Page 1 of 2 1 2
Gun Safe question #7370742 12/08/18 05:46 PM
W
WatersFowler Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
W
I am considering purchasing a gun safe and loading it in my truck and having some buddies and a piano dolly help me get it to the garage. The thought hit me that 700 lbs might cause damage to my 2017 Silverado tailgate. Anybody crossed this bridge and have any information they could share? I googled this and found that nobody really new and that Chevy doesn't rate the tailgate for liablility reasons. Thanks in advance.

Go ------------> elmer
Re: Gun Safe question [Re: WatersFowler] #7370766 12/08/18 06:04 PM
nak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
YMMV, but this worked for me a few years ago:
Remove the door, and transport it separately. (See if manufacture says it is OK to lay the door down, mine was not.) The door is almost half the weight of my safe. We moved it upright, with the same dolly we moved the safe.

Remove the tailgate and load it directly into the bed. You want a sheet of plywood against the back of the safe, as you tilt it into the bed.

**** If you have tile or wood floors, do not dolly it directly on the floor, even if it is a pneumatic tire dolly. Use 1/4 ie 3/8" ply wood on the floor. This will help prevent cracking your floor.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: Gun Safe question [Re: WatersFowler] #7370853 12/08/18 07:54 PM
Gringocazador Offline
Tracker
Tracker
If three fat guys can set on the tail gate, I’d say you could load it with no problem. Might want to use a piece of 3/8 plywood and old piece of carpet slide in on its back. I’ve hauled them that way before.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Gun Safe question [Re: WatersFowler] #7370888 12/08/18 08:45 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Take the tailgate off and get some big friends to help..

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Gun Safe question [Re: WatersFowler] #7370891 12/08/18 08:47 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Low boy or flat bed trailer is how I move mine.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Gun Safe question [Re: WatersFowler] #7370926 12/08/18 09:35 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Remove the tailgate, lay a sheet of plywood with some outdoor carpet on top of the plywood.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Gun Safe question [Re: WatersFowler] #7370992 12/08/18 10:49 PM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
A good quality gun safe for 18-24 long guns will probably be between 700-1000#, and will be a full load for your pickup. Do not risk putting it on your tailgate! Getting one of your friends hurt and incurring some medical bills to boot is not worth it to me.

The store you are getting it from probably delivers, and has the right equipment. Pay a moving company about $40 for an hour of work to pick it up, and deliver in place of your choosing. Done professionally AND insured.

Re: Gun Safe question [Re: WatersFowler] #7371121 12/09/18 01:27 AM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
They are a PITA. I had mine delivered, best $125.00 of the cost. One guy showed up with the safe on a trailer (1670 lbs) , a pallet jack, some plywood, PVC Pipe some 2x4's, and golfballs. He had it in place thru two doors in under 10 minutes.

A friend of mine bought one of those Cannon safes at TSC and laid it flat in his wifes Expedition with the seats folded flat. It didn't hurt the car, so I bet if you don'd set the whole thing on the tailgate it will be fine.

Re: Gun Safe question [Re: nak] #7371145 12/09/18 01:49 AM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by nak
Remove the door, and transport it separately. (See if manufacture says it is OK to lay the door down, mine was not.) The door is almost half the weight of my safe. We moved it upright, with the same dolly we moved the safe.

Remove the tailgate and load it directly into the bed. You want a sheet of plywood against the back of the safe, as you tilt it into the bed.

**** If you have tile or wood floors, do not dolly it directly on the floor, even if it is a pneumatic tire dolly. Use 1/4 ie 3/8" ply wood on the floor. This will help prevent cracking your floor.

What in the hell does YMMV mean?

Are you off your meds?

I'm not a grammer police, but dam. How about, "OP, this worked for me a few years ago."

But seriously, what the hell does YMMV mean?

[Linked Image]
Re: Gun Safe question [Re: Hopedale] #7371301 12/09/18 06:36 AM
N
Nate C. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Hopedale

Are you off your meds?

I'm not a grammer police, but dam. How about, "OP, this worked for me a few years ago."

A man that has banged out over six thousand posts on this forum in the past eleven plus years surely knows how to "Google that sh*t" without implying a fella is missing needed medication.

Last edited by Nate C.; 12/09/18 06:39 AM.
Re: Gun Safe question [Re: WatersFowler] #7371457 12/09/18 03:33 PM
R
Red Pill Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
It means your mileage may vary. No need to be rude.

Re: Gun Safe question [Re: WatersFowler] #7371631 12/09/18 08:44 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
And now, back to OP's OP. (or do I need to translate those for you?)

The plywood/carpet is the way to get it in the truck and even out of the truck and onto the dolly.

LoneStar alluded to it - if you're moving across tile/linoleum, use the wooden dowels or PVC pipe cut as wide as the safe is deep. It spreads the weight out and lowers the risk of damaging the flooring.

If you have a corner to navigate, a half-dozen to a dozen cheap golf balls will allow the safe to turn fairly easily. Do NOT use the golf balls on a wood/tile floor! They can mark it up. The golf balls work best on the carpet.

Absolute best way - pay someone that knows how to move the things to do the moving for you. Money well spent.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: Gun Safe question [Re: WatersFowler] #7371638 12/09/18 08:52 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I would pay a professional to deliver. $150-$200 is pretty close to the going rate. If you and or your buddies damage the safe, truck or get hurt it will probably cost you much more. Money well spent.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Gun Safe question [Re: Hopedale] #7371639 12/09/18 08:56 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by nak

Are you off your meds?

Google

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Gun Safe question [Re: WatersFowler] #7371646 12/09/18 09:04 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
by all means remove tail gate

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Gun Safe question [Re: Bbear] #7371706 12/09/18 10:13 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Bbear
And now, back to OP's OP. (or do I need to translate those for you?)

The plywood/carpet is the way to get it in the truck and even out of the truck and onto the dolly.

LoneStar alluded to it - if you're moving across tile/linoleum, use the wooden dowels or PVC pipe cut as wide as the safe is deep. It spreads the weight out and lowers the risk of damaging the flooring.

If you have a corner to navigate, a half-dozen to a dozen cheap golf balls will allow the safe to turn fairly easily. Do NOT use the golf balls on a wood/tile floor! They can mark it up. The golf balls work best on the carpet.

Absolute best way - pay someone that knows how to move the things to do the moving for you. Money well spent.

up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Gun Safe question [Re: Hopedale] #7371997 12/10/18 05:04 AM
S
SR025 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Are you off your meds?

Grammar *

Re: Gun Safe question [Re: Hopedale] #7372014 12/10/18 06:38 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Originally Posted by nak

Are you off your meds?

I did not know either. I Googled it and it still did not make sense to me. I'm to old for some of the lingo now days. There was a time when people spoke a common language. Just my 2cents Also all the people that said to google could have gave the meaning instead of saying google it. Either they did not know or were lazy.

Last edited by pigplinker; 12/10/18 06:40 AM.
Re: Gun Safe question [Re: Hopedale] #7372160 12/10/18 02:55 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by nak

Are you off your meds?

You just went right off the tracks here. WTH is wrong with you? Are YOU off your meds? And I ain’t telling you..

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Gun Safe question [Re: stxranchman] #7372208 12/10/18 03:30 PM
D
D Rogers Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Low boy or flat bed trailer is how I move mine.

~Dustin

"Life's complicated, man, like a dang ol' Rubik's cube, man. Talkin' 'bout blue and red, man. Dang ol' get one side, dang ol' messed up th' other side, man."

-Boomhauer
Re: Gun Safe question [Re: WatersFowler] #7372273 12/10/18 04:05 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Bought my son a 24 gun safe for Christmas that weighted 600 lbs. TSC delivered it and set it up for $100. A no brainer...

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Gun Safe question [Re: pigplinker] #7372734 12/10/18 11:28 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by pigplinker
Originally Posted by nak

Are you off your meds?

I did not know either. I Googled it and it still did not make sense to me. I'm to old for some of the lingo now days. There was a time when people spoke a common language. Just my 2cents Also all the people that said to google could have gave the meaning instead of saying google it. Either they did not know or were lazy.

Your mileage may vary, meaning, you may experience different results.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Gun Safe question [Re: WatersFowler] #7372986 12/11/18 03:13 AM
J
JCO Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Two young guys had mine set up in less than 20 minutes from arrival. Right equipment. Right experience. No injuries. No damage. As others have said, it was money I was glad I spent.

NRA Life Member (Master of Poor Decisions)
Re: Gun Safe question [Re: WatersFowler] #7374001 12/12/18 01:10 AM
W
WatersFowler Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
W
ok...with all this bickering back and forth I have just decided not to buy the dang safe anyway. Thanks for ruining this for me. I think I am going to go eat a tub of icecream and watch Gunsmoke reruns. eek2

Go ------------> elmer
Re: Gun Safe question [Re: WatersFowler] #7374264 12/12/18 05:21 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by WatersFowler
ok...with all this bickering back and forth I have just decided not to buy the dang safe anyway. Thanks for ruining this for me. I think I am going to go eat a tub of icecream and watch Gunsmoke reruns. eek2

2017 truck. You can afford $100 to move a safe once.... Was the Blue Bell on sale? I only buy it 2 for $6. grin My bro wouldn't spend $500 on movers. Busted his back window for $700 and $300 in Dr bill's for back. Great idea! hammer

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide