texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
INC91TX, Coby, Iamgoo78, Duckhuntermann, Raven7
65766 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 94,312
bill oxner 57,390
stxranchman 55,166
SnakeWrangler 47,040
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,436
BMD 41,029
Big Orn 37,484
Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums45
Topics437,668
Posts6,351,284
Members65,766
Most Online16,728
Mar 25th, 2012
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bump Stocks #7380646 12/18/18 09:43 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 9,587
D
Duck_Hunter Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 9,587
Have been banned by the Trump administration. Owners will have 90 days to turn them in once the law takes effect.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/18/politics/bump-stocks-ban/index.html



Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.


Re: Bump Stocks [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7380669 12/18/18 09:55 PM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,013
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,013
I don't have one nor do I care for them but legally that's unfortunate.

Gun Legislation sub-forum.


* Information Security Ninja
* NRA Endowment Life Member
Re: Bump Stocks [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7380740 12/18/18 10:49 PM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,551
N
Nathan at Fork Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,551
I don't understand how they can take something they specifically had ruled legal and then change their minds requiring owners to turn in for free what they had paid for. Luckily, I sold the couple that I had bought for a nice profit when the bump fire stock issue came up and people were worried about them being banned. I made good money on them. It wasn't worth the risk to hold onto them and possibly have to turn them in. Sucks for those that still own them though. Seems like Trump has screwed gun owners over. Could have at least made them have to be registered like machine guns and machine gun parts.


[Linked Image]
Re: Bump Stocks [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7380905 12/19/18 01:50 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,157
L
luv2brode Offline
Extreme Tracker
Offline
Extreme Tracker
L
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,157
I like trump but he dropped the ball on this


i am cancelling my subscription, i am tired of your issues!
Re: Bump Stocks [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7381003 12/19/18 03:08 AM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,552
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
P
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,552
Up next for the ban wagon

[Linked Image]

Re: Bump Stocks [Re: Nathan at Fork] #7381014 12/19/18 03:22 AM
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,144
K
krmitchell Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
K
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,144
Originally Posted by Nathan at Fork
I don't understand how they can take something they specifically had ruled legal and then change their minds requiring owners to turn in for free what they had paid for. Luckily, I sold the couple that I had bought for a nice profit when the bump fire stock issue came up and people were worried about them being banned. I made good money on them. It wasn't worth the risk to hold onto them and possibly have to turn them in. Sucks for those that still own them though. Seems like Trump has screwed gun owners over. Could have at least made them have to be registered like machine guns and machine gun parts.


Iím sure there will be lawsuits. What Iím unclear about is how this is any different than full autos that are grandfathered in. Either compensate people, or let them pay a stamp for it and grandfather it in.

Re: Bump Stocks [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7381039 12/19/18 03:41 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 29,714
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 29,714
Dang what are they going to take next? So law biting citizens turn them in, and outlaws keeps them. hammer

Re: Bump Stocks [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7381115 12/19/18 05:41 AM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 487
H
huntingbig8 Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
H
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 487
so, should I sell mine?

Re: Bump Stocks [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7381261 12/19/18 02:30 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 30,131
F
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
F
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 30,131
Find archives of their retail prices, come up with an average, and hand out cash money in compensation to those that turn them in. If that is not the program (and it is not) then this is government seizure of legally procured private property. And that is a tooth on the gear of tyranny.

I never have had one, or wanted one, but if I had spent $200 on it, I want my $200 back when I turn it in.


[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Bump Stocks [Re: FiremanJG] #7381510 12/19/18 05:28 PM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,551
N
Nathan at Fork Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,551
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Find archives of their retail prices, come up with an average, and hand out cash money in compensation to those that turn them in. If that is not the program (and it is not) then this is government seizure of legally procured private property. And that is a tooth on the gear of tyranny.

I never have had one, or wanted one, but if I had spent $200 on it, I want my $200 back when I turn it in.



Exactly.


[Linked Image]
Re: Bump Stocks [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7381568 12/19/18 06:42 PM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 704
B
bronco71 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
B
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 704
This could be bad for Trump in 2020......I would agree with banning them if the ones already out there were grandfathered or purchased.

Re: Bump Stocks [Re: bronco71] #7381576 12/19/18 06:48 PM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,551
N
Nathan at Fork Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,551
Originally Posted by bronco71
This could be bad for Trump in 2020......I would agree with banning them if the ones already out there were grandfathered or purchased.

\

Yes. I could accept that as well. I wouldn't like any new bans or gun laws, but at least that would be something I could deal with. I know from buying several of these in the past that they cost $150-$200 each. Lots of people own multiple bump stocks. That is a lot of money to make them turn in or destroy, especially when they had been specifically deemed legal by the ATF in the past. Buy them from people.


Man, this has me so upset, I can only imagine how I would feel if I still owned any of the ones I had bought and was going to be losing that money. But, I was afraid this would happen which is why I sold them when they shot way up in value when these talks started.


[Linked Image]
Re: Bump Stocks [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7381939 12/20/18 01:28 AM
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 14,734
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 14,734
This is very disappointing. Turn them in with no compensation for a legally purchased item?? While hillary and company still walks free and laughs in our face.

Re: Bump Stocks [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7382023 12/20/18 02:40 AM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,961
L
leswad Online Shocked
Pro Tracker
Online Shocked
Pro Tracker
L
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,961
bang I was looking forward to giving the government my personal property but unfortunately I had a horrible boating accident last year confused2


[Linked Image]
Re: Bump Stocks [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7382027 12/20/18 02:47 AM
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,555
G
Grizz Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,555
I have no use for bump stocks, but I think this was a big misstep by President Trump. As stated above, a ban would be much more palatable if the owners were compensated for a reasonable amount for property they purchased legally. When the government makes something like this contraband with the stroke of a pen, there should be a provision for the current owners to be grandfathered or they should be compensated. Otherwise it's a huge overreach of their authority and unconstitutional IMO. I'm very confident this will be challenged and it will be interesting to see how it plays out.


Re: Bump Stocks [Re: FiremanJG] #7382144 12/20/18 06:37 AM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 9,587
D
Duck_Hunter Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 9,587
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Find archives of their retail prices, come up with an average, and hand out cash money in compensation to those that turn them in. If that is not the program (and it is not) then this is government seizure of legally procured private property. And that is a tooth on the gear of tyranny.

I never have had one, or wanted one, but if I had spent $200 on it, I want my $200 back when I turn it in.


From a legal standpoint, bingo. Itís not even a 2A issue, in my opinion.


Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.


Re: Bump Stocks [Re: Grizz] #7382145 12/20/18 06:39 AM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 9,587
D
Duck_Hunter Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 9,587
Originally Posted by Grizz
I have no use for bump stocks, but I think this was a big misstep by President Trump. As stated above, a ban would be much more palatable if the owners were compensated for a reasonable amount for property they purchased legally. When the government makes something like this contraband with the stroke of a pen, there should be a provision for the current owners to be grandfathered or they should be compensated. Otherwise it's a huge overreach of their authority and unconstitutional IMO. I'm very confident this will be challenged and it will be interesting to see how it plays out.


Itís either going to be struck down or returned and needing to be amended, or itís going to be a sad day legally and will set a nasty precedent.


Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.


Re: Bump Stocks [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7382450 12/20/18 04:59 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 12,842
TurkeyHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 12,842


Aio, quantitas magna frumentorum est
Re: Bump Stocks [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7382480 12/20/18 05:35 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,040
U
unclebubba Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
U
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,040
What will probably be next is the arm brace for ar-15 pistols. I'd be willing to bet that there are many more of those floating around than there are bump stocks. In this case, the ATF declared something was legal, then years later have decided that they are not. Well, years ago, the ATF decided that arm braces for ar-15 pistols are legal, even if someone shoulders the arm brace and uses it as a stock, even though that is "not how it was designed to be used". If they can change their mind on bump stocks, they can change their mind on just about anything I guess.


Originally Posted by txhuntingguide
If I choose to hunt in a coon tail hat, a pink tootoo and hip waders that is my fine...
Re: Bump Stocks [Re: unclebubba] #7382494 12/20/18 05:53 PM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,653
T
TXGUNNER308 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,653
Originally Posted by unclebubba
What will probably be next is the arm brace for ar-15 pistols. I'd be willing to bet that there are many more of those floating around than there are bump stocks. In this case, the ATF declared something was legal, then years later have decided that they are not. Well, years ago, the ATF decided that arm braces for ar-15 pistols are legal, even if someone shoulders the arm brace and uses it as a stock, even though that is "not how it was designed to be used". If they can change their mind on bump stocks, they can change their mind on just about anything I guess.


Yep, and what do you think will happen when the liberals are back in office?


Initial Success or Total Failure

Re: Bump Stocks [Re: TXGUNNER308] #7382521 12/20/18 06:18 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,040
U
unclebubba Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
U
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,040
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
Originally Posted by unclebubba
What will probably be next is the arm brace for ar-15 pistols. I'd be willing to bet that there are many more of those floating around than there are bump stocks. In this case, the ATF declared something was legal, then years later have decided that they are not. Well, years ago, the ATF decided that arm braces for ar-15 pistols are legal, even if someone shoulders the arm brace and uses it as a stock, even though that is "not how it was designed to be used". If they can change their mind on bump stocks, they can change their mind on just about anything I guess.


Yep, and what do you think will happen when the liberals are back in office?


It scares me to think of that. What needs to happen is to have this challenged in court now to set a precedence that the ATF or the DOJ can not just arbitrarily decide what is legal and what is not.


Originally Posted by txhuntingguide
If I choose to hunt in a coon tail hat, a pink tootoo and hip waders that is my fine...
Re: Bump Stocks [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7383016 12/21/18 02:51 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,645
Greg Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,645
What gets me is.... Itís still one trigger pull = 1 round. The ATF defines ďautoĒ as one trigger pull = more than one round being fired.

Few years back I saw a picture of a letter signed by the head of the atf saying it was okay to use rubber bands on a semi-auto because the trigger still had to be manually depressed each time a round was fired. This bump stock devise accomplishes the exact same thing as the rubber band. It allows the recoil of the gun to help jostel back and forth on your finger.

This totally goes against how they used to see it.

I also donít like the presidence it sets that someone can just up and decide what you already have is too much and now outlawed. Those who already own them should be grandfathered in, have to register them, and then stop selling/producing any more. Whatís to stop someone from saying a telescoping stock on an AR is now too much and then demand those be turned over too? This could be a real slippery slope.

Makes me cringe every time I hear a news reporter say ... ďit makes it shoot like a machine gunĒ. No... no it doesnít. You still gotta pull the trigger each time

Re: Bump Stocks [Re: Greg] #7384036 12/22/18 02:49 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,645
Greg Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,645
Here is a copy of the letter I was referring to.

[Linked Image]

Re: Bump Stocks [Re: Greg] #7384054 12/22/18 03:10 AM
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,555
G
Grizz Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,555
Originally Posted by Greg
Here is a copy of the letter I was referring to.

[Linked Image]


That letter still applies for ATF as far as I know. That just applies to the definition of a machine gun. The bump stocks weren't outlawed because they are considered a machine gun, they were outlawed because the government decided they make the evil black guns more evil. The position of the ATF is still that they don't make a gun a machine gun. This is nothing more than an attempt to throw the left a bone. The problem is they don't want a bone, they want the entire skeleton.


Re: Bump Stocks [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7384079 12/22/18 03:44 AM
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,144
K
krmitchell Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
K
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,144
Interested to hear the governments argument for what exactly is illegal about a bump stock. Since it in itself isnít a firearm and just a component, what exactly is illegal about it......all the other nonsense aside about them saying it was ok then changing their minds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3