Forums46
Topics537,816
Posts9,729,463
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: TPWD boasts ............................ [Re: 7mag] #7394401 01/03/19 02:25 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
It's not just TPWD. There are a LOT of state agencies that sit on thousands of acres of land that is squandered away from the public. Heck - look at the Sabine River Authority - there is around 1,000 acres below the dam/spillway at Tawakoni that is overrun with some huge bucks, hundreds of pigs, and has hundreds of acres of prime waterfowl habitat. That is not even taking in to account probably 2 or 3x as much land in the drainage basins on the arms of the lake that they own. Think they'll let hunters have access? Nope, but they'll sure as hell lease it out for cattle grazing for pennies. That's just one lake of several in their watershed.

What irks me is these agencies use the "no money" cover to keep people out. Hell the SRA - Iron Bridge Division was just awarded nearly $40 million from the city of Dallas....think they'll use that to open up public hunting opportunities? Nope! They re-paved the dam, their HQ, built a nice new house for their members at the HQ, and are putting in/revamping parks around the lake (some of which they'll lease and the operate for a profit). Don't get me wrong - public access for fishing and recreation is great - but what about all that idle land and us hunters?

Last edited by Cochise; 01/03/19 02:30 PM.
Re: TPWD boasts ............................ [Re: bossbowman] #7395852 01/04/19 09:54 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Legend LE-195
Originally Posted by swampthang
TPWD needs to quit being so damn stingy with the number of permits it issues for its WMAs. mad
Especially the ones in south and west Texas. In the mid 80's I hunted Richland Creek WMA.Back then it was in the type 2 program,cost 25.00 for the AHP,centerfirefire rifles were legal for nov and dec and bowhunting legal for the entire 3 months of the season. Guys would literally camp out for 3 months on the property in trailers and old converted school buses etc.Fast forward to 2018 and you have Yoakum Dunes WMA,which is much larger than Richland Creek and they only issues 1 permit.Period.Really,14,000 acres and they only let 1 guy hunt it?Thats bulls**t.

The whole richland creek situation is maddening, the people running it now are a bunch of Nazis!

Been that way for a loooong time. I brought it up years ago and you wouldn't believe the number of people that took little Lord Fauntleroy's side. Never have I seen a game manager as corrupt as the guy that runs Richland Creek WMA. I also brought up the 40,000 acres donated to the state which was awesome Mule deer country and what happened to it, the state sold it.

Re: TPWD boasts ............................ [Re: 1860.colt] #7399866 01/09/19 03:35 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by colt.45
this damn yankee's 2cents . Tip me cowboyhat ta the ones running OSBWMA. started hunten public land when it opened up just down the road. By time it opened up had done the leasing confused2 tis what every one was doing. found one could afford, it was a family outing, with chance ta put food on d grill & in d freezer. We were just getting started. scratch tis thinking biggest reason for decrease in hunters tis No place for affordabe hunting. Minnesota their was no leasing, just price of hunting licence & land owners were open ta hunters. we grew up hunten & fishen as low-income family. with high price leasing, its cheaper ta just hunt bargens at wally-world or Sam's club. Figure $per# thenput yoour feet in thar (younger generation just starting out). Lease started on was less than a buck a day with 24-7-365 hog hunten, Family outing, lots of awesome memories, & had been hunten, fishen since 60's. had guns & fishing equipment. Although hunten was completely different, we had no feeders nor food plot with box stands. Cant blame people for watchen how they spend thar money in tough times. That $7.22 an hour in 83 was big bucks ta what was making before, almost triiple. & the $40.00 permit was way cheaper than the rising prices of leasing, & had more options, over 1,000,000 acres. Smith county was buck only for rifle, hmm unbalance we triide ta get just 1 doe tag, not enough deer. worked fences, bailed hay, always out doors doing something, [ihunters b the eyes & ears][/i] boiled down ta pollatics, & voice of low-income workers just trying ta put some food on d grill fell on deaf ears.... Seen lot of hard working hunters, put time effort & money in ta hunting leases, only ta get out bid. OSBWMA was deer archery only with rifle draw hunt, with three month hog hunts, the other wild-game. First year still had a deer lease, no hogs, so hit WMA for the hog hunts, Seen big #ers of hogs, few deer. gave up the leasing next year grabbed bow in hand & took a stand, could have taken deer behind house if needed. had food plot & feeder set up. As years went bye started seeing more deer at WMA, due ta archery only hunts. & when Smith county went 4 deer, could have taken 4 deer legally. yet still did archery hunts. Still Proud supporter of WMA's . Look at the so called "hog problem" times have changed since back in me muyloco caveman days, NV, thermal, fly-by hunts even the lights around feeders. Its become all about the big bucks. Seen decrease in hog #ers at sabine, scratch lot of that gotta do with the flooding. Things here have changed also, seeing box stands, some places leased, not near the amount of public land for hunting & getting tough ta find place ta hunt. Few younger age hunters, land availability & prices... My hunten, fishen stuff still in texas got cheap crossbow, less than $100.00 for me in-line, ladder stand on sale , fishing equipment on sale or cheap end little at a time. ya, Grampa, tell me about the good old days. Think only reason Pres. Trump won cause of dirty pollatis, call me a snow-flake, didnt vote for him. The Rich run the Gov. Trump played on the low-income being feed-up. sorry for rant. {rofl: then again most wont read this, tis in d top 5 on d ignorane list.

flag

I agree with all of the above except the part about Trump winning because of dirty "pollatis". I am not low income but I am still fed up with governments lack of give A $#!t especially from the left. As far as dirty pollitics Hitlary certainly did her best with the "dossier". As for the rich running the government would you prefer a Rosedale street hooker? On the other hand the hooker might give you your money's worth!

Re: TPWD boasts ............................ [Re: rickt300] #7400004 01/09/19 06:15 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by colt.45
this damn yankee's 2cents . Tip me cowboyhat ta the ones running OSBWMA. started hunten public land when it opened up just down the road. By time it opened up had done the leasing confused2 tis what every one was doing. found one could afford, it was a family outing, with chance ta put food on d grill & in d freezer. We were just getting started. scratch tis thinking biggest reason for decrease in hunters tis No place for affordabe hunting. Minnesota their was no leasing, just price of hunting licence & land owners were open ta hunters. we grew up hunten & fishen as low-income family. with high price leasing, its cheaper ta just hunt bargens at wally-world or Sam's club. Figure $per# thenput yoour feet in thar (younger generation just starting out). Lease started on was less than a buck a day with 24-7-365 hog hunten, Family outing, lots of awesome memories, & had been hunten, fishen since 60's. had guns & fishing equipment. Although hunten was completely different, we had no feeders nor food plot with box stands. Cant blame people for watchen how they spend thar money in tough times. That $7.22 an hour in 83 was big bucks ta what was making before, almost triiple. & the $40.00 permit was way cheaper than the rising prices of leasing, & had more options, over 1,000,000 acres. Smith county was buck only for rifle, hmm unbalance we triide ta get just 1 doe tag, not enough deer. worked fences, bailed hay, always out doors doing something, [ihunters b the eyes & ears][/i] boiled down ta pollatics, & voice of low-income workers just trying ta put some food on d grill fell on deaf ears.... Seen lot of hard working hunters, put time effort & money in ta hunting leases, only ta get out bid. OSBWMA was deer archery only with rifle draw hunt, with three month hog hunts, the other wild-game. First year still had a deer lease, no hogs, so hit WMA for the hog hunts, Seen big #ers of hogs, few deer. gave up the leasing next year grabbed bow in hand & took a stand, could have taken deer behind house if needed. had food plot & feeder set up. As years went bye started seeing more deer at WMA, due ta archery only hunts. & when Smith county went 4 deer, could have taken 4 deer legally. yet still did archery hunts. Still Proud supporter of WMA's . Look at the so called "hog problem" times have changed since back in me muyloco caveman days, NV, thermal, fly-by hunts even the lights around feeders. Its become all about the big bucks. Seen decrease in hog #ers at sabine, scratch lot of that gotta do with the flooding. Things here have changed also, seeing box stands, some places leased, not near the amount of public land for hunting & getting tough ta find place ta hunt. Few younger age hunters, land availability & prices... My hunten, fishen stuff still in texas got cheap crossbow, less than $100.00 for me in-line, ladder stand on sale , fishing equipment on sale or cheap end little at a time. ya, Grampa, tell me about the good old days. Think only reason Pres. Trump won cause of dirty pollatis, call me a snow-flake, didnt vote for him. The Rich run the Gov. Trump played on the low-income being feed-up. sorry for rant. {rofl: then again most wont read this, tis in d top 5 on d ignorane list.

flag

I agree with all of the above except the part about Trump winning because of dirty "pollatis". I am not low income but I am still fed up with governments lack of give A $#!t especially from the left. As far as dirty pollitics Hitlary certainly did her best with the "dossier". As for the rich running the government would you prefer a Rosedale street hooker? On the other hand the hooker might give you your money's worth!

cheers respect your opinion.... Yet doesnt change mine... Pres. Trump tis master at " Fake News " if reporter reports something that dosn't fit his agenda, its fake news... Rep. (Con's), rofl they started with name calling, global warming, gun rights. Personal note, listen ta person, not color, blue or red, whould prefure the hooker, over the screw job by Pres. Trump... As stated didn't vote for him, & say that with pride... Rep. had Pres. Senate, & Congress, people Fed-up, Trump won by electorial votes..
Problem tis, low-income workers get silanced by middle-income workers complaining bout how bad they got it...

rofl offered several times ta switch income with any on here, No replies... side note: 2003 workmans comp, terminated for standing ground, with back issues, ended up getting lawyer, he got new office, & more clients, FACT : people DO get hurt at work... They had lawyers on payroll, my credit got ruined, & was told : Dont tell people...
Dang Gov. been spying on me ever since...
back Still proud suporter of WMA... Even middle class workers can afford it...
flag

Last edited by colt.45; 01/09/19 06:16 PM.

i'm postaddic
Re: TPWD boasts ............................ [Re: 7mag] #7400057 01/09/19 07:02 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Trumps farm bill increased walkin hunting lease budget by 10 million boasting it to $50 million.

That’s a lot more walking hunting walk in access coming on line.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: TPWD boasts ............................ [Re: 7mag] #7402625 01/12/19 05:22 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Well the news not fitting his agenda? Suppose the news put out by the fake news media is not true? Fact check some of what NBC or CNN put out, don't just believe it. As for the Electoral college, without it the only states that would count would be NY and CA. Do you really want those gun grabbers and taxation lovers running the country? But most of all I would like to hear some facts on the "screw job" President Trump supposedly gave us. As far as the Republicans having the senate people like Flake and McCain were/are not true Republicans (RINOs like Romney) and to get anything done one must get 60 votes which the Republicans never had and the lefty jerks won't do a darn thing to help the country with a vote. Fast forward to the present, how do you like the new gun legislation put forward by the lefty wannabe communists? Or them mulling tax rates as high as 70%? Trump does have the nations best interests in mind so why the hate? He is pro gun, pro constitution, and if he puts one more conservative justice on the Supreme court he will have accomplished far more than I expected from him.

Re: TPWD boasts ............................ [Re: rickt300] #7405887 01/16/19 02:37 AM
B
bossbowman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by Legend LE-195
TPWD needs to quit being so damn stingy with the number of permits it issues for its WMAs. mad
Especially the ones in south and west Texas. In the mid 80's I hunted Richland Creek WMA.Back then it was in the type 2 program,cost 25.00 for the AHP,centerfirefire rifles were legal for nov and dec and bowhunting legal for the entire 3 months of the season. Guys would literally camp out for 3 months on the property in trailers and old converted school buses etc.Fast forward to 2018 and you have Yoakum Dunes WMA,which is much larger than Richland Creek and they only issues 1 permit.Period.Really,14,000 acres and they only let 1 guy hunt it?Thats bulls**t.

The whole richland creek situation is maddening, the people running it now are a bunch of Nazis!

Been that way for a loooong time. I brought it up years ago and you wouldn't believe the number of people that took little Lord Fauntleroy's side. Never have I seen a game manager as corrupt as the guy that runs Richland Creek WMA. I also brought up the 40,000 acres donated to the state which was awesome Mule deer country and what happened to it, the state sold it.

Its bad, its real real bad. That guy must have friends in high places, thats all I got...

Re: TPWD boasts ............................ [Re: swampthang] #7406576 01/16/19 10:18 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Yoakum Dunes does more than one hunt...they do the Regular Draw for one hunter that is guided for 4 days with a place to stay, then do the Ultimate Hunt where one name is drawn but they can bring a guest to hunt for 3-5 days and is guided with a place to stay and they do a Youth Management hunt for two deer one buck and one doe with guiding and a place to stay. So that is 3 hunts for up to 4 hunters. Not very many Mule Deer on that acreage also, I hunted there and seen it first hand. Mule Deer are not like whitetails in numbers and habitat. Taking one mature Mule Deer buck per 10,000 is common in many areas of Texas.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: TPWD boasts ............................ [Re: 7mag] #7406612 01/16/19 11:10 PM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
They need to issue about 30 archery permits for Yoakum Dunes with STRICT instructions hunters are only allowed to shoot mature bucks. KInda like they do at Matador. At least that way a whole lot more guys would have a shot at getting on the property. Instead of applying for 25 years for a rifle permit before finally being drawn. Actually better make that 35 years.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide