Forums46
Topics538,006
Posts9,731,706
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: don k] #7384728 12/23/18 01:11 AM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
In this case, the hunters should do rock, paper, scissors to determine who tags it!!

Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Texas Dan] #7384770 12/23/18 02:00 AM
B
Brother Phil Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I have been on numerous deer leases. This issue has never came up. There is nothing "gray" about it. If a lease member did not understand the rules, I would be happy to explain them, and have done so. However, if a member intentionally did not follow the game laws, they would get the boot.

Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Blank] #7384937 12/23/18 06:26 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Blank
Some states allow "party hunting", but they are rare and the definition is worded in their regs. Iowa is one which allows it only during firearms season.

Didn’t know that.

Sharing tags seems akin to using permits when you think about it. Or do those of you on the LAMPS program assign tags to specific hunters and allow them to go unused when the hunter fails to take a permitted animal?

If license sales continue to decline as they have at the national level, party hunting could become an incentive to address it.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: ChrisB] #7384967 12/23/18 10:01 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by snake oil
The legal way is to give him the deer. There should be a transfer document in the back of the hunting guide.

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Shooter has to tag the deer.

First two posts summed it up nicely...

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Texas Dan] #7384997 12/23/18 01:06 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
When I was in my teens bowhunting mule deer in Colorado we would have maybe 20 guys in our camp. The warden would come around and offer us a "camp tag" to use. It was an extra tag for either sex muley and could be shot by anyone in camp. Those days are looong gone.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Texas Dan] #7385024 12/23/18 01:45 PM
D
don k Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
A group of you are dove hunting. A few are better shots than some. It is getting close to sunset. There are 5 of you and say the limit is 10 per person. You have all the doves on the tailgate and there are only 40. You going to tell me the good shooters are going to leave it at that? And how does each know which are the doves he shot? I have had hunters that have crippled a deer. The deer is still alive. I have dispatched the deer. So now I was supposed to tag the deer? If a warden comes into camp and wants to give polygraphs to all the hunters to make sure each deer has the proper tag of each hunter they have way to much time on their hands.

Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Texas Dan] #7385031 12/23/18 01:56 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Although illegal, I have seen several cases where hunters and landowners acted as if it were common practice. I have seen a landowner purchase a license so his hunters would not have to use one of their tags to provide him with venison for the winter, and where a hunter offered to tag a lesser buck taken by someone more interested in antlers. In every case, the focus was on someone who purchased a license wanting meat for their own consumption.

While I would never condone an illegal practice, I can understand why it may be far more common that many believe and why I thought the topic warranted discussion.

Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Texas Dan] #7385053 12/23/18 02:23 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

While I would never condone an illegal practice, I can understand why it may be far more common that many believe and why I thought the topic warranted discussion.

I think you are right, but I agree with most here that there’s nothing gray about it.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Texas Dan] #7385260 12/23/18 07:33 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
There used to be an outfitter here that was a true Champion in tags bartering

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Texas Dan] #7385269 12/23/18 07:42 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
READ THE REGS....A

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Texas Dan] #7385651 12/24/18 05:42 AM
B
bossbowman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Of course I could be wrong, but something that I suspect is not entirely rare in the deer hunting community is for one licensed hunter to tag another licensed hunter’s deer. While I’ve never done it myself, I have had guys say they would tag a deer if I were to get one, more as a way for them to acquire some venison. Some might say the practice is clearly illegal, while others might say if both hunters are licensed, have tags available, and the deer is legal, there is no foul. I also suspect it’s something that’s more likely near the end of the season.

What are your thoughts?

Admit you did that to the game warden and see what happen, I'l give you a hint, you'll get a ticket.

Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Texas Dan] #7385659 12/24/18 06:41 AM
H
Hirogen Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
Some states allow "party hunting", but they are rare and the definition is worded in their regs. Iowa is one which allows it only during firearms season.

Didn’t know that.

Sharing tags seems akin to using permits when you think about it. Or do those of you on the LAMPS program assign tags to specific hunters and allow them to go unused when the hunter fails to take a permitted animal?

If license sales continue to decline as they have at the national level, party hunting could become an incentive to address it.

Not relevant to Texas but it is legal in my part of the world and not just for rifle - all methods. Only requirements are the other hunter must be within 3 miles at the time of the kill, all parties must be licensed, communication between hunters must be possible at all times, and the tag must be applied as soon as is reasonably possible and before the animal is transported. Not just deer either we can do the same for elk, bear, and moose as well.

Last edited by Hirogen; 12/24/18 06:45 AM.

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Hirogen] #7385786 12/24/18 02:38 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Hirogen

Didn’t know that.

Not relevant to Texas but it is legal in my part of the world and not just for rifle - all methods. Only requirements are the other hunter must be within 3 miles at the time of the kill, all parties must be licensed, communication between hunters must be possible at all times, and the tag must be applied as soon as is reasonably possible and before the animal is transported. Not just deer either we can do the same for elk, bear, and moose as well.

With the technology that we have available today, hunters can constantly in touch with one another quite easily.

Should there become talk of implementing these same guidelines in Texas, I’m sure there will be those who will fight it because they believe it could increase the chances of someone killing “their” deer.

Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: don k] #7386971 12/26/18 01:57 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by don k
A group of you are dove hunting. A few are better shots than some. It is getting close to sunset. There are 5 of you and say the limit is 10 per person. You have all the doves on the tailgate and there are only 40. You going to tell me the good shooters are going to leave it at that? And how does each know which are the doves he shot?.

Party limits are illegal, so I don't see why there would be a discussion. Shoot YOUR limit. Easy to know what bird is mine, because I pick them up as I shoot them and put them in my bag. The only issue we've ever had is two shooters on one bird, who shot it? Not a big deal someone just claims it and puts it in their bag, counts towards their limit.

There's really no grey area at all. Whoever dispatches the animal claims it and tags it or counts it towards their limit.

Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Texas Dan] #7388637 12/28/18 03:47 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Clearly illegal. It's not something I'm gonna try to change anyone's mind about. I wouldn't hunt with them either.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Texas Dan] #7403700 01/14/19 01:28 AM
J
JKW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Clearly illegal, no gray area. Just another method of circumventing the bag limits to enable someone to take more than their share. No different than shooting an extra buck and not tagging it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide