NRA Life Benefactor Member
Re: Dont buy this crappy feeder! [Re: Sparky45] #7357321 11/25/18 12:46 PM
S
Sparky45 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
Went out yesterday and it was nice sitting in the blind and looking at my watch and having the feeder go off at the time I set it for. Imagine that? The Game Winner controller took about 10 minutes to install and program to go off 2 times a day, every day of the week and it works like it should.
I absolutely hate that POS Sunslinger, I am taking the solar panel off of it and if I can put a meter on and prove that it works, I might try and mount it where it can be a charger for my current set up. I also took the motor out of it for a spare.

Last edited by Sparky45; 11/25/18 12:47 PM.

The only easy day was yesterday

Re: Dont buy this crappy feeder! [Re: Sparky45] #7357962 11/26/18 12:59 PM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Been there and done that with cheep feeder controller chit... Nothing more frustrating than going to hunt and your feeder not working realmad

[Linked Image]
Re: Dont buy this crappy feeder! [Re: Sparky45] #7358355 11/26/18 05:28 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
I have the exact same feeder. Before you shoot your controller unit, which I also wanted to do at one time, let me make a quick suggestion...try using a Duracell or Energizer 6V battery. I had a fully charged battery that was an off brand name, which worked in ALL my other feeders, but not in that one. I got a hold of a customer service agent who said for whatever reason, those feeders only like the two name brand batteries mentioned above. Sure enough, I replaced it with a Duracell 6v 5ah (they said the greater the amp hours (ah) the better, but 5ah minimum) and it works like a charm. I saw you upgraded your unit already, so maybe this suggestions might help the next hunter who has one of those feeders. Sure was frustrating to install it, run the test, see that it works, fill it with corn and then have it not work! Didn't get back for a couple weeks, so had a full non functioning feeder. Sure did pi$$ me off! If they only work with those name brand batteries, they should include on with the feeder when they sell it!

Last edited by George - w/ Map My Ranch; 11/26/18 05:31 PM.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Dont buy this crappy feeder! [Re: Sparky45] #7358735 11/26/18 10:16 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
If you bought a replacement at Academy you likely didn't improve on quality much.

Re: Dont buy this crappy feeder! [Re: JCB] #7359212 11/27/18 04:35 AM
S
Sparky45 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
Maybe not on quality but I did on reliability
It works every time

Re: Dont buy this crappy feeder! [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7359217 11/27/18 04:38 AM
S
Sparky45 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by George - w/ Map My Ranch
I have the exact same feeder. Before you shoot your controller unit, which I also wanted to do at one time, let me make a quick suggestion...try using a Duracell or Energizer 6V battery. I had a fully charged battery that was an off brand name, which worked in ALL my other feeders, but not in that one. I got a hold of a customer service agent who said for whatever reason, those feeders only like the two name brand batteries mentioned above. Sure enough, I replaced it with a Duracell 6v 5ah (they said the greater the amp hours (ah) the better, but 5ah minimum) and it works like a charm. I saw you upgraded your unit already, so maybe this suggestions might help the next hunter who has one of those feeders. Sure was frustrating to install it, run the test, see that it works, fill it with corn and then have it not work! Didn't get back for a couple weeks, so had a full non functioning feeder. Sure did pi$$ me off! If they only work with those name brand batteries, they should include on with the feeder when they sell it!

I understand what you said about what they told you but I dont understand the brand name having anything to do with it if the volts and amps are the same

Maybe someone else having trouble can try that and see if it works
I had just come to the end of my rope with that POS

Re: Dont buy this crappy feeder! [Re: Sparky45] #7359247 11/27/18 05:37 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I've had three of them for almost 3 years and haven't had any issues. In fact, the original spinner battery was still working when I changed them out before the season. Maybe you just got unlucky.

Re: Dont buy this crappy feeder! [Re: Sparky45] #7359930 11/27/18 09:36 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I might have a spare Game Winner or two laying around, brand new, if you need another one or a spare. I usually buy the Game Winner controller motor box assembly and put "The Timer" and fresh 6v rechargeable battery. I have added a solar panel with a self tapping screws onto the back of the box which is plenty to maintain the battery for months.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Dont buy this crappy feeder! [Re: Sparky45] #7359943 11/27/18 09:46 PM
O
oldstyle244 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
I posted about mine not too long ago. I have 2 of them, they worked fine forever, now this season, I am pretty sure one is not working (never have to fill it more than a half bag of corn) but it works when I hit the test button.

The other, I never hear it go off but I fill it constantly and I do see corn on the ground at time, if i hit test it goes off. But this one is also lower to the ground and I see deer eating out of the spinner plate, so not really sure if it works or they are using it as an on demand feeder

I may change the batteries and see if that makes a difference or not.

Re: Dont buy this crappy feeder! [Re: Sparky45] #7360068 11/27/18 11:12 PM
JDP Ranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Sounds like the Capsule feeder I just bought. Damn thing is so inconsistent. One of the worse feelings is hunting a feeder - seeing no deer - only to realize the damn thing isn't going off.

Re: Dont buy this crappy feeder! [Re: oldstyle244] #7360298 11/28/18 02:58 AM
S
Sparky45 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by oldstyle244
I posted about mine not too long ago. I have 2 of them, they worked fine forever, now this season, I am pretty sure one is not working (never have to fill it more than a half bag of corn) but it works when I hit the test button.

The other, I never hear it go off but I fill it constantly and I do see corn on the ground at time, if i hit test it goes off. But this one is also lower to the ground and I see deer eating out of the spinner plate, so not really sure if it works or they are using it as an on demand feeder

I may change the batteries and see if that makes a difference or not.

Before when it wouldn’t go off during the set time, I could hear a faint clicking sound inside it when the clock hit the time it was supposed to go off, so I thought that it was a relay trying to close.
The small AA battery that runs the clock, has to close a relay that turns on the motor to run the spinner.

So when I changed out the AA for a fresh Energizer, it seemed to work fine, then a week later, it went right back to doing the same crap.
I think its a relay inside that causes them to not go off.

When you have a problem like that, it’s hard to determine what’s wrong in the field, so I just replaced the POS with one that I know will work

Re: Dont buy this crappy feeder! [Re: Sparky45] #7360844 11/28/18 05:21 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Sparky45

I understand what you said about what they told you but I dont understand the brand name having anything to do with it if the volts and amps are the same

I completely understand and it makes no sense at all...but I figured instead of disassembling and emptying out the corn and taking it back to the store i would try their suggestion. It shouldn't make a difference on the type of battery if it has all the same volts and amps, I agree...but for whatever reason, it made the difference. confused2 Just figured I'd mention it in case anyone else has an issue.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Dont buy this crappy feeder! [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7361558 11/29/18 03:44 AM
S
Sparky45 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S

I completely understand and it makes no sense at all...but I figured instead of disassembling and emptying out the corn and taking it back to the store i would try their suggestion. It shouldn't make a difference on the type of battery if it has all the same volts and amps, I agree...but for whatever reason, it made the difference. confused2 Just figured I'd mention it in case anyone else has an issue.

That’s great information. I didn’t have to empty mine or take it back. I just stuffed a rag in the bottom hole while I swapped out the controller

Re: Dont buy this crappy feeder! [Re: Sparky45] #7363284 12/01/18 12:42 AM
R
Ranch Dawg Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Trashed one as well, battery always dead. Solar panel too close to spinner,,,condensation or rain gets the solar panel wet, corn dust coats the solar panel. It gets so thick the solar panel gets no sun.

THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS.

F##K YOU JOE BIDEN !!!!!
Re: Dont buy this crappy feeder! [Re: Sparky45] #7363514 12/01/18 05:13 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Have 4 Monarchs going on 15 years now and other 2 on The Timers.

That sunslinger looks ridiculous. What the heck is in that thing??

Re: Dont buy this crappy feeder! [Re: Sparky45] #7363517 12/01/18 05:21 AM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Guy that I hunt with has one and it crapped out on him. Sunslingers suck!!

Re: Dont buy this crappy feeder! [Re: Sparky45] #7367559 12/05/18 02:17 PM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Worst feeder timer/motor ever by far

Re: Dont buy this crappy feeder! [Re: Sparky45] #7371896 12/10/18 02:19 AM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I’ve run 4 of them for 5 years with no issues.

Re: Dont buy this crappy feeder! [Re: Sparky45] #7379198 12/17/18 05:30 PM
L
Lotto Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Get an All Seasons and be done with it.

Re: Dont buy this crappy feeder! [Re: Sparky45] #7391974 01/01/19 03:30 AM
M
mow Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M

That’s great information. I didn’t have to empty mine or take it back. I just stuffed a rag in the bottom hole while I swapped out the controller
i use a rag..a sock most of the time when im repairing a full drum/barrel

Re: Dont buy this crappy feeder! [Re: Sparky45] #7395266 01/04/19 07:45 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Gorilla tape works fine.

Re: Dont buy this crappy feeder! [Re: Sparky45] #7399975 01/09/19 05:46 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I always use a piece of corn sack to stop it up if I need to.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Dont buy this crappy feeder! [Re: JDP Ranch] #7402282 01/12/19 01:55 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by JonPace
Sounds like the Capsule feeder I just bought. Damn thing is so inconsistent. One of the worse feelings is hunting a feeder - seeing no deer - only to realize the damn thing isn't going off.

I have a few capsules. If it isn’t working call them. They have always been the best company o ever dealt with on service.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide