Page 1 of 2 1 2
Clearly illegal or in that gray area? #7383191 12/21/18 12:18 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Of course I could be wrong, but something that I suspect is not entirely rare in the deer hunting community is for one licensed hunter to tag another licensed hunter’s deer. While I’ve never done it myself, I have had guys say they would tag a deer if I were to get one, more as a way for them to acquire some venison. Some might say the practice is clearly illegal, while others might say if both hunters are licensed, have tags available, and the deer is legal, there is no foul. I also suspect it’s something that’s more likely near the end of the season.

What are your thoughts?

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Texas Dan] #7383199 12/21/18 12:31 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
The legal way is to give him the deer. There should be a transfer document in the back of the hunting guide.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Texas Dan] #7383204 12/21/18 12:33 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Shooter has to tag the deer.

Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: snake oil] #7383216 12/21/18 12:40 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by snake oil
There should be a transfer document in the back of the hunting guide.

It can also be found here

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Texas Dan] #7383272 12/21/18 01:17 PM
H
Hunter Daddy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Thanks Texas Dan....
I printed out copies to keep at our ranch.

Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Texas Dan] #7383273 12/21/18 01:17 PM
H
HWY72 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
1) Common sense says it's clearly illegal. No different than a driver and passenger swapping seats on a traffic stop.

2) These are the same folks of low moral character that think lease rules don't apply to them. For example: They think it's OK for them to take extra bucks off a one buck lease as long as the other lease members don't know about it.

Last edited by HWY72; 12/21/18 01:18 PM. Reason: typo
Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Texas Dan] #7383280 12/21/18 01:25 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Shooter MUST tag the deer. Anything else is illegal.

The shooter may give you his deer using the Wildlife Resource Document referenced by Texas Dan. Under no circumstance is it legal for one shooter to tag a deer they killed with another hunter's tag.

And don't forget to fill out the harvest log on the back of your hunting license for each tag used. If a tag is missing and the harvest log is not filled out, the GW will give you a ticket. $500.

From the link below:

A tag from the hunting license of the person who killed the deer must be correctly and legibly completed (including name of property and county) and immediately attached to the animal (exception is properties with issued tags such as MLD tags).

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/licenses/tagging-instructions/tagging-deer

Last edited by fouzman; 12/21/18 01:35 PM.
Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Texas Dan] #7383306 12/21/18 01:42 PM
D
dlrz71 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Shouldn't be a "gray" area at all. Hunter purchases license to be able to hunt and take game. You don't pull the trigger you don't tag anything it's that simple.

We have had this come up on our lease since it states if family hunting with you it comes off your tag. Some people don't understand that this is your tag on the lease not your physical tag on license.

Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Texas Dan] #7383322 12/21/18 02:04 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Surprises me all the legal questions on here lately. All this is in the hand book and not extremely hard to understand. Like "party limits" when bird hunting, tagging a deer you didn't shoot is illegal and not immediately tagging a deer that you shot, With YOUR tag, is also illegal. The only reason to use some else's tag would be to save your own so that you can shoot more than your limit.....That's boarder line poaching in my eyes.

I drop my deer off at the processor all the time with my tags on them. If someone wants one of my deer I just call the processor and tell him who will be picking up and paying for my meat.....simple.

Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: dlrz71] #7383406 12/21/18 03:05 PM
F
fmrmbmlm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Originally Posted by dlrz71
Shouldn't be a "gray" area at all. Hunter purchases license to be able to hunt and take game. You don't pull the trigger you don't tag anything it's that simple.

We have had this come up on our lease since it states if family hunting with you it comes off your tag. Some people don't understand that this is your tag on the lease not your physical tag on license.
Counts against your bag limit and sex of animal allowed.

Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Texas Dan] #7383425 12/21/18 03:23 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
No such thing as a grey area when it comes to a licensed hunter taking a deer.
The rules are the rules, and if you don't understand them a Game Warden will happily explain.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Texas Dan] #7383434 12/21/18 03:30 PM
B
Blank Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Clearly illegal under Texas statutes. Some states allow "party hunting", but they are rare and the definition is worded in their regs. Iowa is one which allows it only during firearms season.

Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Texas Dan] #7383460 12/21/18 03:56 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I do not understand hunters forgetting their license, I see this several times a season, and they go hunting anyways. And then they go looking for some else's tag to put on the deer.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: 8pointdrop] #7383471 12/21/18 04:06 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by 8pointdrop
Surprises me all the legal questions on here lately. All this is in the hand book and not extremely hard to understand. Like "party limits" when bird hunting, tagging a deer you didn't shoot is illegal and not immediately tagging a deer that you shot, With YOUR tag, is also illegal. The only reason to use some else's tag would be to save your own so that you can shoot more than your limit.....That's boarder line poaching in my eyes.

I drop my deer off at the processor all the time with my tags on them. If someone wants one of my deer I just call the processor and tell him who will be picking up and paying for my meat.....simple.

Seen it done for many other reason's, mostly a knucklehead that forgot their license, or someone that decided to hunt that flat out did not have a license. I do not condone this, but it happens. NEVER have I seen it done to increase a bag limit.
There too many ways to get extra deer legally with out having to borrow tags.

Last edited by Simple Searcher; 12/21/18 04:13 PM.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: snake oil] #7383481 12/21/18 04:26 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
[quote=snake oil]The legal way is to give him the deer. There should be a transfer document in the back of the hunting guide.[/quote

I should have been more clear. The shooter has to tag the animal then he or she can give it away.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Texas Dan] #7383487 12/21/18 04:31 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Just like speeding, it is clearly illegal, so are throwing all your birds in a pile and possibly all your fish in one ice chest. Some people do it to abuse things some don't.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Texas Dan] #7383506 12/21/18 04:50 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Illegal but dumb law. Tags a tag. It not going to decimate the deer population. Law is the law though pretty black and white.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Texas Dan] #7383522 12/21/18 05:10 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Strongly disagree that it's a dumb law. Season bag limits per/person are set for a reason. If they weren't, a bunch of unscrupulous people would be buying bunches of licenses and killing many more than their prescribed limit(s). If this happened on a large sale, which it would, wildlife species could end up threatened. That's why an individual is only allowed to purchase one license per year.

Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Texas Dan] #7383554 12/21/18 05:40 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Some states require the recipient to have an unfilled tag if they accept a whole animal, the person of harvest still has to tag it too.

Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Simple Searcher] #7383585 12/21/18 06:02 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
Originally Posted by 8pointdrop

Seen it done for many other reason's, mostly a knucklehead that forgot their license, or someone that decided to hunt that flat out did not have a license. I do not condone this, but it happens. NEVER have I seen it done to increase a bag limit.
There too many ways to get extra deer legally with out having to borrow tags.

LOTS of the times I've heard of it being done it was to save a tag. Usually in one buck counties. Hunter shoots a less than desirable buck and to save his one buck tag he calls Uncle, Brother, or lease member that isn't worried about horns and wants meat to use their tag so he can keep hunting. A person hunting without a license at all and hoping someone lets them use a tag would probably be the least likely case.....

Either way that person is barley above a poacher in my eyes.

Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: fouzman] #7383618 12/21/18 06:43 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by fouzman
Strongly disagree that it's a dumb law. Season bag limits per/person are set for a reason. If they weren't, a bunch of unscrupulous people would be buying bunches of licenses and killing many more than their prescribed limit(s). If this happened on a large sale, which it would, wildlife species could end up threatened. That's why an individual is only allowed to purchase one license per year.

You may feel like that will happen and it may In very isolated instances but several facts/numbers disagree from a large scale stand point, especially from a private property state.

First-99.99999% of ranches enrolled in MLD report of needing way more deer being taken then currently is and/or hunter tag allocation , that generally holds true to majority of Texas out side isolated ETX and WTX pockets

Second -average deer killed per “Deer” specific hunter is actually only 1.1 per TPWD studies...

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_rp_w7000_0718b.pdf

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Texas Dan] #7383729 12/21/18 08:52 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
The "Game Warden Field Notes" section of the TP&W site is full of citations for hunting of another's license.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Texas Dan] #7383787 12/21/18 09:59 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Two people shoot at a deer at the same time. The deer is killed. By whom who knows. One of them puts a tag on the deer. Maybe it wasn't his shot that killed the deer. It turns out it was the other persons shot that killed it. So now the first person that tagged it has broken the law? Should they both put a tag on it to be safe or is that illegal also?

Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: don k] #7384145 12/22/18 08:06 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by don k
Two people shoot at a deer at the same time. The deer is killed. By whom who knows. One of them puts a tag on the deer. Maybe it wasn't his shot that killed the deer. It turns out it was the other persons shot that killed it. So now the first person that tagged it has broken the law? Should they both put a tag on it to be safe or is that illegal also?

What the heck? Some of you have way too much drama or time on your hands to think of stuff. Didn't know you were in east Texas. Hopefully you haven't dealt with that. Have you?

Re: Clearly illegal or in that gray area? [Re: Txduckman] #7384205 12/22/18 01:06 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Txduckman
Originally Posted by don k

What the heck? Some of you have way too much drama or time on your hands to think of stuff. Didn't know you were in east Texas. Hopefully you haven't dealt with that. Have you?

No to neither the time or drama. A deer is dead and has a tag on it. Who gives a rats rear end who killed it. And like always this is just my opinion. And no I am not in East Texas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide