Print Thread
Sheriff department hosts First Gun Class for kids... #7383793 12/21/18 10:07 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Heard about this on the radio this afternoon driving in from a job. They are promoting a gun safety course taught by deputies for first time gun owners for kiddos who received a firearm for Christmas. Anything from a BB gun to a deer rifle. The course for this year is planned for Dec 27th.

WHAT A FANTASTIC PROGRAM!

We need to get programs like this going in all 254 Texas counties! Contact your local sheriff about starting such a program. I'll be talking to mine this next week.

Here is the write-up from last year...

Sheriff Prator hosts First Gun Class for Kids

Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Registration is currently underway for children ages 8 to 12 to participate in the Caddo Sheriff’s Office "First Gun Course." The 4-hour class will be offered from 8 a.m. until noon on two dates - December 9 and 16. All classes will be held at the Sheriff's Regional Law Enforcement Training Academy, 15639 Highway One South.

Designed for kids only, the course provides basic instruction for those who may never have fired a gun but want to be able to use one safely. It's also recommended for kids who will receive a new BB gun, shotgun, or hunting rifle for Christmas.

“Children who will receive a gun for Christmas can try it for the first time in front of certified law enforcement academy firearms instructors,” Sheriff Steve Prator said. “Parents are wise to want their children to know basic firearms safety before a gun is given as a gift,” Prator said.

Children are welcome to attend the course with BB guns, pellet guns, .22 rifles, and small caliber shotguns. No high-powered rifles will be allowed. Only BB's and .22 ammunition will be supplied by the training academy. Through generous donations by local citizens, Wal-Mart, and local wholesalers, those children without a gun can use one supplied at the academy. Participants will shoot skeet and also fixed targets supplied by the National Rifle Association Foundation.

There's no cost for the course, but pre-registration is required. Space is very limited, and Caddo Parish residents will be given preference. An adult must remain with the child throughout the course. To register, call 681-0735.

Caddo Parish Sheriff "First gun" page link

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Sheriff department hosts First Gun Class for kids... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7383798 12/21/18 10:11 PM
218 Bee Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker

An outstanding effort! Thanks for sharing!

Mark

[Linked Image]

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness". - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Re: Sheriff department hosts First Gun Class for kids... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7383833 12/21/18 10:52 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
I so love my adopted state and the wonderful folks who make it such a great place to live. Only in Texas would you have the common sense and along with the caring individuals to implement such a great program.

Re: Sheriff department hosts First Gun Class for kids... [Re: Flashprism] #7383900 12/22/18 12:14 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Flashprism
I so love my adopted state and the wonderful folks who make it such a great place to live. Only in Texas would you have the common sense and along with the caring individuals to implement such a great program.

This is actually in Caddo Parish LA (Shreveport) where I'm working. I'm going to discuss this with the Freestone county Sheriff where I live in Fairfield.

Still a southern thing and something that needs to be happening in every single Texas county!

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Sheriff department hosts First Gun Class for kids... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7384306 12/22/18 02:53 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Yeah, that is a very cool program.

Re: Sheriff department hosts First Gun Class for kids... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7384346 12/22/18 03:33 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
That's awesome get those kiddos into shooting and hunting. I'd be happy to volunteer my time to help here in Young county.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide