Sam Houston National Forest Parking and Info #7379394 12/17/18 08:56 PM
D
DAVO Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
Good afternoon Ladies/Gentleman,

Being a vet I miss the hurry up and wait of the military lifestyle so I am getting into the hunting scene. I have been a couple times but I would like try hunt the national forest. I have completed a lot of research about the forest with a lot of map searching withing the areas surrounding the forest. It seems that there might be some decent hunting ground. I have a couple questions though:

1) Without giving away too many secrets, where is a good area to search for a hunting spot? Is it better near 59 or 45?

2) Is there designated parking spaces for hunting? Can you park on the side of the road as long as it doesn't impede traffic?

3) Do you guys have any other pointers for SHNF?

I have a couple buddies that I will be hunting with, more on a lease, and would be welcoming to meet someone at the forest to hunt if your familiar with the area.

Re: Sam Houston National Forest Parking and Info [Re: DAVO] #7380696 12/18/18 10:14 PM
A
AdanV Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
welcome

First, you need to be sure you have all required licenses and permits.
If you don't know what they are, you'll need to start reading and buying the licenses.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/licenses/hunting-licenses-and-permits
https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/annual_public_hunting/resources/905.pdf

As far as your questions:
1. That can vary greatly and will heavily depend on what you're hunting for. But in any public hunting area, the deeper you go in, the less chance you'll be running into another hunter.

2. Parking can be done on the side of the roads, but keep all valuables out of sight. There's also some hunting campgrounds.

3. Scout, Scout, Scout (even if the deer season is nearly over, or already over, scout it for next season). Use Onxmaps app mark locations. If you're hunting, use it to mark locations of something you've seen (rubs, scrapes, scat) that you didn't see prior.

God Bless Texas
texas

Arsenal:
Savage Axis II - 30-06
Stoeger P350 - 12 Gauge
Diamond Edge SB-1 - Compound Bow
Re: Sam Houston National Forest Parking and Info [Re: AdanV] #7380790 12/19/18 12:07 AM
D
DAVO Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
Originally Posted by AdanV
welcome

First, you need to be sure you have all required licenses and permits.
If you don't know what they are, you'll need to start reading and buying the licenses.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/licenses/hunting-licenses-and-permits
https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/annual_public_hunting/resources/905.pdf

As far as your questions:
1. That can vary greatly and will heavily depend on what you're hunting for. But in any public hunting area, the deeper you go in, the less chance you'll be running into another hunter.

2. Parking can be done on the side of the roads, but keep all valuables out of sight. There's also some hunting campgrounds.

3. Scout, Scout, Scout (even if the deer season is nearly over, or already over, scout it for next season). Use Onxmaps app mark locations. If you're hunting, use it to mark locations of something you've seen (rubs, scrapes, scat) that you didn't see prior.

Thanks for the information Adan. Luckily, I have my licenses and public hunting permits already. I will certainly take your advice for the Onxmaps app. I will be scouting out some areas on Saturday so I can try to get some deer action before the end of the season. After that I will still be playing around for some piggys.

Re: Sam Houston National Forest Parking and Info [Re: DAVO] #7383523 12/21/18 05:11 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
In my opinion there are more pigs over by 59 and deer by 45. That is just my humble opinion. Hunt creeks and low lying areas no matter where you go.

park just like you said

For deer:
before you hunt go find your spot and build a ground blind or set up a ground blind. Typically I just build mine from surrounding debris. Be in your hunting spot 30 minutes or more before legal shooting time. Sit till 10:30 before deciding it is done for the day. Repeat until you find a good area. After 10:30 i will go scout for another spot if needed.

For pigs:

I will walk a major creek till I find fresh [Linked Image]
activity then I sit and wait till pig 30 and blast whatever comes by.

I have killed several animals from this one blind. I counted 17 deer one morning. This spot is 1.75 miles from any road so it is way back in. Tough to get back there in the dark but well worth it. Most of the way is down a trail so it really isnt bad.

Last edited by Bigfoot; 12/21/18 05:18 PM.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Sam Houston National Forest Parking and Info [Re: DAVO] #7383834 12/21/18 10:53 PM
A
AdanV Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
Originally Posted by DAVO
[

Thanks for the information Adan. Luckily, I have my licenses and public hunting permits already. I will certainly take your advice for the Onxmaps app. I will be scouting out some areas on Saturday so I can try to get some deer action before the end of the season. After that I will still be playing around for some piggys.

One piece of equipment that I recommend in addition to Onymaps, is an external battery charger for your phone. The daily tracking feature on it can drain your phone in a few hours. Nothing expensive, just a good one that's fully charged will do. (You really don't want to be in the middle of the forest and not have an idea which direction to take when heading back to your truck)

And like Bigfoot said, animals are like humans.
We need food and water.

God Bless Texas
texas

Arsenal:
Savage Axis II - 30-06
Stoeger P350 - 12 Gauge
Diamond Edge SB-1 - Compound Bow
Re: Sam Houston National Forest Parking and Info [Re: DAVO] #7383899 12/22/18 12:13 AM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Take a compass and use it!

Re: Sam Houston National Forest Parking and Info [Re: Bigfoot] #7402397 01/12/19 04:20 AM
D
DAVO Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
Thanks for the info bud. I used a pop up blind and dressed it with brush like you suggested. Although I did a lot of walking and searching I found a pretty good spot. I ended up seeing a lot of doe, some bucks, ducks and countless pigs. I ended up tagging an 8 point and 6 pigs in the forest. I will be doing more pig hunting when the muzzleloader season ends so I don't disturb anyone during the end of their hunting season. I've heard horror stories about hunting in public land so I was pleasantly surprised and since I had my head set on seeing nothing.

Re: Sam Houston National Forest Parking and Info [Re: AdanV] #7402403 01/12/19 04:28 AM
B
billythefish Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Originally Posted by AdanV
(You really don't want to be in the middle of the forest and not have an idea which direction to take when heading back to your truck)

Do people not use compasses and maps anymore :s

Re: Sam Houston National Forest Parking and Info [Re: DAVO] #7404555 01/14/19 10:33 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Yeah. I take phone and use it as a compass and I also use the topo map that I read off my phone. And of course the Garmin is a GPS compass and map.

Having a map and actual compass is like writing letters. Nobody writes letters anymore. Emails text chat rooms etc

GO TRUMP!
Re: Sam Houston National Forest Parking and Info [Re: Bigfoot] #7404941 01/15/19 07:26 AM
B
billythefish Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
With respect I couldn't disagree more. Not writing a letter won't land me in a life or death situation...not having a compass may very well. Phones break or error all of the time in regular day-to-day life...let alone using them in austere environments.

A garmin GPS is a backup to the compass...not the other way around.

Re: Sam Houston National Forest Parking and Info [Re: DAVO] #7406600 01/16/19 10:52 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
A compass is not going to be a life or death situation in the SAM. Walk in any direction and you will hit civilization. Except in circles of course lol!

GO TRUMP!
Re: Sam Houston National Forest Parking and Info [Re: Bigfoot] #7406702 01/17/19 01:03 AM
B
billythefish Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Lost hikers rescued from Sam Houston National Forest August 2018

https://www.itemonline.com/news/loc...61002d2-84fc-53d0-a3df-a065410623fa.html

Last edited by billythefish; 01/17/19 01:03 AM.
Re: Sam Houston National Forest Parking and Info [Re: DAVO] #7406713 01/17/19 01:10 AM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Losing your way in the NF can mean spending the night in the woods. I hunted it back in the day before smart phones and always carried a GPS, a compass, and 2 flashlights plus back-up batteries.

Re: Sam Houston National Forest Parking and Info [Re: Bigfoot] #7407198 01/17/19 04:43 PM
H
HankTheTank Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Originally Posted by Bigfoot
A compass is not going to be a life or death situation in the SAM. Walk in any direction and you will hit civilization. Except in circles of course lol!

It could with other complicating factors. Suppose a person has a compass and knows their location reasonably well. Having an injury, but your phone is dead and no gps, and that compass could mean finding help a short distance away and avoiding miles of forest in other directions that you may not be able to traverse.

Re: Sam Houston National Forest Parking and Info [Re: DAVO] #7423695 02/03/19 10:20 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
How's the squirrel hunting in there, I am wanting to take my wifes nephew out there. He loves to hunt them and it looks like that can be a fun hunt. I have never hunted them so what the best area to after them?

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide