Forums46
Topics537,997
Posts9,731,588
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Strange things seen or heard while hunting? [Re: Dalroo] #7400807 01/10/19 03:34 PM
A
Aggieman775 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Two bobcats fighting and screaming. I was hunting hogs at night by myself in my tree stand at about 13 years old. It was probably about 830 at night and then I hear something right behind me where it’s really thick and it sounded like 2 little girls screaming on top of their lungs. It scared the crap out of me.

TSmith
Re: Strange things seen or heard while hunting? [Re: Dalroo] #7400907 01/10/19 05:41 PM
R
rob valle Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I was hunting out of a tower blind in LaSalle Co a few years back and noticed a bunch of cottontails in the food plot next to me. All of a sudden, an owl swooped down and pounced on one of the rabbits. It then proceeded to rip the rabbit to shreds with its talons while sitting on the ground. There was screaming and pieces of fur and flesh flying in all directions. Poor rabbit!

Rob Valle
www.hillcotaxidermy.com
Originally Posted by Texsun
The three things you need in life are a good doctor, lawyer and taxidermist.

Re: Strange things seen or heard while hunting? [Re: Dalroo] #7401011 01/10/19 07:27 PM
C
catwhacker Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I was out bow hunting on an old two track road that went through the center of the woods that the muzzleloading club that I belonged to owned. I had my climber stand higher than I normally would go because I was on the side of a hill and needed to see over the top of the hill. A truck comes down the two track and stops about 30 yards down the hill from me. A man and woman get out of the truck and get undressed and climb into the back of the truck and get to going at it. When they get done and climb out of the truck the man make eye contact with me. I knew him and his wife quite well. It was not his wife! He never said one word to me about it.

Re: Strange things seen or heard while hunting? [Re: ChrisB] #7401175 01/10/19 11:28 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by ChrisB
I was bow hunting one morning near Brownwood in a popup blind. While I was sitting in the stand before light I heard what sounded like some animal getting closer to the blind. A little while went by and all the sudden I could hear it was in the blind with me. I jumped up out of my chair and swooped down to grab my flashlight that was laying on the ground under my chair. When I turned the light on there was a four foot copperhead going under my chair. I watched it keep on going and out of the blind. Later as it started getting light a flock of turkeys came walking by and I shot one at about thirty yards. He flopped around far a little while and came to rest about fifty yards from me. All the sudden it looked like another turkey jumped on top of him. I figured what the heck and nocked another arrow and let it fly. When I shot the arrow flew over the bird and about that time the birds head did a 180 and I saw that it was a great horned owl that was trying to eat my turkey. Good thing I missed. That was quite a morning.

eeks333 I thought 2 foot was about as big as these got, maybe 28 inches ...

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Strange things seen or heard while hunting? [Re: PMK] #7401225 01/11/19 12:04 AM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted by PMK
I was bow hunting one morning near Brownwood in a popup blind. While I was sitting in the stand before light I heard what sounded like some animal getting closer to the blind. A little while went by and all the sudden I could hear it was in the blind with me. I jumped up out of my chair and swooped down to grab my flashlight that was laying on the ground under my chair. When I turned the light on there was a four foot copperhead going under my chair. I watched it keep on going and out of the blind. Later as it started getting light a flock of turkeys came walking by and I shot one at about thirty yards. He flopped around far a little while and came to rest about fifty yards from me. All the sudden it looked like another turkey jumped on top of him. I figured what the heck and nocked another arrow and let it fly. When I shot the arrow flew over the bird and about that time the birds head did a 180 and I saw that it was a great horned owl that was trying to eat my turkey. Good thing I missed. That was quite a morning.

Well, I didn't ask it to hold still while I get my tape measure out to make sure my story is exact. I did manage to keep my cool and stay in the pop up without disturbing the woods. Wiki says the largest is 4'6" so who knows?

Re: Strange things seen or heard while hunting? [Re: Dalroo] #7401899 01/11/19 07:01 PM
B
BenBob Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Some good stories here.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Strange things seen or heard while hunting? [Re: catwhacker] #7402014 01/11/19 09:07 PM
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted by catwhacker
I was out bow hunting on an old two track road that went through the center of the woods that the muzzleloading club that I belonged to owned. I had my climber stand higher than I normally would go because I was on the side of a hill and needed to see over the top of the hill. A truck comes down the two track and stops about 30 yards down the hill from me. A man and woman get out of the truck and get undressed and climb into the back of the truck and get to going at it. When they get done and climb out of the truck the man make eye contact with me. I knew him and his wife quite well. It was not his wife! He never said one word to me about it.

Thats a good one. You should have walked up to the tailgate and said "excuse me, is this where the line starts?"

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Strange things seen or heard while hunting? [Re: chalet] #7402124 01/11/19 11:19 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by chalet

Thats a good one. You should have walked up to the tailgate and said "excuse me, is this where the line starts?"

Was she hot? popcorn

If you had a camera with ya that picture could have been worth a thousand words dollars...... cheers

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Strange things seen or heard while hunting? [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7402359 01/12/19 03:29 AM
C
catwhacker Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted by chalet

Was she hot? popcorn

If you had a camera with ya that picture could have been worth a thousand words dollars...... cheers

Way hotter than his wife! No camera sorry to say.

Re: Strange things seen or heard while hunting? [Re: Dalroo] #7402459 01/12/19 10:46 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Sitting in a tower stand, about 30 minutes before dawn, and just about asleep. A voice said, “Dave, are you up there?” It was the GW who had slipped in and wanted to use it for surveillance on adjoining property that had poaching problems. I had 2 chairs so told him to come on up. Dang sure woke me up.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Strange things seen or heard while hunting? [Re: PMK] #7402617 01/12/19 05:15 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted by PMK

I've seen a 4ft copperhead at Cedar creek lake. It was near 'Star harbor' and came out of the sawgrass near the dam, charged our boat in 4 feet of water and tried over and over to get in our low slung bass boat. Whacked him a couple of times with the paddle and he finally retreated. Although uncommon they can get to 4ft.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Strange things seen or heard while hunting? [Re: Erathkid] #7402683 01/12/19 07:31 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Erathkid
Originally Posted by PMK

I've seen a 4ft copperhead at Cedar creek lake. It was near 'Star harbor' and came out of the sawgrass near the dam, charged our boat in 4 feet of water and tried over and over to get in our low slung bass boat. Whacked him a couple of times with the paddle and he finally retreated. Although uncommon they can get to 4ft.

A copperhead or a cottonmouth?

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Strange things seen or heard while hunting? [Re: Dalroo] #7403489 01/13/19 09:21 PM
O
Old Shakie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
A couple of years ago I was out hog hunting one night about 9PM and I saw several strange lights falling down from the shy several miles away. A few minutes later I saw the same thing happen in a another location. You could hear distant jet engines, It took a minute or two but I figured out it was the military training with flares. They do a lot of training east of Breckenridge. Pretty neat sight and the only time I ever saw that.

Re: Strange things seen or heard while hunting? [Re: Dalroo] #7405532 01/15/19 08:45 PM
B
Bluesea112 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Wolves have not lived in Texas for a very, very long time. If you think you see a wolf in Texas it is most likely a wild/feral dog that has a similar build to a wolf. (german shepherd, collie mix, or many other large breeds of dogs that have wolves as great great, great ancestors).

Re: Strange things seen or heard while hunting? [Re: Dalroo] #7405743 01/16/19 12:11 AM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
I was fishing in Packery Channel in my boat near the 361 bridge watching the pelicans diving for mullet. As I watched one over head he folded his wings and dove strait into the concrete embankment on the side of the bridge. He wasn't even close to the water. He made a load splat and never moved again. I was shocked !!!!! He either committed suicide or had a vision problem in either case it was something really strange.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide