Print Thread
How many acres to successfully Bowhunt!! #7402629 01/12/19 05:32 PM
G
grunt0311 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
G
Need your opinions , how many acres do you really need to successfully bowhunt without having the animal cross fence lines and having to bother neighbors to recover the game!!! I use to bowhunt when I had a big lease now that I hunt my 26acre property , the bow has been put away cause I do not want to bother my neighbors every time a deer crosses their fence line.

Re: How many acres to successfully Bowhunt!! [Re: grunt0311] #7402672 01/12/19 07:20 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
It can be done on 26 acres without the deer leaving the property most of the time, depending on the shape of the 26 acres of course. If I were going to hunt a smaller acreage though I would select a large cut broadhead aka mechanical, Bigger hole cut through the lungs and they usually do not go as far. Also select only shots that are either heart or double lung. With a setup like that rarely does a deer go over 100 yards.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: How many acres to successfully Bowhunt!! [Re: grunt0311] #7402726 01/12/19 08:33 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
If the feeder is placed on the neighbors fence line or near it, that deer shot w a bow is likely to cross a fence. Doesn’t matter if it’s 50 acres or 50,000 acres

So that’s kinda of an impossible question to answer but I’d like your odds if the neighbors fence is at least 150 yards away

Re: How many acres to successfully Bowhunt!! [Re: grunt0311] #7402741 01/12/19 09:30 PM
T
Treinta-Treinta Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Just keep shooting them and forget about the ones that cross the fence.

Re: How many acres to successfully Bowhunt!! [Re: grunt0311] #7402743 01/12/19 09:31 PM
T
Top Jimmy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Newby question from a non-resident. If you shoot a deer when it is on your land and it hops the fence and dies on the neighbors land, can you still go retrieve it? Where I live now, you would be able to, as it would be considered wanton waste of a game animal not to and you are allowed to enter the property just for that sole purpose. Just curious.

-TJ

Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.
Re: How many acres to successfully Bowhunt!! [Re: Top Jimmy] #7402754 01/12/19 09:41 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy
Newby question from a non-resident. If you shoot a deer when it is on your land and it hops the fence and dies on the neighbors land, can you still go retrieve it? Where I live now, you would be able to, as it would be considered wanton waste of a game animal not to and you are allowed to enter the property just for that sole purpose. Just curious.

-TJ

You have to get landowner permission to cross a fence line. If that is unattainable then call the game warden. It is illegal to cross property lines in Texas fence or no fence. It is also illegal for your projectile to cross property lines.

To the OP, you can bowhunt 26 acres just fine. Like others have said don’t be close to the fence and only take shots you know you can make. Try to have a set up or two in the middle of the property

Re: How many acres to successfully Bowhunt!! [Re: rickym] #7402765 01/12/19 09:51 PM
T
Top Jimmy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by rickym

-TJ

You have to get landowner permission to cross a fence line. If that is unattainable then call the game warden. It is illegal to cross property lines in Texas fence or no fence. It is also illegal for your projectile to cross property lines.

To the OP, you can bowhunt 26 acres just fine. Like others have said don’t be close to the fence and only take shots you know you can make. Try to have a set up or two in the middle of the property

Thanks for the info. What happens if you can't get permission? Do you have to still fill your harvest tag or just keep hunting?

-TJ

Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.
Re: How many acres to successfully Bowhunt!! [Re: Top Jimmy] #7402891 01/13/19 12:17 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

-TJ

Thanks for the info. What happens if you can't get permission? Do you have to still fill your harvest tag or just keep hunting?

-TJ

That depends on how hones you are......
2cents

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: How many acres to successfully Bowhunt!! [Re: Top Jimmy] #7402950 01/13/19 01:54 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G

-TJ

-TJ

I’m just giving my .02 here. But in the event that scenario happened.

You kill it and landowner it died on says no. Game Warden is called and can’t help.

That’s all worst case scenario...99.9 percent of the time it’s not like that

I wouldn’t burn a tag because in my opinion “harvested” means took possession.

And if that animal didn’t go home with you, it wasn’t actually harvested

Attach your tag to what you kill, if you can’t legally...you can’t. End of story

And I’m not saying that’s the legal answer but I bet my attorney could argue my side well and I bet you would win

Re: How many acres to successfully Bowhunt!! [Re: Top Jimmy] #7403118 01/13/19 08:27 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

-TJ

In a nut shell what the guys said, if you can't cross fence legally to retrieve game, tough. No tag burned. Welcome to East Texas!! Will never hunt or live there. Love fishing there though.

Re: How many acres to successfully Bowhunt!! [Re: grunt0311] #7403265 01/13/19 03:45 PM
G
grunt0311 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
G
The reason for my question a buddy of mine is buying next to me and he just bought a bow and wants to bowhunt, I informed him it takes alot of practice my opinion you just do not go out and starting shooting deer without getting comfortable with your technique but when it's your property do whatever you want , I just want him to make a smart decision before he starts shooting game and they cross other landowners fence lines especially mine. My next question to the forum right now their is no dividing perimeter line between my property and the one he is purchasing i just keep it cleaned and marked from when i had my survey done 4yrs ago that way whoever bought the property we would go half on the fence line , should I just go ahead and let him know that we need to get the fence up asap that way their will be no problems between us he's like a brother to me and he can do whatever he wants on his property , i just will not have him make a habit of recovering animals on my side from bow hunting !

Procraft- I dont hunt fence lines my setups are in the middle of my land, I try and show respect to the big landowners

Re: How many acres to successfully Bowhunt!! [Re: grunt0311] #7403343 01/13/19 05:01 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by grunt0311
Need your opinions , how many acres do you really need to successfully bowhunt without having the animal cross fence lines and having to bother neighbors to recover the game!!! I use to bowhunt when I had a big lease now that I hunt my 26acre property , the bow has been put away cause I do not want to bother my neighbors every time a deer crosses their fence line.

Grunt, IMHO if you are bowhunting 26 acres, the only way it will work without conflict, is if you develop a positive relationship with your neighbor. It is physically impossible to get 176 yards away from your property line on 26 acres. If you shoot many animals off your 26 acres, it is more likely than not one of them will expire on your neighbors place. Whether you like it or not, hunting 26 acres, you are dependent on your neighbors property to support a supply of deer for you to kill as well. Might as well get along with em.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: How many acres to successfully Bowhunt!! [Re: grunt0311] #7403364 01/13/19 05:23 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
The reason for my question a buddy of mine is buying next to me and he just bought a bow and wants to bowhunt, I informed him it takes alot of practice my opinion you just do not go out and starting shooting deer without getting comfortable with your technique but when it's your property do whatever you want , I just want him to make a smart decision before he starts shooting game and they cross other landowners fence lines especially mine. My next question to the forum right now their is no dividing perimeter line between my property and the one he is purchasing i just keep it cleaned and marked from when i had my survey done 4yrs ago that way whoever bought the property we would go half on the fence line , should I just go ahead and let him know that we need to get the fence up asap that way their will be no problems between us he's like a brother to me and he can do whatever he wants on his property , i just will not have him make a habit of recovering animals on my side from bow hunting !

Procraft- I dont hunt fence lines my setups are in the middle of my land, I try and show respect to the big landowners

If he's like a brother to you, why wouldn't you let him recover a deer from your property? What's the potential for how many times that situation might occur?

Re: How many acres to successfully Bowhunt!! [Re: jetdad] #7403385 01/13/19 05:55 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted by jetdad

If he's like a brother to you, why wouldn't you let him recover a deer from your property? What's the potential for how many times that situation might occur?

I'd hate to see how he treats someone he doesn't like. Between the two of you I'd say your 52 acres should be good for one or two deer per year.

Re: How many acres to successfully Bowhunt!! [Re: grunt0311] #7403459 01/13/19 08:13 PM
G
grunt0311 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
G
I'm trying to explain to him that 26acres is not enough room to bowhunt that's why I do not bowhunt my property the property layout is about 1/2 mile long and 150yrds wide so I prefer to use my rifle instead that's all , but when he closes on his property he can do what he wants this has nothing to do about not liking someone , And just because were friends you still show respect to other persons property , I try to make sure my kills stay on my property that's all nothing more into this topic.

Re: How many acres to successfully Bowhunt!! [Re: grunt0311] #7403469 01/13/19 08:39 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
The size of the property is certainly a factor. an acre is 208'x208' and a well placed shot in the heart should drop a deer in less than 100 yards. Unfortunately the best of us cannot always be so accurate. We often err and or the deer often jumps the shot. Unless you have great relationship with the neighbors it's gonna be an issue more than you'd like!!!!

Re: How many acres to successfully Bowhunt!! [Re: grunt0311] #7403471 01/13/19 08:49 PM
G
grunt0311 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
G
That's what I'm trying to explain , I have a good relationship with my neighbors and they own big ranches , I just dont want that to get ruined , like I stated I show respect to my neighbors

Re: How many acres to successfully Bowhunt!! [Re: grunt0311] #7404026 01/14/19 01:57 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
That's what I'm trying to explain , I have a good relationship with my neighbors and they own big ranches , I just don't want that to get ruined , like I stated I show respect to my neighbors

If a stranger called from one of those big ranches, would you let him retrieve a deer that jumped the fence and died on your place. If the answer is yes, what is the difference between letting a neighbor and your friend.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide