Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hog Bait with quick results #7401038 01/10/19 08:04 PM
S
Scott W Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
My company is putting together a ranch trip to the owner's family ranch outside of Olney in about 6-7 weeks. It's about 700 AC and has some hogs on it but we want some of the non-hunters to have a decent chance at seeing hogs. We won't be able to get out there beforehand to put out hog pipes but I'm pretty sure the feeders are still running.

Are there any good store bought or homemade hog attractants that we can use to try to lure in some targets? I've heard of people making a mash in a 5 gallon bucket with corn, sugar, water, etc. but don't know the specifics.

Thanks in advance and I'll follow up with dead pig pics if we're successful.

Originally Posted by Scott W
Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7401048 01/10/19 08:26 PM
JDP Ranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I use Hog Wild (found at Academy) on my property - works great. I'm sure the same could be accomplished with coolaide. Pig Out works too - but I can't smell it as far away as I can with Hog Wild. If the place has hogs, I bet pretty much anything with a strong, sweet smell would work. Haven't tried the mash, but I plan on buying a 55 gal drum to start this spring.

Best bet is to use a post digger and dig a hole several foot deep. Mix with corn and hog wild, then put a little dirt on top, then do the same thing until the hole is filled. On the last layer... mix the corn with dirt so they start the digging process. If the hole is big and deep enough... it should hold them there for some time.

Hogs seem to be coming out more in the evenings in the past few weeks. I have tons of hogs on game cams, but out of all the times at the feeder, have only seen them a handful in day light since November. I hear January - February is good hog hunting.

Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7401080 01/10/19 09:15 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
You can use all sorts of things, but the cold hard reality is that there are NO MIRACLE ATTRACTANTS! We would all be using them if there were.

I would definitely make sure the feeders are still running. That is going to be your best bet.

Also, don't go crazy dumping out some new stinky stuff by the feeders. Hogs who are not used to the new smells will sometimes avoid the new stuff. Apparently, hogs sometimes think that a radical change in their environment is a bad sign. Only after getting comfortable with it do they approach.

Jon suggests mixing corn and Hog Wild and burying it the ground. Burying is NOT an attractant concept. It is a delaying concept to get the hogs to stay in one location, excavating a large hole in order to get at the buried goodies. Never mind that you will have polluted the area with human scent in order to dig the holes just before you start hunting. Never mind that you will undoubtedly be asked to come back and fill in the holes excavated by the hogs.

As for the 5 gallon bucket idea, you are talking about "soured corn." Basically, all you want to do is to ferment the corn so that it generates more smell. Lots of animals will eat the fermented corn. You can do corn, water, and then whatever other additives to make it work. Being winter, it will be harder for the process to work, but you can add beer, yeast, kool-aid, sugar, etc. to speed the process along and to increase smell. You do NOT want to spill this on yourself or in your vehicle. It is pretty nasty smelling.

Honestly, just about all the miracle magic attractants people use are all centered around corn. Just make sure the feeders are running. Maybe you can talk to the owner about a pre trip to get out there and fill feeders as necessary. As deer season is over or nearly over, and I assume most of your folks don't have thermal or night vision, have the feeders set to an after daylight feed time in the morning and an early afternoon feed time. You don't want a lot of corn on the ground after dark. So if the hogs are coming to the sound of the feeder, you want the feeder going off when there is good daylight and for not much to be left behind during hours you don't want to be hunting.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7401088 01/10/19 09:27 PM
H
HuntersAnonymous41 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Sour corn, i kill around 80 hog every few months with this technique. Have used it forever. Been the most consistent attractant that I have used in my experience. If you already have corn, don't know if you want to bring more corn out there. I always throw kool aid mix over the top once i lay it out. They love it.

*BLLM* Black Labs Lives Matter. Point&Shoot. Conserve&Protect. Hunt&Gather
Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7401091 01/10/19 09:30 PM
P
parsky1 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
P
I've tried extra bait, all the sweet and soured corn mixes, but my experience has been they just come whenever. So many variables... weather, hunters on adjacent property, availability of other food sources, adjacent owner moved livestock. The biggest thing in my experience is to get the feeder running, at least 1-2wks ahead of time, so they start frequenting the area more. I've always had better luck at night when I've been helping out with depredation.

Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7401103 01/10/19 09:41 PM
JDP Ranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Jon suggests mixing corn and Hog Wild and burying it the ground. Burying is NOT an attractant concept. It is a delaying concept to get the hogs to stay in one location, excavating a large hole in order to get at the buried goodies. Never mind that you will have polluted the area with human scent in order to dig the holes just before you start hunting. Never mind that you will undoubtedly be asked to come back and fill in the holes excavated by the hogs.

This is true. They have to be frequenting that area to come. Also, as Double Naught Spy said, you may be asked to come back and fill the hole. I've always found it much harder to fill the hole than it was to dig it grin

I have, on several occasions, had hogs visit the feeder area after servicing the feeders/game cams. Even as recent as last week, I put up one of those motion activated green hog lights on an 8 ft t-post. I spent a good 30 mins next to a feeder setting it up. Hogs showed up that night. Not saying they always do that - it depends on the hogs and how much food is in the area. Probably wouldn't have happened in the middle of the summer when food is more abundant. On several occasions, I've dug a hole with Hog Wild/corn in the evening and had hogs there before sunrise the following day. That's how I got my first hog.

Another alternative, if there is a sendaro or roads, is to ride on the back of a truck and corn it. The most hogs I've ever seen on my property came out when I did this. I used Record Rack Golden Nugget instead of corn. It has a berry smell to it. That was the first time I've ever heard the "feeding frenzy" noise that you hear on game callers.

Last edited by JonPace; 01/10/19 11:17 PM.
Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7401167 01/10/19 11:09 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
We come down to Texas every spring to hunt hogs on the family place and usually by the time we're down the feeders are mostly empty. We've found that putting out fresh corn where hogs had been active on feeders before brought them back pretty quick, within a day or so.
We've also used soured brewers grain we get from friends that own a brewery. We get the wet grain and put it in buckets and keep it warm for a 10-14 days before we come down.
We put it out under feeders that had wet conditions and it seems to draw in hogs pretty well also. The soured grain smell I'm sure brings them in, not the fact that is brewers grain. We get it free so we use it.
We've mixed jello in with mixed success. I agree new smells may spook the hogs til they get used to it.
They seemed to like the milk stout grain we got one year. It really soured.
We have had good success with Acorn Rage, the powder, on good nut years. Just put out little piles under trees the animals were hitting looking for acorns.

You might try an electronic game call too. They do work to call in hogs when conditions are right. Social sounds and fighting boars have worked for us.

Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7401169 01/10/19 11:19 PM
S
Sirrah243 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Rain....Rain is what makes them move around my parts. They come and go but after a good rain they come in droves and destroy everything they can. I use a mix of
50 lbs. of corn, 4 lbs of sugar and a packet of yeast. mix and cover with 2 or 3 inches of water. leave it is the sun for 2 or three days. Dump it on the ground or bury it, they'll find it either way.

�A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.� -Fred Bear
Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7401178 01/10/19 11:31 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Trying an attractant the hogs aren’t use to may have the opposite results that you want. It could easily make the hogs nervous bc it’s a new smell, could take them a while to check it put. I’d just use a road feeder and feed corn or hunt existing corn f elders if there are any.

Last edited by SapperTitan; 01/11/19 01:28 AM.
Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7401270 01/11/19 12:51 AM
H
Hook-Em Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Our hogs in Mills county come and go. It's an iffy chance they show up at any feeder during day light hours.

Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7401277 01/11/19 12:55 AM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I could tell you my secret sauce but then it wouldn't be a secret anymore. BUT....don't use regular corn, I only buy steamed crimped corn. About a dollar a bag more at any feed store. The smell carries so much farther and anything you add to it to enhance it makes a much bigger difference, Keeps em' at the bait longer too. Just soak it in water to make the scent drift much further. (Or add Cherry kool aid or Strawberry jello packets)

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: SapperTitan] #7401281 01/11/19 12:58 AM
K
KK30RAR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Originally Posted by SapperTitan
I trod i g an attractant the hogs aren’t use to may have the opposite results that you want. It could easily make the hogs nervous bc it’s a new smell, could take them a while to check it put. I’d just use a road feeder and feed corn or hunt existing corn f elders if there are any.

+1. Just use regular corn a good friend invited me to his ranch for a weekend of night thermal hog hunting we went out 2 days early and baited this ranch up with everything you could think of you could tell this place was loaded with hogs needless to say 3 people 3 nights never seen a thing. Just use corn

Pulsar xq50 trail
Pulsar xq30f Helion
Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7401433 01/11/19 03:22 AM
S
Scott W Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Appreciate everyone's input.

Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7402193 01/12/19 12:43 AM
D
dawson55 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I wasn't having much luck this year tried apple corn, and it worked but it did seem to run them off for a few days. I know some farmers plant peanuts in the area. This led me to try wild game innovations peanut powder. Started having success after laying the apple corn with peanut powder. I do believe smell helps draw them in. But it has to be a smell they are familiar with.

Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7402268 01/12/19 01:36 AM
O
Old Stony Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
I've tried all kinds of stuff mixed with corn over the years, but couldn't really say any did much better than just plain old corn. Some friends had a bunch of apple flavored corn they needed to get rid of because of weevils in it, and poured it all around one of my traps.....didn't see any hogs there for some time afterward. I do occasionally sour some of the corn and I think the scent might work to draw some in....but stick to plain old corn and you will probably do just as good or better than anything else.

Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7402428 01/12/19 05:36 AM
S
Scott W Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Confirmed today that feeders are still running and will be through our trip. Hopefully they are comfortable in the area and we don't disturb them until we start shooting!

Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7402456 01/12/19 10:20 AM
easttxhoghunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I've used
diesel fuel and used motor oil mixed at the base of trees, apply it about a foot up, works best in the summer, ever notice how a power pole gets torn up in the woods, they rub against it to get rid of bugs. This time of the year hog wild and corn in a hole works great. I dig a hole about 20' from the feeder, they come to it the same day.

Last edited by easttxhoghunter; 01/12/19 10:22 AM.

NRA Life Member
Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7407450 01/17/19 10:11 PM
T
TKandMike Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
corn, beer, and koolaid powder

Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7407489 01/17/19 10:32 PM
W
Walkabout Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Take the left over grease from any and all your meal preps and poor in the trap or area you are trying to attract. Very simple and very effective.

Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7408206 01/18/19 04:51 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
offtopic just my 2cents ...
scratch The only ones that believe thar b a hog problem in texas are the ones that voted for Pres. Trump... bolt
flag

Last edited by colt.45; 01/18/19 04:52 PM.

i'm postaddic
Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7408705 01/19/19 11:07 AM
O
Old Stony Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
Ran into an old bag of cornmeal in the back of a cabinet at home, and took it out and spread it around in a trap. They sure seemed to like rooting around in it..

Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7408766 01/19/19 02:30 PM
W
Whack n stack Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
apple corn.

Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7408869 01/19/19 05:03 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Just saying this I guess to be saying it

I’ve got hogs on all 3 places I hunt.

I added a trap last year to one spot and added attractant inside the trap

I got nothing after a week or so.

Moved the trap and just used corn, boom caught a hog within a day or two

So I’m not saying wether it works or not that’s just my one time experience

I don’t remember the brand, it poured out a purple color and smelled like koolaid...wild hog something???

Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7409161 01/20/19 12:21 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I use 'Corn Arrows' to get them to go where I want. wink

Attached Files Corn_Arrow.jpg

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7409250 01/20/19 02:42 AM
S
SpoonPlatoon Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
50 lbs of corn and one gallon of pigout.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide