texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
JoeyZ84, Swampman, arguimj, BO-N-ARO, Mpwilson27
65879 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 94,610
bill oxner 58,115
stxranchman 55,296
SnakeWrangler 47,432
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,436
BMD 41,029
Big Orn 37,484
Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums45
Topics439,182
Posts6,372,251
Members65,879
Most Online16,728
Mar 25th, 2012
Print Thread
BACON WRAPPED STUFFED BACKSTRAP #7360294 11/28/18 02:51 AM
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,752
D
dlrz71 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,752
I grilled up some cream cheese dice jalapeno filled backstrap wrapped in bacon at the lease this past weekend. It was very good but I overcooked it and was a little dry. How long do you guys usually cook these to keep them no more than medium and still get the bacon done?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: BACON WRAPPED STUFFED BACKSTRAP [Re: dlrz71] #7360322 11/28/18 03:15 AM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,227
B
BayouGuy Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,227
Instant read meat thermometers are your friend. I do internal temperature of 120 degrees. I also precook the bacon a bit in the microwave.


If you can't laugh at yourself, give me a call. I'll gladly laugh at you.
Re: BACON WRAPPED STUFFED BACKSTRAP [Re: BayouGuy] #7360373 11/28/18 04:35 AM
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 14,889
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 14,889
Originally Posted by BayouGuy
Instant read meat thermometers are your friend. I do internal temperature of 120 degrees. I also precook the bacon a bit in the microwave.


For game meats, you have to pre cook the bacon.


Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
"The Bigley Group"
Premier Legacy Real Estate, LLC.
www.PremierLegacyRealEstate.com
WDews@premierlegacyrealestate.com
214-356-2410

Re: BACON WRAPPED STUFFED BACKSTRAP [Re: dlrz71] #7360389 11/28/18 05:07 AM
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 14,833
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 14,833
Do yourself a favor and brine that backstrap. Then stuff it with your same filling (season the inside of the meat a little too), and use the cheap THIN aggravating bacon....or pre-cook some thick cut. I've never used a meat thermometer on backstrap so I dunno. Guess I've learned to use my eyes. If you really want to set that off, I like to melt some strawberry preserves in a little bowl and glaze that strap right before it's done. Lord have mercy.


What works for me, is when the thin (once wrapped) bacon looks about done glaze it (cook indirect heat the whole time). Give it 5 minutes after the glaze and pull it. I've never been able to let it rest for 5 more because sometimes people are like coyotes.

Re: BACON WRAPPED STUFFED BACKSTRAP [Re: dlrz71] #7360409 11/28/18 05:35 AM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,227
B
BayouGuy Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,227
Quote
I like to melt some strawberry preserves in a little bowl and glaze that strap right before it's done.


Try glazing with pepper jelly Skinnerback. Awesomeness.


If you can't laugh at yourself, give me a call. I'll gladly laugh at you.
Re: BACON WRAPPED STUFFED BACKSTRAP [Re: dlrz71] #7360570 11/28/18 02:14 PM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 31,894
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 31,894
I eat mine too rare to stuff with anything.


It's hell eatin em live
Re: BACON WRAPPED STUFFED BACKSTRAP [Re: redchevy] #7360730 11/28/18 04:14 PM
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,793
S
snake oil Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,793
Originally Posted by redchevy
I eat mine too rare to stuff with anything.



Me too.... up

Re: BACON WRAPPED STUFFED BACKSTRAP [Re: dlrz71] #7360790 11/28/18 04:55 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 26,311
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 26,311
Sounds good and I would certainly indulge in some, but I like mine lightly seasoned then grilled medium rare up


texas flag [Linked Image]

Happy Holidays!!
Re: BACON WRAPPED STUFFED BACKSTRAP [Re: skinnerback] #7360847 11/28/18 05:22 PM
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 47,432
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 47,432
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Do yourself a favor and brine that backstrap. Then stuff it with your same filling (season the inside of the meat a little too), and use the cheap THIN aggravating bacon....or pre-cook some thick cut. I've never used a meat thermometer on backstrap so I dunno. Guess I've learned to use my eyes. If you really want to set that off, I like to melt some strawberry preserves in a little bowl and glaze that strap right before it's done. Lord have mercy.


What works for me, is when the thin (once wrapped) bacon looks about done glaze it (cook indirect heat the whole time). Give it 5 minutes after the glaze and pull it. I've never been able to let it rest for 5 more because sometimes people are like coyotes.

flehan


Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Milf does the trick.

"You're statistically more likely to be killed by Hillary Clinton than an NRA member. - PolitiDiva

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: BACON WRAPPED STUFFED BACKSTRAP [Re: dlrz71] #7362521 11/30/18 02:16 AM
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,752
D
dlrz71 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,752
Thanks guys!!

Re: BACON WRAPPED STUFFED BACKSTRAP [Re: BayouGuy] #7363277 12/01/18 12:36 AM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 18,364
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 18,364
Originally Posted by BayouGuy
Quote
I like to melt some strawberry preserves in a little bowl and glaze that strap right before it's done.


Try glazing with pepper jelly Skinnerback. Awesomeness.


Bacon Jam

Re: BACON WRAPPED STUFFED BACKSTRAP [Re: dlrz71] #7364123 12/02/18 01:42 AM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 584
J
JCO Offline
Tracker
Offline
Tracker
J
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 584
Looks damn good. Youll get the timing worked out with all the good suggestions.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3