar on $ per acreage. Most states govern wind and solar sites same as Oil and Gas,

The Texas RRC 100% does NOT regulate wind and solar like O&G. That is a fact. There are virtually no regulations in the state in regards to solar and wind.

Re: Possible Solar Farm....what's your take? [Re: Cochise] #7407211 01/17/19 05:02 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

The Texas RRC 100% does NOT regulate wind and solar like O&G. That is a fact. There are virtually no regulations in the state in regards to solar and wind.

Most state north of us have special departments just for reclaimation on wind turbines, Texas will change just like them

I’ve turned down many contracts in last 15 years, and have signed a few. Everyone of them had a reclaimation escrow account per turbine.

Re: Possible Solar Farm....what's your take? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7407222 01/17/19 05:32 PM
P
PappawRock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I wonder how many folks have told them stick it where the sun don't shine...

Re: Possible Solar Farm....what's your take? [Re: redchevy] #7407360 01/17/19 08:59 PM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by redchevy
Originally Posted by David Maas

What is the wildlife that cant recover in our lifetime?

It changes the ecosystem, it takes as long to recover if it ever does

A few degrees increase in temperature will alter the habitat.

We used to have ring tailed cats on our farm, they clear cut a 150' swath for a high power transmission line, haven't seen one in person or on a camera since then. We would have almost daily sightings of them at the feeders.

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide