texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Ianaustin7, Drakes&Drahts, Eric Garcia, tpkemp, hunting10807
65617 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 93,919
bill oxner 56,571
stxranchman 55,086
SnakeWrangler 46,508
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,436
BMD 41,029
Big Orn 37,484
Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums45
Topics435,803
Posts6,324,744
Members65,617
Most Online16,728
Mar 25th, 2012
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: This really ought to be criminal [Re: Roll-Tide] #7367781 12/05/18 06:11 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,007
T
Texas buckeye Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,007
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
Why is everyone concerned with Alabama’s schedule?

There are much easier schedules out there.

SOS matters, ask UCF.

Yadayadayada. It’s unfair.

Bottom line, it’s the system we are playing in right now.
The name of the game is win.

Just win what’s in front of you. Quit looking behind you.

Well they almost won??? That’s some fair logic.


The problem with strength of schedule comparisons is where does the data come from? If it comes from human polls then the data is flawed. If it comes from simply data points (win-loss and who you played win-loss) then it can be useful.

Case in point, I watched a sports analyst discuss how the ACC (minus Clemson) was ranked on average 16 spots higher in the initial CFP rankings than both the sagarin computer poll and the FPI rankings would suggest. that was for teams like duke, boston college, Syracuse, and one other...but 16 spots (on average per team ) higher is not a statistical anomaly, its bias (attributed to influence frank beamer had on the committee or even one or two other memebers). The typical statistical variation should be 3-4 spots. To a letter, every BIG school was ranked 3 spots below where their computer rankings should have been, whereas every other conference was ranked around 3 spots ahead. So this shows there is a significant human factor in the CFP rankings. If your strength of schedule rankings are simply based ont he end of the year CFP rankings, then its flawed data. If it was a conglomerate of several computer polls then it may not be as garbage.

Just posting data with no sourcing means nothing

Re: This really ought to be criminal [Re: Roll-Tide] #7367794 12/05/18 06:23 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 9,415
D
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 9,415
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
Why is everyone concerned with Alabamaís schedule?

There are much easier schedules out there.

SOS matters, ask UCF.

Yadayadayada. Itís unfair.

Bottom line, itís the system we are playing in right now.
The name of the game is win.

Just win whatís in front of you. Quit looking behind you.

Well they almost won??? Thatís some fair logic.


The name of the game is win? It should be, butís decidedly not that. Thatís why we have this discussion every week. Thatís why you mentioned SOS two sentences above that statement.

No other sport ignores ďjust winning.Ē Itís dumb.


Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.


Re: This really ought to be criminal [Re: Texas buckeye] #7367852 12/05/18 07:09 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,007
T
Texas buckeye Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,007
The eye test is alive and well in cfp. Just look at Georgiaís schedule and who they beat...Florida, auburn, Kentucky.
Lost to LSU and bama. Played no OOC game that was significant unless you consider middle teenessee a significant opponent.
Yet they are number 5 and were considered a top tier program all season because why? They beat Florida?

So letís look at why Florida was ranked where they were...who did they play OOC? Colorado st.
Wins over LSU and South Carolina, losses to Georgia, Kentucky, mizzou.

Letís look at the one win that made Florida look good, LSU. Who have they played?
Beat Miami OOC (canít control how bad they sucked this year), Georgia, and.....
Losses to Florida, bama, and aTm.

So it gets back to is the sec that good because they play tough competition and win, or because they play each other and say they are all good because they pass a look test?

After lookin at this stuff, I really had no idea the rest of the sec aside from Alabama and LSU scheduled softies outside of conference play. And I had no idea Georgia played no one outside the sec worth mentioning. Eye test is alive and well in the CFP Committee.

Re: This really ought to be criminal [Re: Texas buckeye] #7367870 12/05/18 07:23 PM
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 445
E
Esh and Hattie Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
E
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 445
The simple fact is, Alabama didn't need a bye week before Arkansas. Just make sure Ohio State gets a bye next time Purdue is on the schedule.

So if you didn't have a bye week before Michigan, and won that game, does your argument even matter? I mean OSU won the "toughest" game on their schedule this year without a bye, just like good teams do every year.

You must listen to the ticket, tune in in an hour for latest Joel Klatt episode, they are fantastic. But to make an argument like this when there are so many other glaring issues at play is like a person trying to lose weight and blaming it on doing sit ups the wrong way. How about we focus on the other 99.9% of stuff that actually matters, like beating Purdue, and Iowa, and whoever else.

Re: This really ought to be criminal [Re: Texas buckeye] #7367888 12/05/18 07:56 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,007
T
Texas buckeye Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,007
Esh, I am not making excuses for anything related to Ohio State. We laid an egg against purdue, just like we did against Iowa last year, and it cost OSU both years. Without those losses, (obviously this year we'd be undefeated) we would be in the playoff. That's not getting into the games themselves, just saying the losses cost OSu the playoff both years. And yes, we would have been in last year over Bama had we not lost to Iowa.

What I am trying to point out is the disparity in the SOS argument (since Roll brought it up) and the reality that there is no merit to the strength of schedule if your strength of schedule is based solely on playing each other. This thread started off trying to show the glaringly obvious job one conference does for its teams while another is helping as much as possible. It has since been derailed, as it typical, but just trying to follow along and contribute.

I do not listen to the ticket, nor to joel klatt, save for a 9 minute twitter video I saw last night where he described the 16 spot discrepancy with the ACC teams in this years CFP rankings. Aside from that, I just look at data, make my own judgments, and try to watch some football.

One final note, I am not suggesting OSU needed a bye week before Purdue, and I sure hope you are not trying to compare a 2-10 SEC team to a 6-6 BIG team, but I would not mind seeing PSU and UM split up a little next year as well as having Wisconsin and NW off our schedule in favor of Minnesota and Illinois. That seems more like a SEC schedule now that we are talking about it.

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 12/05/18 08:03 PM.
Re: This really ought to be criminal [Re: Texas buckeye] #7367920 12/05/18 08:51 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 337
K
ksjmf Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
K
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 337
What I am trying to point out is the disparity in the SOS argument (since Roll brought it up) and the reality that there is no merit to the strength of schedule if your strength of schedule is based solely on playing each other. This thread started off trying to show the glaringly obvious job one conference does for its teams while another is helping as much as possible. It has since been derailed, as it typical, but just trying to follow along and contribute.

I thought the point of your post was to point out that the SEC helps it's "premiere" program by selectively scheduling their bye weeks. These schedules are set well in advance and the original comparison was for the 2019 schedules. How many years ago were these set? I guess I wanted to argue because I thought your main premise was that the BIG 10 conference is a stronger conference than the SEC. Since that is not your premise, you must agree that the SEC conference is a stronger conference and you really just think they should not have a bye week before LSU and should have their other bye week after the 2nd or 3rd game of the season.

I apologize for arguing over this topic. I hope Ohio State does great in their bowl game and next year's regular season!

Re: This really ought to be criminal [Re: Texas buckeye] #7367928 12/05/18 09:00 PM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,475
B
bassfishinglawyer Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,475
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Geez, you guys have a hard time with reading comprehension...this thread was about how one conference helps itís premiere member while the other does not. Itís simple, not meant to generate any sympathy, and certainly didnít expect any.
I wasnít complaining about anything related to this year, or even the soft schedule Alabama has next year as I stated there is an ebb and flow with that kind of OOC scheduling in power 5 conferences.

Somehow you all take this to say I am whining about OSU not making it into the play-off this year??

I guess I shouldnít expect any more from sec fans cheers


They must have watched Notre Dame this year and saw you don't have to play a difficult schedule - or even play well - to make it to the CFP. Looks like some smart people to me.

Good points, but maybe the BI4 shouldn't make their schedules 5-6 years in advance??

Re: This really ought to be criminal [Re: Texas buckeye] #7367931 12/05/18 09:03 PM
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 445
E
Esh and Hattie Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
E
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 445
I understand your argument Buckeye, and while factually Alabama had either a bye or a cupcake before their hard games this year, I don't see the point in getting mad at the SEC for it. As mentioned above, these schedules are set well in advance, so even if we still assume that SEC is doing something in the benefit of Alabama, why get mad at that? It would be good business. If anything, get mad at the B1G for not getting on board. Alabama dominance helps perpetuate the SEC circular logic, which helps the conference. You can't get mad at another business for just doing business better than you.

The reason the results and Purdue and blah blah get brought into it is the results are what matter. The inference that the SEC is helping along the results to benefit to Alabama are a complete moot point if Ohio State just beats a 6-6 team and then they'd have their shot at Alabama. The argument could maybe hold 1% of weight if the only loss Ohio State had was Michigan, who they didn't get a bye week before. So I think.

a. The schedules are set too far in advance to manipulate
b. Even if they WERE manipulated, good on the SEC for helping their own teams in the business they run
c. Just beat the lowly people of the world in your own conference and none of this matters, because both teams would be in the playoff every year.

I'm not really 'arguing' either, it just seems pretty cut and dry to me, when all of the results are controllable, and controllable in a fashion that is irrelevant to the argument (i.e. you shouldn't need a bye before Purdue)

Re: This really ought to be criminal [Re: ksjmf] #7367947 12/05/18 09:29 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,007
T
Texas buckeye Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,007
Originally Posted by ksjmf
What I am trying to point out is the disparity in the SOS argument (since Roll brought it up) and the reality that there is no merit to the strength of schedule if your strength of schedule is based solely on playing each other. This thread started off trying to show the glaringly obvious job one conference does for its teams while another is helping as much as possible. It has since been derailed, as it typical, but just trying to follow along and contribute.

I thought the point of your post was to point out that the SEC helps it's "premiere" program by selectively scheduling their bye weeks. These schedules are set well in advance and the original comparison was for the 2019 schedules. How many years ago were these set? I guess I wanted to argue because I thought your main premise was that the BIG 10 conference is a stronger conference than the SEC. Since that is not your premise, you must agree that the SEC conference is a stronger conference and you really just think they should not have a bye week before LSU and should have their other bye week after the 2nd or 3rd game of the season.

I apologize for arguing over this topic. I hope Ohio State does great in their bowl game and next year's regular season!


Huh, I started off by stating the SEC is helping Alabama by scheduling bye weeks in front of each of their toughest games and by NOT scheduling Florida or Georgia in their cross over games, as opposed to BIG scheduling Wisconsin (who every year is a favorite to win the west div, but not this year) and NW who just won the west div with a young team and should be as good next year and then scheduling OSu with end of November back to back games against PSU and UM. Assuming we get through those two unscathed, next week after is the BIG conference championship, which could be against a team that has a least one loss to OSU already. So that doesn't set anyone up for a playoff spot. Big hurting its teams while SEC does everything it can to help.

These schedules were set this year. OOC opponents are set years in advance, but cross over divisional play is not, and order of appearance is not, those are set the year or two in advance. As are bye week appearances.

Re: This really ought to be criminal [Re: Texas buckeye] #7367975 12/05/18 10:06 PM
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 445
E
Esh and Hattie Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
E
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 445
So you want the B1G to figure out who the worst teams in the other division are and schedule Ohio State against them every year?

We know through 2025 who Alabama will be playing. The SEC West, Tenessee, and this.

ALABAMA - 2014 vs. Florida; 2015 at Georgia; 2016 vs. Kentucky; 2017 at Vanderbilt; 2018 vs. Missouri; 2019 at South Carolina; 2020 vs. Georgia; 2021 at Florida; 2022 vs. Vanderbilt; 2023 at Kentucky; 2024 vs. South Carolina; 2025 at Missouri.

FLORIDA - 2014 at Alabama; 2015 vs. Ole Miss; 2016 at Arkansas; 2017 vs. Texas A&M; 2018 at Mississippi State; 2019 vs. Auburn; 2020 at Ole Miss; 2021 vs. Alabama; 2022 at Texas A&M; 2023 vs. Arkansas; 2024 at Auburn; 2025 vs. Mississippi State.

GEORGIA - 2014 at Arkansas; 2015 vs. Alabama; 2016 at Ole Miss; 2017 vs. Mississippi State; 2018 at LSU; 2019 vs. Texas A&M; 2020 at Alabama; 2021 vs. Arkansas; 2022 at Mississippi State; 2023 vs. Ole Miss; 2024 at Texas A&M; 2025 vs. LSU.

LSU - 2014 vs. Kentucky; 2015 at South Carolina; 2016 vs. Missouri; 2017 at Tennessee; 2018 vs. Georgia; 2019 at Vanderbilt; 2020 vs. South Carolina; 2021 at Kentucky; 2022 vs. Tennessee; 2023 at Missouri; 2024 vs. Vanderbilt; 2025 at Georgia.

It's about as clear as it gets

Last edited by Esh and Hattie; 12/05/18 10:08 PM. Reason: Added other schools
Re: This really ought to be criminal [Re: Esh and Hattie] #7367979 12/05/18 10:11 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,007
T
Texas buckeye Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,007
Originally Posted by Esh and Hattie
I understand your argument Buckeye, and while factually Alabama had either a bye or a cupcake before their hard games this year, I don't see the point in getting mad at the SEC for it. As mentioned above, these schedules are set well in advance, so even if we still assume that SEC is doing something in the benefit of Alabama, why get mad at that? It would be good business. If anything, get mad at the B1G for not getting on board. Alabama dominance helps perpetuate the SEC circular logic, which helps the conference. You can't get mad at another business for just doing business better than you.

The reason the results and Purdue and blah blah get brought into it is the results are what matter. The inference that the SEC is helping along the results to benefit to Alabama are a complete moot point if Ohio State just beats a 6-6 team and then they'd have their shot at Alabama. The argument could maybe hold 1% of weight if the only loss Ohio State had was Michigan, who they didn't get a bye week before. So I think.

a. The schedules are set too far in advance to manipulate
b. Even if they WERE manipulated, good on the SEC for helping their own teams in the business they run
c. Just beat the lowly people of the world in your own conference and none of this matters, because both teams would be in the playoff every year.

I'm not really 'arguing' either, it just seems pretty cut and dry to me, when all of the results are controllable, and controllable in a fashion that is irrelevant to the argument (i.e. you shouldn't need a bye before Purdue)


And to this I agree, but I fail to see where I got mad or upset at the SEC? I am guessing you and some others read this as "It shouldbe criminal the SEC does this" when in fact I meant it to say "It should criminal the BIG does this"...I don't think I have dogged on SEC much in this thread at all, other than a short strectch when discussing the SOS argument, but otherwise I have said the SEC is helping its teams and BIG is hurting. How is that dogging on the SEC. I totally agree the SEC is doing football business better (although sports is about all most of the SEC schools do better than any other conference clap ) than the BIG. I just think to the BIG, football is so far down the list of things that matter to them, they just don't care enough. I think better put, the BIG isn't hanging its hat on the accomplishments of their football programs.

I pointed out in another thread the BIG makes OSU play an uphill battle, and this isn't a whine and sob story so please don't take it as such, but we all know well and good if Bama were to have a schedule that looked like OSU, and they had one loss to any school, the bama fans would be all over it saying it was a tough SEC schedule and you can't expect the boys to be on point every week in that grueling schedule. The easy answer to this is Bama wouldn't lose to Ole miss or aTm or whoever is on their schedule, but recent history tells us just the opposite. Going through a season undefeated is very tough when playing in a decent conference. We all know this. When tough games are stacked on top of each other and there is no rest in between, it is a dog fight. We all know this, but somehow when things are pointed out in a forum everyone acts like these things don't matter and elite teams should be able to rise to the top every week, all season long. If that's the case, lets take away any natty that wasn't for an undefeated team...yet that's what is being argued in these forums..teams need to be perfect all season long and have no blemish. Despite being a great team, one loss means you aren't. Its all about win win win. yet then other aspects are brought up because we all know it isn't about win win win...

Re: This really ought to be criminal [Re: Texas buckeye] #7367984 12/05/18 10:18 PM
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 8,455
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 8,455
Buckeye.

I guess no one understands the rambling.

You posted Alabama schedule compared to OSU and said it was criminal.

As it has been pointed out, over and over, OSU is not playing any powerhouse teams.
A couple ranked teams, just like everyone else.

ALL SEC teams have 2 bye weeks, just like the Big 12 did. This is nothing new.

Re: This really ought to be criminal [Re: Texas buckeye] #7368000 12/05/18 10:32 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,007
T
Texas buckeye Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,007
Roll, if that's all you take from this, then its ok confused2

Re: This really ought to be criminal [Re: Texas buckeye] #7368002 12/05/18 10:36 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 337
K
ksjmf Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
K
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 337
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye

How is it that you can always get your bye weeks before the two toughest games of the season and then play a chump team before your rival? Also, notice the lack of any good teams from the east (Georgia, Florida) so these teams if they make it to the conference championship are ranked higher due to not having a loss already against them.



Once again, my bad! Since this was in the original post, I thought your main point was the SEC and/or Alabama was doing something illegal or at least unethical in their scheduling of bye weeks before tough games. Looking back i should have realized that you (along with most) know that these schedules are set way in advance and it was a slight jab at the Big 10 and OSU for not adopting this process for themselves. I apologize again!

Just to be sure though, lets try to find some common ground in all this. We both (and even everyone else who commented on this thread) agree that the SEC football programs as a whole are the most talented and have played the toughest schedules in College Football for the past few years, correct?

Re: This really ought to be criminal [Re: Texas buckeye] #7368005 12/05/18 10:40 PM
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 8,455
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 8,455
BIG 10 is a powerhouse at womenís volleyball.

If that helps. I donít know how they schedule opponents. But they dominate.

Re: This really ought to be criminal [Re: ksjmf] #7368018 12/05/18 10:50 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,007
T
Texas buckeye Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,007
Originally Posted by ksjmf
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye

How is it that you can always get your bye weeks before the two toughest games of the season and then play a chump team before your rival? Also, notice the lack of any good teams from the east (Georgia, Florida) so these teams if they make it to the conference championship are ranked higher due to not having a loss already against them.



Once again, my bad! Since this was in the original post, I thought your main point was the SEC and/or Alabama was doing something illegal or at least unethical in their scheduling of bye weeks before tough games. Looking back i should have realized that you (along with most) know that these schedules are set way in advance and it was a slight jab at the Big 10 and OSU for not adopting this process for themselves. I apologize again!

Just to be sure though, lets try to find some common ground in all this. We both (and even everyone else who commented on this thread) agree that the SEC football programs as a whole are the most talented and have played the toughest schedules in College Football for the past few years, correct?


I think the top is very heavy in the SEC, and the bottom is very weak, and the bottom this year was large. I believe the BIG would have gone even par with the SEC this year, although I do believe bama would beat everyone but probably be 50/50 with OSU this year. Last year, I would have argued the same.

But since you brought up schedules, look at my post a few back where I discussed who these SEC teams have played. There is little to no OOC match up that gives any indication of how good these teams are. Mid TN St, CO St, Miami this year was just garbage. I give props to aTm, LSU and Bama for consistently trying to schedule good school OOC, but this year was just a dud. It happens, that isn't their fault. But the "SEC is the best conference" thing is circular logic that falls because they all beat each other, yet everyone wants them to be good so they all are good because they all beat each other. As I pointed out, Georgia's big win was over Florida. Florida was deemed good because they beat LSU. LSU was good because they beat Georgia....The only good team you could make out of it all was Bama because they beat everyone they played
confused2

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 12/05/18 10:52 PM.
Re: This really ought to be criminal [Re: Texas buckeye] #7368021 12/05/18 10:52 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,007
T
Texas buckeye Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,007
^^^ having said all that, SEC (and I would argue BIG) are far and away better than the ACC, big 12 and PAC.

Re: This really ought to be criminal [Re: Roll-Tide] #7368026 12/05/18 10:58 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,007
T
Texas buckeye Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,007
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
BIG 10 is a powerhouse at women’s volleyball.

If that helps. I don’t know how they schedule opponents. But they dominate.


They play, and the best teams go to a playoff where more than 4 teams are chosen and they play it out. Something the NCAA FBS might take into consideration.
The 13 person playoff committee is so open to bias and one person can swing a vote so much I would almost rather see the AP poll used, as terrible as that is. And when you have folks that need to abstain from votes because their team or a team from their conference is in the running, then things can get way biased really quickly.

Just open it to a 8 team playoff, we don't need 16 or 32, just 8. That way we can get the 5 power 5 champs, and 3 at larges and we wouldn't need to have these discussions anymore.

Re: This really ought to be criminal [Re: Texas buckeye] #7368256 12/06/18 02:37 AM
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 445
E
Esh and Hattie Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
E
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 445
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
^^^ having said all that, SEC (and I would argue BIG) are far and away better than the ACC, big 12 and PAC.


To get off topic, I think Iowa state wouldíve made the big 10 championship against Ohio state. Big 10 is a 1.5 team conference, Michigan is ok, but wouldíve lost 3+ games in the big 12 or SEC. I think Michigan and Texas are very similar teams.

Re: This really ought to be criminal [Re: Texas buckeye] #7368293 12/06/18 03:21 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 337
K
ksjmf Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
K
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 337
[quote=Texas buckeye

I think the top is very heavy in the SEC, and the bottom is very weak, and the bottom this year was large. I believe the BIG would have gone even par with the SEC this year, although I do believe bama would beat everyone but probably be 50/50 with OSU this year. Last year, I would have argued the same.
:[/quote]

I guess we are not going to find any common ground on this. I think you just said that OSU was as good as Alabama? That is going to be hard to agree with for anybody not with significant Ohio ties! Now it seems that most of your posts are designed to discredit the SEC and justify why OSU has been ďOverlookedĒ for the last two years. How many more wins, players to the NFL, National championships, out of conference wins would it take for you to acknowledge the level of competition in the SEC is superior to that of other conferences? There does have to be one that is the best. And one that is the worst. Rationalization is a powerful coping mechanism.

Re: This really ought to be criminal [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7368302 12/06/18 03:34 AM
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,291
8
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
8
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,291
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Whatís criminal is undefeated teams are denied the chance to win a championship. It doesnít happen in any other major sport.

Too many teams for everyone to play in the playoffs so it goes to a committee to decide whoís in. Easy for them to look past teams like UCF that would get pounded by most top 10 teams. Why waste extra weeks watching these weaker(undefeated) teams get smashed by Clemson or Alabama? Easier and faster to just cut the fat off, undefeated or not.

Re: This really ought to be criminal [Re: Texas buckeye] #7368316 12/06/18 03:54 AM
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 8,455
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 8,455
I donít think Buckeye thinks OSU is in the same category as Alabama. I would put them more in an OU caliber program. Which is still a solid program. But realistically competes for a NC a few times every 25 year period

Re: This really ought to be criminal [Re: Texas buckeye] #7368332 12/06/18 04:29 AM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 161
Z
ZachTisdale Offline
Woodsman
Offline
Woodsman
Z
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 161
Since 2000, Alabama has 5 Natty's... tOSU has 2.

Since 2000, The SEC has 10 Natty's, including 7 in a row from 2006-2013.... The Big 10 has 2.

They're the champs till they ain't.... just my humble opinion.

And the SEC has had the same schedule format for as long as I can remember. If they crossed over more often, Alabama v Georgia... Florida v LSU... Auburn v Georgia.. every year... You would hardly ever have an SEC team fo undefeated and make the BCS or CFP.... but that seems like what some people want.

Re: This really ought to be criminal [Re: 8pointdrop] #7368339 12/06/18 04:39 AM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 9,415
D
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 9,415
Originally Posted by 8pointdrop
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Whatís criminal is undefeated teams are denied the chance to win a championship. It doesnít happen in any other major sport.

Too many teams for everyone to play in the playoffs so it goes to a committee to decide whoís in. Easy for them to look past teams like UCF that would get pounded by most top 10 teams. Why waste extra weeks watching these weaker(undefeated) teams get smashed by Clemson or Alabama? Easier and faster to just cut the fat off, undefeated or not.


1) It works in high school, Division 3, division 2 division 1 FCS and the NFL, NBA, MLB and every sport ever. Every level has a true playoff system.
2) Itís about fairness and who deserves a chance to play, not who gets blown out or might get blown out. You earn the right to get pounded by Bama (but UCF handily beat a good Auburn team in the Peach Bowl last year, and before you say it, no, it doesnít matter if Auburn didnít feel the need to show up).
3) Do you watch any bowl games other than the playoff games? Did you ever watch any bowl games before the playoff system started? Ever watched a team with one or more losses play another team? Why waste extra time watching weaker teams play at all?
4) Why not just put Clemson and Alabama in the finals every year and forget about everyone else? Notre Dame is weaker but undefeated. Might win a playoff game. OSU might have won a playoff game but lost to a much weaker Purdue team. Why does every other level of football have a true playoff system that everyone watches and agrees is good, but so many people are resistant and poo poo all over the thought of implementing it in major college football? Itís bizarre.

College sports are not about eye tests, or ďthis is clearly the better team even though they lost a game and didnít make their conference championship.Ē Or, ďthis team shouldnít be in because we KNOW that team is incapable of beating this other team we think is better.

No other sport does it like this. Itís not a championship. Itís better than the BCS but itís not close to perfect. It wouldnít be a waste of weeks and if you wouldnít watch, then youíre not a college football fan. Millions of people spend countless hours watching the opening weekend of March Madness. Millions of people spend countless hours watching meaningless bowl games and a flawed playoff system. If you wouldnít watch, you just donít care anyway, so why does it matter if there are some extra games?


Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.


Re: This really ought to be criminal [Re: Texas buckeye] #7368345 12/06/18 05:16 AM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,007
T
Texas buckeye Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,007
Because the people who are benefiting from the current system are scared they would lose the monopoly.

Zach tisdale even said it above, if Georgia and Alabama and Florida all played in the regular season more in cross over play, we wouldnít have as many undefeated seasons....

And yes, I do think if given the chance last year and this year OSU would be every bit s good as bama and a game between those schools would be about a 50/50 match up. One hiccup in the middle of the season has prevented that both years. Laugh all you want and discredit all you want, but at the end of the year last year and this year no one wanted to play OSU.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3