Forums46
Topics537,034
Posts9,719,666
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? #7376072 12/13/18 09:14 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I'll start. In my 60 years of hunting, I can only prove one time. There were 308 shells in my deer stand between opening weekend and the next one, and no one on the lease used a 308. This was in San Saba county. Now this season in Cass county, I heard my neighbor shoot 5 times between 7:15 & 7:30 on opening day. I called him the next day to see what he had got and he said that he was not able to make it opening morning, but that evening he was driving toward his stand and someone jumped down and ran into the woods. He never could find that guy.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7376117 12/13/18 09:37 PM
T
Texican Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I saw one leaving our lease in ETX one year. I was driving on the main road in front of our lease, and saw him jump the gate to his little truck on the backside of our property. By the time I turned it around he was gone. Honestly no telling how many times he hunted our place and we never knew.

Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7376119 12/13/18 09:39 PM
B
bronco71 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Too many to count, from years ago when we first bought the property. It was locally known before we bought it that anyone could hunt it without any trouble. After we bought it and locked the gate and put up signs there were still many that insisted on trespassing and poaching. Several were chased with the truck or the tractor and once I threatened to remove a truck parked inside our gate with the D7 cat. They believed me and came running out of the woods when I had the blade over the hood and was ready to drop it. I had the license # and told them to stay away and spread the word it was private property and was being enforced. Few signs of trespassing after that except for a stolen tripod stand that I did not realize could be seen from the road after the leaves fell. Many road hunters were called in to the GW also. Road was dirt/mud at the time and in wet weather it was hunted heavily at night. After several arrests and the paving of the road poaching pretty much stopped.

Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7376129 12/13/18 09:50 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
My place is in Anderson county, we definitely have.

Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7376207 12/13/18 10:37 PM
jim1961 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Too common! I pray for the day I catch one

Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7376233 12/13/18 10:55 PM
S
Sparta Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I have a buddy that owns a ranch in east Texas near Texarcana. They ran off a couple of guys one weekend. The next week they got a call from the fire department letting them know their log cabin (very nice) was on fire. It ended up burning to the ground. The safe was missing, a couple of four wheelers, and a few other items. They ended up catching one of the guys trying to sell some of the items (can't remember if it was one of the four wheelers or the guns).

They were pretty certain it was one of the guys they chased off the week before.

Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Sparta] #7376304 12/13/18 11:56 PM
T
TexasUplander Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Sparta
I have a buddy that owns a ranch in east Texas near Texarcana. They ran off a couple of guys one weekend. The next week they got a call from the fire department letting them know their log cabin (very nice) was on fire. It ended up burning to the ground. The safe was missing, a couple of four wheelers, and a few other items. They ended up catching one of the guys trying to sell some of the items (can't remember if it was one of the four wheelers or the guns).

They were pretty certain it was one of the guys they chased off the week before.

If we brought back public hangings, this kind of $hit would stop! Fact of the matter is, EVERY piece of land is or will be poached on at some point in time. I would love to catch some. Been REALLY wanting a backhoe anyway.

Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: TexasUplander] #7376363 12/14/18 01:02 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Chuckw

If we brought back public hangings, this kind of $hit would stop! Fact of the matter is, EVERY piece of land is or will be poached on at some point in time. I would love to catch some. Been REALLY wanting a backhoe anyway.

Crime still existed when hangings were public.

To be determined
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7376414 12/14/18 01:35 AM
V
Vern1 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
V
They are getting brave around here.
A buddy has had more than a few pictures of one particularly brazen bastages junk.
He seems to get off taunting people.

Last edited by Vern1; 12/14/18 01:36 AM.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7376569 12/14/18 04:19 AM
T
TexasVine Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
We have property in East Texas, it is common there.

TexasVine
[Linked Image]
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7376586 12/14/18 04:39 AM
H
huntingbig8 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
Everyone has, you just may not know. Damn thieves.

Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7376657 12/14/18 12:45 PM
D
D Rogers Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I've had trespassers, but so far, no sign of poaching

~Dustin

"Life's complicated, man, like a dang ol' Rubik's cube, man. Talkin' 'bout blue and red, man. Dang ol' get one side, dang ol' messed up th' other side, man."

-Boomhauer
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7376686 12/14/18 01:35 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
We had a neighbor that was a shoot em up type of place. Smaller place that bordered is on two sides and highway on the other two.

We found where they had been corning our side of the fence. They would tie milk jugs to the fence, cut the top and fill it with corn, then throw it over and drag it back to spread the corn.

One of our hunters sits on a ridge that can see their fence line. He heard a shot and watched a buck run by below him, it appeared unwounded. About 3-5 min later, two guys jumped the fence with their guns and started heading his way. They were about 400 yards out and pushed a bobcat toward him and he shot the bobcat...they ran back to their side of the fence. (If he hadn’t brought back the bobcat, I wouldn’t have believed him rofl)

I was walking a creek in one of our thicker pastures and heard a deer fight in a thicket. Didn’t take long to hear that something was off. I circled around and came up to see a guy sitting under a tree rattling. I dropped back in the creek and headed to the highway but never found a truck. Called the GW and gave a description...he knew who it was and it was the same camp I mentioned issues with earlier. He went over to talk to them and ended up with a pretty solid case against them. I didn’t remember all the details but they had 3 or 4 deer without tags, 2 were hunting without a license and some other issues. Thankfully that group is gone

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7376758 12/14/18 02:24 PM
G
gary roberson Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
It depends on how good your land is across South and West Texas. If you hunt in East Texas, yes you have.
Adios,
Gary

Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7376815 12/14/18 03:27 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
I took over managing a property about 8 years ago....wasn't uncommon to come across a deer with just the backstraps removed once to twice a year. Was pretty sure which neighbor was the culprit. We got aggressive with No Trespassing signs, and putting game trail cameras over some areas on the fence lines that looked like spots people had crossed. I may have made a few signs next to the spot saying..."Praying will get you closer to God. Trespassing will get you a face to face meeting." Soon after, all evidence of trespassing and poaching came to an immediate halt. Been fine since. up

Last edited by George - w/ Map My Ranch; 12/14/18 03:27 PM.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7376825 12/14/18 03:36 PM
B
Bobcat4119 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Delta County is bad. I have them multiple times a year.

Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7376833 12/14/18 03:43 PM
T
TxAg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Yes in Llano Co, both road hunting the Co road that ran through the place, and people hunting our stands during the week. We would have cams missing 1/2 day of pics, find random corn piles, etc. I guess they got ticked that we were pursuing them, showed up one weekend to find two feeders knocked over and intentionally torn apart.

Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7376848 12/14/18 03:59 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Yes, and it was a member of my Brothers extended family. He got his hand slapped. Seems this guy can do anything he wants on our land with ZERO repercussions. No rules at all for him. I'll probably get a tongue lashing for saying this. Would you guys be OK with him to continue hunting if he openly broke the law?

Last edited by Erathkid; 12/14/18 04:02 PM.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Erathkid] #7376875 12/14/18 04:16 PM
B
BigBrother Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
I know a guy who's friend shot a buck that wasn't legal for that county, so the guy put his deer tag on the animal and said it came from another county. Is that legal?

Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7376893 12/14/18 04:23 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Both of the above would never be invited back to hunt on the place again.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: BigBrother] #7376960 12/14/18 05:30 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Erathkid
Yes, and it was a member of my Brothers extended family. He got his hand slapped. Seems this guy can do anything he wants on our land with ZERO repercussions. No rules at all for him. I'll probably get a tongue lashing for saying this. Would you guys be OK with him to continue hunting if he openly broke the law?

No. The first reason is based on ethical considerations. Why be a part of his illegal activities even if you don't actually engage in them. Second, why risk being caught up in his illegal activities and suffering as a result with legal hassles?

Originally Posted by BigBrother
I know a guy who's friend shot a buck that wasn't legal for that county, so the guy put his deer tag on the animal and said it came from another county. Is that legal?

You are kidding, right? Of course that isn't legal. That is bold-faced poaching by the first party. The second party broke multiple laws, tagging a deer he didn't shoot, falsifying a government document, both in the illegal tagging and for stating it came from somewhere else.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 12/14/18 05:40 PM.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7377032 12/14/18 06:47 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
. . . . had a poacher on your land ?

yes. everywhere i've ever hunted in Texas, south and east and west.
some of it was obvious, some not so obvious, but it's everywhere.
you can't prevent it except by staying on site full time. the neighbors
that do it watch your coming and going and just wait until you leave.
the neighbors that don't do it can't watch your place and theirs all
the time, and they for sure can't see the far side of your place unless
it's all flat and empty.
as long as there's people, and lawbreakers don't receive adequate punishment
we'll have to contend with poachers and trespassers. that's just a sad fact.

Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Erathkid] #7377066 12/14/18 07:24 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Erathkid

Hell no I'd turn him in....

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: BigBrother] #7377081 12/14/18 07:38 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S

Big Brother welcome to the Madness laugh I see this is your first post. Not trying to be a wise azz but with your question I was curious if you been hunting very long?
98% of the people on here are great, 1% good and the last 1% well hammer so do not take anyone to seriously up

texas flag

Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Stub] #7377105 12/14/18 08:03 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Stub

Big Brother welcome to the Madness laugh I see this is your first post. Not trying to be a wise azz but with your question I was curious if you been hunting very long?
98% of the people on here are great, 1% good and the last 1% well hammer so do not take anyone to seriously up

This is like a Colt .45 post. lizard

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide