Print Thread
Hunting vehicles have come full circle #7332958 10/31/18 02:23 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
When UTV’s started becoming all the rage, it got me to thinking how hunting vehicles were approaching the point where it all started. Older folks like me can remember when hunters first recognized the benefits of having a much smaller and easy to maneuver ATV as a better option than full-size, 4WD vehicles. Move ahead several years and the UTV craze begins when Kawasaki began offering their Mule for those looking something with a greater payload capacity and with side-by-side seating. Other manufacturers quickly responded with their own UTV models with even greater payload capacity and features. Now it appears we’ve come full circle with Honda announcing their newest off road vehicle, which looks much like a full size UTV.

I think I’ll stick with my two old ATV’s each made back in the 90’s.

Link

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Hunting vehicles have come full circle [Re: Texas Dan] #7333168 10/31/18 04:55 PM
S
Sprman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Well, that particular model in the link has no plans on being sold according to the bottom of the article. Also, from what I can tell, it's not geared toward hunters, just like the RzR isn't really geared toward hunters. Could it still be useful, sure. Will/Do people use them for hunting, sure. Can only haul so much out to the woods to work on stuff, or fill feeders, or take a group of guys around during the off season. SxS's come in really handy. I still have my ATV and we use it all the time, but I also have my SxS and will also use it. They both have benefits and to each their own.

Re: Hunting vehicles have come full circle [Re: Texas Dan] #7333181 10/31/18 05:08 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Still using my own two feet. I guess atv's etc. are nice to get in tight spots but we drive a pickup everywhere we need to drive and walk the rest. The ATV's and UTV's are just too loud for me, I sit in a nice quiet blind and get ready to watch the sun come up and listen to them running on neighboring places miles away.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Hunting vehicles have come full circle [Re: Texas Dan] #7370893 12/08/18 08:50 PM
N
Nate C. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Full circle is right. It all started with the Jeep CJ. Eventually independent suspensions and 84-month financing enabled UTVs to leave Jeeps in the dust. Now Mahindra makes the Roxor UTV that is basically...a Jeep.

Re: Hunting vehicles have come full circle [Re: Texas Dan] #7370912 12/08/18 09:21 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
'Sat at one of our blinds this past Sunday evening. (The blind/feeder spot that's 'caused all the hullabaloo about letting a "breeder buck" walk, etc.) Feeder goes off at 4:30pm. At 4:45pm I hear one of those dam things put-putting my way. It was the landowner's wife, checking her bee box. bang (And this place ain't cheap.) I guess she figured folks only hunt on the weekend and have to head home Sunday afternoon...wrong.
Don't get me wrong, I could use one in certain situations (a UTV, not the LO's wife's box), and I'm thinking about it, but it's got to where I can't stand the sound of them (again, the UTV). I'd have to get some kinda hush kit put on. And an enclosed cab for my old bones and joints. 'Don't need 10 speakers for the "stereo" though, which seems to be the first feature they all tout.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Hunting vehicles have come full circle [Re: Texas Dan] #7377920 12/15/18 09:50 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Let's compare:
UTV: Open cab, no heat, no a/c. Allows dust, mud, rain in. Noisy. Not particularly smooth riding. $5000 to $25,000 depending on options.
Old Mazda extended cab pickup: Enclosed cabin. A/C & heat. Protected from elements for those long hot/cold/rainy/foggy rides to the deer stand. Parts aplenty for easy repairs. $3000 or less.

Yeah, I'll stick with an old Jap pickup truck or Jeep Cherokee or the likes.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Hunting vehicles have come full circle [Re: LandPirate] #7377933 12/15/18 10:16 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by LandPirate
Let's compare:
UTV: Open cab, no heat, no a/c. Allows dust, mud, rain in. Noisy. Not particularly smooth riding. $5000 to $25,000 depending on options.
Old Mazda extended cab pickup: Enclosed cabin. A/C & heat. Protected from elements for those long hot/cold/rainy/foggy rides to the deer stand. Parts aplenty for easy repairs. $3000 or less.

Yeah, I'll stick with an old Jap pickup truck or Jeep Cherokee or the likes.

I'm not a huge Utv fan but on ride smoothness they will stomp that old pickup in the ground

Re: Hunting vehicles have come full circle [Re: Dustnsand] #7378697 12/17/18 01:38 AM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Not the ones I've ridden in. Besides, I like not being covered in dust on a hot sweaty day. Those open cabbed UTV will cake it on you, especially if you're pulling a little trailer of any kind. Nope. Give me a little pickup of some sort.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Hunting vehicles have come full circle [Re: LandPirate] #7378830 12/17/18 04:02 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by LandPirate
Not the ones I've ridden in. Besides, I like not being covered in dust on a hot sweaty day. Those open cabbed UTV will cake it on you, especially if you're pulling a little trailer of any kind. Nope. Give me a little pickup of some sort.

You need to ride in more. The ride and off road capabilities are incredible in a Imdependant suspension UTV

On a south Texas place with good roads I like a truck or Jeep. But in the hill country the UTV’s shine. Where I hunt in west Texas, it would eat up a truck or Jeep in some of the spots we hunt.

I was never a big fan of 4-wheelers but UTV’s are great tools in a lot of areas.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Hunting vehicles have come full circle [Re: Texas Dan] #7378919 12/17/18 12:18 PM
Reloder28 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I recently purchased a Honda Pioneer 700. It's the midsize unit. It is no louder than my Honda Rancher I purchased in 2000. I believe it's plenty quiet.

Since the purchase of the Rancher I waited for Honda to manufacture the right unit with independent suspension, driveshaft transmission & power steering. I hate the rubberband driven models of nearly every other maker. The rpm range is way too high to maintain torque which equates to noise.

For those 18 years I would intermittently consider the pro's & con's of a cheap Jeep vs. an expensize SxS. The UTV's can go places a Jeep won't. The UTV can be much easier towed than a full size Jeep.

[b][/b]
Re: Hunting vehicles have come full circle [Re: Texas Dan] #7381121 12/19/18 06:50 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
To be fair my Jeep would go places a UTV would not as well. Depends on how you build them and the terrain

Re: Hunting vehicles have come full circle [Re: Texas Dan] #7381425 12/19/18 04:21 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Reading these comments makes me realize that where you hunt will have a huge bearing on what you think is ideal for atv/utv use. I grew up hunting in eastern Louisiana in the mud. Serious mud, not that pretend mud stuff you see in most of Texas. We used jeeps, Broncos, and Int’l Scouts to get around in the big woods. That changed when Honda 3-wheelers came available. Now we could go anywhere. It was great. And then, like Texas Dan said, things got bigger. Then 4 wheel ATVs came out. And they got bigger. Then it was UTVs, and they got bigger. Truth be told, I don’t think it matters much here in the world of thin mud. All those people movers will work.

But back in eastern Louisiana, the real mud still has to be dealt with. My wealthy cousin has gone through many vehicles in the search for the ideal vehicle. Last time I spoke with him, he was using a Japanese Mini-truck, gen 3. This latest version had 4wd (a must have) and was jacked up (must have to not high Center). He can go most places a well set up ATV can go, but much noisier and making deep ruts. Most folks have forgotten that one of the big advantages of 3wheelers and 4 wheelers is that they didn’t make the deep ruts. And the early small Honda 3 wheelers would float, so you could walk them through deep water.

Back when I was hunting with him, I hated his Kawasaki 4 wheeler. Belt drive and really loud. Too loud. And get it wet and the drive belt would slip. And Deer really do associate the sound with humans. I’d be up a tree way before dawn and the other hunters, and have deer out in front of me. Here would come a cousin on an ATV, a mile away and you could hear the engine noise. The deer would perk up their ears and disappear into the woods. That’s what makes an electric UTV such a good idea, except that they are worthless in deep clinging mud. I didn’t have to buy one to learn that. The cousin did.

Over the years I found that what worked best was a strong 4 wheeler with a manual transmission. I could cruise the woods in 3rd gear with minimum engine noise. Sold it last year and got a Honda Rancher, and I can’t cruise as quietly.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Hunting vehicles have come full circle [Re: Texas Dan] #7382174 12/20/18 11:23 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'll just stick with my trucks.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Hunting vehicles have come full circle [Re: Texas Dan] #7382236 12/20/18 01:28 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Came down to my uncles and took the mule to the blind this morning, a 2008 model 3010.

Thing is like driving a model T now

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Hunting vehicles have come full circle [Re: txtrophy85] #7382239 12/20/18 01:32 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Came down to my uncles and took the mule to the blind this morning, a 2008 model 3010.

Thing is like driving a model T now

Actually, you'd be quite surprised the places a real Model T could go. grin One of the greatest products this country has ever produced, despite Henry being a true SOB.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide