Page 1 of 2 1 2
Squirrel hunting SHNF. Questions. #7373487 12/11/18 05:55 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
I haven’t hunted squirrel since I was a kid. But my son is ready to get started hunting this year. He’s getting a .22 and a .410 for Christmas. I was wanting to take him squirrel hunting in January. Closest place would be Sam Houston. Any tips would be appreciated. I didn’t see a means of take anywhere. I assume using a .22 would be frowned upon since there could be people around? Or can I use a .22?

Re: Squirrel hunting SHNF. Questions. [Re: Thisisbeer] #7373719 12/11/18 08:53 PM
D
D Rogers Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Rimfire is fine, but even air rifles are legal starting this season. I find that a .410 almost isnt enough gun for getting them in the tops of the pines in the SHNF. Personally, I like the east side of I-45. The areas near Karolyis gymnastics camp has a lot of bottom lands and mature timber that provide great squirrel hunting. The creeks are lined with oak groves because they dont Timber the bottoms, so thats where I would focus. Forest Service rd 206 has a spot about half way between fs 246 and fs 200 where 2 large creeks cross the road within a few hundred yards of each other. This, in my experience, is a great section of woods for just about any type of hunting. Best of luck to you sir, and congrats on getting the little man out into the woods. My parents live about 10 minutes from the place I'm talking about, so I've hunted the area my entire life. Lots of great memories out there. My boys both love the woods too and I like to see guys getting their kids involved, which s the only reason I'm being so forthcoming up

~Dustin

"Life's complicated, man, like a dang ol' Rubik's cube, man. Talkin' 'bout blue and red, man. Dang ol' get one side, dang ol' messed up th' other side, man."

-Boomhauer
Re: Squirrel hunting SHNF. Questions. [Re: Thisisbeer] #7373758 12/11/18 09:19 PM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Take both.Hunting them with a scoped .22 is more sporting and fun in my opinion but if you're just after some meat use a shotgun. Use to hunt them as a teen in Georgia. While you're in the woods you should think about doing some Woodcock hunting. You'll only find them in wet,soggy spots in the woods.Usually a bamboo thicket. They use that long beak to poke in the soft ground for worms and grubs. Smaller than a quail and harder to hit as well!

Re: Squirrel hunting SHNF. Questions. [Re: D Rogers] #7373759 12/11/18 09:23 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Drogers6771
Rimfire is fine, but even air rifles are legal starting this season. I find that a .410 almost isnt enough gun for getting them in the tops of the pines in the SHNF. Personally, I like the east side of I-45. The areas near Karolyis gymnastics camp has a lot of bottom lands and mature timber that provide great squirrel hunting. The creeks are lined with oak groves because they dont Timber the bottoms, so thats where I would focus. Forest Service rd 206 has a spot about half way between fs 246 and fs 200 where 2 large creeks cross the road within a few hundred yards of each other. This, in my experience, is a great section of woods for just about any type of hunting. Best of luck to you sir, and congrats on getting the little man out into the woods. My parents live about 10 minutes from the place I'm talking about, so I've hunted the area my entire life. Lots of great memories out there. My boys both love the woods too and I like to see guys getting their kids involved, which s the only reason I'm being so forthcoming up

Thank you! I didn't expect that much information. My son really hasn't shown to much ambition to go hunting. He likes shooting but I guess hunting just seemed boring. I had to force him into a deer stand one weekend this year. He just sat there and read a book. But about 2 hours in he spotted an old spike. I missed that spike (another story), but he was so excited he wanted to go back hunting every chance he got after that this year. The last few weeks his interest has skyrocketed. I would be lying if I said I wasn't more excited than him.

Re: Squirrel hunting SHNF. Questions. [Re: Thisisbeer] #7373819 12/11/18 10:22 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Find the right spot, and the squirrel hunting can be very productive at the SHNF!
[Linked Image]

Re: Squirrel hunting SHNF. Questions. [Re: Palehorse] #7374405 12/12/18 01:54 PM
D
D Rogers Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Palehorse
Find the right spot, and the squirrel hunting can be very productive at the SHNF!
[Linked Image]

Nice haul!

~Dustin

"Life's complicated, man, like a dang ol' Rubik's cube, man. Talkin' 'bout blue and red, man. Dang ol' get one side, dang ol' messed up th' other side, man."

-Boomhauer
Re: Squirrel hunting SHNF. Questions. [Re: D Rogers] #7374527 12/12/18 03:17 PM
C
chalet Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Drogers6771
[Linked Image]

Nice haul!

Very nice. Makes me want to make the 4hr drive and a weekend just to chase squirrels. My kids and other kids I have taken afield are generally the same way about deer hunting. They like it ok but don't get enthused about sitting in a deer stand hours on end for 1 or 2 shots. Basically its boredom and I'm not taking a screen along so they can play games.

I have found they generally like squirrel hunting a lot better. When I think about it, I actually enjoy squirrel hunting more also. You can move around, noise isn't that big of deal, you can start and stop when you want and there is generally more action and shooting. Get done, clean your squirrels and cook them at camp so they are a part of the end result. Makes it a complete experience and a nice way to end a hunt.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Squirrel hunting SHNF. Questions. [Re: Thisisbeer] #7374545 12/12/18 03:35 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I think some folks see squirrels in town and think that squirrels in the woods are just like them. Those are the folks that come home empty handed and claim there are no squirrels in that part of the woods. Squirrel hunting can be very challenging and it's an acquired skill. To learn how to slip through the woods quietly, use your ears as well as your eyes, and know your tree species and habitat are all skills that will translate to being a good deer hunter. It's a great way to teach kids to hunt, but it's a good way to sharpen the skills of an experienced hunter as well.

You show me a good squirrel hunter, and I'll show you a good hunter.

Re: Squirrel hunting SHNF. Questions. [Re: Palehorse] #7375310 12/13/18 02:24 AM
T
Thisisbeer Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
I think some folks see squirrels in town and think that squirrels in the woods are just like them. Those are the folks that come home empty handed and claim there are no squirrels in that part of the woods. Squirrel hunting can be very challenging and it's an acquired skill. To learn how to slip through the woods quietly, use your ears as well as your eyes, and know your tree species and habitat are all skills that will translate to being a good deer hunter. It's a great way to teach kids to hunt, but it's a good way to sharpen the skills of an experienced hunter as well.

You show me a good squirrel hunter, and I'll show you a good hunter.

That was well said. I remember thinking the same thing as a teenager. Growing up in a suburb of Houston squirrels were commonplace. But when I would get out on our family ranch it seemed like squirrels would vanish.

Re: Squirrel hunting SHNF. Questions. [Re: Thisisbeer] #7381466 12/19/18 04:48 PM
N
nate33 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
I had a double barrel .410, hunted squirrels with it,,,,,,,,,, often I would fire both barrels at the same time ( it had 2 triggers) and the squirrel would still run away wounded.

Re: Squirrel hunting SHNF. Questions. [Re: Thisisbeer] #7382146 12/20/18 06:39 AM
C
cliffie Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Knew a guy from TN who only used a 22 pistol (S&W 41) to hunt squirrels.
He limited every day- ALL head shots!

Re: Squirrel hunting SHNF. Questions. [Re: nate33] #7382352 12/20/18 03:05 PM
D
D Rogers Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by nate33
I had a double barrel .410, hunted squirrels with it,,,,,,,,,, often I would fire both barrels at the same time ( it had 2 triggers) and the squirrel would still run away wounded.

In the tall trees out here the .410 just isnt enough. 20 gauge minimum or .22 or hell even a good pellet gun now that they are legal are all better than the .410

~Dustin

-Boomhauer
Re: Squirrel hunting SHNF. Questions. [Re: Thisisbeer] #7442938 02/24/19 04:23 PM
T
tplusfive Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
I went out to SHNF yesterday with my daughter. I have been hunting once before with a relative and that's it. I was pretty much along for the ride that time. I want to say thank you for the idea of squirrel hunting as a way to get started into hunting. My daughter had this interest and I don't know how to hunt. We had a great time. She seemed to love it. We got worn out smile Didn't see a single squirrel. We thought we MAY have heard some smile Whoever said these country squirrels are not like city squirrels was spot on. It was a really great adventure for us and we hope to try again.

I noticed squirrel season in SHNF ends today. Does anyone know other public lands where we could hunt in the months ahead? O does anyone have suggestions of other game we could still hunt that is good for beginners?

Last edited by tplusfive; 02/24/19 04:24 PM.
Re: Squirrel hunting SHNF. Questions. [Re: Thisisbeer] #7443171 02/24/19 11:40 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
You can still hunt rabbits year around. Use a shotgun or for more of a challenge a .22. Just sneak around the edges of the woods and brush at dawn and dusk. Dewberry briar patches usually have a few. In a few weeks, you and your little girl should be able to pick a bunch of dewberries too!

Re: Squirrel hunting SHNF. Questions. [Re: Palehorse] #7444409 02/26/19 04:11 AM
T
tplusfive Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
Had to look up a picture of a dewberry smile Looks just like a blackberry.

Thank you for the suggestion about rabbits. That's something we could definitely try. Really prefer to learn with something easier than a deer. We learned a lot just going through the steps of going out for this squirrel hunt the first time. Thanks again!

Last edited by tplusfive; 02/26/19 04:11 AM.
Re: Squirrel hunting SHNF. Questions. [Re: tplusfive] #7444749 02/26/19 05:45 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted by tplusfive
Had to look up a picture of a dewberry smile Looks just like a blackberry.

Thank you for the suggestion about rabbits. That's something we could definitely try. Really prefer to learn with something easier than a deer. We learned a lot just going through the steps of going out for this squirrel hunt the first time. Thanks again!

My pleasure. A lot of new hunters skip the small game and go straight to deer. I think that they are missing out on a lot of fun and some really good hunting opportunities. I'm glad to see you having fun with your little girl too!

As far as the dewberries, a lot of folks call them blackberries but they are different. I like them better because they aren't as seedy.

Re: Squirrel hunting SHNF. Questions. [Re: Thisisbeer] #7444948 02/26/19 08:44 PM
machine73 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
There's lots to learn about field craft through small game hunting. It's a great way for both kids and adults new to hunting to learn. tplusfive, also think about picking up a book on foraging in Texas and you and your daughter can also look for edible plants while out hunting. That's really fun too. I like Idiot's Guide: Foraging by Mayweather. He also has a website and gives classes in the Houston area for a reasonable price. May be fun for ya'll.

Re: Squirrel hunting SHNF. Questions. [Re: Thisisbeer] #7460386 03/17/19 02:37 AM
T
tplusfive Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
Thank you again Palehorse smile

I may check out that book machine73. Sounds like it could be a nice addition to our outings.

Re: Squirrel hunting SHNF. Questions. [Re: Thisisbeer] #7490962 04/18/19 06:13 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I got sort of burned out deer hunting. I'm getting older, it is harder to drive out and hike into a stand pre-dawn, then drag out a heavy animal. When I was a kid I hunted squirrel with a shotgun because the goal was to get as many squirrels as possible. When I recently got back into squirrel hunting I decided to use only a .22 rimfire. I am again having FUN, Squirrels taste great and are easy to carry. I really enjoy it. I've called in a few and that is also fun, seeing a squirrel bounce from tree to tree headed in your direction.

Re: Squirrel hunting SHNF. Questions. [Re: Thisisbeer] #7492312 04/20/19 12:52 PM
Reloder28 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Tag

[b][/b]
Re: Squirrel hunting SHNF. Questions. [Re: Thisisbeer] #7584405 08/20/19 11:38 AM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I am looking at in taking my wifes nephew squirrel hunting this fall here. I am looking at the APH booklet online and it shows there is no season for squirrel. However when I scroll down to the next page there is a "Youth Hunt" box. For squirrel its says, "Youth/Adult Squirrel: Sept 28-29." Is that for a special weekend hunt only? I know it's pretty much open season on squirrel.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Squirrel hunting SHNF. Questions. [Re: Herbie Hancock] #7584529 08/20/19 01:49 PM
machine73 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Sam Houston NF's squirrel season follows the season for East Texas.

Re: Squirrel hunting SHNF. Questions. [Re: Herbie Hancock] #7584555 08/20/19 02:09 PM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
I am looking at in taking my wifes nephew squirrel hunting this fall here. I am looking at the APH booklet online and it shows there is no season for squirrel. However when I scroll down to the next page there is a "Youth Hunt" box. For squirrel its says, "Youth/Adult Squirrel: Sept 28-29." Is that for a special weekend hunt only? I know it's pretty much open season on squirrel.

Squirrel season for adults on SHNF opens oct 1 but youths with an adult are allowed to get a "jumpstart" sept 28-29.

Re: Squirrel hunting SHNF. Questions. [Re: Thisisbeer] #7584558 08/20/19 02:17 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Thanks, I just looked in the outdoor annual and then it all makes sense now.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Squirrel hunting SHNF. Questions. [Re: Thisisbeer] #7584734 08/20/19 06:03 PM
L
Lalo Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Sounds like you got it figured out, but just for future reference, and maybe for others: When the APH Public Hunting book lists a species without dates, it is understood that the hunting for that species is open whenever it is open in that county.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide