Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Pink slip at the deer lease #7360507 11/28/18 01:11 PM
7mag Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
With all the threads on etiquette, helping at the lease etc. I got to thinking. Have you ever given anyone a pink slip at the deer lease for violating rules, breaking laws, etc? I am curious if you have been given the slip as well, but I don't see anyone stepping up and raising their hand on that one.

Our lease has had a few in the short amount of time I have been on that have got the boot. No, I don't make those decisions the head lease guy does.

BTW going around bragging and telling other members "I will do what I want, I paid for this lease" will get you the possibility of things. One a pink slip the other an infection of busted mouth.

Last edited by 7mag; 11/28/18 01:12 PM.

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Pink slip at the deer lease [Re: 7mag] #7360516 11/28/18 01:23 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
We had a long time member who was politely ask to not renew his membership. He had been on the lease around 20 years. Had he not accepted the request we would have voted him off. This guy was great camp company but his hunting ethics were the worst I’ve ever seen. He actually drug two doe with no tags into camp with a 22 Mag the only weapon in his possession. The last year he was on the lease he set up a hog trap 20 yards from my stand. Had his friend coming to check the trap when he wasn’t even there, but I was. That went over well. He hunted everyone’s stand, checked their feeders for them, etc.

Re: Pink slip at the deer lease [Re: 7mag] #7360529 11/28/18 01:38 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Known a few that probably should have but never been on a lease that kicked someone off. I have had the good fortune of hunting with some pretty good people. Also helps that I hunted with my brother, dad, and great uncle, but there were always others on the lease as well.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Pink slip at the deer lease [Re: 7mag] #7360531 11/28/18 01:39 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by 7mag
With all the threads on etiquette, helping at the lease etc. I got to thinking. Have you ever given anyone a pink slip at the deer lease for violating rules, breaking laws, etc? I am curious if you have been given the slip as well, but I don't see anyone stepping up and raising their hand on that one.

Our lease has had a few in the short amount of time I have been on that have got the boot. No, I don't make those decisions the head lease guy does.

BTW going around bragging and telling other members "I will do what I want, I paid for this lease" will get you the possibility of things. One a pink slip the other an infection of busted mouth.

Never have and you have to be a pretty big douche for it to lead to that in my book. A really bad apple in the group can make the whole lease go south for everyone. Have heard of groups of 8-10 being knocked off a lease by landowner based on the actions of 1. My word of advice is to keep those instances contained and not let the landowner catch wind if possible. Landowners often will dismiss all to not have to deal with one...

Re: Pink slip at the deer lease [Re: 7mag] #7360533 11/28/18 01:39 PM
W
Walkabout Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Yeah I gotta pink slip from best lease I ever had. Gal that I was seeing got me in with her son in law hunted the place almost two seasons. She wanted to get married I did not. No lease no more. Imagine that. As they say "He'll hath no fury...".

Re: Pink slip at the deer lease [Re: 7mag] #7360546 11/28/18 01:53 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I gave a guy the boot during deer season. Told him that after his first season he wouldn't be welcomed back. He had hunted all his life, free on a buddies place. He told me he was ready to be on a lease since his free gig had ended. I gave him three simple rules related to ATV use, guest policy and stand placement. As soon as he pays, he starts contacting the land owner to discuss lease business related to the rules I gave him. He then started bugging me about all the rules and told me he didn't have to follow my rules since I didn't own the place. He wanted to bring his drinking buddies during deer season to hog hunt, since shooting hogs "wasn't really hunting", according to his understanding of hunting. Not to mention, he had a bad habit of being obnoxious, overbearing, name calling and just in general not being very bright. I have never been so wrong about a person. I had known him about three years. We worked out at the same gym. I later realized that all of my conversations with him were there, during the noon hour. Apparently this was the only time of the day he was sober. I later learned that he had a real drinking problem, a couple of DWI's and according to one of his drunken rants didn't really grow up until he was 40 years old. I don't think he's there yet. Too bad, the lease was great and I had planned to give it up after his first season and let him have it in hopes that I could come back to it a few years later while I hunted another part of the state. I talked to the land owner, told him everything. He did not offer the place to him. A group of great hunters got it.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Pink slip at the deer lease [Re: 7mag] #7360553 11/28/18 01:59 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I saw it happen once with first-year members who used the lease and camp house as a place to smoke dope and get high.

If you view a lease as a place for this type of activity, you best make sure other members view the lease in the same way,

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Pink slip at the deer lease [Re: 7mag] #7360563 11/28/18 02:09 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I had to run a guy off a lease once. And he was a good friend. But he wouldn't follow the rules. Let his son's friend kill a buck he was specifically told not to kill. Left a bloody rattlesnake on our brand new concrete front porch. I was on my knees with a bucket of soapy water and a scrub brush when the landowner drove up. He's was none to happy about it. The most difficult part of managing a lease, or a ranch for trophy deer, is managing the people.

Re: Pink slip at the deer lease [Re: 7mag] #7360572 11/28/18 02:17 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
There's about an even chance I'd say of one particular member and/or his family eventually getting us kicked off the place. I try to plan my trips for when they're not there. One of those borderline types when it comes to ethics and game laws. I might get off before it happens. I struggle with weighing the benefits versus the hassle.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Pink slip at the deer lease [Re: 7mag] #7360652 11/28/18 03:14 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I have seen people get kicked off for various reasons, but never been kicked off myself though.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Pink slip at the deer lease [Re: 7mag] #7360687 11/28/18 03:40 PM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Haven't received one myself, if I'm not happy with rules I leave on my own, or not join in the first place. And have had to terminate a couple on the lease I am now on... It is hard to enjoy the hunt, and reach your goals, whatever they are, with a divided camp.

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: Pink slip at the deer lease [Re: 7mag] #7360733 11/28/18 04:18 PM
O
oldstyle244 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
Buddy and I joined a lease once and the guy running it seemed really nice and swore up and down it was a family friendly lease, which was important to me as my daughter was 4 at the time and would be down at the lease with me quite a bit.

Didn't take long for his true colors to show, I drink at camp, but he would get belligerently drunk and just be awful fowl mouthed jerk, he would talk about his young wife and his swinger lifestyle (in front on my daughter), he would "accidentally" send texts to people that were just awful,

Started changing up the rules, it was terrible, he acted as if he owned the place and we were just there to help him pay for it, I lasted one season and then left.

Buddy and I found a place big enough to start our own lease and haven't looked back (been there 6 or so years now). We have 10 guys in the current lease and rules are pretty basic, don't be a jerk and follow all game laws. Haven't had any issues at all.

Re: Pink slip at the deer lease [Re: Creekrunner] #7360743 11/28/18 04:28 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
There's about an even chance I'd say of one particular member and/or his family eventually getting us kicked off the place. I try to plan my trips for when they're not there. One of those borderline types when it comes to ethics and game laws. I might get off before it happens. I struggle with weighing the benefits versus the hassle.

Plan a trip when he is there, but call the GW first. Ask him to come out and chat and feed him. Could scare the other leaser straight knowing the GW is watching, or he might get caught in a lie and easy to kick off the lease.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Pink slip at the deer lease [Re: 7mag] #7360876 11/28/18 05:33 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Was on a place for many years with mostly great guys, but one of the group became more and more of a pain each year. We all enjoyed a couple of cocktails, but he went over the top several times and started a few near fights while drunk. He was informed he had warn out his welcome.

Had another situation on a different place where one of the group decided he was a much more serious hunter than the rest of us and we were cramping his style. He went to landowner and informed him that he was going to take and manage one of the hunting areas as his own - notice I did not say he asked. Landowner informed him that "no he would not" and as a matter of fact, he should probably "move along".

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Pink slip at the deer lease [Re: 7mag] #7360879 11/28/18 05:34 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Well, kind of... weird story. It had nothing to do with breaking rules. I have a neighbor that told me about 5 years ago all about this place in the hill country where he was working on getting the hunting rights. He and a buddy were looking for another couple of guns and my brother and I were not happy with the place we were on, but that is a whole different story... I'll just say... Danny Courville.

So we got on it even knowing we were paying double what they were. Their logic was that they had been working with the landowner for years and they had put in a lot of time and work. OK, the price was still good so we agreed. They apparently considered themselves the lease manager(s), which is how this whole thing came about. During the season the neighbor posts up on social media about his twenty-something year old son's buck. It was a 1.5 year old 4 pt that he thought was a spike. Well, I posted up on here about whether or not that should get under my skin... because it did. He was not supposed to be in a blind by himself where his inexperience could lead to a mistake, but I'll stop myself from getting back into it.

Neighbor happens to get on here and sees it LOL. Mind you, I did alter the pic to hide his face, didn't use names, or even where this happened. They get all bent out of shape and send me a certified letter basically saying what a bad guy I am for doing that and that I'm no longer welcome after the lease season is over. After giving it some thought I approached the landowner, who already knew the whole story, to get his opinion. He is a capitalist and did not see them as managers. My brother and I hunted it without them the following season before he sold it. We also hunted the place he bought with the proceeds for a year or two, but it was too far away and have since found a great place a lot closer.

That neighbor still holds a grudge. His wife talks to me all the time when I run into her out front, but he avoids me like the plague. He is convinced I'm a big guy and a loose cannon that hates him... but I don't. Now I'm not inviting his sorry arse over for a cold beer anytime soon, but I don't wish him any harm.

Re: Pink slip at the deer lease [Re: 7mag] #7360892 11/28/18 05:39 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I wouldn't give all authority to one lease member. I would have one guy in charge but when it comes to removing someone from the lease it should be a group vote so the one guy doesn't have too much power.

Re: Pink slip at the deer lease [Re: 7mag] #7360903 11/28/18 05:45 PM
jim1961 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Sometimes I just have to do it, regardless of friends or the amount of time on the lease. Our rules are very clear on what is tolerated and what is not. It sucks, but you have to be equitable to all parties

Re: Pink slip at the deer lease [Re: 7mag] #7360962 11/28/18 06:35 PM
S
Shotgun Willie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
We had one guy who was a cancer upon our place for years. Always complaining, arguing with everyone, crowding other's space. Used to let his space cadet son run around like a methed out banshee without his ADD medication since "He should be allowed to have fun and relax out here too." One day he had a blow up with me, and I'd had enough. Turned around, walked away, and never spoke to him again. He got in touch with my brother who bought him out of his spot, and upon leaving, he vandalized the land, slashed the tires on the camp mower, just a bunch of piddly stuff. Thought about suing for damages, but realized it was just better to sever ties and not have to see him again. We haven't had a single problem since.

Sometimes you gotta trim the fat. Even if the fat is a 45 year old trust fund baby with an inferiority complex.

Re: Pink slip at the deer lease [Re: jim1961] #7360967 11/28/18 06:39 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by jim1961
Sometimes I just have to do it, regardless of friends or the amount of time on the lease. Our rules are very clear on what is tolerated and what is not. It sucks, but you have to be equitable to all parties

Sums it up well.

Re: Pink slip at the deer lease [Re: 7mag] #7360989 11/28/18 06:55 PM
Roll-Tide Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
By default I have become the senior guy and am looked at to make the decisions. I have never pink slipped anyone, but Majority wants me to do it next year to a guy.

Sometimes these guys try to vent to me like a sewing circle. Keep this under your hat, I may be abandoning them next year.

Re: Pink slip at the deer lease [Re: SapperTitan] #7360998 11/28/18 06:59 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted by SapperTitan
I wouldn't give all authority to one lease member. I would have one guy in charge but when it comes to removing someone from the lease it should be a group vote so the one guy doesn't have too much power.

The place we were on for over 30 years was that way. But the LO would only accept the total lease payment from only one person we designated. That way he kept out of the politics and we decided who stays and who goes. In those 30 years we kicked off 2 hunters. #1 Got mad because the cattle constantly ruined his feeder pen and hunting. One morning he drove up to the LO's house. The LO wasn't home, but his wife was who received the tongue lashing. The LO called me and said that guy better be gone before he shows up. #2. LO's oldest son was a band member wannabe. While the LO and wife were gone for the weekend, the son invited a few of his friends over for a Saturday evening jam session during deer season. One member took it personally and did donuts in LO's front yard with his 4x4 pickup. Again, I got the call, but #2 had already packed his stuff and permanently removed him self from the lease. The LO made his son come to camp and apologize to each one of us and promised no more jam sessions on ranch. They would find another place to practice.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Pink slip at the deer lease [Re: 7mag] #7361034 11/28/18 07:33 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Not all circumstances are the same so for me there isn't a one size fits all approach. Never gotten the boot or given the boot but boy I aint too far from just paying the tab myself and doing what I want to with the lease.

Re: Pink slip at the deer lease [Re: 7mag] #7361078 11/28/18 08:09 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Lots of interesting stories and reminders of why I finally bit the bullet and bought my own place. It isn't very big, but I can manage it how it works best for me. I have made friends with my neighbors and we try to coordinate hunting and management when possible. Financially, it can be a hardship, but hey, it is land and they aren't making any more of it.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Pink slip at the deer lease [Re: Creekrunner] #7361082 11/28/18 08:16 PM
B
Brother Phil Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
To Creekrunner, what is the benefit?

Re: Pink slip at the deer lease [Re: 7mag] #7361087 11/28/18 08:21 PM
R
Russ79 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Shotgun Willie, sounds like a couple of folks I had on my lease. Had a blow-up a couple of years ago right after first weekend of bow season and had to cut a couple of guys loose. Trash talked me on a public forum (not this one), were enraged that one member brought a friend with him to hunt opening weekend of bow season (we don't have a rule against that but do for bag limits by guests), and just generally have been pains since they had been on. I actually talked to all the members about this before I confronted them and every member, to a man, offered to help pay their lease membership back to get them gone. There was a couple petty things that were done on the way out that I won't get into but replaced them with two much better members.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide